Bradford

GatorBait19

I think he deserves it just in stats alone. He's thrown more touchdown passes than any other Heisman QB in history (So says ESPN i guess) and orchastrated an offense that went over 60 points for last part of the season.

Tebow, while having a strong year, wasn't going to win it due to the fact that his stats were a lot lower.

It was really between Bradford and McCoy. I thought McCoy would win it, however, I'm happy with Bradford! He's a great pure QB.

See I didn't think Tebow would win it and I am not mad but in my case for Tebow is he played against 8 top 30 Defense where McCoy and Bradford didn't play against a defense better than 30 or 50 I believe, that is my point, so yeah Bradford was on a team scoring 60 points a game but against week D's and Missouri had the 107 pass defense, I am just saying, I don't think there was a true Heisman winner which is why the top three guys were all separated by on what 200 votes, and the funny thing is Tebow had the most 1st place votes and he finished third

I think Bradford is as deserving as the others but for Grahm Harrel to not get invited? that was uncalled for. this was indeed the toughest decision they (the voters) had to make because I believe all three were deserving of the heisman... at least when Tebow graduates he'll be a first rounder at the 20010 draft as well as Bradford.

source say Bradford will leave this year, and another thing Bradford is the second straight Sophomore even though he is a redshirt, he is also the third straight QB, and the second straight man to win it with a broken non-throwing hand

I wanted Tebow to win, but Bradford winning and making it 2 Sophomore QB's with broken non-throwing hands in a row is cool... :p

The Heisman is largely meaningless as far as measuring talent and potential in the long run, but it is a tradition and an honor. Good for Sam...

I don't think Bradford is ready for the next level yet. he needs one more year for that. and yea the heisman is not worth as much as it should be. its more pride than anything now

I agree. He is a great college QB right now... however... He really should stick around for at least one more year. He needs the development.

I agree. He is a great college QB right now... however... He really should stick around for at least one more year. He needs the development.

It depends on where he knows he can go. Obviously probably top 5 if not higher, which he should go then. He can't really top this season, so his stock will drop regardless and he'll be coming out in a better QB class potentially with Colt and others rising their stock.

I think he has to go get his money, and the devolopment statement is overused. No matter what team he goes to he'll be training full time every day with a QB coach. No classes to attend to, no NCAA rules for off-season training, etc.

if he goes now he's a glorified second rounder. if he stays he'll be a top-10 pick. I just can't see him going first round

Not quite, he is probably the top QB of the class right now and in line for a top five pick (depending on how order and needs shake out). Honestly if things stay the same he would most likely be #1 or #3 (Lions/Chiefs). As per most scouts thoughts he is one of the most pro ready QB's right now in how he delivers the ball and so forth.

i know this means little but Kiper has him as the number five pick with the way the standing are now

The same thing was thought of Brady Quinn and look how far he fell after we did the responsible thing and drafted Joe Thomas. Anybody who comes out assuming "Oh I need to go now because I'm going to be a top three pick" or whatever is an idiot. None of that stuff becomes sure until April at the earliest and in the case of Mario Williams until that card is at the podium. Now suppose said guy comes out thinking, "I need to go now because it's my best shot at max money." Can I fault that? Not at all. But any prospect who comes out assuming his draft status is going to be X should have stayed in school and gotten his darn fool head on straight. Because the draft is a crap shoot for everybody. Including the draftees. If you're not ready to accept that, you're not ready for the pros regardless of what your skill set is.

not only that but Chris Mortenson is saying the league will finally adapt a Rookie Salary in the next collective bargaining agreement, so that could play a factor in a lot of guys coming out in this draft as he expects it to go into effect as of 10' draft

When/where did he say this? Interested in reading the article.

Antwan Randle-El has had some success. Matt Jones is finally starting to show signs that he could be a decent WR. I guess maybe you could throw Kordell Stewart and Bert Emanuel into the list of limited success.

Hines Ward played some QB in college, although he also played WR & safety, so I don't think that counts.

Tom Tupa played QB (and punter) at Ohio State and became a great NFL punter, if that counts.

Some additionals

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081009203645AA00QqX

my thing is Randel el hasn't done anything since going to Redskins (THAT I KNOW OF)

Matt yeah, finally, Tupa, umm yeah I think maybe I should have said on the field more than 50 times a year, No Ward doesnt count and no to Bert

Here is why I asked this, every year before the draft Mel Kiper Jr. pulls out his Scouting for dummies and reads a little, then he goes out and talks about who people should pick, now here are some names he has hyped to the moon in the past

Courtney Brown(The best Defensive player ever to come out of PSU what he said along with Lavar)

Tim Couch (was said to be what you will look for in a QB in the future)

Ryan Leaf (at one point said he'd be a better pro than Manning...right)

Mike Vick (might have helped his team, but still not great)

David Carr (He was the new QB of the Future, scramble out of the pocket and throw well, yeah sacked more than anyone, great scrambling skills)

Andra Ware (would be an excellent NFL quarterback and a great match for the Lions, well he was, they are both losers)

offensive lineman Adam Steuer (This was the future hall of famer, after two season in the NFL and 4 years eligble for the Hall, still no votes)

Akili Smith (he had this guy higher than Culpepper and McNabb, hell at least Culpepper still plays)

One of Kiper's most well known mistakes was when he stated that USC wide receiver Mike Williams would be the best player in his 2005 draft class, despite not having played football in over a year after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA. When ESPN analyst Merril Hoge disagreed, Kiper uttered the now infamous line, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction." Williams has been a remarkable disappointment, battling weight problems, playing very little and showing no signs of improvement with any of the three teams he's played for. Williams was unsigned after three years in the NFL as of 2008.

