True National Champ

GatorBait19

It use to aggrivate me that college football didn't have a playoff system. Honestly if we had this discussion about a month ago, I would have been in total aggreament with you guys. But I'm not so sold anymore that it's the right answer. And honestly I am kind of scared of what it possibly could do to college football finacially and otherwise. To ask them to change this to accomidate to "MY" wants seems selfish to me, if it is not going to be the best choice financially or otherwise for them. In this regard I'll have to hold faith that the guys who get paid to make these decisions know what they are doing and know what's best for college football. I'll stand by them because honestly, Utes scandal and all, I just want to watch football. And personally, except for the broadcasting, I enjoyed the national championship this year and don't dissagree with the results so I have no reason to complain about the BCS since I think they got it right this year. As a matter of fact with the exception of Utah that top 5 could have been picked about halfway through the season, maybe in different order, but everyone knew those teams where the best teams in the country pretty quick.

And btw I watched Memphis vs USF, I love the C-USA!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until now, the NCAA had no reason to do away with the current Bowl Game format. The sponsors crawled out of the woodwork, waiving millions of dollars in the faces of NCAA Execs.

2009 will be a different year I suspect.

As for people trying to decipher who's the best? Well, Bowl Games have never been the true answer. As one person here already pointed out, rumor was flying around that the coaches/media were going to vote for Texas had Oklahoma won. Which offers the question, why did BCS get created if the media is still allowed to circumvent the system by voting for its own champion...and that "elected" champion still get recognized?

It's clear and obvious that the lower divisions have the right formula = playoffs. NO hassle, NO drama...fight to the finish for those who qualify for the playoffs.

The format that I suggested previously, consolidates Bowl Games for those "elite" teams...as it was intended from the beginning. Colleges within the assumed "lower conferences" complained for years that they deserved to be in Bowl games. My take on this is --- make your conferences better, strength of schedules better, OOC selections better, or flat out leave the conference for a better one. Conference Champions with a mediocre 7-5 or 6-6 records should not even be in a Bowl game, let alone receive an automatic berth in the playoffs. ***And scheduling the weakest teams in the best conferences won't win you any points lol...win or lose.

Also, should a team go undefeated, but hold a SOS less than 25...in my opinion they have no shoulder to cry on. So what if they beat a top ranked team in a bowl game. It's not that hard to do when 90% of the regular season, saw said undefeated team steamroll over cupcakes and stroll into a Bowl game with a fresh team. *BYU, Boise ST - guilty for years.

Unfortunately, Utah has the biggest argument of all the top teams that were not selected for the BCS Championship. Between the usual cupcakes, they played solid contenders and won them all. To all the others who moaned...cover the games and you wont have an issue ;).

Food for thought : Random addition lol. Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden chose to enter the ACC over the more lucrative offer from the SEC because he believed a National Champion would never come from the SEC..."they'll beat each other up". Good call Bobby lol...good call.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/annarbornews/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1231861209326610.xml&coll=2

Nice story.

" West said he thinks that rankings based on his method - combined with human polls and other computer rankings - would bolster the credibility of the BCS, and provide a solid foundation for seeding teams in a playoff scenario.

If a playoff was in force this season, West said he has his final four teams picked out: Undefeated Utah and one-loss teams from Florida, USC and Texas. "

Archived