Developer Diary Conversation #1 - The Offseason

I think we should have an organized area to post ideas on different developer diaries. So, there's this thread. Go ahead and post away your thoughts on how the offseason should be handled leading up to the draft! How should free agency be done? What should the flow be? Your opinions, right here.

Good idea, Brother Comey. In the wrestling section we have one of these up going over all the points Adam brings up. Hopefully Arlie will find the feedback as helpful as Brother Ryland has over the years. Wish I had some for him at the moment. But the topic he's asking about isn't one I've had a great deal of issue with in past games. But if other folks have ideas maybe I can find some debate fodder and contribute to the topic that way.

I think the sequence in TPF was a solid way to handle resigning free agents and the RFA/UFA time periods. The only problems I had are with the contracts players are willing to accept when resigning, and the fact that lower ability guys don't seem to sign with a team when they have an offer, even if the team is offering more money than they are expecting.

TPF basically allowed you to sign/resign anyone and everyone you wanted. The cap/player signings need to be tightened up from that version. Also coach hiring needs to be addressed. Bowl bound sticks you with crap coordinators if you happen to miss on a couple guys. Also the ability to create/edit coordinators.

[QUOTE=Meat;387317]TPF basically allowed you to sign/resign anyone and everyone you wanted. The cap/player signings need to be tightened up from that version. Also coach hiring needs to be addressed. Bowl bound sticks you with crap coordinators if you happen to miss on a couple guys. Also the ability to create/edit coordinators.[/QUOTE] Please keep in mind, this is *not* about gameplay. This is about the structure of the offseason.

dola-- I think the FOF way, of splitting up FA into two periods, sandwiching the draft, is a pretty good method. When you draft, there's usually casualties afterwards. The late FA is a great way to mimic that period. This is how I would envision the offseason: Week 1: Player designations (tags), send scouts to combine to scout, either individual players, positions, or a general class (with more or less information based on what you choose...individual players, you'd get more information; position-wise, you'd get info, but not as much as single players; a general class, you'd get the basic info on everyone, but not in-depth information). (This is just for free agency. Coaching and retirements could be handled in three weeks prior to this period) Week 1: Free agency rankings come out. Week 2: Free Agency + Mock Draft, v1 Week 3: Free Agency + Combine results Week 4: Free Agency Week 5: Free Agency + Mock Draft, v2 (team needs changed due to FA, so adjustments to mock made) Week 6: Free Agency + Bonus vests (thus leading to potentially more cuts, thus making the late rounds of the first free agency more compelling. Usually, by Round 6, we're zooming towards the draft) Week 7: Free Agency Week 8: Free Agency + Final Mock Draft (again, due to FA signings) Week 9: Final Week, Early Free Agency Round Week 10: Draft Week 11: Late FA (undrafted FAs enter the pool) Week 12: Late FA + roster bonus vests (this would be the "June roster bonus") Week 13: Late FA Week 14: Late FA Week 15: Late FA Week 16-21: Training camp/preseason --- The Season: Weeks 1-22 (Regular season 1-17, Postseason 18-22) It reads lengthy, but I think this is more par for the course for this genre. This, as I just typed it up as I went along and didn't edit, is also a work in progress as a template idea. This is also based on a 32-team NFL-style league. The season would adjust based on league size.

I think Comey's schedule is solid except I'd like to see combine results before free agency, and possibly a chance to scout incoming seniors at all-star games. The all-star games are usually held in January, and the combing in February; both before the FA period begins. I think it should be: 1 - combine/All-star games 2 - resign/tag then follow Comey's.

This was a thought from another person. Arlie should see it: "I like it all, but in MP mode, it'd be nice to have the draft running during the entire offseason (if it took that long) without having to stop for a week or so just to do the draft."

[QUOTE=John Comey;387411]This was a thought from another person. Arlie should see it: "I like it all, but in MP mode, it'd be nice to have the draft running during the entire offseason (if it took that long) without having to stop for a week or so just to do the draft."[/QUOTE] This is something that I certainly agree with. Drafts in online leagues are always difficult, and can at times take longer than it should, being able to run the draft along side the rest of the offseason would be nice.

