Sad story about wrestling legend

alden

BLOOMINGTON - An 82-year-old Minnesotan wrestling legend is under investigation after the death of his 97-year-old roommate.

Police believe that Verne Gagne may have contributed to the January death of Helmut R. Gutmann, who lived with him in the Bloomington living facility, Friendship Village. Gagne and 97-year-old Gutmann, who both suffer from Alzheimer's-related dementia, allegedly got into a fight on Jan. 26 that led to Gutmann's death.

Gutmann suffered a broken leg and a head injury in the fight. He was hospitalized, then released, but then was re-hospitalized due to complications. Four days ago, Gutmann died.

Bloomington Police are investigating the death as suspicious, after being contacted by an elderly rights group.

A manner of death has not officially been determined.

It's unknown if Gagne would ever be charged because of his mental state. He has been dismissed from the living facility.

Gutmann was a former cancer research scientist at the University of Minnesota, who escaped **** Germany.

Verne Gagne's history

Verne Gagne first entered the world of wrestling in 1949. Before long, he became the perennial champion and owner/promoter of the American Wrestling Association. He was a host of the weekly TV show, All-Star Wrestling, the highest-rated show on local prime-time television for nearly 40 years.

Over the years, Gagne influenced the careers of Vachon, the Crusher, Andre the Giant, Hulk Hogan, and Jesse Ventura.

He was inducted into the World Pro Wrestling Hall of Hame in 1999. Gagne's signature wrestling move was a sleeper hold.

EmailThis

Print this story View Story on a Single Page

Minnesota Wisconsin Must Read Carstarphen: Austin Job Search Closed Guilty Plea in Theft of Braille Laptop Best Buy Cuts 250 Jobs at Corp. HQ,… Feds Reject Imams' US Airways… More Local » YouTube Fights Add Police Patrols to… Jail Time for Neglecting Colt… Tax on iTunes Downloads in Wis. Gov's… Wis. Considers Releasing Prison… Rare Bird Found, Sold, Eaten Video: Dogs, Cats Dress Up For Carnival Would You 'Pimp This Bum'? Highway Hamburgers, Hold The Traffic

National NewsWhere Is Rogue Financier? Stanford… Another Woman Says Travis the Chimp… Georgia Thunderstorms Kill 1, Injure… Detectives: Pregnant Model's Murder… More National »

Morning Show Recipes Contests Garden Guy | Orchid Fever MONDO Fest: 20 Years Juggling Strong The Morning Dish: A.I. gets a… More AM Show » Chocolate Lava Cake Molten Chocolate Cake Recipe Smart Cooking for Valentine's Day Chicken Frittata Pro Bowl Recipe More Recipes » Time Out For Trivia myFOXHockey Hair Challenge School Spirit Contest All Contests »

Speaking as someone who has a grandparent with Ahlzheimer's... there's nothing funny about this. If nothing else, the man's family is being amazingly thougghtful, saying they know Gagne most likely had no idea what he was doing.

The real tragedy here is how we treat and care for our elderly.

I have worked for in home services taking care of people with Ahlzheimer's and it is a hard experince for somone to go through. In the end the person in some cases do not remember them own children.

I am surprised that he is in a retirement home to be honest. I know they lost alot of money but i figured he would have enough left to have alteast a house of his own to retire in.

Read this earlier today, and I'm sorry... I didn't find it sad. I found it very humorous. I'm just left picturing him bodyslamming his 97 year old roommate. That's how I'd want to go.

Then there's something wrong with you. Finding any innocent human's death funny is just sick.

I felt nothing, does that mean I'm sick?

Think it's a big leap from apathy to humorous.

I fall into the same boat as infinity. My grandfather died of Alzheimers, and near the end, he couldn't remember my grandmothers name, and they'd been married for almost 45 years.

lol @ you people.

Death can't be funny? Since when? There are articles written on comical deaths.

I feel for his family, losing a family member sucks. But I'll still maintain the thought of Verne Gagne killing someone via a bodyslam is simply comical. And as I said, if I get that old, that's how I'd want to go out.

lol @ you people.

Death can't be funny? Since when? There are articles written on comical deaths.

I feel for his family, losing a family member sucks. But I'll still maintain the thought of Verne Gagne killing someone via a bodyslam is simply comical. And as I said, if I get that old, that's how I'd want to go out.

I'm with you man. Sure, the story sucks... for them. For me? Not so much. My best friend's grandfather had Alzheimer's, that was before I knew her though. but, honestly.

You all know we're not even supposed to live that long, right?

I'm 30, 200 years ago I'd damn near be considered elderly.

If the people at the place this occurred are too "busy" to keep an eye on the attendants, then, well, there you go.

P.S. I'd live to go out by flying elbow, Macho Man style.

I'm laughing at the thought of two old dudes fighting but not even knowing why or who they are fighting. What's he gonna do beat him with his oxygen tank?

The funny thing is that Verne Gagne (Oxygen tank and all) could probably legit **** you (Or anyone else on this board for that matter) up... He's the American Stu Hart.

This is all the faults of the people deciding to room an amatuer wrestling standout with Alzheimers with anyone. That was a fatal mistake as Gagne is a legit badass.

I have worked for in home services taking care of people with Ahlzheimer's and it is a hard experince for somone to go through. In the end the person in some cases do not remember them own children.

I am surprised that he is in a retirement home to be honest. I know they lost alot of money but i figured he would have enough left to have alteast a house of his own to retire in.

It could be an expensive retirement home. I know several people that end up in retirement homes or some form of housing(With Medical), that allows them to live the rest of their lives with proper medical treatment around 24/7. Has nothing to do with their money.... Unless they are very wealthy and can afford in house medical assistance.

Anyways, yeah, he could have money still and still need some form of home in which to get the care he needs.

The funny thing is that Verne Gagne (Oxygen tank and all) could probably legit **** you (Or anyone else on this board for that matter) up... He's the American Stu Hart.

This is all the faults of the people deciding to room an amatuer wrestling standout with Alzheimers with anyone. That was a fatal mistake as Gagne is a legit badass.

At his age though, it's probably not that likely that he could... > Pluss with his medical condition, it's probably he has forgot more then most will ever know.

Archived