Affliction PPV

RennikKain076

Did you guys watch it? I thought it was a good show not the best ive ever seen by any means but it was pretty solid minus some terrible annoucing lol.

Arlovski looked good for a little bit there but man Fedor is unshakable even while he was having trouble finding his range and AA was out striking him he waited for a opening and his overhand right took it.

Belfort's KO of Lindland was brutal i'd love to see Belfort take on Dreams Champ Gegard Mousasi at the next card that would be awesome.

My 2nd favorite HW Josh Barnett handled Ivel but credit to Ivel for surviving that long. Barnett vs Fedor cant wait to see it.

Looks like we'll probably see Babalu take on Tito at some point that should be interesting.

What did you guys think of the show? Which fights did you enjoy?

To be honest Fedor is the man.....I thought Arlovski would win I always doubt Fedor before every fight. People can say this and that but to be honest Fedor has beaten more top contenders than anyone else. Fedor is kind of like Rocky Marciano in a sense people are quick to point out his flaws and make excuses as to why he wasn't beaten. I have a lot of respect for him now Arlovski was and still is one of the best and Fedor beat him just like he beat Sylvia, just like he beat Cro Cop, just like he beat Nog twice, just like he beat randleman, herring, 7'2 hong man choi lol, and the list goes on. This card was surprisingly good other than Tito Ortiz being the commentator. The way I figure it Tom Attencio is wise you gotta pay to play baby......I can honestly see in a year from now some UFC fighters leaving to fight in Affliction like sokojou.......especially seeing how they supposidly treat their fighters....Attencio is pretty generous with his money and a lot of money will bring in a lot of talent.,,, he may suffer now but I believe the risk will be worth the reward.

I think that in every fight Fedor goes into, i hear everyone saying that he will loose, i hear people say how he is overrated, one sides and he was lucky and has never fought anyone worthwhile, that he has never went the distance, ect, ect, ect. Most likely people will tell me "it was a lucky swing" MAN, you can be lucky once, but 30 wins? Nobody is that lucky!

To say the truth he was loosing the match, Arlovski was obviously winning the standup and when once in the clinch he also looked comfortable. I think AA made a HUGE mistake going all in so quickly, he should of kept to his conservative game for at least into the late 2nd or early 3rd round. Flying knee agaist the best fighter of all time? A few seconds into the match? Come on man! He should know better than doing something like that;)

Best of all? I got to see this on PPV! I live in Russia now and i only get to see UFC over the net or some old events, Affliction is associated with M-1 and have some agreement to showcase their events on Russian satelight, so i sure hope they do not go bankrupt:D

satelight

Is it spelled that way.. I'm confused. Satellite? :o

Anyways; I've only seen Fedor vs. Arlovski from the event and it was good. You could just sense how Fedor was waiting for the moment, calculating how AA would move, etc., and AA instead got too exited, way over his head and did the mistake that cost him the match.

Fedor said after the fight that he knew Arlovski was prone to make mistakes in fights and that's the point where he caught him. It's incredible to me just how focused and cool that guy is against whoever he face's and how good he is at exploting mistakes. He beat two of the most successful HW's in MMA's young history in Tim Sylvia and Arlovski in a combined time of 3:50 thats extremely impressive.

When it comes to MMA anything can happen....there are many ways in which a fighter could lose.....Fedor winning had nothing to do with luck....this fight just goes to show how genius Fedor is when it comes to the sport. There is something almost unreal about his calmness even under pressure. He wasn't in trouble at any moments during the fight it's as if he doesn't make mistakes....he simply waits until the other fighter does. After tonight i'am just in awe at the way he performs fight after fight. I do believe that Brock Lesner right now would be Fedor's biggest challenge and next to Lesner maybe Alistar Overeem. If Lesner lands a good punch on Fedor it would be over..... that's about the only way Lesner could really beat any top contender right now. If Lesner tried to "Heath Herring" Fedor, by the reference I mean sit on him and basically do nothing Fedor would win easily I believe.

Fedor vs. Lesnar would be the match of the century if and only if Lesnar could keep his compuse just like Fedor.. But I think that Lesnar is still way too green to face Fedor or other MMA-superstars of that calibre. I like Lesnar a lot but Fedor has been doing this for ages..

So many spelling errors!

I sat through that whole event, and Vitor knocking Lindland the F out amped me up big time. It was great to see Vitor do that, really. It was.

