Cornellverse Australia???

[quote]and Oh its abit silly to be calling it "Australasia" when NEW ZEALAND ISNT EVEN PART OF ASIA! Australia and Southern Asia is called Australasia not Australian and New Zealand.[/quote] Well I know it's not the most accurate source, but not according to wikipedia.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=Basmat01;430936]the talent only gets called Australian because they come over to start there careers and most got there big break here we know there from New Zealand tell America that lol. I really cant see the problem is TBH New Zealand isnt even big enough to have there own Regional area in the game. you should be happy that Adam put New Zealand in as a region under Australia because he didnt have to. and Oh its abit silly to be calling it "Australasia" when NEW ZEALAND ISNT EVEN PART OF ASIA! Australia and Southern Asia is called Australasia not Australian and New Zealand.[/QUOTE] LOL, as demonstrated already, New Zealand AND Australia have both been wrestling hot beds in the past, collectively and individually. Both have contributed to professional wrestling. So it is a good idea to have them in there (and I'd suggest, may also help market it down under). Australasia is generally considered to be PNG, Australia and New Zealand. The other name's you could go with are South Pacific, not a fan of that, or Oceania, and I can understand why not because people have no idea what the hell that is generally. I have sat back and nodded in approval at practically everything for TEW08, sounds like an awesome product, and this won't cause me not to consider buying it, but, I wonder how you would go if the region was called "New Zealand". I'm quite certain we could both live with Australasia, but I'm happy enough with Australia if not form a patriotic perspective a little disappointed.

[QUOTE=Malioc;430685]Like I said... I see the bigger flaws with the languages. Not only "Central European", what would be mostly German. But most of all with Eastern European, Scandinavian and the Southern "group". It's a little bit weird, even if it's simplifies the game, what is indeed a positive effect. With Australia / New Zealand "Oceania" would be better choice, imo.[/QUOTE] Firstly... wow, you Kiwi's are taking this a whole lot more seriously than one would expect, considering it's a label in a wrestling game :p The two Kiwi's I know in reality would only be mildly concerned if you lit their trousers on fire :p As for the languages thing, it makes a whole lot more sense than having 86 different languages for Europe, and then about four for the rest of the world. It's been grouped according to culture and region. There is no such language as 'Scandinavian', obviously, but a Finn and a Swede (for example) would have no problems communicating. Or at least, the guys I met didn't last year at Graspop :p Similarly, Swiss people speak German as a second language just like Quebeccers speak French and English. Same with Austrians, and Dutch isn't THAT different, really. So it made sense to condense the European languages into four (well, six, because we had to keep French and Spanish for use across the pond), rather than forty.

[QUOTE=Jennie Bomb;430669]It'd be nice if Adam would rename the Australia region to Australasia, and the UK to The British Isles. Of course, I'm also in favour of renaming the Mid Atlantic are to "Flair Country", so I probably shouldn't be listened to... :p[/QUOTE] I just have to agree, renaming the Mid Atlantic to "Flair Country" would be such a great idea.

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;430954]Firstly... wow, you Kiwi's are taking this a whole lot more seriously than one would expect, considering it's a label in a wrestling game :p The two Kiwi's I know in reality would only be mildly concerned if you lit their trousers on fire :p As for the languages thing, it makes a whole lot more sense than having 86 different languages for Europe, and then about four for the rest of the world. It's been grouped according to culture and region. There is no such language as 'Scandinavian', obviously, but a Finn and a Swede (for example) would have no problems communicating. Or at least, the guys I met didn't last year at Graspop :p Similarly, Swiss people speak German as a second language just like Quebeccers speak French and English. Same with Austrians, and Dutch isn't THAT different, really. So it made sense to condense the European languages into four (well, six, because we had to keep French and Spanish for use across the pond), rather than forty.[/QUOTE] Isn't German the first language in Swisterland? At least, it appeared that way in Luzern, they appeared very Germanfied....? Great Great country. I see your point mate, but there's a lot of friendly rivalries with us and the convicts :D Not making an issue out of it all, I just think it could easily be fixed without any fuss, Adam's explanation though is satisfactory to me entirely. No qualms.

