Pistons vs Pacers Debacle

Needs a Hug.... [QUOTE=saintbernard]Once the Home team, the Detroit Goons in this case, Refuse to Protect the other team from abuse, then yes it does become up to the players to protect themselves. why do you or anyone expect the Pacer players to sit through an entire game and have fans throw things towards the bench and yell nasty things at them? those are not the rights you have when you buy a ticket to a sporting event. In your life, if you were being verbally abused and physically abused, and you called the Police and nothing was done and the abuse continued would you stand up for yourself eventually? most of us in the world would, especially those of us that are naturally competitive which 99% of pro athletes are. By not responding to the situation early on, the Detroit Goons escalated the situation to where the fans that were doing this knew they could get away with pretty much anything that happened. and one last rant, I love how as a society we hold Pro athletes, musicians and other entertainers to such high standards that OOHHH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! he went into the stands and pushed some guy down..... There were Probably 200 murders committed that same night across the country. that's just a bit damnn more important that some fight at a basketball game. it's a damnn sporting event not WW3. Artest should have been suspended 20 games, Jackson 20 games, O'neal 10 games, Ben Wallace 10 Games and the Pistons forced to play 20 home games at a neutral site or in an empty arena and then be done with this crap. it shouldn't still be in the news almost a week later. there's soo much more important things for people to worry about. what about our soldiers over in Iraq and Afghanistan. or people withut jobs.[/QUOTE] So if Artest had killed the guy he shoved down then would you agree he needs the suspension? :eek:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=Gary Gorski]If ever there was an appropriate time for pot.kettle.black :) Hey, at least they threw plastic cups and not batteries. Nudge, nudge ;)[/QUOTE] But we usually do it the cowboys. That's ok isn't it? Philly gets such a bad name. Our fans usually don't attack players just fans of the other team. That's the way it's supposed to be isn't it?

[QUOTE=Celts-Sonics Fan] Some of you have stated that if somebody swears at you or uses racial slurs, that you are entitled to a physical response. Where did you ever get this idea? It is simply not true. Hey i agree I would like there to be laws against racial slurs and swearing in general. However we have somehting called "The Bill of Rights" which guarantees free speech. It does not guarantee the freedom to physically abuse another individual. [/QUOTE] Actually if someone says to you, I'm going to kill you. That is considered a terroistic threat and can indeed be considered a verbal attack and you can defend yourself from that person. 2nd point, being struck with an object is actually aggravated assault and again you can say you were acting in self defense. Those same bill of rights, also don't allow people to throw bottles at people.

[QUOTE=Druez]Actually if someone says to you, I'm going to kill you. That is considered a terroistic threat and can indeed be considered a verbal attack and you can defend yourself from that person. 2nd point, being struck with an object is actually aggravated assault and again you can say you were acting in self defense. Those same bill of rights, also don't allow people to throw bottles at people.[/QUOTE] A paper cup is not a lethal weapon, but nice try. No matter how you "slice" it, Artest was guilty and the Commish did the right thing. Now hopefully the police will do the right thing and prosecute the guilty fan. The kill you phrase only works if they have a weapon with them. Otherwise it's just words until the first punch is thrown.

[QUOTE=Gary Gorski]Artest doesn't respect the punishment he got now or the last nine times he was suspended. If he did he wouldn't have been on the Today show pimping his record label and CD - he would have been apologizing up and down and admitting that he needs some help.[/QUOTE] He had a press conference scheduled for the sole purpose of apologizing, and his lawyer told him it was a bad idea. I'm assuming it was obviously for legal reasons. So there's your answer for that.

[QUOTE=Pacersfan46]He had a press conference scheduled for the sole purpose of apologizing, and his lawyer told him it was a bad idea. I'm assuming it was obviously for legal reasons. So there's your answer for that.[/QUOTE] the one's needing to apologise are the Detroit Goons Organization for letting the situation escalate all game long and doing nothing about it.

Come on, look at my user name, and even I don't think that as strongly as you. I think some apology (and punishment) is needed, but Artest had a choice too. He made the wrong one, and is being punished for it. He made a choice that he KNEW was going to garner a suspension. Regardless of people being, or not being thrown out of a game ... he had a choice.

Archived