SWF: Generation Supreme

I hear people defending Cole... the problem wasn't always (though sometimes) with his announcing, it's that he didn't seem to understand what was going on in front of him sometimes. And another thing is, is when he promotes a PPV or worker. JR does it with a lot more subtletly and care. When Cole does it, it's glaringly obvious. It's also very annoying. JR would sometimes be able to mesh with what he has to say with what's going on inside the ring. Cole can't do that. Cole has gotten better, but he's still not "level". Seriously, Tazz and Jerry Lawler had to cover his behind way too many times. Tazz was a full-time color commentator, and a part-time announcer at the same time. One time, I heard the commentary when the Coach and Cole were teamed up together. It wasn't good. Not at all. I know they wanted to replace Jim Ross with a younger announcer... but Cole? Come on. He's been in WWE for a couple of years now, and he hasn't gotten that much better.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I typed the bit about fans not noticing commentators, I realized it was kinda untrue. Maybe the inattentive fans do, but commenators do play a pretty notable role. Refs, moreso, are the one who are ignorable and only become releveant when they do things poorly. Going back and watching the SummerSlam boxed set recently made me realize how much commentators can add or take away. Jesse Ventura and Bobby Heenan were amazing as heel color commentators. Gorilla Monsoon worked so well with both. Vince McMahon actually wasn't bad until he started do the excited count on every pinfall. Jim Ross has fallen off some, I think. Jerry Lawler was pretty good for a time, too, though he annoyed me a bit even then. Cole is pretty bad. I can't see him improving enough to be the level of someone like Ross. Even where Ross is now. I do actually like the Matthews-Striker combo from ECW more and more.

I think Matthews has what it takes to become a decent announcer... he just needs an experienced partner. It's too bad that Paul Heyman or Jim Cornette aren't employed with the WWE anymore. They were great color commentators. It was risky to let say what they wanted, but they were great at what they did. Actually, I think Vince McMahon makes a great heel color commentator, much better than as an announcer. It always made me wonder why he didn't switch over from being an announcer to being a color commentator full-time. I still remember when Vince McMahon went "Damn it, you people think this is funny!?!?" when DX filtered his voice to sound like a chipmunk. Just absolutely hilarious. Looking over it, he might have made that up on the spot. (He can do that after all. He's the owner of the WWE). Honestly speaking, if there was no "Mr. McMahon", "Stone Cold" Steve Austin might not have risen as fast. Cole was so bad that fans behind him would berate him. For fans to berate you for being a bad announcer, you have to be pretty poor.

Don't worry, BHK1978 - I definitely do not mind some off-topic discussion in here. At all. When I first started watching ECW, I felt much the same way about Matthews and Striker. Not poor, really. Just bland and kinda boring. But they've grown on me. They are not fantastic. But they don't take away the action, which I find someone like Cole can at times. Agree on McMahon, Amp. The only time I really disliked him even as a regular announcer was when he started severely over-selling every pin attempt... "ONE... TWO... THREE... NO!!!! Kickout..." Over and over. One thing I have heard about Cole is that McMahon is wired directly into his headset and constantly berates Cole while he's trying to announce. It doesn't explain why he sucks, but I'm sure it makes him suck just a bit worse.

Announcing is like a movie soundtrack. You only notice it when it sucks or isn't there. When it's done right, it blends in with what's happening so well, that your brain doesn't really pay attention. I mean , you listen to it, and you take in what they're saying, but you don't think "ooh, this commentator is good!". You only notice when it's Mike Hogewood or someone of equal 'talent'. At least Michael Cole doesn't have a completely nonsensical catchphrase that he spouts at random intervals. "Slap the porpoise!~!!". What's that, Mike? Assault the fat bastard aquatic mammal who makes lots of noise but doesn't say anything? Sure, get in the pool a second...

[QUOTE=Bigpapa42;700054] One thing I have heard about Cole is that McMahon is wired directly into his headset and constantly berates Cole while he's trying to announce. It doesn't explain why he sucks, but I'm sure it makes him suck just a bit worse.[/QUOTE] Well, it's not like Cole can be left alone. Left alone, he can destroy the show. He needs SOMEONE to back him up. I dont think Lawler cares or is good enough to fix Cole's mistakes. If Vince McMahon was still on the road more often (he's 64, I can understand why he isn't), he should be the main color commentator for RAW. Seriously, after Paul Heyman and Jim Cornette, I can't think of a better heel color commentator. Besides, because he is the owner of the company, no one can put a "governor" on what he says, so to speak. But he's 64. I can understand if he wants to stay home.

