Cornellverse Australia???

So, im kinda hoping with the re-inclusion of Australia here, that there is going to be some aussie workers and even some promotions... Maybe Bruce the Giant has left the U.S to try and kick start an Australian scene??? Please please please include some aussie workers/promotions. It was so badly left out in the original.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well he did in the first tew...lol, i just wanna know so i can start working on a cornellverse add-on for australia myself if there isnt already going to be one....but Adams would be far superior to mine, so if there is I dont want to worry

I'm a very sad panda to see New Zealand labelled in TEW08 as "Australia". Two different countries... :mad: :mad: Massive inter-country (albeit friendly) rivalry... it's not fair damn it!!! It's like calling Saskatchewan part of the US :(

[QUOTE=Greg2511;430030]So, im kinda hoping with the re-inclusion of Australia here, that there is going to be some aussie workers and even some promotions... Maybe Bruce the Giant has left the U.S to try and kick start an Australian scene??? Please please please include some aussie workers/promotions. It was so badly left out in the original.[/QUOTE] Ahem, now that my New Zealand rant is out of the way.... You'd hope there is something in AustralASIA, because wrestling down under was quite hot in the 1960s, 70s and into the early 80s. Although it's not recognised, Ric Flair regained the NWA World Heavyweight Championship in New Zealand. Similarly, in Australia the original WCW was there, and had some truly great names. My wife and her dad used to go to the local halls and watch WCW go around, and it amazes me the names she actually got to see. She was only young at the time, but the family used to sit around the TV every week to watch the latest installment of WCW. It's very surprising to hear the names that actually competed down here, certainly as part of a territorial move (short lived) but it shows Australia and New Zealand's contribution to wrestling. Since then, there's obviously been a fair few gimmicks or wrestlers out of New Zealand and Australia, including the Bushwhackers and the joke Nathan Jones.

[QUOTE=tristram;430499]I'm a very sad panda to see New Zealand labelled in TEW08 as "Australia". Two different countries... :mad: :mad: Massive inter-country (albeit friendly) rivalry... it's not fair damn it!!! It's like calling Saskatchewan part of the US :([/QUOTE] Pfft, you don't see all the Irishmen complaining that they've been made a part of the UK, do you? :p Just be glad they're in the game at all :p

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;430609]Pfft, you don't see all the Irishmen complaining that they've been made a part of the UK, do you? :p Just be glad they're in the game at all :p[/QUOTE] Yeah but the distance between New Zealand and Australia is more like the distance between England and Greece than England and Ireland.:) Still good to have the region back in the game, and If NZ'ers think of it as Australasia, maybe it will hurt less.

[QUOTE=Matto;430630]Yeah but the distance between New Zealand and Australia is more like the distance between England and Greece than England and Ireland.:)[/QUOTE] It's the other way around with the distance of political sympathy. ;-)

Like I said... I see the bigger flaws with the languages. Not only "Central European", what would be mostly German. But most of all with Eastern European, Scandinavian and the Southern "group". It's a little bit weird, even if it's simplifies the game, what is indeed a positive effect. With Australia / New Zealand "Oceania" would be better choice, imo.

[QUOTE=Malioc;430685]With Australia / New Zealand "Oceania" would be better choice, imo.[/QUOTE] Oceania wouldn't work at all - not only do most people have no clue what that means (bearing in mind there's a fair few people who didn't know what [I]North America[/I] referred to, so Oceania has absolutely no chance), but even the definition itself is pretty vague, in some cases not even including the entire of Australia! :p Calling it Australia may not be 100% correct, but the vast majority of people understand what it represents and that's the most important thing.

Hah. It's confusing and wrong, though. The name Australia can apply to the Australian country or the Australian continent - neither of which contain New Zealand. Oceania or Australsia is the correct term for the region including New Zealand, even is neither is actually the name for a continent. Geography is confusing without your medling, though, and it doesn't make any practical difference.

I don't honestly care. I'm just glad that NZ is in at all - just hope there is some solid stuff going on in the C-Verse here, unlike WMMA where we had a total of three fighters :P [QUOTE=tristram;430499]I'm a very sad panda to see New Zealand labelled in TEW08 as "Australia". Two different countries... :mad: :mad: Massive inter-country (albeit friendly) rivalry... it's not fair damn it!!! It's like calling Saskatchewan part of the US :([/QUOTE] As a Kiwi in Australia, you do have a good point, but as I've said, it doesn't bother me. [QUOTE=tristram;430503]Ahem, now that my New Zealand rant is out of the way.... You'd hope there is something in AustralASIA, because wrestling down under was quite hot in the 1960s, 70s and into the early 80s. Although it's not recognised, Ric Flair regained the NWA World Heavyweight Championship in New Zealand. Similarly, in Australia the original WCW was there, and had some truly great names. My wife and her dad used to go to the local halls and watch WCW go around, and it amazes me the names she actually got to see. She was only young at the time, but the family used to sit around the TV every week to watch the latest installment of WCW. It's very surprising to hear the names that actually competed down here, certainly as part of a territorial move (short lived) but it shows Australia and New Zealand's contribution to wrestling. Since then, there's obviously been a fair few gimmicks or wrestlers out of New Zealand and Australia, including the Bushwhackers and the joke Nathan Jones.[/QUOTE] Hear hear! One of my tutors from Ucol talked of seeing Ric MFing Flair wrestle at the Memorial Hall in WANGANUI. No one on Earth knows what Wanganui is, where to find it, or why some people insist on spelling it Whanganui. We've got a population of under 40,000. The Memorial Hall doesn't do a lot of anything now. And yet one of the greatest wrestlers of all time styled and profiled here. It's insane!