Barnett's win was pure domination, nothing flashy or exciting, he just beat Yvel from start to finish - which is what he intended to do.

Arlovski's straight punches were beating Fedor's looping ones. Fedor didn't take him down, which was surprising, but it didn't matter apparently. It came down to one thing, Fedor's timing. Fedor timed Arlovski at the exact moment that Arlovski decided to do something cute. Result? Highlight reel KO. Fedor's first full out KO since RINGS. Holy crap.

Overall, great fights, crappy production. Oh well. I liked Tito doing the interviews, and I loved how the crowd boo'd him. I couldn't figure out whether it was tongue in cheek, or because they legitimately didn't like him though. lol.

Fedor vs. Lesnar would be the match of the century if and only if Lesnar could keep his compuse just like Fedor.. But I think that Lesnar is still way too green to face Fedor or other MMA-superstars of that calibre. I like Lesnar a lot but Fedor has been doing this for ages..

couture must have been be a green rookie who just broke into mma when lesnar smashed him.

couture must have been be a green rookie who just broke into mma when lesnar smashed him.

Like I said: I like Lesnar a lot but comparing an off-his-game Couture and Fedor in his prime.. :confused: I mean c'mon. Couture vs. Lesnar was a really week showing from the veteran. Lesnar is strong, agile, all that but against Fedor he would lose. Fedor is stronger and bigger than couture for one thing.

(I really don't to argue, I'm an MMA-noob and I've only been following the sport for a year or so. These are my amateurish opinion and points of view that I have towards the things mentioned here. Read: I know nothing of MMA :D)

Enjoyed the fights. The PPV itself was iffy, but that didn't take too much away from the fights.

The Belfort knockout was awesome. It got a bit scary there when Lindland didn't come back out of it for a few minutes. He looked messed up bad.

Arlovski looked good against Fedor, but that isn't going to cut it against the Emelianenko. One mistake is all it takes. But Arlovski has a history of that. My guess is that Fedor was looking for that kind of move and was ready. Such a smart fighter...

A lot of talk going in that this could be the last Affliction PPV, and Atencio's post-fight talking seems like they are just hoping for a miracle.

"There has to be competition, whether it's us or somebody else. Hopefully there's somebody out there that will continue to give [these fighters] a home and hopefully it will be us."

I think that in every fight Fedor goes into, i hear everyone saying that he will loose, i hear people say how he is overrated, one sides and he was lucky and has never fought anyone worthwhile, that he has never went the distance, ect, ect, ect. Most likely people will tell me "it was a lucky swing" MAN, you can be lucky once, but 30 wins? Nobody is that lucky!

To say the truth he was loosing the match, Arlovski was obviously winning the standup and when once in the clinch he also looked comfortable. I think AA made a HUGE mistake going all in so quickly, he should of kept to his conservative game for at least into the late 2nd or early 3rd round. Flying knee agaist the best fighter of all time? A few seconds into the match? Come on man! He should know better than doing something like that;)

Best of all? I got to see this on PPV! I live in Russia now and i only get to see UFC over the net or some old events, Affliction is associated with M-1 and have some agreement to showcase their events on Russian satelight, so i sure hope they do not go bankrupt:D

I was avoiding this topic precisely because I knew the post-fight feeling most Fedor fans have in this thread but your reply made me want to defend myself.

I know this wasn't directed specifically at me but it's no secret that I'm one of the ones who's explained in details why I think Fedor is overrated in this forum so I just want to point out why this is a case where you shouldn't lump all people who think Fedor is overrated as Fedor haters and why you shouldn't generalize all of our reasonings as one because you're bound to paint many of us as bad or stupid. (Note that these same criteria holds up for many on the Fedor supporter side)

For one thing, I'm not the only one who said we believe Fedor can beat AA and that AA didn't deserve to fight Fedor irregardless of the results. If you didn't read my reply in the previous thread in details, I also pointed out how I was not selling Andre short and he was still a former UFC champion so it wasn't like he didn't have the tools to challenge Fedor.

Many people like me who believed Fedor was overrated in fact never mentioned anything about luck. We also never said Andre was definitely going to give Fedor a beating or have a definite edge coming into this fight. This sentiment un-suprisingly didn't start to catch steam until around the Affliction weigh-ins. Believe me before that, the number of people who thought Fedor was overrated but could beat AA was closer to 70-30 based on general impressions across the net.