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;700090]You only notice when it's Mike Hogewood or someone of equal 'talent'. At least Michael Cole doesn't have a completely nonsensical catchphrase that he spouts at random intervals. [/QUOTE] [IMG]http://www.the-newsroom.com/uploaded_images/k4fara-702716.jpg[/IMG] I'd say he has a few of those >_>

[QUOTE=MVP!;700245][IMG]http://www.the-newsroom.com/uploaded_images/k4fara-702716.jpg[/IMG] I'd say he has a few of those >_>[/QUOTE] Except that every one of those is perfectly rational for a wrestling commentator. 'Slap the porpoise' isn't. Plus, Cole sometimes knows what he's talking about. Hogewood hasn't got much of a clue, ever. Hell, the other week he could barely name two RoH wrestlers. He came out with a beauty along the lines of "Can he hang with the likes of Roderick Strong (who'd JUST finished a fairly cringeworthy promo, so was fresh in the mind) or... any of our other Ring of Honor stars?!" Several times he's called a move by a name so basic that it's borderline wrong (STO's are always 'clotheslines' to him, for a very basic example). He once even accused D'lo Brown of being 'a high flying risk taker'. My hatred for Hogewood grows every week. Now... I should probably leave this thread for like, the dynasty and stuff. I dunno, novel idea. ;)

[FONT=Arial][CENTER][SIZE=6]The Fry Report Preview[/SIZE] [IMG]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/Media/FryReport.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [quote][I]Every week on The Fry Report podcast will provide the latest information on everything Supreme. News, rumors, and interviews, all brought to you by the incomparable Duane Fry.[/I] [B]Preview for podcast available Wednesday, Week 1, January 2009[/B] "Nemesis has arrived back in the Supreme Wrestling Federation and he has joined forces with Legends brand General Manager Eric Tyler. The man known to a few as John Campbell has been outside the SWF for a full decade, since the notorious bloodbath match saw him fired. He became a legend with Danger and Violence Extreme, helping Phil Vibert's promotion rise before it fell. What is he doing here in the SWF? What will it mean for Phil Vibert and his alliance? I am told that the 50-year Nemesis does not intent to step into the ring... but his mere presense should have a major effect on the brand." "Last week, GM Tyler made a thinly-veiled offer to SWF Legends champion Dan Stone Jr when he presented a shiny new Legends title belt. Will Stone accept? I am told that decision will determine Stone's opponent for the main event tonight." "Former SWF World Tag Team champions Valiant & Giedroyc will make a special appearance on SWF Legends this week face, facing the combo of Rocky Golden and Bloodstone. This one should be a very good tag match. Just another reason to tune in!" "Please of other action on tap, including the SWF Sky Club Division Tag Team championship belts on the line in a threeway and more." "You don't want to miss out! SWF Legends always offers the best action! SWF Legends... only on CBA!" [/quote][B]The Fry Report will be available on SWF.com or directly from iTunes.[/B] [quote]An extra special feature for the Fry Report... A preview of the matches lined up for SWF Legends this week! [COLOR="Blue"]El Leon[/COLOR] vs [COLOR="Red"]Bryan Holmes[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]John Greed[/COLOR] vs [COLOR="Blue"]Big Cat Brandon[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Strong Machine [/COLOR]vs [COLOR="Red"]Tokyo Underground[/COLOR] vs [COLOR="Blue"]Lords of Pure [/COLOR]for the [B]SWF Sky Club Division Tag Team Championships[/B] [COLOR="Red"]Tex & Rex[/COLOR] vs [COLOR="Blue"]Jett Stream[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Pistol Pete Hall[/COLOR] & [COLOR="Blue"]The Throwbacks[/COLOR] (Robbie Retro & Steve Flash) vs [COLOR="Red"]Enforcer & Enygma[/COLOR] + [COLOR="Red"]Paul Huntingdon[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Golden & Bloodstone [/COLOR]vs[COLOR="Blue"] Valiant & Giedroyc[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"] Chris Caufield[/COLOR] vs [COLOR="Red"]Acid[/COLOR] [B][COLOR="Red"]???[/COLOR][/B] vs[COLOR="Blue"] Dan Stone Jr[/COLOR] for the [B]SWF Legends Championship[/B] [/quote][/FONT]

