Philly Power Pro Wrestling: Dangerous Dreams [C-Verse '97]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/SWF_alt.jpg[/IMG] SWF: IRON ENTERTAINMENT PRODUCTIONS --- THE RISKS ARE REAL - STAY SAFE, STAY SMART --- [FONT="Arial Black"] PHILLY POWER PRO WRESTLING: DANGEROUS DREAMS[/FONT] [FONT="Fixedsys"]PLAY[/FONT] [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/PPPW.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/JerryEisen.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Jerry Eisen perches cheerfully on an art-deco stool beside an equally surreal desk in one of the SWF studios. Across from him a TV screen constantly loops footage; the intro video, recognisable even without audio, to the millennial Philly Pro Power Wrestling flagship show News of the War. “Hi,” Eisen smiles. “Welcome aboard the third of our East Coast War DVDs. As always, we'd like to thank the wrestlers who gave us all so much enjoyment during the war – and we'd like to think everyone we've spoken to for these shows. “As an added bonus for Philly Pro fans, SWF 24/7 will be running the shows from the start of this disc every day for the next few months, and keeping them available online – along with exclusive interviews and insights that didn't make the disc. Thanks again to the former Philly Pro guys – and others – who've spoken to us for this and to Phil Vibert for providing SWF with the tape libraries to Danger and Violence Extreme and the companies that merged with it. We don't think you'll find a fuller exploration of the East Coast War anywhere else than what SWF are offering. “Everything has to start somewhere. For XFW, we started our overview when the company started. Rapid Pro Wrestling: Life in the Fast Lane began with the acquisition of multi-time champion and the best-known man in the company, Steve Flash. As for DaVE... you'll have to see when the set comes out. “Philly Pro Power Wrestling is the oldest of the companies caught up in the East Coast War, and it wouldn't fit to start out there. So we'll start as the East Coast War came to the boil... January, 1997, when Andrew Barber took a gamble on a new head writer. Commonly called the greatest wrestler never to hold a single championship, Horatio Dangerous was in his forties at the time and looking forward to settling down outside the ring. Attracted by the promise of one last tour and a job behind the scenes, he signed on the dotted line. “To really understand how important that was to Philly Pro, we must ask a key question. “Who is Horatio Dangerous?” [CENTER]--- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/HoratioDangerous.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Footage fills the screen; archive images from SWF's 1980s programming. By this stage Horatio was just coming into his peak, a tough, lean heavyweight candidate with cultivated short hair and a perfectly-trimmed goatee. His work shifts fluently from brawling to holds, culminating in the two major finishing moves he used to employ; a spinning full nelson submission and the half-nelson suplex. [CENTER]--- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/RichardEisen.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] As the montage fades, we've shifted camera; Richard Eisen reclines in his office chair, a carefully-posed 'reminiscent smile' on his lips. “I'd seen Horatio work for a bunch of the territories,” he began. “He'd had this kind of career built on almosts – he was almost the most hated guy in the TWL, but Nero had that spot locked. He was almost the best technical wrestler in California Pro Wrestling, but Crippler Ray got there first. And he had this weird gimmick...” [CENTER]---[/CENTER] Another montage, footage even more distorted by time and by the cheapness of original production. What's common to this one, what stands out, are the jaunty play-by-play voices, united by a common theme: [I]“ - never held a title -” “ - hard to believe this kid has never worn the gold-” “ - why isn't he a champion? I hear that all the time - “ “ - this young man is probably the best athlete I've seen to have spent so much time as a wrestler without ever beating a champion when the belt was on the line -” “ - I'm gonna come right out and say it. How Horatio Dangerous has never been a champion is beyond me - “ “ - gold's still eluding this great competitor but I'm sure that in the very near future - “[/I] [CENTER]---[/CENTER] The montage ends, Eisen's smile is suddenly genuine. “I thought, hell, we can do something with that. He's worked all over the place, y'know, he's known, we don't need to spend time building him up. And everywhere he's gone people want him to win the belt by now, even when he was making them hate him – there's just that kind of quality about him that you want to see it work. So I called him up, y'know...” [CENTER]--- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/06.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Intercut, Dangerous' youngest son grins, perched on the SWF announce desk before the crowds are let in. “And he says to Dad, y'know, I want you to come in, beat the hell out of a bunch of guys, get the fans on your side and then we'll look at a title run...” [CENTER]--- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/RichardEisen.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Eisen finishes “And he says wait, hold on, I don't want a title!” The magnate's characteristic belly laugh follows, then his face shifts, serious. “That... kind of made me sit up. I thought... what's going on here? “Turned out it was all part of a theory he'd worked out. Back in those days, any of the title holders might main event any given show. And that made main event money. But when you lost a belt, chances were you were stuck working for less for quite a while – but the guy bucking for the belt, he made main event money. “And depending on where you went, people wanted to see him win – or they wanted to watch and make sure the Calgary Wolverines beat him and whoever, or what-have-you.” Eisen smiles. “So I gave Rip the belt instead, hired him anyway and did pretty much the same thing. It only worked for a while, but... well, he knew that. After he worked for us he did the same thing in Japan for a couple of years, came back... and we did it again. By this point giving Horatio the belt would have been like... Well, I know not everyone will recognise this, but it would have been like someone beating Elemental over in Japan any time during the 1970s; there was this big mystique built up around the whole thing in the minds of the fans. “Horatio Dangerous, y'know, he's probably the only man I can think of whose image would've been hurt if he'd ever won a championship.” Another throaty chuckle. “So of course, y'know, he takes over at Philly, and what's the first thing he does? He puts himself into the title picture!” A smile, a shake of the head. “But it made sense, creatively.” [CENTER]--- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/JerryEisen.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Jerry's smile is easy, a clear contrast to his father, and genuine. "Some would argue that Dangerous' move to Philly Power Pro came out of the SWF in the first place. That's where he met Andrew Barber, the company owner, as one half of a perpetually unsuccessful tag team. Barber's hysterical tantrums after each loss led to a feud between the two that lasted longer than the team, and the two became firm friends. But really, that's where the story of Philly Power Pro Wrestling begins..."