[QUOTE=Greg2511;430979]so...any cornellverse wrestlers and promotions? lol[/QUOTE] I'm f'n hoping, a New Zealand promotion with Maoris, Samoans, Tongans, and sheep farmers would be hella cool. And in Australia, heh, over here anything's a goer. Plus with such a great history of wrestling in the two countries I think it'd be very easy to come up with some wicked characters and promotions down under into the Cornvellverse.

[QUOTE=tristram;430991]I'm f'n hoping, a New Zealand promotion with Maoris, Samoans, Tongans, and sheep farmers would be hella cool. And in Australia, heh, over here anything's a goer. Plus with such a great history of wrestling in the two countries I think it'd be very easy to come up with some wicked characters and promotions down under into the Cornvellverse.[/QUOTE] Once Were Warriors stable?

[QUOTE=Basmat01;430936]the talent only gets called Australian because they come over to start there careers and most got there big break here we know there from New Zealand tell America that lol. I really cant see the problem is TBH New Zealand isnt even big enough to have there own Regional area in the game. you should be happy that Adam put New Zealand in as a region under Australia because he didnt have to. and Oh its abit silly to be calling it "Australasia" when NEW ZEALAND ISNT EVEN PART OF ASIA! Australia and Southern Asia is called Australasia not Australian and New Zealand.[/QUOTE] Wow, thanks for the kick in the teeth there buddy. NZ not big enough, somehow mysteriously not part of Australasia... I wonder where you get your information. Also, Aussie didn't know that Shihad were from New Zealand, awarding them a "Best new Australian Band" trophy at one point. Plus there's cultural theft like Pavlova, the Buzzy Bee... I could go on but I don't personally care about any of it. [QUOTE=tristram;430991]I'm f'n hoping, a New Zealand promotion with Maoris, Samoans, Tongans, and sheep farmers would be hella cool. And in Australia, heh, over here anything's a goer. Plus with such a great history of wrestling in the two countries I think it'd be very easy to come up with some wicked characters and promotions down under into the Cornvellverse.[/QUOTE] I agree it'd be cool to have some stereotypical gimmicks going on here, even though the current scene doesn't really have much of that going on. Speaking of the real life NZ Wrestling scene, anyone working on a worker pack, or keen to? I might get around to it if I can find the time after exams, but I've only got my memories (and some notes I took, bizzarely enough) from the last two NZPWI Invitationals that got aired. Come to think of it, are IPW on Alt TV sometimes, or did I imagine it?

Just on the history of AustralASIA wrestling... I'm fairly sure in Australia, the following blokes came down to WCW even on a short stay basis... Andre The Briscos Haystacks Bulldog Brower Mr Fuji Killer Kowalski Gary Hart Gorgeous George Ray Stevens Abdullah the Butcher Brute Bernard In New Zealand, obviously Flair and Race exchanged NWA titles, Rick Martel was based down here for a fair while, so again it was fairly hot at various stages. There's been a few in the "E" from New Zealand, obviously the Bushwhackers and Tony Garea is another one. IIRC, the Rock spent year or two in New Zealand, not sure if it was his old man who was wrestling here. Recently, like 5-6-7 years ago when WCW folded, we had WWA out of Australia. There you had; Sting Buff Bagwell Chris Daniels AJ Styles Lenny and Lodi Psicosis Juventud Guerrera Disco Inferno Jeff Jarrett Perry Saturn Jerry Lynn The Steiners Norman Smiley KroniK Shane Douglas A lot of those guys only appeared once or twice, but I distinctly remember seeing a WWA "PPV" in Sydney featuring Jeff Jarrett in the main event against Road Dogg Jesse James, with Bret Hart as commissioner. I got to see Bret at a signing session, that was hella cool. I was like a kid in a candy store. The shows were shyte, they were very poorly booked, and the promotion folded after a year or two. But they'd put on some big shows in terms of turnouts. It's a good addition to the Cornellverse, just having those regions open, I think history has shown Australasia has had a reasonable impact on professional wrestling. And WWE definitely realise it now, scheduling 3-4 tours each year here to rake the cash in, they tried putting in Nathan Jones to really build on it further (although he was a no hoper), even WCW realised it but then failed to maximise on it even with substandard shows and a poor roster they sold out some big arenas here in 2000.

