Gamefly

GatorBait19

they're just like netflix though they screwed me when i had to cancel they claimed i had a cd from then and i never got a cd from them so hey reported me to their credit beuro but w.e i fixed it and my credit is back to normal... nedless to say the cd got lost in the mail

Happens. Key thing to do is right before you cancel, clear your queue. When they receive your last CD back, they send you that email telling you that they got it and will be shipping the next one that day (or the next day). Only, there is no next one so at the end of your billing cycle, your account closes with no issues.

Had to do this for my niece since we had a lot of overlap and I don't really watch them much at all (I had National Treasure: Book of Secrets since JUNE. Just sent it back Friday). That email is automatically generated when the return is scanned in the system so that's your proof right there.

Gamefly is awesome though. They have everything I want but don't want to pay for (I'm a PC gamer. Can't have people thinking I BUY console games pffft!)

I just shut them down after 2 years, mostly because i'm just not going to have time to play console games as much as i used to.

They are pretty good, my one gripe is that they don't seem to really account for demand well.

example: for the last 2 months, my top 3 were exactly the same. they were 3 very popular games who;s demand was availability was medium or very low. I would say i went through 5-7 games in that time and never got a top 3 game in my que.

This led to me getting games way down in my que, but not giving them as much time because i wanted more shots at the "lottery" on the 3-5 games i really wanted to try.

There is a way to cheat that system, remove all but the 2-3 games you really want from the que, which i have also done, but that leads to having 2-5 day stretches where nothing ships as you lose out on however the decide who of the x amount of people waiting get y copy of said game.

On balance, a good service, you can't beat 16ish bucks a month for two rental slots and going through 2-4 games (for me anyway) that would have been 60 bucks a pop, but often their low inventory of big titles can wear on you.

Thank you guys. I was talking to my friend and he loves it and he said we are lucky because we live in Tampa and there is a distribution center right here in Tampa

Yeah, don't expect the same level of service as NetFlix. With Netflix, I get DVDs the day after they receive the previous ones. But that's because they have a distribution center one borough over (I live in Brooklyn, their distribution center is in Queens. I've actually hand delivered returns a few times). They have a TON of distribution centers across the country whereas Gamefly only has like 6. And yeah, their stock is kind of lacking unless a popular game is 6+ months old (and sometimes, even then).

How are the quality of the games? Do they come in good condition or are they all scratched up like when you rent from Blockbuster?

i never got a scratched up one, they were all pretty good.

The ability to buy and keep a game you like is nice too, i did that once or twice.

Yeah, don't expect the same level of service as NetFlix. With Netflix, I get DVDs the day after they receive the previous ones. But that's because they have a distribution center one borough over (I live in Brooklyn, their distribution center is in Queens. I've actually hand delivered returns a few times). They have a TON of distribution centers across the country whereas Gamefly only has like 6. And yeah, their stock is kind of lacking unless a popular game is 6+ months old (and sometimes, even then).

This was my biggest problem with them and why I dropped them over just renting from the Hollywood Video the next town over. Neither place has a good selection, but at least I'm not waiting a week for my rentals to get here with Hollywood.

I absolutely love Gamefly. The only issue I have with it is, just as mentioned earlier, they dont seem to have enough games to cover the demand for them. I actually wrote to them once about this and they said that they try and balance who gets what on there inventory and who has had what game in there top games for how long. For instance if I had Infamous as my number one game for 3 months and someone comes along and puts it as there number 1 a week ago, when the game finally becomes available to be sent to one of us, I should be the guy to get it. Occasionally a game may have an issue but they always send out a new one the moment you report it as not working. I love how you earn gamfly bucks to put toward buying games. It does take longer to get the games than it does to get a movie from Netflix and I don't know why. Other than that the price is great, they have every game out there, new and old, and its awesome that you can keep them for as long as you want. I usually use gamefly to try out games before I decide to buy them. I have been burnt too many times when I bought a game and I hated it. I highly recommend Gamefly to anyone who loves games.

Archived