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[CENTER][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/HoratioDangerous.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Dangerous sits behind a wide oak desk, now into his fifties, in a comfortable study obviously honed to his liking over years. The desk itself currently bears a wad of paper, a tall carafe of water and glass, a rack of poker chips and four decks of cards. He takes a sip thoughtfully. “I got to know Andrew Barber when we were both wrestling for the SWF,” he says. “National TV, something my dad never even dreamed of before he hung up his boots. He was a good guy, we had some fun, actually drew a little money under the big names – nothing much, but a good time and being seen by more folks than I could get my head around at the time. “Anyway, he dropped out of the business around the time I was chasing my wife, and in order to get dual-nationality sorted for her and all the rest of it I took six months out myself and, well, we got to calling each other every month or so and basically bitching about being out of the game and no one talking to us. You get to watch the shows with a weird kind of an eye when you're a wrestler but you're not wrestling, and we talked about what was going on. “And I guess he was storing all of that up, 'cuz not long after he got the money together and started up Philly Power Pro.” --- [CENTER][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/AndrewBarber.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Barber grabs a styrofoam cup of coffee out of a coin-op vendor and glances back toward the camera. Behind him a faded RIPW poster is split down the centre, one half on each side of the massive double-doors. Beyond, Professor Nero puts some of the talent through their paces in a workout. Cynical viewers might think that Richard Eisen never fails to put in that extra plug. “I felt there was a real need, and I don't feel that's overstating it, a real need among the fanbase at the time for a company that would do what SWF was moving on from. You could – if you sit back and you watch the tapes from the big names at the time, the early nineties, you could kind of see the space forming that SWF was going to change to get some of, that Combat Zone, y'know, CZCW was designed to grab. The kind of space that we really saw take off around ninety-four, ninety-five. But that left the itch that got kids watching wrestling all through up to the eighties not being scratched, and that's no good for the industry. “So around December of ninety-two, I put a package together, got the investors, bought an old ring on the cheap and started hiring. We launched round Easter ninety-three, and I think I can say now I turned out to be right.” He smiles, but it quickly twists, half-bitter half-cynical. “What I didn't count on was two things, right? That need dried up once new ways to hook the kids in were dreamed up, and the thing I couldn't have seen – the War. “Those of us who were in it, we always talk about it with the capital letter. War wasn't a joke if you lived on the East coast and made your living between the ropes. “Hell, I wasn't just between the ropes, I was on 'em. I called in every favour I could think of, but only one guy answered. And he came with a condition.” --- [CENTER][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/29.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] The oldest of the Dangerous brood, Richard's interview takes place as he sits on the physician's bench, the slight gash above one eye being stitched up “Dad used to do interviews like this,” he says by way of explanation. “They always grabbed me. Still. Ninety-seven, right? I turned eighteen in ninety-six and told Dad I felt I was ready to go pro, enrolled in a correspondence course to get an MBA in case it all went to hell. I put out some tapes, did a couple indy matches and basically wasn't going anywhere. Dad told me to stick with it, but then the Barber called and I think Dad basically said 'Sure, but my kid's part of the package.' you know?” The laugh that follows is the laugh of a confident man still embarrassed over his parents' behaviour in his youth. “So I got nine months to prove myself, bumming around the card. And the first day I show up and look the place over Dad's been working through kind of interviews with the guys, and I met Billy Jack for the first time, and I put my foot in it.” --- [CENTER] [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/BillyJackShearer.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Enjoying an enforced break from the world of wrestling with a cast on one leg, Billy Jack Shearer keeps his colours nailed to the mast with a TCW T-shirt, reminding viewers that this is not a typical deal. The buzz around the IWC for months has been that Cornell allowed the interview to film when and only when he realised it was going to keep the Painful Procedure man in the spotlight during his injury, and was about the cheapest and most effective option. The sneer on the veteran's lips is no fake, though. “He was a punk,” he says, clearly still rankled by the memory. “I'd been with Andy from the start. First man to hold the belt, stuck with the title picture ever since. “I was fighting under the name Krusher Karloff then, doing a schtick halfway between commie and movie monster. And little Ricky opens his mouth, first thing he says, the Berlin Wall came down before the company started so ain't I a bit out of it?” The lip curls slightly, almost an amused twitch. “So I kind of showed him why you gotta respect the veterans, y'know. He probably walked with a limp a couple days. And then I walked into his dad's office, no way he could've heard what we'd been talking about. He looks me right in the eye, says the same thing.” A shrug. “Well, little Ricky's dad, word was he was smart. So I listened to what he had to say, liked the idea. Told him he'd got it. 'Cause fair's fair – he was right. Ricky just hadn't bought the right to say it.”

