TNA Impact Spoiler - who changed the rules?

eayragt

Hernandez comes out and announces he is cashing in his World title shot against Sting right now.

*Hernandez defeated TNA champion Sting via DQ when the MEM interfere.

So, history tells us that the TNA title changes hand on a DQ - that's how Abyss got his reign, right? So why isn't Hernandez TNA champion? It could have worked - like Jeff Hardy's Intercontinental reign for a couple of days when he took the title off Triple H during the Two Man Power Trip days. Sting would obviously win the title back next week, but it would certainly elevate Hernandez - and not make his Feast of Fired win worthless.

Hernandez comes out and announces he is cashing in his World title shot against Sting right now.

*Hernandez defeated TNA champion Sting via DQ when the MEM interfere.

So, history tells us that the TNA title changes hand on a DQ - that's how Abyss got his reign, right? So why isn't Hernandez TNA champion? It could have worked - like Jeff Hardy's Intercontinental reign for a couple of days when he took the title off Triple H during the Two Man Power Trip days. Sting would obviously win the title back next week, but it would certainly elevate Hernandez - and not make his Feast of Fired win worthless.

I remember only one mention of it. I think during an Abyss/Sting cage match in 06. They mentioned that not only could you win via escape (not in NWA:TNA) but that they title would not change hands on DQ

I believe the last one was Abyss beating Sting for the belt (at the PPV after Sting had won the belt). But as stated before, once they made the switch to the TNA title (not the NWA Title) the rule went by the wayside. The rule only really works when used sporadically, otherwise it's a bit meh.

Not a fan of the rule personally. Winning because your opponent was disqualified doesn't really prove you're the greatest fighter in the world. Plus I've always loved having the 'out' of a heel Champion getting disqualified to keep the belt.

Clearly the Feast of Fired briefcase thing was only meant to matter for the match itself. Hernandez won the shot as an 'interesting' challenger, but they had no interest in elevating him beyond his current 'Super-Mex' level.

I agree on the first part. So many good title feuds where the heel holds the belt involves that type of 'clause' skullduggery. It usually builds to a bigger pay-day if booked right.

I'm not so sure that they haven't got a future for Hernandez. He struck me as a guy who could break out in 2009 when I saw him in LAX last year. They allowed him to express himself in the ring with some unbelievable moves for a big guy. I actually thought LAX was getting over quite nicely. I'm not saying that's what going to happen, but he's one of their roster members that could be booked at least to a singles uppercard level, and then if booked with one of the veterans and eventually goes over could be a fringe main eventer.

Maybe I'm just dreaming. But maybe, just maybe the extended MEM domination may build to an avalanche for the front line and the younger guys and maybe... JUST maybe, the storyline that had so much promise but went so poorly in WCW (the New Blood group v Millionaires Club) may be booked right.. Knowing TNA it won't, but one can hope... Right? :D

I'm not so sure that they haven't got a future for Hernandez. He struck me as a guy who could break out in 2009 when I saw him in LAX last year. They allowed him to express himself in the ring with some unbelievable moves for a big guy. I actually thought LAX was getting over quite nicely. I'm not saying that's what going to happen, but he's one of their roster members that could be booked at least to a singles uppercard level, and then if booked with one of the veterans and eventually goes over could be a fringe main eventer.

I think my comment was a bit harsh in hindsight. I seem to remember hearing rumblings of a LAX break-up, which I expect would lead to a Hernandez singles push, but I also heard rumblings that LAX really did want to split. Maybe the Feast of Fired victory was to be the beginning of something, but with LAX wanted to stick together, it was scuppered. Who knows? TNA probably do have plans for him, but what I got from these spoilers was that right this second, Hernandex doesn't seem in line for a singles push.

Not a fan of the rule personally. Winning because your opponent was disqualified doesn't really prove you're the greatest fighter in the world. Plus I've always loved having the 'out' of a heel Champion getting disqualified to keep the belt.

See that's the thing. It wasn't supposed to be this way and TNA did it mediocre enough in the past that it didn't quite have a negative effect and made them stood out.

Being able to win via DQ is supposed to create an image of two wrestlers being more competitive than they were. It was supposed to re-invent the old babyface vs. heel suspense done in the old days.

We know most people see pro-wrestling as fake nowadays. We know people still watch for the glimpse of actual wrestling or actual competition. By having this rule, it puts pressure on all babyface champions to have eyes on the back of his head.

If you remember correctly, it was this very effect that pushed Batista through the roof when he was feuding with HHH. Suddenly "the Game", "the cheater of cheaters" had someone who understood his tricks but also wasn't the Stone Cold Steve Austin kind of way of "I cheat you first before you cheat me back". It was so successful that even a good amount of smarks actually rooted for Batista then. That was also when Batista still wore a suit and his thumbs down was more equivalent to a mob for hire saying "Unfortunately for you, I got to make you swim with the fishes" rather than the crowd pop thumbs down of today.

At the same time, lousy writing couldn't weaken the face by constantly having the heel go out of the ring and getting counted out or have the face stupidly run for the heel after he took several steps away already only to be hit after being lured out of the ring.

It put pressure on both the heel and the face to quickly put their opponents back into the ring as well as allowed the face (especially if he's champion) to equalize a 2 on 1 situation by grabbing a weapon while avoiding damage to get DQ'd first.

It was similar to how the 20 count of Japanese pro-wrestling didn't look stupid and even made fights more competitive than the 10 count of the WWE when in theory it should take away from the suspense and make a 20 count fight look weaker and easier to win than a 10 count fight.

If you could win a title on a DQ, wouldn't Homicide just run in, kick Hernandez in his mighty chest, get Sting disqualified, and bring the belt home to the Latino Nation?

Repeat that tactic against every challenger that comes along, until someone decides to lock Homicide in the dressing room.

Actually that sounds kinda fun.

If you could win a title on a DQ, wouldn't Homicide just run in, kick Hernandez in his mighty chest, get Sting disqualified, and bring the belt home to the Latino Nation?

Repeat that tactic against every challenger that comes along, until someone decides to lock Homicide in the dressing room.

Actually that sounds kinda fun.

Haha, yeah but that's like every heel champion going out of the ring until they get counted out or a champion doing what you wrote to keep the title. The fact that the title can change hands in the "DQ switches belt" situation adds a certain prestige and tension to retaining the belt where in the latter's case, the champion doesn't even have to be smart. Just beat down a cheating heel so bad, make sure the referees sees him trying to cheat, get the DQ and retain the belt.

P.S. If TNA does try that storyline, they would have me back as a viewer. :-p

Archived