El Leon vs [B]Bryan Holmes[/B] Leon's been having good perfomances lately, but with the lack of momentum the Watchmen, a loss here would be horrible for him. Leon continues his underdog ways. John Greed vs [B]Big Cat Brandon[/B] Pfft. Even after face, Brandon's still not wrestling good competition on TV! He'll never challenge Faith at this point! Strong Machine vs Tokyo Underground vs [B]Lords of Pure[/B] for the SWF Sky Club Division Tag Team Championships I see this reign going just a bit longer then this. [B]Tex & Rex[/B] vs Jett Stream Would love to see an upset occuring, but I don't. [B]Pistol Pete Hall & The Throwbacks (Robbie Retro & Steve Flash)[/B] vs Enforcer & Enygma + Paul Huntingdon The Nostalgia Trip go up against the team of Last Chance, Lost Chance, and No Chance! I'm picking the three that have won matches in the last year. Golden & Bloodstone vs [B]Valiant & Giedroyc[/B] Golden's officially holding Bloodstone down, here..you know, I wouldn't mind Valiant and Giedroyc moving here full-time. They've become slightly lost in the sea of strong teams on the Supreme Brand, a move to the Legend's brand could be good for both them and the show. Chris Caufield vs [B]Acid[/B] Not an easy decision, but I decided that Caufield got his "Thank You" title run, and is mainly here to put people over. Plus, Acid needs a boost if Tyler's team is going to put up much of a fight in the stable war, whereas Vibert's team could take a couple losses. [B]Giant Tana[/B] vs Dan Stone Jr for the SWF Legends Championship Tana to end the streak, and become a legend in the process - as he so dearly deserves to.

El Leon vs [B]Bryan Holmes[/B] John Greed vs [B]Big Cat Brandon[/B] Strong Machine vs Tokyo Underground vs [B]Lords of Pure[/B] for the SWF Sky Club Division Tag Team Championships Tex & Rex vs [B]Jett Stream[/B] [B]Pistol Pete Hall & The Throwbacks[/B] (Robbie Retro & Steve Flash) vs Enforcer & Enygma + Paul Huntingdon [B]Golden & Bloodstone[/B] vs Valiant & Giedroyc [B]Chris Caufield[/B] vs Acid ??? vs [B]Dan Stone Jr[/B] for the SWF Legends Championship

El Leon vs [B]Bryan Holmes[/B] John Greed vs [B]Big Cat Brandon[/B] Strong Machine vs Tokyo Underground vs [B]Lords of Pure [/B]for the SWF Sky Club Division Tag Team Championships [B]Tex & Rex[/B] vs Jett Stream [B]Pistol Pete Hall & The Throwbacks (Robbie Retro & Steve Flash)[/B] vs Enforcer & Enygma + Paul Huntingdon Is the Enforcer, Enygma, and Paul Huntingdon your version of the job squard? Golden & Bloodstone vs [B]Valiant & Giedroyc[/B] [B]Chris Caufield[/B] vs Acid ??? vs[B] Dan Stone Jr[/B] for the SWF Legends Championship

Figured I'd be honest here - either this show is going to take quite a while do up or its going to be a shorter style. I'm thinking it will be a shorter style. I am seriously lacking motivation at the moment. I finally got the show booked this afternoon and I could have had it done 3-4 days ago. I am thinking that after this Legends show, I will get the Annual Awards done and then maybe take a bit of a hiatus - much like TigerKinney. I really don't want to end Gen-S, but I'm lacking motivation right now moreso than any other point in the diaries existence. We'll see what happens from here, dear readers, and thanks for sticking with... And thank you for everyone who voted for me for the GDS Hall of Fame. Not an honor I expected.