JJ Stokes, picked 10th overall, and Mel crizited teams for passing on him

or wait what about John Walsh.... what you don't know who he is.... really, Mel said he was a sure fire 1st or 2nd rounder...... still don't know him..... man, probably because he fell to the 7th round and never played a game

In 1998 Kiper said that Washington State Quarterback Ryan Leaf's "attitude" (which had rubbed teammates and coaches the wrong way in college) would be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over Peyton Manning. Kiper also said that Leaf had the better natural physical tools and would be a great quarterback, though he still rated Manning as the more polished and better overall prospect. Leaf was chosen second overall by the San Diego Chargers immediately after Manning. Leaf's career soon imploded, largely because of a confrontational attitude and poor practice habits that alienated teammates, coaches, and fans. He is now regarded as not only the worst bust in NFL draft history, but also possibly the biggest bust in all of professional sports. His story is viewed as a cautionary tale of what can happen when a team attempts to build around a player with raw talent but questionable attitude.

Before the 2001 NFL season, Kiper predicted the New England Patriots to go 0-16 and have the 1st pick in the 2002 NFL Draft. Instead, the Patriots went 11-5 and went on to win Super Bowl XXXVI against the St. Louis Rams

I suggest never getting beting tips from the man

but my favorite thing of Kiper all time had to be when he said the Colts sucked in the 94' draft, now yes at the time they did, and the QB he talks about in this section did win a Superbowl, but not because he was lights out, because he had a great o-line, RB, and Defensive.... here you be the judge

ESPN's coverage of the 1994 NFL draft was less than eight and a half minutes in which Kiper said, "The Colts have to come out of this draft with a quarterback." Tennessee's Heath Shuler and Fresno State's Trent Dilfer were regarded as sure-fire future NFL stars, and Indianapolis' starter was Jim Harbaugh. The Colts wound up with two of the first five picks. With No. 2, they chose running back Marshall Faulk from San Diego State. With the fifth pick -- Shuler having gone to the Washington Redskins with the third pick -- the Colts were expected to take Dilfer. Instead, they chose Trev Alberts, a linebacker from Nebraska. Kiper's reaction to this was "To pass up a Trent Dilfer, when all you have is Jim Harbaugh -- give me a break. That's why the Colts are picking second every year in the draft, not battling for the Super Bowl like other clubs in the National Football League."

Less than 10 minutes later, at a location away from the draft site, ESPN's Chris Mortensen was interviewing Colts general manager Bill Tobin. Mortensen asked a question about the Colts' bypassing a quarterback with their top-five choices. Mortensen didn't mention Kiper in his question to Tobin. Tobin's 55-second response was "We got a guy up here ... and who in the hell is Mel Kiper, anyway? I mean, here's a guy who criticizes everybody, whoever they take. He's got the answers to who you should take, to who you shouldn't take. He tells us about your team. He tells us about the Rams. Mel Kiper is a tortoise. He tells us about Tampa and everything else. In my knowledge of him, he's never even put on a jockstrap, he's never been a player, he's never been a coach, he's never been a scout, he's never been an administrator, and all of a sudden, he's an expert. He's in our paper two days ago, telling us who we have to take. We don't have to take anybody that Mel Kiper says we have to take. Mel Kiper has no more credentials to do what he's doing than my neighbor, and my neighbor's a postman and he doesn't even have season tickets to the NFL."

Kiper responded to Tobin with a biting tirade that drew huge cheers from the fans in the gallery and wry smiles from Chris Berman and the other ESPN commentators "I'm secure in my position. Obviously, Bill Tobin's not very secure in his position. ... You cannot go with Jim Harbaugh and pass up Trent Dilfer. That's why the Colts are the laughingstock of the league year in and year out."

Trev Alberts retired after three seasons. Dilfer was moderately successful at Tampa Bay, though after being unceremoniously cut by Tampa after six years, he went on to win Super Bowl XXXV as quarterback of the Baltimore Ravens and has been a respectable mentor to young quarterbacks ever since.

Colts' incumbent Jim Harbaugh led the NFL in passing in 1995 while taking the Colts to the AFC Championship Game. Harbaugh was voted to the Pro-Bowl by his NFL peers.

my thing is Randel el hasn't done anything since going to Redskins (THAT I KNOW OF)

Randel el has done much. A good reciever. And probably our best QB. Man those end around reverse passes work great.

And you got to feel sorry for David Carr. He got hit on every play, even if he handed the ball off, or was just standing on the sidelines. He still got up and played. He had one of the pass percentages in the league. Houston just has no o-line.

No he played nobodys throughout the whole season the only team he played with a defenese was Texas and how did that turn out.

He still put up 35, he doesn't play defense to stop UT from dropping 45 on them. Sure he had 2 INT's in the game, but also 5 TD's. So for Sam, still pretty good game.

Honestly the stock in college defense/offense ratings is bloated and crap. The nations top running attack... Navy, and why? Because all they do is run, and run against poor teams. So when they play a good team and get held, the other team gets praised for stopping the nations best running game. And so on and so forth. It happens for all these teams, like when a team has the best run defense, and play against passing teams or lower level opponents and stop them.

Archived