Guys, I have both WS1 and WS2 installed. Obviously WS2 is a much better game, but which do you guys like better? The reason I favor WS1 is because it has some real world mods that are accessible to me, whereas I haven't found much for WS2. I also don't like that the way to make friends in WS2 is by winning 3 hands of blackjack, which has nothing to do with the game. As far as graphics and everything, WS2 is much better. What are some of the main differences as far as overness and popularity? In WS1, it seems the only way to gain more overness is just to win. How does that compare to WS2? And does anybody know of any good real world mods for WS2? Sorry for so many questions, but with the announcement of WS3, I wanted to get back in the spirit. lol

That's actually a good question and one I can't give you a clear answer to because I liked both of them for different reasons. Sometimes I'll feel like going back and playing 2 or 1. There's things to each of them that set them apart.

I like 2's overall system better because it's more realistic with the overness. Funny that you mention in Wrestling Spirit 1 that you only get popularity for winning but if I remember right, you also get it if you put on an A match or something along those lines, unlike WS2 where that didn't matter. I kinda understood the reality aspect over kayfabe but even in a real fight, I think the overness penalties should be relaxed if you lose in a good effort grade wise mostly because it's a Rocky situation where you went the distance and looked good, instead of say being destroyed and not getting a match flowing. In terms of getting somewhere though, it was easy to get into a promotion in WS1 after a while whereas with WS2, you had to struggle for a while. I also liked the injury system for WS1 because it was unpredictable and there was always the option to turn them off.

I didn't mind the Blackjack game, it wasn't that hard to win if you utilized your sunset flips and run ins, etc. I did like the try out system for WS1 where you looked for work and would get a try out and had to put on a match up to a certain grade, instead of just winning. Or promotions would approach you to work for them. There was also the training with WS1 which was great and I think it was in WS2 but you always got a boost in your stats with matches too in WS1 that seemed more noticeable but that might because you had your stats in number so it was easier to see. I'd like to see a mix between the two games for three personally with a few others touches thrown in but that's just me, it'll be interesting to see what others think.

I too was wondering this (WS1 vs WS2). I have downloaded both demos.

For some reason, I am leaning toward WS1 as my favorite.

With the demos you are only allowed to play a month of action, so it's tough to really get a good feel.

I don't like that you cannot start a career in the WS2 Demo. I also agree with the "Blackjack" stuff. Too goofy of a reason to make friends and I hate that whether you win or lose at a blackjack game determines if you make friends or get good advice, etc. Reminds me of the goofy, meeting a guy in a bar, situation that I think ruined OOTP'S "Inside The Park" version of the baseball game.

The graphics seem better in WS2, but I actually like the simplicity of WS1.

I wish that it was still possible to purchase WS1, but from what I can tell you have to now buy the "Collection Set". My fault for being late in getting in on the first WS game!

I hope others chime in on this, I am on the edge. Not sure whether I want to dive in and buy WS2 or Buy the Collection, so I can get WS1. Both are great games though, just semm to be leaning toward WS1 from what I've seen through the DEMO.

Too goofy of a reason to make friends and I hate that whether you win or lose at a blackjack game determines if you make friends or get good advice,

Is it me or am i the only one that actually likes the blackjack.. The way i saw it was you were sitting backstage playing cards with them before/after a show and the money was used to buy drinks

Is it me or am i the only one that actually likes the blackjack.. The way i saw it was you were sitting backstage playing cards with them before/after a show and the money was used to buy drinks

I was thinking the same thing, relationships really is all down to luck most of the time in real life and I thought it was a cool way to implement it.

• 2 weeks later...
I was thinking the same thing, relationships really is all down to luck most of the time in real life and I thought it was a cool way to implement it.

Let me first point out that I loved blackjack, but I disagree that forming relationships is down to luck, I think its more about having a combination of personalitys traits that certain other combinations mesh well with and others, not so much.

There are a few things that I like about WS1.

1) Your wrestler is given interview time during a card and it is always interupted. This is a good way of targeting wrestlers for feuds.

2) Your wrestler grows (improves skills) through his in ring experience with better wrestlers and/or wrestlers with great skills in different areas.

Also, for those looking for real world mods, how about DOTT, which deals with the real world back in the 1980's.

• 3 weeks later...

My Thoughts:

Wrestling Spirit 1 is much better for the overall experience. You can have promoters come to you for jobs, you can get interviews, you can interact with tons of people in tons of ways, you learn from your matches and workouts rather than $, and everything seemed faster.

Wrestling Spirit 2 is much better for in the ring antics. The matches in WreSpi 1 were....lackluster in comparison. The only aspect, match wise, that WreSpi 1 did better is scoring. Getting a B+ match was very hard, maybe even impossible, if you didn't have good stats and your opponent didn't have good stats. Also, who can resist doing a Burning Hammer with that extra little "oomph"?

• 2 weeks later...
You're not actually making friends because of a game of blackjack, it's a metaphor - it really staggers me that so many people take it so literally.

Perhaps that's something that can be improved upon in WS3.. making it clearer for the many people who the metaphor was lost on, that is.

After all, if a feature or idea doesn't immediately click with its target audience, it doesn't necessarily mean that the feature was bad or the people who didn't like it were just wrong; sometimes it's as simple as a breakdown of communication, which keeps the two parties from connecting.

• 4 months later...
Perhaps that's something that can be improved upon in WS3.. making it clearer for the many people who the metaphor was lost on, that is.

After all, if a feature or idea doesn't immediately click with its target audience, it doesn't necessarily mean that the feature was bad or the people who didn't like it were just wrong; sometimes it's as simple as a breakdown of communication, which keeps the two parties from connecting.

Just a quick question, what is the metaphor? :p

• 2 weeks later...
I been playing both WS1 and WS2 and it is an interesting experience. If I didn't know I wouldn't believe that they were created by the same developer, much less in the same series. WS1 is a logical out growth of TEW, a pro wrestling sim set in the same universe but with the player changing roles. WS2 isn't a pro wrestling game, I'm not really sure what its simulating. If it were set in the MMA universe, it would make more sense. In a way its like a 1960 wrestling fan's daydream of what working in the business must be like. Though the interface is abysmal, the matches are tedious and you start as the 'Ultimate Wimp' (Registered Trademark), it is still somehow fun as if a great game were trying escape and almost succeeding. Any game that believes High Flying spots that virtually always require the assistance of the 'victim' to keep the Spot Monkey from breaking every bone in his body could function in the same 'real' world with technical (collegiate) wrestling and quasi-MMA fighting deserves applause for being audacious if nothing else.

Archived