[QUOTE=1PWfan;508362]This is cool stuff- it's just a pity that XFW diary from a while back isn't still going.[/QUOTE] Thanks, and welcome on board. I'm hoping that this will go down well with people; the style's pretty experimental, though NoNeck does it damn well. But it's a fun time, and it seems to write itself in this format... I will be orchestrating the Cornell/Nemesis firings, but after that they'll be free agents within the game, obviously enough.

[QUOTE=Midnightnick;508371]Phantom, I'm really enjoying this. I was tossing around an idea like this for my TWL 75 Game back when it came out for 07.[/QUOTE] Glad to have another aboard! I don't think I could write a modern diary in this style, but having the gap available lets me open up, it seems. And with two diaries out there that barely cover behind-the-scenes events - doesn't fit one and the other has too many LRLs for anything to happen - this one is likely to get messy; I've actually made one signing primarily because I suspect he'll cause problems. So I can't promise how long this will last, but I can suggest we all enjoy the ride...

[quote=Phantom Stranger;508375]Glad to have another aboard! I don't think I could write a modern diary in this style, but having the gap available lets me open up, it seems. And with two diaries out there that barely cover behind-the-scenes events - doesn't fit one and the other has too many LRLs for anything to happen - this one is likely to get messy; I've actually made one signing primarily because I suspect he'll cause problems. So I can't promise how long this will last, but I can suggest we all enjoy the ride...[/quote] And you could always create the definitive personalities to inspire other writers, don't forget that.

[QUOTE=Midnightnick;508381]And you could always create the definitive personalities to inspire other writers, don't forget that.[/QUOTE] Well, some of the writers on the boards can. I'm not sure that's the case for me - but I've got the personalities of a few of the folks involved brewing as far as I'm concerned at least. It's everyone else that's going to be interesting, watching them develop, getting them to work in my head. On the plus side, I don't think I've got many folks on board at the moment who have an established personality for me to get wrong!

[CENTER][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/HoratioDangerous.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] “The whole thing was crazy,” Horatio smiles. “I mean, I didn't realise. My wife's family come from Seattle, which, my dad having moved back to Liverpool, meant Seattle was where we had a house. So I hadn't seen much of Andrew's stuff – he'd sent me a couple tapes back when it started, but I really didn't have time. I was up in Canada with George deColt and back home training Richard – twins weren't old enough to join in yet, it's how I can place it. “So I never watched 'em and a few years went by and I lost 'em. Comes the end of ninety-six and I get the last six tapes FedExed up with my contract, I sit down to watch 'em and I'm halfway through the first tape when it hits me. I grab the phone and call Andrew, he answers the phone, and I go 'So did you forget to hire a play-by-play guy or did Equal Opportunities make you hire a mute?' Andrew burst out laughing for a few minutes then we sat down to figure things out. The only guy we could find we both knew from doing TV with him back in SWF. So now you've got me, Andrew, Action Jackson, Moustache McKing and Whistler all who used to be Feddies. And the competition that's actually actively trying to kill us is this whole counter-culture thing plus Steve Flash, basically, who's got the Canadian cred some of our other boys had. “Andrew said, why are we fighting this label? It's going to happen anyway. So we called Supreme HQ.” [CENTER] --- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/ChiefTwoEagles.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] They're setting up the ring as Chief Two Eagles settles into his chair. “I was doing the hiring here back then,” he says, “alongside Sam, of course. Got a call from Horatio, ah... I thought he was calling for work. But he had a different idea. Had to run it past the boss. “He knew that you sign on the dotted line with us in Philly, you're near enough dead in the water. It wasn't the deal we've got with Rhode Island these days, I mean, back then we'd set up our own place and I had my hands full with it; we just agreed not to go after any of his guys until they left Philly Pro behind, he agreed not to use any of ours. But the – the kind of pool we tended to use had room, and he kept guys we might use again in the public eye, trained 'em up. Richard wasn't happy with any of the other companies down there, so we did a deal. So long as he didn't use anyone we were trialling, we'd let him have his way with the small guys.” There's almost a cackle in his voice as he laughs, the cracked voice of a lifetime cigar man. “And straight away we had to point out he was overstepping his own bounds...” [CENTER]--- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/EnforcerRoberts.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] The Force Works training camp ring maintains a certain continuity between cuts here, but the man settled into a steel chair is a far cry from SWF's 'Chief' road agent. Philip Roberts, clad in stonewash jeans and black polo shirt, crosses his legs and laughs slightly. “Yeah, I got this call from Dangerous probably a day or so before he got the idea for the deal with the boss,” he says. “Back then the Chief used to be OK with us doing a bit for other companies so long as we weren't right at the top, and I told him I'd be interested. The buzz on the Rockwell kid was good and I kind of wanted to take his measure myself, plus me and Bailey were busy with,” his voice raises as he glances over his shoulder at the instructor within the ring, “some punk kid didn't know his ass from his elbow!” There's a bellow of laughter from Roberts' co-owner of the dojo, his familiar shock of frosted hair strapped back into a disciplined ponytail, no trace of his trademark pink and green facepaint, as he watches their students go through some basic bumps. Roberts drops his voice back to a conversational tone, a slight grin showing beneath the