The Influx of College Footballers to WWE

MattitudeV2

Its not really surprising considering that most of their fathers played sports, like football, at some level. Actually their have been a ton of wrestlers who played either college or pro football over the years.

Jame's dad Joe coached football and was a weightlifter so that's not surprising

Not sure about Rotunda, but i think Blackjack played football

A bunch of the Samoans played football, off the top of my head Rock played at Miami and Afa Jr. played for Pitt or UConn.

Historically, look at the West Texas State connection, Ernie Ladd played football, as did Wahoo McDaniel. Also the football player that lasts the longest in the WM2 battle royal was the son of a wrestler.

Joe Anoai (Sika's son) played for Georgia Tech and is currently playing in Canada, I think.

Others that played college football on some level off the top of my head:

Steve Austin (North Texas)

JBL (Abilene Christian, D-2, I think)

John Cena (remember them talking about it at some point, D3 or JuCo, I think)

Steve "Mongo" McMichael (Bears)

Lex Luger (Miami, I think)

Brian Pillman (Miami of Ohio & Bengals)

Ron Simmons (FSU & NFL)

Goldberg (Falcons)

EDIT: Just came across this while thinking of the topic

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/113882/which_pro_wrestlers_were_pro_football.html

As infinitywpi said, this topic seems to be stating the obvious - the link between the two is hardly surprising given their nature. It's hardly a new development either, it's a link that goes back decades. Surely it's no more surprising than there being a strong link between wrestling and body building?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="infinitywpi" data-cite="infinitywpi" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="21166" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>... you mean in an industry that values people who are muscular and solidly-built, a lot of people there came from a sport that values people whoa re muscular and solidly built? Wow, that -is- strange...</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's rather the link of a lot of second generation talent being football players than going into the family business.</p><p> Like James Laurinitius has wrestling lineage from his father and his uncle</p><p> Same goes for the Rotundas</p><p> And Mavia is stacked with wrestling lineage.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MattitudeV2" data-cite="MattitudeV2" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="21166" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It's rather the link of a lot of second generation talent being football players than going into the family business.<p> Like James Laurinitius has wrestling lineage from his father and his uncle</p><p> Same goes for the Rotundas</p><p> And Mavia is stacked with wrestling lineage.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> still does not seem strange to me. Football and Wrestling are two sports linked. Football players make more money, on average, than pro wrestlers and by statistics, is a safer sport.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="NickC13573" data-cite="NickC13573" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="21166" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>still does not seem strange to me. Football and Wrestling are two sports linked. Football players make more money, on average, than pro wrestlers and by statistics, is a safer sport.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> And most of those wrestlers probably would have played pro football but had their careers ended by an injury. Its really not shocking at all.</p>

Archived