This may be directed more so at those who read my PSW diary (PSW: The Evolution of Greed), however, I have a question as it regards to a TV Deal.

It's pretty much a known fact that PSW is way to small to generate any sort of national coverage on TV. I've been running with my Live Event shows (10 thus far) and have been broadcasting that live via the internet.

I would love to have a TV show with this diary as it would give me more opportunity to push storylines ahead, however, there really isn't a TV network currently in the data set that would allow to give me a show. Therefore, I was thinking of potentially creating a public access station for the Tri-State area... Make it Tiny... etc... And run my shows on public access TV much like you would see with any local company.

1) Would that be smart? i wouldn't really make any money from TV as it's public TV so it may be stupid to have to pay weekly wages?

2) Would it seem like "cheating" to the average reader?

3) Can I have a TV show that also is shown via the internet?

Most small companies can at least have their promotion played on local TV late at night in their coverage area. Hell, even a super small rinky dink company in La Crosse, WI was shown on local public access TV weekly on Friday while it was running. PSW would def. be larger than that.

If it came back that it seemed like a cool idea then I would look to have it all ready sometime in 2009. Not right away, mind you... However, soon enough that it would seem realistic that something had come about.

What do you think?

I have no problem with it, but I want to see what kind of station it is.

If it were to happen it would only be a local Public Access station. Primarily shown in the Tri-State area.

With public access TV it's quite easy to get your programming shown, however, you don't really make any money in return. It's more of the ability to have your product shown to the locals easier. I don't know about other regions but our local access TV has anything from music, small budget TV shows, and product commercials.

I like the idea, in the eary-mid 1990's USWA, Smoky Mountain Wrestling and ECW (before they became huge) ran up here in Rhode Island on a small UHF television station. And in the game world I could see PSW being at or around the size of those promotions at that time.

My question for you is how would you make a public access station in the game? Would you set so that the the station gets all of the profit and you pay all of the expenses? Because that is the only way that you could really sim a public access station in the game world.

Biggest problem is that being a tv show instead of a normal show your gate receipts will be lowered by a bundle. As you are looking into a Tri state only station the only real advantage is a tad more exposure there and exposure if you run outside the tri state. My advice do a weekly webcast and call it a t.v. show or something.

Do a test run one month and see how many people show up if you do 4/5 shows in the tri state. I know I did 4 medium shows in SW and 1 small in tri state with CZCW and I still made a profit and this was non tv. Best is to go for something like that but reversed. If you don't make a profit that month keep working on the Tri State and possibly go 2 a Month.

So no it would not be smart. No I don't consider it as cheating seeing as in RL and in the database (Puerto Rico) there are regional stations. And yes the tv show will also be streamed.

Another problem is the production costs and ad revenue. It's your best financial interest to get the lowest amount of production cost you can get away with, and with the highest ad revenue you can keep. If you taking 100% of the production costs are they taking 100% of the revenue, it's not worth it.

I say No because it feels like cheating. Just keep holding shows in Tri-State and wait for the spill, etc.. Wait like everyone else :p PSW isn't supposed to get a TV -deal until they reach Cult level, and even then it will be for a small station anyway because of the product..

Ps. TV & Cult killed WEXXV.

It really depends what your diary is about. If it's about story and character, tweaking a bit of the data isn't out of the question. If however it's about using your booking skill to take a promotion to greatness, then it's a problem.

I haven't tried it with PSW, but since National Pride TV is a Cult station you should be able to get a deal with them as a Regional company with around 56% in the Tri-States and the Great Lakes, New England, and Mid Atlantic regions around 30%.

Biggest problem is that being a tv show instead of a normal show your gate receipts will be lowered by a bundle. As you are looking into a Tri state only station the only real advantage is a tad more exposure there and exposure if you run outside the tri state. My advice do a weekly webcast and call it a t.v. show or something.

Do a test run one month and see how many people show up if you do 4/5 shows in the tri state. I know I did 4 medium shows in SW and 1 small in tri state with CZCW and I still made a profit and this was non tv. Best is to go for something like that but reversed. If you don't make a profit that month keep working on the Tri State and possibly go 2 a Month.

So no it would not be smart. No I don't consider it as cheating seeing as in RL and in the database (Puerto Rico) there are regional stations. And yes the tv show will also be streamed.

I think I'm going to go with what Hyde says here. Attempt a month in 2009 where I have a weekly live event and say, like I have, that it's shown on the web for people to watch. Then, that way, I can see whether or not I can make a profit with that kind of set-up. If I can... Great. Weekly shows. If not, then I go back to the drawing board.

The TV idea seemed do-able at first, however, It did feel a little like cheating to me. It was never to add popularity or money really... but rather, To give me the ability to have more shows to really flesh out storylines/characters. With one show a month it can be quite hard to really flesh these things out without it seeming like there's major gaps. ya know?

However, with the idea from Hyde... I think I may try this sometime here in the near future.

Thanks everyone who posted. In the end, this is probably the best place to go.