moustache, “So, obviously, working someone I wasn't being expected to train would've been great. I asked a couple of the guys who worked in the area, heard good things about the company, and called Dangerous back to tell him to send me the contract. Drove up to the next show, grabbed the Chief, did the usual this-gonna-be-OK and he laughed. “Long story short, I ended up filling the rest of my calendar in Japan for a while. Kind of a missed opportunity.” [CENTER]---[/CENTER] Dangerous shrugs. “It was a real shame. Always loved wrestling Phil, even if I had to do all the work on the stick for it. Not like that was too unusual, right? “I asked him if he could recommend me someone, a guy who might make it big if he just got a shot. Andrew likes to blame him for all the trouble, but, uh, he says he didn't know. And I believe him, you know? “The kid he pointed me at had gone through the same training camp Jim Force did, but he'd been good when he started and he took to it fast. Todd Cusson... he called himself The Hype. Phil was hazy on why he'd never debuted after so much talking up, but Andrew and I, we'd worked for Richard Eisen ourselves. You get to know these things happen; sometimes the start just never comes. The time passes before the right moment.” [CENTER]--- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/RichardEisen.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Richard Eisen, expression sombre, heaves a sigh. “The question you ask, after the fact, is always: was it my fault? I knew what had happened. Should I have told people? “It might have helped. But Todd and I didn't part on the best of terms as it was. If I'd been open he'd never have been hired by anyone. And he would have been right to blame me for that. “When I heard... when I heard that Andrew and Horatio had hired him, I let myself hope he'd learn from them. Two great veterans, y'know, and if anyone could set him back on the right path I thought it'd be them. “And I asked myself again, should I warn them? “I... In all honesty, I can't remember why I didn't, but I made that decision. You can call it my fault, then. I've thought that myself enough times. “Todd was never an easy man to deal with. I don't want that to sound heartless; I wouldn't wish what happened to him on anyone. And... after the overdose we dealt with one show night, I always worried. Right to the end.”

[CENTER][B][SIZE="5"]COMING SOON [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/PPPW.jpg[/IMG] PPPW: Unstoppable![/SIZE][/B] SHOWCASE MATCHES INCLUDE [B]TRI-STATE CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH WHISTLER vs. KRUSHER KARLOFF[/B] [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/Whistler.jpg[/IMG] vs. [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/BillyJackShearer.jpg[/IMG] [B]DEBUT SHOWCASE CHRIS ROCKWELL VS. HORATIO DANGEROUS[/B] [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/LobsterWarrior_alt2.jpg[/IMG] VS. [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/HoratioDangerous.jpg[/IMG] JESSE CHRISTIAN VS. THE PUNISHER [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/JesseChristian.jpg[/IMG] VS. [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/TheIdahoPunisher.jpg[/IMG] [B]PENNSYLVANIA PARK LAST MONDAY OF EVERY MONTH[/B] [/CENTER] Prediction Key: John McClean vs. Mean Jean Cattley Stuart Ferdinand vs. Jake Harvey Bryan Holmes vs. Human Arsenal Jesse Christian vs. The Punisher Travis Century vs. Rick Sanders The Hype vs. Man Mountain Cahill Chris Rockwell vs. Horatio Dangerous Whistler vs. Krusher Karloff

[QUOTE=derek_b;508531]w00t! Marking for the Hype already. :)[/QUOTE] Thank ya kindly, chief. I've changed the images for a few of the workers you supplied, by the way - chiefly because they happen to be engraved on my mind as their original roles. Having spent so long with Ring of Fire, for example, I'll always see Ramon's pic as Jonni Lowlife.

Prediction Key: [B]John McClean[/B] vs. Mean Jean Cattley [I]Cattley still needs a lot of work, certainly as compared to Squeeky.[/I] [B]Stuart Ferdinand[/B] vs. Jake Harvey [I]Stuart's just... damn good! Seriously, Harvey really doesn't stand a chance at his skill level.[/I] [B]Bryan Holmes[/B] vs. Human Arsenal [I]Holmes looks set to be a Philly Power mainstay. He's also got the edge on Arsenal at this point in his career.[/I] Jesse Christian vs. [B]The Punisher[/B] [I]Look for this one to suck, but hey, these things do happen. I call shenanigans.[/I] [B]Travis Century[/B] vs. Rick Sanders [I]Crazy southern preacher-man, ftw![/I] The Hype vs. [B]Man Mountain Cahill[/B] [I]The Hype can't beat a Main Event Monster on his debut![/I] [B]Chris Rockwell[/B] vs. Horatio Dangerous [I]Horatio's here to put people over.[/I] Whistler vs. Krusher Karloff [I]I say this goes to a no-contest or screwy non-finish of some description.[/I]

[B]John McClean[/B] vs. Mean Jean Cattley [I]Johnny McClean is just talent[/I]. [B] Stuart Ferdinand[/B] vs. Jake Harvey [I]I've always been a fan of Ferdinand. I mean, he gave me nothing but talent in my GCG game.[/I] [B]Bryan Holmes [/B]vs. Human Arsenal [I]Just favoritism.[/I] Jesse Christian vs. [B]The Punisher[/B] [I]He punishes Idaho. And Jesse.[/I] [B]Travis Century[/B] vs. Rick Sanders [I]Sanders has a chance but still.[/I] [B]The Hype[/B] vs. Man Mountain Cahill [I]The Hype. The Victory.[/I] Chris Rockwell vs. [B]Horatio Dangerous[/B] [I]Just looking strong at the beginning.[/I] [B]Whistler [/B]vs. Krusher Karloff [I]Just a chance.[/I]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/SWF_247.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/PPPW.jpg[/IMG] [B][U]PPPW: Unstoppable[/U][/B] Pennsylvania Park 1905 in attendance Week 4 January 1997 [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/RickSanders.jpg[/IMG] [/CENTER] The crowds are still settling down, the opening contests barely clear, and the curtain at the entrance is brushed aside. Rick Sanders' face is the first thing the camera shows, before pulling back to reveal the man he's wheeling down to ringside, a legend even as he rests in his wheelchair... [CENTER][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/PistolPeteHall.