I'd also like to add that my disagreement with your fight should prove why some of us just think Fedor is overrated but aren't haters. For one, I disagree with your opinion that AA was winning anything. AA came to the fight with a different fight approach than people normally expect from him so it's only natural that Fedor would feel him up more. (Note that Fedor didn't exactly hide that he was going to feel up AA regardless of how he came into this fight)

This only seems weak because of the overrated-ness of Fedor but if you see that fight as two MMA fighters fighting in the 1st round, I saw that as a 50-50 fight before the KO with the advantage going to Fedor. You saw this when Fedor finally countered AA. It wasn't so much a huge mistake on AA's part (though there is a good chance he might feel that was the mistake that led to his loss) for trying the knee as it was AA coming in with a bad gameplan and mindset to fight Fedor.

There will likely lots of you balking at that thought and even thinking that I'm just trying to paint AA bad so that I can further call Fedor overrated but I'd just like to point out how this isn't new in MMA. When Anderson Silva fought Dan Henderson and many felt Dan was clearly winning the first round, many of us including Joe Rogan commentated on how Silva tends to use the first round as a feeling out process and the 2nd round finished the story that the first alluded to. Considering the fact that I was more of a Henderson fan in that one, this really isn't a case of trying to paint something I saw as different. I just tend to say what I directly feel in each fight I see. No more, no less.

As far as the event and to keep on-topic, it was a decent event for Affliction but they definitely need to have a much clearer roadmap from here on out on where they want to go.

As an event, it was on par with a better packaged pre-TUF era UFC. That means it still doesn't hold much suspense compared to a modern day UFC and Affliction has to decide whether they want to continue trying to paint themselves as this "once in a few months" mega-event or they'd rather work on establishing a more balanced event that's a UFC alternative.

Overall, it's an ok event for me because I really feel when Vitor was training with Xtreme Couture that this was his most legit "comeback" to the top rankings and so that got me more interested than the first event despite the poorer marketing. That said, I still feel Affliction needs to work on better bookings. First one felt as fun as watching paint dry and second one still had close to the same effect because almost all the fights, you knew who was most likely going to win and the opposition didn't provide as much challenge to the winning side but that's me. I tend to value how fighters win as much as how fighters are booked according to the pre-fight hype. I also tend to ignore most marketing and hype on an event with the exception of stuff like the UFC Countdown and often only as curiosity to what each opponent would say in an already well-booked match-up.

If anything, it should say something about Fedor that Arlovski was following his gameplan and looked like he was doing everything right - yet he still got beat.

Arlovski was not a can. People like to blather on about how Fedor is going to lose, most of them are trolls, some of them just like the other fighter more. They also like to get mad that Fedor is overrated, but so is -EVERY- single winning prime athlete in any sport. I can't stand watching golf when Tiger Woods plays, because that's all they ever show and ever talk about.

The major difference, Fedor is undefeated. Everyone else on the P4P list is just on a good winning streak. If you count Kohsaka's elbow cut as a loss, then I don't know what to tell you. But he's still on a longer winning streak than any of them.

#1 Fedor

#2 GSP (With a possible #1 after BJ)

#3 Anderson

#4 Miguel Torres

#5 BJ

I'd rather see Affliction go away by the way. The production values were just sort of bad. The fights were great, but the show itself not so much. I want Fedor in the UFC, and I want him to face the winner of Mir vs Lesnar - so he can say that he really IS the greatest fighter of his era. That he beat everyone of consequence.

I was avoiding this topic precisely because I knew the post-fight feeling most Fedor fans have in this thread but your reply made me want to defend myself.

I know this wasn't directed specifically at me but it's no secret that I'm one of the ones who's explained in details why I think Fedor is overrated in this forum so I just want to point out why this is a case where you shouldn't lump all people who think Fedor is overrated as Fedor haters and why you shouldn't generalize all of our reasonings as one because you're bound to paint many of us as bad or stupid. (Note that these same criteria holds up for many on the Fedor supporter side)

For one thing, I'm not the only one who said we believe Fedor can beat AA and that AA didn't deserve to fight Fedor irregardless of the results. If you didn't read my reply in the previous thread in details, I also pointed out how I was not selling Andre short and he was still a former UFC champion so it wasn't like he didn't have the tools to challenge Fedor.

Many people like me who believed Fedor was overrated in fact never mentioned anything about luck. We also never said Andre was definitely going to give Fedor a beating or have a definite edge coming into this fight. This sentiment un-suprisingly didn't start to catch steam until around the Affliction weigh-ins. Believe me before that, the number of people who thought Fedor was overrated but could beat AA was closer to 70-30 based on general impressions across the net.