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;430688]Oceania wouldn't work at all - not only do most people have no clue what that means (bearing in mind there's a fair few people who didn't know what [I]North America[/I] referred to, so Oceania has absolutely no chance), but even the definition itself is pretty vague, in some cases not even including the entire of Australia! :p Calling it Australia may not be 100% correct, but the vast majority of people understand what it represents and that's the most important thing.[/QUOTE] I agree with Adam it shouldn't be Oceania. Mainly because the first thing that came to my mind when I read Oceania was the evil empire in "1984" :D

I do understand why you've gone with Australia, however, I don't think New Zealanders should be punished for worldwide ignorance. I can tolerate it, but I can also say there's a lot of Kiwis who wouldn't. The divide is massive, primarily because we are so similar and we constantly fight for our own individuality and identity due to worldwide ignorance. NZ over the years has been pillaged of it's talent being known as "Australian", if you look up 50% of the so called Australian entertainment stars they're inevitably Kiwis. All in all, this one anomoly won't stop me being TEW, but I am going to cringe and cry :(

[QUOTE=Moe Hunter;430734]I don't honestly care. I'm just glad that NZ is in at all - just hope there is some solid stuff going on in the C-Verse here, unlike WMMA where we had a total of three fighters :P As a Kiwi in Australia, you do have a good point, but as I've said, it doesn't bother me. Hear hear! One of my tutors from Ucol talked of seeing Ric MFing Flair wrestle at the Memorial Hall in WANGANUI. No one on Earth knows what Wanganui is, where to find it, or why some people insist on spelling it Whanganui. We've got a population of under 40,000. The Memorial Hall doesn't do a lot of anything now. And yet one of the greatest wrestlers of all time styled and profiled here. It's insane![/QUOTE] Good old Wanganui, I didn't realise Flair wrestled in Wanganui of all places. And yes, I definitely know where Wanganui is. Between New Plymouth and P-North. I wonder if the cards for those shows are available anywhere, it'd be interesting to see. But yes, the point still remains, AustralASIA was a hotbed of professional wrestling during the early territorial days. And now it's becoming hot again, and the "E" are taking advantage of it by coming down here 2-3-4 times a year to rake in the dough.

couldn't it just be edited so that instead of: [b]New Zealand (Australia)[/b] it's listed as [b]New Zealand (Australasia)[/b] ? Come to think of it, I'm not really sure why there'd be issues of calling the groupings Australasia.. Even if hardly anyone knows what it is like Adam logically points out, couldn't it jut be broken down like Western Australia, Eastern Australia, New Zealand, etc...? People will still see the Australia part and go "oh, I know where that is now" Course, I don't know how it's listed in the game outside of the editor.. but that's just what ocurred to me. I know we're a small country, but no need to rub it in eh :P

[QUOTE=tristram;430923]I do understand why you've gone with Australia, however, I don't think New Zealanders should be punished for worldwide ignorance. I can tolerate it, but I can also say there's a lot of Kiwis who wouldn't. The divide is massive, primarily because we are so similar and we constantly fight for our own individuality and identity due to worldwide ignorance. NZ over the years has been pillaged of it's talent being known as "Australian", if you look up 50% of the so called Australian entertainment stars they're inevitably Kiwis. All in all, this one anomoly won't stop me being TEW, but I am going to cringe and cry :([/QUOTE] the talent only gets called Australian because they come over to start there careers and most got there big break here we know there from New Zealand tell America that lol. I really cant see the problem is TBH New Zealand isnt even big enough to have there own Regional area in the game. you should be happy that Adam put New Zealand in as a region under Australia because he didnt have to. and Oh its abit silly to be calling it "Australasia" when NEW ZEALAND ISNT EVEN PART OF ASIA! Australia and Southern Asia is called Australasia not Australian and New Zealand.

[quote=Basmat01;430936]the talent only gets called Australian because they come over to start there careers and most got there big break here we know there from New Zealand tell America that lol. I really cant see the problem is TBH New Zealand isnt even big enough to have there own Regional area in the game. you should be happy that Adam put New Zealand in as a region under Australia because he didnt have to. and Oh its abit silly to be calling it "Australasia" when NEW ZEALAND ISNT EVEN PART OF ASIA! Australia and Southern Asia is called Australasia not Australian and New Zealand.[/quote] Australasia has nothing to do with Asia - except that the name is supposed to mean "South of Asia". It's a descriptive term for the region covering Australia and the surrounding islands - which, y'know, includes New Zealand. It's also specifically used by a lot of organisations and sporting teams that cover just Australian and New Zealand - for example, Australia and New Zealand were represented by an Australasian team in the 1908 and 1912 Olympic Games, and for the 1905-1915 Davis Cups (of which the combined team won 5).

Archived