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] ...Pistol Pete Hall is here! Sanders collects his microphone. “Ladies and gentlemen, I want to apologise for giving this man one of the closest seats. I'm sure some of you recognise him, though – the man is a legend, and the reason he's confined to his chair now was something that happened to him in the wrestling ring, something which has likely ended his career, and he's a good friend. “So, please – make Pistol Pete feel at home and show him why Philly Pro is the place to come for wrestling!” [CENTER][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/TravisCentury.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] The pop doesn't get very far, however; the opening chime of a melodramatic church organ cuts in and the 'Dark Preacher' appears on top of the ramp, microphone in hand. Travis Century is angry. “Sanders!” he thunders. “You are a desperate worm, grubbing around to get attention from these idiots. What's truly infuriating is that even as you realise that you can't make these people like you for you, you move on to exploiting the destroyed. Hall's career has been ended and all he is to you is someone to leech from, someone whose own pathetic acclaim is that tiny amount greater than your own that you manipulate him-” “THAT'S ENOUGH!” Pete Hall has the microphone now. “Century, if I could do it I'd knock some sense into you. But I can't, not right now, and you know what? I'm not the only one you're running down. I say the two of you settle this the way God intended – in that ring, tonight!” “Your God is...” Century trails off mid-recrimination. “No, you know what? Fine. Be ready, Sanders. I'll read you a lesson you'll never forget.” [B][CENTER][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SqueekyMcClean.jpg[/IMG] vs. [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/MeanJeanCattley.jpg[/IMG] John McClean vs. Mean Jean Cattley[/CENTER][/B] The youngster Cattley lopes down to the ring in a Cradle of Filth shirt and black denims, every inch the model of the Philly Goth scene that's made him an unlikely fan favourite. John's expression throughout is perfect; the father who doesn't understand these crazes taken to such an extreme that everyone in the crowd can hate it. That sets the tone for the match; Cattley attacks with gusto and emotion, a sullen intensity to everything he does from a punch to an armbar, while the older man does his best to turn the attacks aside with an aloofness, responding with a serious of cool, calculating, vicious strikes and takedowns. It's clear all the way through that Cattley is the weaker wrestler, but John allows him a couple of moments where it almost looks like he might win, the prince among them being a beautiful moment where, as John goes for a spinebuster, Cattley seems almost to shove him away while in mid-air, lands on his feet, and gets a somewhat dubious belly-to-belly for two. That's as close as it gets, however, as the furious youngster's reach exceeds on a clothesline and McClean stakes his territory with the Stain Removal after seven minutes or so. RATING: [B]D-[/B] [CENTER][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/LobsterWarrior_alt2.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Chris Rockwell emerges next. “So you've seen the posters,” he says. “You know that tonight, the challenge I threw down last month gets answered by Horatio Dangerous, a man who I don't think I need to introduce. What you don't know is... win or lose, this is my last match with Philly Pro. Y'see, they gave Dangerous a contract. He'll be here for a while – and that means, apparently, that there isn't enough money to pay Chris Rockwell what it takes to allow me to be Chris Rockwell, to let me spend the time in training I need to be the best. “I'll tell you this, though – if I possibly can, I aim to go out a winner. You guys... it's been a privilege to wrestle in front of you all these years.” [CENTER][B][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/StuartFerdinand.jpg[/IMG] vs. [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/17.jpg[/IMG] Stuart Ferdinand vs. Jake Harvey[/B][/CENTER] Ferdinand strutted out with an arrogant smirk on his lips. Harvey, something of a rookie prospect, hit the ring at speed, sliding under the ropes and diving for his opponent only to be cut off with a calculated lariat. Jake took a moment to recover and then scrambled back to his feet, charging in only to meet a drop toe hold. Stuart shifted position, hooking one leg than the other and putting his challenger into a Boston crab for a few moments before releasing the hold, smirking, and stepping away. As Jake regained his feet, the veteran beckoned him on. This time Jake came in slow and careful and the match began in earnest, but at the pace Ferdinand had dictated. There were a few shining moments of successful offence from Harvey, but where Cattley had seemed at times to have what it took to beat McClean, the outcome here was never in doubt. By the end Ferdinand was clearly just having fun, and a lock-up shifted smoothly into a neckbreaker following which Stuart floated over for the pin. RATING: [B]E[/B] [CENTER][B][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/BryanHolmes.jpg[/IMG] vs. [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/HumanArsenal_alt1.jpg[/IMG] Bryan Holmes vs. Human Arsenal[/B][/CENTER] A much closer contest here. Holmes has an incredible hard-hitting style here and clearly enjoys what he does; the Arsenal is, by contrast, sloppy on a number of his moves, but the sheer variety displayed is where he shines at present, and his execution tightens up with every match. The two men played out yet another variation on the veteran/rookie game in which both men were perfectly matched, the result having openings to go either way on multiple occasions, but John Anderson plays his gimmick to the fullest, pulling out more and more esoteric moves as Holmes kicks out. Eventually it doesn't work; Holmes' more methodical offence culminates with a sharp right hand to the jaw, breaking what might have been an innovative suplex, whereupon he grabs the arm, twists through into an armbar, and then levels Anderson with a sharp short-arm lariat, immediately dropping to cover. It's all over after a splendid ten minutes. RATING: [B]D[/B] [CENTER][B][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/AndrewBarber.jpg[/IMG][/B][/CENTER] Next along, Andrew Barber stands up at the announce