A few match engine changes...

Just a note to say that in coming patches there are going to be several small additions to the match engine, continuing the efforts to make it as complete as possible.

The new additions for the July 22nd patch (not yet released due to an issue with uploading, should be up later today):

- Better striking battles, as fighters who are clearly predominantly strikers will be more willing to stand and bang against opponents with superior firepower rather than trying to go with alternate attacks

- The addition of judo throws from the clinch for fighters with Judo ticked in their background

The new additions for the next patch after that (currently set to be released next week):

- The ability to throw elbows to the top of the head from the bottom of the guard (a la Sanchez vs. Guida)

- The ability to counter a rear naked choke by rolling the opponent onto his back and then spinning over to end up in his guard

- Increased awareness for fighters in side control to allow them to specifically look to take the back from that position (they currently can get to the back from side control, but only as a side effect of a partially blocked attempt to get to mount). This will be predominantly for fighters who are more likely to end a fight by choke-out rather than ground-and-pound, and so therefore are more likely to prefer to take the back than the mount.

One potential change that I'll open up for discussion is the idea of adding a 30th position to the game; the one I'm thinking of is the slightly messy situation that sometimes occurs following a takedown where one fighter is down and sitting with his back wedged against the cage, with the aggressor on top with his arms grasped around either the opponent's waist or thighs, with the grounded fighter's legs between the aggressor's. It seems to happen fairly regularly (I think I remember it happened at least once during Jon Fitch's last fight), and doesn't really fit into any of the existing categories as the attacker doesn't really have mount or side control but the defender doesn't have any sort of guard.

My suggestion is that this could occur only in caged environments, and only from three events; following a takedown while grappling against the cage, following a shot where the opponent was near the cage, and when the defender tried to cage walk his way back to his feet but got blocked.

The attacker would have the following options: Strike Attack (Punches or Elbows), Look To Turn It To Side Control, Attempt Guillotine, Smother, Look To Turn It To Full Mount, and Stand Up (backing off).

The defender would have the following options: Cage Walk, Attempt Guillotine, Attempt To Secure Guard \ Half Guard, Attempt Sweep, Weak Strike Attacks.

One potential change that I'll open up for discussion is the idea of adding a 30th position to the game; the one I'm thinking of is the slightly messy situation that sometimes occurs following a takedown where one fighter is down and sitting with his back wedged against the cage, with the aggressor on top with his arms grasped around either the opponent's waist or thighs, with the grounded fighter's legs between the aggressor's. It seems to happen fairly regularly (I think I remember it happened at least once during Jon Fitch's last fight), and doesn't really fit into any of the existing categories as the attacker doesn't really have mount or side control but the defender doesn't have any sort of guard.

My suggestion is that this could occur only in caged environments, and only from three events; following a takedown while grappling against the cage, following a shot where the opponent was near the cage, and when the defender tried to cage walk his way back to his feet but got blocked.

The attacker would have the following options: Strike Attack (Punches or Elbows), Look To Turn It To Side Control, Attempt Guillotine, Smother, Look To Turn It To Full Mount, and Stand Up (backing off).

The defender would have the following options: Cage Walk, Attempt Guillotine, Attempt To Secure Guard \ Half Guard, Attempt Sweep, Weak Strike Attacks.

Sounds good to me. The more possible positions the better.

Quick Question. When this patch is released, will we have to start a new game to implement the new version, or will it automatically become applicable in games that already exist?

If i remember it right, the patch will prevent any fixed bugs from happening, but if they have already happened, then you will need to restart. Match engine should be updated regardless

- The addition of judo throws from the clinch for fighters with Judo ticked in their background

Are there other moves that only guys of a certain background can use? I havent really noticed it but Judo is a much more distincitive style.

If I'm understanding this correctly, since the grounded fighter's legs are between the attacker's I don't think he could effectively apply a guillotine since he wouldn't have any leverage to exert pressure. Other than that, I like the idea.

Archived