I'd also like to add that my disagreement with your fight should prove why some of us just think Fedor is overrated but aren't haters. For one, I disagree with your opinion that AA was winning anything. AA came to the fight with a different fight approach than people normally expect from him so it's only natural that Fedor would feel him up more. (Note that Fedor didn't exactly hide that he was going to feel up AA regardless of how he came into this fight)

This only seems weak because of the overrated-ness of Fedor but if you see that fight as two MMA fighters fighting in the 1st round, I saw that as a 50-50 fight before the KO with the advantage going to Fedor. You saw this when Fedor finally countered AA. It wasn't so much a huge mistake on AA's part (though there is a good chance he might feel that was the mistake that led to his loss) for trying the knee as it was AA coming in with a bad gameplan and mindset to fight Fedor.

There will likely lots of you balking at that thought and even thinking that I'm just trying to paint AA bad so that I can further call Fedor overrated but I'd just like to point out how this isn't new in MMA. When Anderson Silva fought Dan Henderson and many felt Dan was clearly winning the first round, many of us including Joe Rogan commentated on how Silva tends to use the first round as a feeling out process and the 2nd round finished the story that the first alluded to. Considering the fact that I was more of a Henderson fan in that one, this really isn't a case of trying to paint something I saw as different. I just tend to say what I directly feel in each fight I see. No more, no less.

As far as the event and to keep on-topic, it was a decent event for Affliction but they definitely need to have a much clearer roadmap from here on out on where they want to go.

As an event, it was on par with a better packaged pre-TUF era UFC. That means it still doesn't hold much suspense compared to a modern day UFC and Affliction has to decide whether they want to continue trying to paint themselves as this "once in a few months" mega-event or they'd rather work on establishing a more balanced event that's a UFC alternative.

Overall, it's an ok event for me because I really feel when Vitor was training with Xtreme Couture that this was his most legit "comeback" to the top rankings and so that got me more interested than the first event despite the poorer marketing. That said, I still feel Affliction needs to work on better bookings. First one felt as fun as watching paint dry and second one still had close to the same effect because almost all the fights, you knew who was most likely going to win and the opposition didn't provide as much challenge to the winning side but that's me. I tend to value how fighters win as much as how fighters are booked according to the pre-fight hype. I also tend to ignore most marketing and hype on an event with the exception of stuff like the UFC Countdown and often only as curiosity to what each opponent would say in an already well-booked match-up.

Just out of curiosity, How long does it take you on average to write these all the time ?

I moved Anderson ahead of Fedor for not fighting anyone of worth for some time, like most major polls, but after last night... Fedor regains it and I can not even justify the winner of GSP/Penn moving ahead regardless of outcome.

1. Fedor Emelianenko

2. Anderson Silva

3. Georges St. Pierre

4. BJ Penn

5. Miguel Torres

(6. Rashad Evans - 7. Lyoto Machida)

Yeah I think it's hard to argue that Fedor isnt pfp the best. But I do think you can make a case for GSP if he beats BJ Penn. since losing to Serra he's notched wins against Koscheck, Hughes, Serra, and Fitch in dominating fashion thats impressive so I wouldnt be mad if he was put ahead of Fedor.

I do agree that Fedor is a bit overrated he is in fact not a inhuman android who can armbar a bear without breaking a sweat but he showed once again why he is the undisputed top HW in MMA. Josh Barnett is the last top HW of the last 6 years that he hasnt beaten.

With that said the winner of Mir vs Lesnar 2 will emerge as the newest number two HW in the world most likely so a fight between Fedor and the winner is something i'd love to see.

Yeah I think it's hard to argue that Fedor isnt pfp the best. But I do think you can make a case for GSP if he beats BJ Penn. since losing to Serra he's notched wins against Koscheck, Hughes, Serra, and Fitch in dominating fashion thats impressive so I wouldnt be mad if he was put ahead of Fedor.

I do agree that Fedor is a bit overrated he is in fact not a inhuman android who can armbar a bear without breaking a sweat but he showed once again why he is the undisputed top HW in MMA. Josh Barnett is the last top HW of the last 6 years that he hasnt beaten.

With that said the winner of Mir vs Lesnar 2 will emerge as the newest number two HW in the world most likely so a fight between Fedor and the winner is something i'd love to see.

I disagree.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/89blazer/fedor.jpg

Archived