desk. “Could I have your attention, please? I'd like to tell you all that next month we'll be seeing Bryan take on another young hope – the son and grandson of famous wrestlers – Richard Dangerous. Dangerous has been trained by his father, and I'm sure we're in for an excellent contest.” [CENTER][B][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/JesseChristian.jpg[/IMG] vs. [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/TheIdahoPunisher.jpg[/IMG] Jesse Christian vs. The Punisher[/B][/CENTER] There was no question, really, as to what kind of match this would be – straight up brawling with the occasional burst of groundwork. The Punisher opened with a volley of hard rights and lefts, batting Christian round and round the ring before a particularly powerful shot sent him sprawling. From there, Jesse managed to take out a leg with a vicious kick, bringing the Punisher down to his level and allowing a bit of a fight back for a while before both men made it back to their feet and Christian began to play a range game, targeting the Punisher's ribs with kicks, charges, and once he'd worn his opponent down a little, a football spear. After that he scooped his opponent up onto his shoulders and applied the human torture rack, quickly driving the Punisher to submission. RATING: [B]D-[/B] [CENTER][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/JesseChristian.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/ActionJackson.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Christian rolled out of the ring and across to the announce table, where Action Jackson was waiting. “Nice work there, Jesse. So with the Punisher down, what's next for you?” “Too many possibilities, Jackson. Philly Pro is full of new challenges to meet and the old ones seem to keep on coming back better than before. Down the line, though... you know that sooner or later I'm going to see whether Whistler can still give out a rebel yell from inside the Human Torture Rack. Sooner or later, I'm going to prove I deserve a championship.” [CENTER][B][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/RickSanders.jpg[/IMG] vs. [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/TravisCentury.jpg[/IMG] Rick Sanders vs. Travis Century[/B][/CENTER] A simple contest made interesting primarily by the schtick Century's developing; every time Sanders connected with anything stronger than a chop he started shrieking, invoking some unspecified dark deity to protect him. Sanders bounces the preacher around the ring for the opening few minutes, much to Pistol Pete's satisfaction, before being caught off guard with a rake to the eyes – and then Century goes on the offence, continuing his ranting as he does, with a variety of slams and hard shots, stomping Sanders' face into the mat whenever he's down. Eventually he leans out of the ropes to threaten Hall; Sanders rolls him up – but Century continues the momentum, rolling through and ending up pinning Sanders' shoulders to the mat with his feet on the ropes, a fact Jay Fair entirely misses as he counts the three and the Dark Preacher comes through. RATING: [B]D-[/B] [CENTER] [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/BillyJackShearer.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/FloydGoldworthy.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/PistolPeteHall.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Flanked by manager Floyd Goldworthy, the monstrous Krusher Karloff stalks down to the ring as Sanders limps away. Goldworthy collects the microphone and smiles. “Mr Hall, it's a pleasure to see you here, can I just say that?” The veteran nods slowly from under his cowboy hat, his expression sombre, waiting for the other shoe to drop. “And I'm sure you're honoured to be in the presence of true greatness?” “Where?” The crowd laugh almost immediately. “Right. Here.” Karloff's accent is heavy and only slightly inaccurate, a German edge to it. “Oh...” Hall nods. “Well, I can maybe respect a man who's won the belt a time or two. But I can't respect the way you've done it.” A tilt of the hat indicates Goldworthy. “Not someone hangs about with this guy, either. Had dealings with him before.” Karloff, infuriated, storms forward with a forearm, sending the wheelchair over backward as Hall is sent crashing to the floor. [CENTER][B][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/JackAvatar.jpg[/IMG] vs. [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/RonnieVPain.jpg[/IMG] w/ [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/HerbStately.jpg[/IMG] The Hype vs. Man Mountain Cahill[/B][/CENTER] The Hype came with a great reputation, but Cahill and Stately combined to ensure that he had few chances to show his stuff outside of some remarkable, almost cartoonish selling as he bounced about the ring. Every time he got clear of Cahill for long enough to try and muster some offence, Stately was there with a new trick to shut him down – though he managed to work in the underdog spot of the night, somehow turning a charge from the monster into a gutwrench suplex, narrowly managing to get him over. Not an auspicious beginning for the Hype, planted soon enough with the Cahill Crush. Dangerous would later comment that this was the match where he began pondering whether Cahill was worth keeping near the top. RATING: [B]E+[/B] [CENTER][B][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/LobsterWarrior_alt2.jpg[/IMG] vs. [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/HoratioDangerous.jpg[/IMG] Chris Rockwell vs. Horatio Dangerous[/B][/CENTER] For a debut appearance, Dangerous didn't seem to be as keen and active as he might have been – as if he was distracted by other things. Nonetheless the veteran and the Shooter locked up in a very enjoyable back-and-forth display; Rockwell, if anything, was dominant more often than Dangerous, leading to the cheers behind the fan favourite building and building; the early hold-and-counter style slowly picked up in pace before deteriorating when Dangerous lost his temper and, having unsighted the ref, hauled off and delivered a right hook low blow, felling Rockwell. The cover only got two, however, with the Shooter rolling clear and returning to the fight with a crisp snap suplex – but moments later Dangerous countered a victory roll into a facebuster, scooped him back up and landed the half-nelson suplex, this time scoring the fall. The fans exploded in rage, more engaged by the match than by anything since Rockwell had announced he was leaving. RATING: [B]C-[/B] [CENTER][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/HoratioDangerous.