[QUOTE=tristram;430990]Isn't German the first language in Swisterland? At least, it appeared that way in Luzern, they appeared very Germanfied....?[/QUOTE] Switzerland has THREE different "First" languages, depending on where in the country you are. The bits near France (ie the west) speak French, the bits nearer Germany speak German (surprise!) (that will be the north and north east bits) and the rest (south and south east) which are near to Italy - well guess what their main language is???? :p

[QUOTE=Rob4590;431089]Switzerland has THREE different "First" languages, depending on where in the country you are. The bits near France (ie the west) speak French, the bits nearer Germany speak German (surprise!) (that will be the north and north east bits) and the rest (south and south east) which are near to Italy - well guess what their main language is???? :p[/QUOTE] They have a language called Romanch (SP?) as well.

[QUOTE=Moe Hunter;431027]Wow, thanks for the kick in the teeth there buddy. NZ not big enough, somehow mysteriously not part of Australasia... I wonder where you get your information. Also, Aussie didn't know that Shihad were from New Zealand, awarding them a "Best new Australian Band" trophy at one point. Plus there's cultural theft like Pavlova, the Buzzy Bee... I could go on but I don't personally care about any of it. [/QUOTE] I think you might of misunderstood what I said. I said New Zealand wasnt big enough to have its own game area. which is probley why it was added to Australia. Im perosnally glad New Zealand is a part of Australia in the game. I dont consider New Zealand Australasian. I consider Indonesia, PNG and Australia Australasian. New Zealand is Pacific. LOL dont take it to heart guys

[QUOTE=Basmat01;431109]I think you might of misunderstood what I said. I said New Zealand wasnt big enough to have its own game area. which is probley why it was added to Australia. Im perosnally glad New Zealand is a part of Australia in the game. I dont consider New Zealand Australasian. I consider Indonesia, PNG and Australia Australasian. New Zealand is Pacific. LOL dont take it to heart guys[/QUOTE] Ah I see what you're saying now. Agreed, NZ isn't big enough to stand on its own. Heh, with sub-areas of Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch and Wanganui :P Not that we'd be above New Plymouth, Hawke's Bay, Taupo, Dunedin, Invercargill... but a guy can dream silly dreams...

I can definitely say that, when I get TEW2k8, I will be running shows in Wanganui. Ad also Wagga Wagga. You can say this for the Australasians, they've cornered the market in silly-but-brilliant place names.

Oceania is the correct term/label for the Australian/NZ/Timor region countries. Quote from Wikipedia on oceania: The exact scope of Oceania is variably defined: it generally includes New Zealand, is often taken to include parts of Australasia such as Australia and New Guinea, and sometimes all or part of the Malay Archipelago. The fact that some people may not know what North America is is probably due to sleeping in geography class.

Guest The Aussie
[QUOTE=1PWfan;431137]I can definitely say that, when I get TEW2k8, I will be running shows in Wanganui. Ad also Wagga Wagga. You can say this for the Australasians, they've cornered the market in silly-but-brilliant place names.[/QUOTE] If you think those names are weird then check out some of the other places. Dubbo FTW

It sounds like some people think we're asking for the world and being overly petty here. Splitting hairs over something like the listed prestige rating, that would be petty. Being unimpressed that our country is labeled as not actually being a country but a region of another country? I think it's got a bit more weight to it. I can understand the need to keep things simple.. but y'know, if people don't know what Australasia is and can't be bothered going into the help file to look (assuming it was put in the help file in the first place), they probably don't care too much what places are in it anyway. And is giving players difficult/unknown information really any worse than giving them incorrect information? :) Plus--in the editor at least--it's got "Australia" in brackets after the regions.. so they'd still be able to figure it out. But I'm not coding the thing so who knows how much trouble it would be to change things about at this stage. It's not going to cause me any pain to play the game and I'm hardly going to care in a week when the full thing is out, but I do still feel it worth complaining (and I'm not even Patriotic. Keep rugby from me thanks).. if even just coz it makes the game feel a little less professional... Well, at least for the three people in NZ who have internet and can access forums :)

[QUOTE=crayon;431158]It's not going to cause me any pain to play the game and I'm hardly going to care in a week when the full thing is out, but I do still feel it worth complaining (and I'm not even Patriotic. Keep rugby from me thanks).. if even just coz it makes the game feel a little less professional... Well, at least for the three people in NZ who have internet and can access forums :)[/QUOTE] Oh come on, NZ is very well integrated to the internet. There may be three of us on GDS... certainly less than 10 lol.

Archived