Barnett test postive

GatorBait19

I'm certainly not surprised. Like what was said, this isn't the first time he's been tested positive. I was actually kinda looking forward to this fight too.

Lashley is definitely an interesting choice for replacement. He's like 4-0, right? Not sure who his competition was though. I'd have to look. It'd be neat to see how he fares against a fighting beast like Fedor.

BTW, I've been out of the MMA loop for awhile now, but I've just gotten back into it recently so I may sound a tad noobish, lol.

:o

So Fedor's next fight goes from possibly one of the toughest tests of his career into an easy win as who can really beat him on 11 days notice? Belfort is supposed to be the front runner to step up but he is now a middleweight so he would be giving up weight to Fedor and also Fedor is much more talented then him anyway. Lashley is too inexperianced to step up against the #1 Heavyweight in the world and Fedor would beat him rather easily. Other possible opponents for him could be the other Heavyweights already on the card such as Buentello , Yvel, Rothwell or maybe even Broughton just for a laugh. A better option if possible would be to get Fabricio Werdum to fight Fedor as he has been training for a fight with Overeem so he will be ready, but since Overeem pulled out he has no opposnent and before his last fight he was a top 10 Heavyweight and front of the line for a UFC Heavyweight title shot.

Another story on it

To further update you on the story I posted earlier this morning, MMA Fanhouse is reporting that Ricardo Arona and Brett Rogers are also being considered to replace Josh Barnett next Saturday at Afflcition Trilogy.

In my original post I stated that Vitor Belfort and Bobby Lashley were being considered as replacements to take on Fedor Emelianenko in the main event. Lashley's manager said this was not the right time for him to take on such a significant fight.

Belfort has been preparing to face Jorge Santiago in a middleweight bout so while he has expressed a desire to one day face Fedor, this is not the right time for him to do so. Brett Rogers would be a perfect replacement as he is coming off the biggest win of his career. He knocked out former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski in just twenty two seconds back in June at Strikeforce's Shields vs. Lawler event. Rogers is currently 10-0 with 9 of those victories coming by way of knockout. Having fought once on CBS and three times on Showtime, Rogers has gained some valuable name recognition.

Arona hasn't fought since 2007 when he was still with Pride. He is currently scheduled to make a comeback in September as he has signed on to fight for Bitetti Combat which is based out of Brazil. Arona normally fights as a light heavyweight but with Fedor fighting at just 230lbs, Arona wouldn't be at that much of a disadvantage.

It wouldn't be the first time the two would meet in a ring as Fedor won a unanimous decision back in December of 2000 while they were both fighting in the Rings organization. Arone has fought some of the best fighters in the world including Jeremy Horn (2 wins), Guy Mezger (Win), Dan Henderson (Win), Murilo "Ninja" Rua (Win), Rampage Jackson (Loss), Dean Lister (Win), Kazushi Sakuraba (Win), Wanderlei Silva (1 win, 1 loss), Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (Loss) and Alistair Overeem (Win). There are two big drawbacks going against Arona, one is the long layoff and the other is his familiarity amongst the American fans.

As more news becomes available I will be sure to report on it.

Brett Rogers would be awesome...

Honestly i was a bit nervous about Fedor losing against Barnett but that has gone now.

Why lame exactly?

Belfort is a decent fighter who never lived up to his potential, and has no business fighting at heavyweight. Sure, he has a puncher's chance. But Fedor has already fought Arona and Lindland; I've seen enough of him fighting undersized opposition. Rogers would have been fun, Lashley too. I don't think any of these guys pose a real threat to Fedor, but Belfort just turned down a fight at 205 because he didn't want to move up that high. Now he's fighting at heavyweight?

I give it a "meh." I won't be ordering the PPV.

Not sure they would've given Lashley such a spot, tbh.

Lashley was offered 500,000 and turned the fight down.

Still nothing official. Belfort is the likely choice as Werdum/Rogers were denied by Strikeforce. And probably little interest in Jeff Monson even though he's stepped up and wants the fight. I'd much rather keep Santiago/Belfort than get Belfort/Fedor.

I give it a "meh." I won't be ordering the PPV.

The card is stacked. Sadly these were the two top fights, but the rest of the card is still worth 40.

mmajunkie.com

Aug. 1 "Affliction: Trilogy" event canceled

The Aug. 1 "Affliction: Trilogy" event, which lost its main event earlier this week when headliner Josh Barnett was denied a licensed due to a failed drug test, has been canceled.

News of the cancellation was first reported by veteran MMA journalist Josh Gross of SI.com.

Affliction Entertainment officials were not immediately available for comment when contacted by MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com), but a source close to the event confirmed the decision has been made to scrap the show altogether.

According to the SI.com report, event organizers have begun contacting the event's fighters to inform them of the cancellation. The event, which was expected to feature a main event between Barnett and famed Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko, was slated to take place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., and air on pay-per-view and HDNet.

Other notables such as Renato "Babalu" Sobral, Jorge Santiago, Gegard Mousasi, Paul Buentello and Jay Hieron were also slated to compete on the card.

Stay tuned to MMAjunkie.com for continued coverage of this story.

Archived