Gauging The Interest: Pro Wrestling Draft

nZane

(Concept shamelessly stolen from FOFC.) I'd been contemplating something like this for a while now and I wanted to see if there was any interest behind it. Most of us are (were) wrestling fans, and drafts are fun, so why not? [u]The Idea[/u] The basic idea behind this is to build a better team of wrestling stars from all generations than your fellow drafters. As the picks are made, you can justify why you chose him/her/them in that particular spot. When the draft is over, everyone can step up and talk about why they feel their particular team is the best. Then, everyone can vote on who they feel picked the best team. It's basically just to get some easy-going discussion active. Nothing too life threatening. [u]The Basics[/u] - 10 to 15 drafters (or more, if interest is sufficient) - 12 round snake-style draft - You have to pick someone to fit in each category. Keep in mind that your selection would be for that specific time frame. Thus, choosing John Cena for your 1991-2000 category wouldn't do you any good! :p - The categories (up for debate, obviously) +In-ring Competitor (2001 - present) +Owner/Booker/Promoter (2001 - present) +Personality (2001 - present) +In-ring Competitor (1991 - 2000) +Owner/Booker/Promoter (1991 - 2000) +Personality (1991 - 2000) +In-ring Competitor (1981 - 1990) +Owner/Booker/Promoter (1981 - 1990) +Personality (1981 - 1990) +In-ring Competitor (Prior to 1981) +Owner/Booker/Promoter (Prior to 1981) +Personality (Prior to 1981) - Each wrestling star can only be picked in one category. For example, if you choose Shawn Michaels for his 1991-2000 body of work, he cannot be taken for his 2001-present body of work. - Personality can encompass anyone who isn't specifically known for their in-ring exploits. Announcers, managers, referees, etc. -The actual draft wouldn't have to be in any big hurry. It could take place over the span of a week or longer, so time shouldn't be a concern to people. So, thoughts? Comments? Indifference?

[QUOTE=nZane;379816[u]The Basics[/u] - 10 to 15 drafters (or more, if interest is sufficient) - 12 round snake-style draft - You have to pick someone to fit in each category. Keep in mind that your selection would be for that specific time frame. Thus, choosing John Cena for your 1991-2000 category wouldn't do you any good! :p - The categories (up for debate, obviously) +In-ring Competitor (2001 - present) +Owner/Booker/Promoter (2001 - present) +Personality (2001 - present) +In-ring Competitor (1991 - 2000) +Owner/Booker/Promoter (1991 - 2000) +Personality (1991 - 2000) +In-ring Competitor (1981 - 1990) +Owner/Booker/Promoter (1981 - 1990) +Personality (1981 - 1990) +In-ring Competitor (Prior to 1981) +Owner/Booker/Promoter (Prior to 1981) +Personality (Prior to 1981) - Each wrestling star can only be picked in one category. For example, if you choose Shawn Michaels for his 1991-2000 body of work, he cannot be taken for his 2001-present body of work. - Personality can encompass anyone who isn't specifically known for their in-ring exploits. Announcers, managers, referees, etc. -The actual draft wouldn't have to be in any big hurry. It could take place over the span of a week or longer, so time shouldn't be a concern to people. [/QUOTE] I think you might want some different categories here. The thing you've got to remember is a lot of us here are youngsters and don't have the perspective to be drafting folks prior to 1981. Especially in the personality and promotion categories. Not to mention the fact that those of us who may have seen all the eras you give categories for may not have equal perspectives on these eras. For instance, I'd be very uneasy trying to draft someone for up-to-date categories. I haven't had the available options in the modern era that I did in the 80's or 90's. So my viewing in the now categories has been scattershot at best. Decent idea but I think the categories need to be in easier terms to discuss.

[QUOTE=cappyboy;379837]I think you might want some different categories here. The thing you've got to remember is a lot of us here are youngsters and don't have the perspective to be drafting folks prior to 1981. Especially in the personality and promotion categories. Not to mention the fact that those of us who may have seen all the eras you give categories for may not have equal perspectives on these eras. For instance, I'd be very uneasy trying to draft someone for up-to-date categories. I haven't had the available options in the modern era that I did in the 80's or 90's. So my viewing in the now categories has been scattershot at best. Decent idea but I think the categories need to be in easier terms to discuss.[/QUOTE] I think this is the whole point, as your reasons for drafting someone would be different than another person's reasons. You may have just heard about someone being good in that era, or something of the sort, while another person may have actually watched them. It would actually be pretty good for learning something about wrestling back then that you didn't know.

[QUOTE=Akki;379941]I think this is the whole point, as your reasons for drafting someone would be different than another person's reasons. You may have just heard about someone being good in that era, or something of the sort, while another person may have actually watched them. It would actually be pretty good for learning something about wrestling back then that you didn't know.[/QUOTE] All well and good except folks may be left not being able to even pick slots for lack of ideas. Like say I took Vinnie Mac for promoter 81-90 which to me would seem the most likely slot for him. There would be no one for me take in the modern era. I haven't seen anybody but WWE's work consistently enough to draft anybody over the last seven years. Just hasn't been possible in my media market. The only other people I'd even be able to name off the top of my head would be the Jarretts. And based off what I know and have seen of TNA I'm not sure I'd want them in the post 01 category. Ditto for personalities outside the 81-2000 window. I can't be sure I could even find anybody to pick at those "positions". Good idea to be sure but maybe the categories should be a little less esoteric. I question how many people would even be able to field a complete roster. I'm almost positive I couldn't.

[QUOTE=cappyboy;380031]All well and good except folks may be left not being able to even pick slots for lack of ideas. Like say I took Vinnie Mac for promoter 81-90 which to me would seem the most likely slot for him. There would be no one for me take in the modern era. I haven't seen anybody but WWE's work consistently enough to draft anybody over the last seven years. Just hasn't been possible in my media market. The only other people I'd even be able to name off the top of my head would be the Jarretts. And based off what I know and have seen of TNA I'm not sure I'd want them in the post 01 category. Ditto for personalities outside the 81-2000 window. I can't be sure I could even find anybody to pick at those "positions". Good idea to be sure but maybe the categories should be a little less esoteric. I question how many people would even be able to field a complete roster. I'm almost positive I couldn't.[/QUOTE] Then Vinnie Mac better be your number 1 pick brother! Otherwise learn to use Wikipedia and just wing it! As for me I pick The Ultimate Warrior for all categories and time periods!!! aaaarrrrrggghhhhhhh!!!!

Archived