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Dangerous promptly snatched Action Jackson's microphone off the table, depriving the video of any unbiased interjections. “One match in, one man down,” he laughed. “Looks like I'm going to be ruling the roost pretty fast – so you know what? Let's get on that. Whistler, listen up. I know what people say about you. They say you're the face of America. They say you show this country's never-say-die attitude. They say you could still become a legitimate American legend. “I say this country got everything good from Britain. I say I was taught to fight there. I say my family are proud to be Englishmen. I say that belt you have should belong to me – so put it up.” Massive reaction there; if anything, this was the strongest fan uproar of the night thus far. [CENTER][B][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/Whistler.jpg[/IMG] vs. [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/BillyJackShearer.jpg[/IMG] w/ [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/FloydGoldworthy.jpg[/IMG] Whistler © vs. Krusher Karloff[/B][/CENTER] [U][CENTER][B]PPPW Tri-State Championship[/B][/CENTER][/U] From the off it was evident that these two men have traded the title and battled so often for a reason; they have their acts down perfectly and play off the other man well, incorporating Goldworthy's antics into the match well. Karloff dominates early, Whistler evading and fighting back as best he can. Before too long the the patriot has the upper hand, leading to Goldworthy hopping onto the apron – whereupon a roaring elbow from Whistler sent him flying back-first into the crowd barrier, ending his interference in the match. Whistler took a moment to smile, only to be caught with a backbreaker from the 'Russian' behemoth. At that point the fight derailed into a massive slugfest, with Whistler taking the brunt of most of it, unable to hit back at the same strength Karloff exhibited; but as the crowd got behind him he managed to block one, then two, and then began to fire back uninterrupted, backing Krusher into a corner, taking a couple of paces for a run-up, then landing the Rebel Yell to roaring approval and a successful defence. Dedication and the fans were really what made this, though unfortunately it couldn't keep the contest at the level of the prior match. RATING: [B]D[/B] The show was, for the time and place, a roaring success, calling more attention to Philly Pro as Dangerous began to find his feet booking them. [I][U]Next on SWF 24/7: Some of the story behind Unstoppable 97, most importantly the shocking departure...[/U][/I] OVERALL: [B][SIZE="4"]D+[/SIZE][/B]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/LobsterWarrior_alt2.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Chris Morissette leans back against the cool tiled wall in the locker room, his Lobster Warrior gear set to one side, in easy reach. He pauses, considers his words. “DaVE looked like the best bet,” he says. “Dangerous was coming in, fine, whatever, he was still a good worker. But he was old, too, and he'd never run a company before. And, you know, we're in the middle of a fight for survival. I didn't really bank on him as a good bet. “So, when I got the call from Phil, I just asked him how long before I got the contract. “Phil got them to me the last Monday in January. I literally dropped it in the mail at a box at Penn Park, just as I got to the show. He looks away from the camera a moment, bites his lip. “Telling the guys backstage... was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. “I mean, there's the, well, can't call him a new guy, right? Going up to Mr Barber in front of Pistol Pete and saying, look, I'm scared this company's going to go down the tubes, I gotta split, when he's just got there? “Truth be told... I was wondering if I was wrong when I saw him. Nearly called Phil. Then I saw him take a couple steps across the room and he's... his knee was still nowhere near fine.” A shake of the head. “I just... I didn't think Philly Pro was going to last the year.” [CENTER]--- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/AndrewBarber.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Andrew Barber throws up both hands in exasperation. “Could not believe it. Could not believe it. Pete had to pull me aside and talk me out of going crazy on him while he went to tell Horatio.” The same exasperated gesture repeats. “What can you do?” [CENTER]--- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/HoratioDangerous.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Dangerous takes another sip from the glass of water and picks up one of the card decks with his other hand, considering. He begins, apparently unconsciously, to shuffle as he speaks. “Two hours to showtime, I heard what was coming. “I'd had time to plan, I'd have done a Loser Leaves Town with someone who might be useful to feud him with if we ever got a shot at bringing him back. But we'd advertised. “I literally had the first year of work for Chris figured out. Andrew and me, we reckoned him for a major player in the promotion, and that happens...” He shook his head. “I did what I could, figured it out. Told him not to mention DaVE and did what I could to make sure him leaving put heat on me where we could still use it.” He laughs. “I... you know... I was this close to walking out at the start. That kind of thing isn't a good omen. But Andrew had a surprise for me, and I ended up having to rewrite the whole thing on the fly anyway. And the traditional rookie-errand-boy role got one of it's weirdest outings ever...” [CENTER]--- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/SWF%20Footage/29.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Richard laughs, reminiscing. “Me, Jake and Jean had just finished setting up the ring when Barber came up to us,” he says. “He holds out about four hundred bucks and goes 'Rick, you're the newest arrival. We need a wheelchair by showtime.' ” He cracks into a wide grin. “I haven't had a chance to duck backstage. I'm like, what? Why? “Worked, though. You can hear the sound when Billy Jack decked Pete, but you can't feel what we welt inside Penn Park as it happened. The whole place kind of froze into, kinda, you can't do that!” [CENTER]--- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/BillyJackShearer.