I have to admit I never even thought of the draft running all offseason for online leagues. My fear is that (as a player), I like seeing who I land in FA prior to doing the draft. It would be a little frustrating if I put in a FA bid for a solid DT in week 1. Then, a top DT slips to me in the draft in round 1. Do I take him? If I knew whether my FA target would sign, I might make a different decision. Also, you have the issue of RFAs. I was going to handle RFAs to where the compensation prior to the draft is this season's pick. After the draft, any RFA signed would be next season's pick. But, if the draft is ongoing during FA, it makes RFAs tricky. If you are during the 3rd round and someone has an offer for a 3rd round RFA accepted and not matched, do I use this season's compensation or next?

[Question 1]What do you guys think about allowing an increased budget for increasing expectations? IE, owner expects a .500 record. You change the expectations to "Make the playoffs" and he gives you an additional bump to signing bonus money and staff salaries. But, if you fall short, you get a bigger negative for your performance (maybe even get fired). I don't think this would be something used in MP, but it might be fun for SP. Yes. Increase the funds. [Question 2]What's your thoughts on using a slider to focus on players for scouting? I don't like the idea of hiring a ton of scouts as I think it gets exploited in SP and is a nuisance in MP. Instead, it would be a system similar to BBCF where you set your positional focus on draft scouting. Sounds about right. Although to simulate the amount of information pro teams get on top prospects, the best incoming rookies (say, the top 25 or so) would have fairly complete scouting reports regardless. That way your scouting essentially gives you extra informtation on the top prospects at the position you focused on, plus allows you to maybe find a 'hidden jewel' late rin the draft. Just MO.

For one, I kind of dislike the idea of running the draft through the entire offseason. It's be nice for Multiplayer I know, but I also think that as Arlie stated, it could bring you at an unwanted crossroads when signing Free Agents. [QUOTE][Question 1]What do you guys think about allowing an increased budget for increasing expectations? IE, owner expects a .500 record. You change the expectations to "Make the playoffs" and he gives you an additional bump to signing bonus money and staff salaries. But, if you fall short, you get a bigger negative for your performance (maybe even get fired). I don't think this would be something used in MP, but it might be fun for SP. [/QUOTE] I definetely like this idea, although I think you just have to be careful about what kind of money you'd be throwing around. Also, it'd be nice if you kept promising a championship, getting more money, and underperforming thus getting your budget cut; that your 'empty promises' carry through your career in SP.

[quote][Question 2]What's your thoughts on using a slider to focus on players for scouting? I don't like the idea of hiring a ton of scouts as I think it gets exploited in SP and is a nuisance in MP. Instead, it would be a system similar to BBCF where you set your positional focus on draft scouting.[/quote] I agree. I think it should be similar to the BBCF method of scouting, you set the amount you want to spend on each position and the more you spend the more reliable and/or the more in depth the scouting reports are. I would also like to see scouting go on year round and be able to open the player cards for anyone in the draft pool at any time. The cards wouldn't have to be complete, but they should have raw data (like 40 times and stats) that are subject to change, and anything your scouts have to say about him.

I think using the BBCF method would be great here. Now, as far as what should be used in the combine...that depends on what information comes out of BBCF. The measurables should come out...and possibly, depending on whether you can do it, the kind of system the player was in during his seasons in college. (This would be the most important for QB and RB, in my opinion. And if it's not feasible, so be it. But it would definitely add some difficulty and realism to the game. I know, in GG, guys like Bracy Tolhurst and Speedy Avery, who ran spread offenses and run n gun and the such, have bigger stats than a guy like Marques Pugh, who went something like 63-1 in his four years as starter.)

I agree John. Although with our league, and how in-depth it is, I think we know what kind of systems they run in. Although, in real life, a 'system' quarterback that may have gone to Texas Tech doesn't always mean that he'll be a great pro quarterback. So in turn, I suggested the obvious bust/gem philosophy, but I also think that with Johns idea, a player who ran in a system that may have made him look a lot better statistically than he really might be. Anyways, what John said I'm pretty much forwarding, although I also think that though a 'system' Running Back(Smashmouth), Quarterback(Spread/Run N' Gun) or Offensive Lineman(those two might affect his 'Pancakes' or Run Blocks') should not always pan out, due to the level of BBPF being to much for them.

I don't really like the season long draft. It should have a toggle if used. I would like an option where you can let the coaches finish the draft. Before hand you could choose what positions you were after & have them draft the highest player on board at that position. Also would like an option that was mentioned before, where you can be the headcoach,the GM or both. I'd like to have leagues where I am both just the coach & the GM. Arlie, I agree on your RFA ideas. Can't wait! Then I'll retire TPF. Galleyfan:)

Archived