Is this Jeff thing on wwe.com a work or a shoot? (possible spoilers for tonight)

RKO_HBK

[QUOTE=Blasphemywebleed;528777]Just thought i'd jump onboard here to say that thats an excellent statement right there. Now I don't consider myself to be the most knowledgable person about the world of wrestling but I do know a fair bit as do most people on this board. I got to thinking the other day. "When did we stop enjoying wrestling". Everyone on the board (myself included) when watching wrestling seem to view it as if they were part of a creative team rather than an audience member. Wrestling is little more than a sitcom (an awesome one at that) and I'm going to try and sit back and enjoy the ride rather than pick apart every angle and match.[/QUOTE] I'm lucky (small world sense) in that I have the opportunity to watch wrestling with someone who doesn't think that way. My brother doesn't realize the intricacies of how the wrestling world actually works. So I can come on here, and discuss backstage politics, and who's been held back for silly reasons, or whatever we discuss here. Then I go sit in the living room, and watch the lights dim, and hear the gong, and become enthralled in this world where my brother gets super excited that `taker is walking to the ring, or be mad with him when John Cena gets screwed out of a victory. I don't think of why they wrote it that way, I just feel how he feels. It's amazing. I think if you have an opportunity to watch with a fan who doesn't think the way we (collective: internet community types who know, or have access to the world outside the ring), it can do wonders for your ability to suspend belief for so long as you're watching the show. Or maybe I'm just abnormal ... and owe my guidance counselor in high school an apology. :p

[QUOTE=Self;528762]Nowhere near as good as the Demon Edge idea from this board a few weeks back. How exactly does Edge go from being chokeslammed to Hell (through the ring, with FIRE!!!) to attacking Jeff in a stairwell?[/QUOTE] Oh I agree, but I've pretty much given up on that now xD

I remember watching a Matt Hardy vs Chris Masters match with my brother way back when and during the heat, he said "There's no way Matt can win after taking this much of a beating." This was during Matt's feud with MVP, so I knew he was winning, but it was awesome watching with a guy who didn't 'get' the business. Who believed that every fictional punch mattered. Who was watching the story unfold, without thinking of push, pull, stroke, politics, angles, PPV's and storylines. Also, he believed the win mattered. Similarly I've been of the other side of things. Watching a 'normal' TV program one time, a character died. I had no idea it was coming, and I was enthralled. The person next to me, a fan of gossip sites, then told me all of the behind the scenes reasons why the character was written out, and looked smug. I just thought "Wow. By knowing all of that, you ruined the edge-of-your-seat excitement of this life or death moment. You could have had a true emotional response to a piece of art here, but you didn't because you knew the ending. I feel sorry for you." I don't know why I don't learn my own lesson and stay away from wrestling sites... Too much free time at work perhaps.

I just can't get absorbed in this the way I do in stuff like Lost, Prison Break etc. When I was younger yeah, a bit, but a certain point it just clicks, and then I came online on things etc and it did ruin it a bit. Didn't watch for a while but now I just have a way of enjoying it, without really caring why what's happening's happening, just how entertaining it is and how coherent and interesting things are. And cheering the guys I like, woo.

it is possible to get sucked in, when WWE allows you to care about the characters. However, my biggest complaint about WWE booking is that they do so much stop/start with characters that you stop caring about them. I was really getting into CM Punks character, till WWE buried him and told me he wasn't important. And they do it over and over.

Yeah...I remember when he won the belt, or maybe when he'd just defended it, and they had a black and white interview on wwe.com while he was being stitched up, saying "I will bleed for this" and so on, and it was so god damn cool. And it remained cool for a while, and even the way it ended had such potential, but instead it became a midcard feud then just a midcard nothing.

Archived