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Billy Jack Shearer nods, a gleam of fond reminiscence in his eye. “I've spent so long playing one kind of ******* or another in this business,” he says. “You really know something's going to work when they lay it out and you actually think, y'know, my God I'm a total tool. “It was great, it really was. Pete sold like a champ, I think because he had no idea what you do to keep safe in a wheelchair.” He cackles. “I wish we could do more like that. The fans in Philly, most of 'em, they know the names. Everyone knew that Pete got knocked out of the game like five years before or whatever, everyone knew he got injured – but they didn't know how bad. “So he rolls out in a wheelchair, first time he's been seen by most guys since, and they all bought he was just Rick's buddy, it just worked. And then I came out and it was like I killed him. The place got chills. About ten seconds after they realised the whole thing was planned, but for ten seconds we had them – for ten seconds we pulled the wool over a Philly crowd. I mean, come on...” [CENTER]--- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/PistolPeteHall.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Pete Hall himself examines a shot glass with minute attention, stood behind the polished walnut of the sports bar he owns. Hatless for once, he smiles reminiscently. “I... was about ready to come back,” he said. “And I called around a few numbers, but I wanted to dip my toes in, see if it was going to work. I wasn't fit to get back in a ring yet anyhow – and that was what clinched it, I guess. No one was happy. Eventually, Stu said he was having fun out in Philly, I should call there. “Andrew was just the first guy willing to say yeah, OK, we'll sign you for a while, you can do some standups and you don't have to get in the ring unless you say you're ready. I didn't find out til later he'd promised Dangerous I'd be in the ring the moment the doc gave a final all clear. “So Dangerous is convinced he can do this thing with me and Shearer, and decides he's just going to build it now. He comes up to me and says his boy's out buying me a wheelchair, lays the whole thing out, and then we both just started grinning. I called the doc just before I went out there and told him 'Just so you know, you're going to hate me for the next six months'.” [CENTER] --- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/HoratioDangerous.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] “Everywhere I go,” Dangerous says, “people talk about it. That bit of that tape got everywhere. It gets more press than close to anything else I've done in my career. And it was totally stolen. Me and Nero were going to do it in the TWL around nineteen-eighty, but then they said he was going to get the belt instead and I never got to be a good guy. Nero's idea one hundred per cent. He's a class act, though; when he heard about it he phoned me up and just wanted to know how well it worked.”

[CENTER] [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/AndrewBarber.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Barber leans against the corridor wall, thinking. “We went into panic mode,” he says. “Chris running out on us put us on the back foot, and we scrambled to get out. We made calls all over the place. Perception was, though, that we were losing the war. Jack Bruce said thanks but no thanks – he'd just signed with XFW the month before, so he was always going to be a long shot. Couple of other guys hemmed and hawwed around the whole thing. I mean, we were calling everyone. “And then it got worse.” [CENTER] --- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/HoratioDangerous.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Dangerous frowns, his hand again straying to the card deck. The shuffling begins. “We got two calls,” he says. “Two guys. “Both of them were people I had plans for. One of them I figured could grow into something really special. I got proved right on that later, too. These were people I'd made sure wrestled at Unstoppable just so I could be sure I had the measure of them.” [CENTER]--- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/JesseChristian.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Jesse Christian looks away from the camera awkwardly. “Kinda the wrong person to ask about all this,” he said. “I... XFW pitched me a better idea. Dangerous wanted to do a thing with me and Cahill, with me desperately trying to get one over on the big lug. The Vandal was talking about teaming me with Jimmy Cox and giving us a tag run. “And Chris had just ducked out. You get to thinking, you know, what does he know that I don't? I called him and he basically said he had a bad feeling, but that was enough for me. I wasn't happy there anyway.” A shrug. “So I signed on with Duncan Kendall and called the Barber to tell him. He went ballistic on the phone. Especially when I said I hadn't been keen on working Cahill.” [CENTER] --- [IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/Dangerous/AndrewBarber.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Barber flaps a hand dismissively. “After Unstoppable me and Horatio went over a lot of what we'd been planning. Talked about what worked and what didn't. The Cahill plan... we hadn't laid any seeds yet. So we were happy with ditching it, and Horatio was looking at doing something with Jesse and whoever we were going to get to replace Chris. “And then John called. John Anderson. “Phil Vibert, man... I guess someone really liked what they saw at Unstoppable and let him know. I was... I wasn't thinking straight. Pete had just bought the bar and I spent about a week there straight. Blew half my savings. “Chris Rockwell and the Human Arsenal gone? No one figured Whistler was going to stick with the business as long as he has, and we weren't sure what we planned to do with the Krusher character would go over. They were plans for the future, those two.”

Archived