I haven't tried it with PSW, but since National Pride TV is a Cult station you should be able to get a deal with them as a Regional company with around 56% in the Tri-States and the Great Lakes, New England, and Mid Atlantic regions around 30%.

I have no idea how I'm going to pull that off though. ha. I have a 34% population in the Tri-State since starting (10 shows ago) and 5% in a few outling areas. Sadly, I can't seem to really push my popularity much higher even though I've had most of my shows at least 2 grades higher than my original overness levels.

I have no idea how I'm going to pull that off though. ha. I have a 34% population in the Tri-State since starting (10 shows ago) and 5% in a few outling areas. Sadly, I can't seem to really push my popularity much higher even though I've had most of my shows at least 2 grades higher than my original overness levels.

I would start running two shows each month (or three if you can pull it off financially) in the Tri-States. Don't worry about anything else until you hit the 2nd spillover breaking point (41.1%). Once you get there the MA, GL, and NE regions jump to 17.1%. When this happens I would run two shows in the Tri-States and two small one hour shows each month (alternating between the three regions). You will need to be trying to get events in the D range with the small shows. Finally make sure you alternate between running the main shows and the small shows with the TS shows running on the 1st and 3rd and the small shows on the 2nd and 4th. It's a lot easier to manage worker happiness this way.

Of course, the biggest problem for you is going to be getting good grades. I'd try to help you there but I don't play hardcore promotions.

I would start running two shows each month (or three if you can pull it off financially) in the Tri-States. Don't worry about anything else until you hit the 2nd spillover breaking point (41.1%). Once you get there the MA, GL, and NE regions jump to 17.1%. When this happens I would run two shows in the Tri-States and two small one hour shows each month (alternating between the three regions). You will need to be trying to get events in the D range with the small shows. Finally make sure you alternate between running the main shows and the small shows with the TS shows running on the 1st and 3rd and the small shows on the 2nd and 4th. It's a lot easier to manage worker happiness this way.

Of course, the biggest problem for you is going to be getting good grades. I'd try to help you there but I don't play hardcore promotions.

The grades I've pulled haven't always been all that bad... then again, I'll be honest, I tend not to look at the grades as much as trying to enfuse the storylines around it. ya know?

I'll look into that idea. Seems like you know what you're doing. :)

Thanks Foolinc.

The grades I've pulled haven't always been all that bad... then again, I'll be honest, I tend not to look at the grades as much as trying to enfuse the storylines around it. ya know?

I'll look into that idea. Seems like you know what you're doing. :)

Thanks Foolinc.

I totally know what you mean. When I was playing through the NYCW game again I was originally going to start up the diary at the point where I first started to play the game again (Oct 1997). You can even see the intro I wrote for it in the preview thread. So instead of "power playing" I played it normally and there are a good handful of main shows that were as good as they could have been for storyline reasons.

And between playing NEO from 0% pop to the point of the 2nd spillover and playing the NYCW '97 from 25% to being able to get a TV deal, I'm pretty sure I have the optimal strategy for small companies. Of course, I am into venturing the unknown now as I'm never played a Regional company with a TV deal and really haven't played a long term game with a big company. Longest I've gone was a WWF game in DOTT that went on for 6 months in-game time. Should be fun for me.

I say No because it feels like cheating. Just keep holding shows in Tri-State and wait for the spill, etc.. Wait like everyone else :p PSW isn't supposed to get a TV -deal until they reach Cult level, and even then it will be for a small station anyway because of the product..

That would be assuming the C-Verse has a full representation or a wide swath of networks. It does not. Why exactly does Puerto Rico have its own regional station but no other US region does? There are literally three dozen public access stations in the Northeast right now. Plus, as anyone in this part of the country can tell you, from midnight until around 4 or 5 am, there is what's called 'Paid Programming' (infomercials) that people have been known to become famous from (Billy whatsisface that just died is a perfect example. So is Ron whatsisname who owns Ronco). Paying all the production costs with all ad revenue going to the network is exactly what an infomercial is. Paid programming. There are tiny networks in Canada that show BSE and BCW (I think it's BCW. Might be ECCW) shows. CANADA. Tri-State trumps that entire country, I'd say.

That's not to say I think he should do it. That's a personal choice, in my view. But I don't see anything untoward about buying TV time to broadcast your shows. The financial ramifications are strong enough that if it's an ill-conceived idea, you'll know it FAST. After all, one reason the breakpoints are in place (i.e. TV at regional, PPV at Cult) is to ensure you're prepared to take on these things.

I don't see it as cheating, if you can pull it off, then go for it.

You can always cancel the deal if you're leaking money, right?

And you WILL leak money, I'd wager.

I agree with Remianen, but like I said before, the network can't be Mainstream, because Mainstream Networks will not allow Hardcore content, even on Medium. Sports-Specific Network will not accept it either. The only choice is to only go Cult.

The problem is, a Public Access station is probably "Mainstream", and is mostly not Cult.

Archived