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=Black] El Leon vs [B]Bryan Holmes[/B] John Greed vs [B]Big Cat Brandon[/B] Strong Machine vs Tokyo Underground vs [B]Lords of Pure[/B] for the [B]SWF Sky Club Division Tag Team Championships[/B] [B]Tex & Rex[/B] vs Jett Stream [B]Pistol Pete Hall & The Throwbacks (Robbie Retro & Steve Flash)[/B] vs Enforcer & Enygma + Paul Huntingdon [B]Golden & Bloodstone[/B] vs Valiant & Giedroyc Chris Caufield vs [B]Acid[/B] ??? vs [B]Dan Stone Jr[/B] for the [B]SWF Legends Championship[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

El Leon vs [B]Bryan Holmes[/B] [I]Leon has been putting in some good performances but they've been good performances whilst losing and as Zeel said The Watchmen could do with a win. It'll be nice to see Leon get rewarded with some wins for his performances though, like see him go on a little win streak to build him as a threat for the Shooting Star belt rather than him making others look good.[/I] John Greed vs [B]Big Cat Brandon[/B] [I]Squash[/I] Strong Machine vs Tokyo Underground vs [B]Lords of Pure[/B] for the SWF Sky Club Division Tag Team Championships [I]Lords of Pure to retain the belts[/I] [B]Tex & Rex[/B] vs Jett Stream [I]In the world of Sports Entertainment: Big Talentless Lumps > Flippity Floppity Guys[/I] [B]Pistol Pete Hall & The Throwbacks (Robbie Retro & Steve Flash)[/B] vs Enforcer & Enygma + Paul Huntingdon [I]The Nostaglia guys to win this one, had it three mid-carders and not Pistol Pete plus Throwbacks on the face side then the three largely forgotten heels may have actually got a win.[/I] [B]Golden & Bloodstone[/B] vs Valiant & Giedroyc [I]The tension between Golden and Bloodstone of late doesn't make this clear-cut. Had there been no underlying tension, then I would have defintely said they'd win because V&G aren't main eventers and you should really keep those on their respective brands, strong on their respective brands. So with that tension V&G definitely have a chance, but I see the Golden Faction winning here because a Bloodstone victory will cause jealousy from the egotistical Golden and would go along more with the slow burn you have going for the possible break-away of Bloodstone from the Golden Faction [/I] Chris Caufield vs[B] Acid[/B] [I]I agree with Zeel, Caulfields had his 'thanks for your hard work' run, so it's time for him to help put others over.[/I] ??? vs [B]Dan Stone Jr[/B] for the SWF Legends Championship [I]I'll go for the safe bet here and say that Stone retains.[/I]

El Leon vs [B]Bryan Holmes[/B] John Greed vs [B]Big Cat Brandon[/B] Strong Machine vs Tokyo Underground vs [B]Lords of Pure[/B] for the SWF Sky Club Division Tag Team Championships [B]Tex & Rex[/B] vs Jett Stream [B]Pistol Pete Hall & The Throwbacks[/B] (Robbie Retro & Steve Flash) vs Enforcer & Enygma + Paul Huntingdon Golden & Bloodstone vs [B]Valiant & Giedroyc[/B] Chris Caufield vs [B]Acid[/B] ??? vs [B]Dan Stone Jr[/B] for the SWF Legends Championship

[QUOTE=Bigpapa42;700445]Figured I'd be honest here - either this show is going to take quite a while do up or its going to be a shorter style. I'm thinking it will be a shorter style. I am seriously lacking motivation at the moment. I finally got the show booked this afternoon and I could have had it done 3-4 days ago. I am thinking that after this Legends show, I will get the Annual Awards done and then maybe take a bit of a hiatus - much like TigerKinney. I really don't want to end Gen-S, but I'm lacking motivation right now moreso than any other point in the diaries existence. We'll see what happens from here, dear readers, and thanks for sticking with... And thank you for everyone who voted for me for the GDS Hall of Fame. Not an honor I expected.[/QUOTE] But an honour you deserved. Congratulations mate. I can understand how you feel, either way this is the shizzle on my nizzle. Do you know I'm missing Cosby Show to read through all your stuff again? COSBY SHOW?!!(%% Rudy FREAKIN Huxtable? (I know, sad, but we have a channel playing a lot of the early 1980s TV shows and I remember being Rudy's age when Rudy was that age and now we're both 30... WE'RE BOTH FREAKIN 30! [C:/Run/Cease venting.exe]). Broheim, you are a legend so you deserved the recognition, I am extremely happy you got there mate.

Thanks Tristam. Having the support of such an experienced and respected writer as a yourself is always great. And I do know exactly what you mean about looking back on those old TV shows. I'm 30 now as well and have those "holy hell, that was that long ago?" moments a bit too often. Used to get one of those retro channels and it was pretty cool at first, but I stopped watching it after a bit - too many of thoe shows I remembered loving as a kid don't hold up over time and watching them now just sullied my memory of them. Figured on leaving well enough alone. Now go enjoy some Cosby goodness.

From the DOTM thread... [QUOTE=NoNeck;701264]Understood, dude. And I'm sure anyone whose written a diary of some length can identify with your situation. [B]The question I would ask, I guess, is are you done telling the story you set out to tell with GS? I think that's the heart of it.[/B] Congrats to both you and Eisen on this month's victory, too. :)[/QUOTE] Therein lies the problem. I've come to realize that even just with the couple of major story arcs, there is going to be no natural "end point" where things tie together nicely. Not without adjusting things signficiantly in a manner that I'm loathe to do. Fairly early into the project, I realized that targeting the end to a certain story arc as an end point would be tough. So I used certain "big moments" as markers. I wanted to make it to those certain moments and if I had to, those would make a fairly natural - if frustrating for the reader - point to end. The Supreme Challenge was one of those. The appearance of Sean McFly was one, as was Rich Money defeating him a month later. The appearance of Bruce the Giant, the turn of BTG, and then the appearance of Nemesis were all those kind of moments, even if they were all squished into a two-week period. I've basically come to realize that no matter what point I end it, there is going to be story left untold. That's part of the downside of planning so far in advance. I could go another 6-8 months game-time so some of the major storylines right now - The Beautiful Reign, the Gen-S war, and the DaVE-vs-DaVE civil war - could play out. The problem is that they wouldn't all finish up at the same time, and if one ends, its going to be replaced with a new one that I would want to finish out as well. So no, I haven't told everything I want to tell in terms of the story. But I don't know if I ever would reach that point. I have reached a point, however, where I am satisfied as having told enough of what I wanted to. And as I've mentioned a few times, I do have a big "where all of this was going" post planned when the day comes where I really have no desire at all left to do another show. So the readers will at least get to see where things were headed and what my plans were. I did start some work on that said post recently, but its not time yet. Not quite.

Not to be selfish, but I like this dynasty far too much for it to end!!!! Now, on to predictions: El Leon vs [B]Bryan Holmes[/B] [I]Holmes hasn't been up to much lately and needs a boost in momentum, Leon is a worthy opponent for that.[/I] John Greed vs [B]Big Cat Brandon[/B] [I]Squash-arooney[/I] Strong Machine vs Tokyo Underground vs [B]Lords of Pure[/B] for the SWF Sky Club Division Tag Team Championships [I]Strong Machine and TU just wouldn't quite be up to being champs just yet.[/I] Tex & Rex vs [B]Jett Stream[/B] [I]I don't know why, but I've never envisioned Tex & Rex to be a team worthy of any wins.[/I] [B]Pistol Pete Hall & The Throwbacks (Robbie Retro & Steve Flash)[/B] vs Enforcer & Enygma + Paul Huntingdon [I]This match kind of confuses me. But it has Huntingdon in it, so that pretty much precludes the result.[/I] Golden & Bloodstone vs [B]Valiant & Giedroyc[/B] [I]Time to strengthen them up for an eventual challenge for the titles and time to weaken the Golden Faction (or at least Bloodstone's ties to it).[/I] Chris Caufield vs [B]Acid[/B] [I]Caufiled really hasn't been doing anything for the last couple of months, and Acid needs to build momentum to eventually steal the Shooting Star belt back from Biggz.[/I] ??? vs [B]Dan Stone Jr [/B]for the SWF Legends Championship [I]Whoever he's facing, Stone isn't going to take his first loss on TV. All I can say is it better not be a new hire!!!:mad:[/I]

Archived