How to change the main network for a show?

My deal with MyNetworkTV is running out in 3 shows, and I would like to negotiate with bigger networks to air my show, but MyNetworkTV keeps blocking the negotiations because they don't want the show on rival channels. Will they keep doing that till the very last show (on Week 4, Friday, only Two Days before the negotiation for shows with networks ends)?

Is there any way to smoothly change networks, or do you have to wait untill the deal is over and then wait for three months without any show on the air before you can negotiate with another network? Or is there a way to make the change directly without any time off-air?

My deal with MyNetworkTV is running out in 3 shows, and I would like to negotiate with bigger networks to air my show, but MyNetworkTV keeps blocking the negotiations because they don't want the show on rival channels. Will they keep doing that till the very last show (on Week 4, Friday, only Two Days before the negotiation for shows with networks ends)?

Yes.

Is there any way to smoothly change networks

No.

or do you have to wait untill the deal is over and then wait for three months without any show on the air before you can negotiate with another network?

Yes.

The alternative is to slightly change the name of the show when you put it on a new network. Basically, MyNetworkTV owns that show until your contract with them expires. If you want to put it on another network, you have to either cancel the contract early (and take the prestige hit) or get another show until such time as you can be free of the contract and place the original show somewhere else. S'how it works in reality except there are no 'negotiation windows' so a promotion can negotiate with a network/channel and commit the existing show prior to its contract's expiration (which is how WWE moved - twice!). It's like a syndication bidding deal.

But is it possible miraculously to get into new negotiations after the last show on friday, and get a new contract before monday or does the contract continue untill the last day of the month?

Unfortunately you can't request a meeting with networks in week 4, they'll say it's too close to the start of the new season.

Unfortunately you can't request a meeting with networks in week 4, they'll say it's too close to the start of the new season.

/nod

I'd try to negotiate cancellation of the show in the middle of the month if possible, and then immediately start negotations elsewhere. I've done this a couple times now to move my company to a better network. You'll only miss out on a show or two if you do this, and its only a minor setback in order to get on a better network.

Cancelling from your side won't result in a prestige hit though only if the network cancels on you. Also the trick of renaming the show only works off course if you don't have any foreign contracts as they will remain in place under the original name giving you two shows instead of one.

Cancelling from your side won't result in a prestige hit though only if the network cancels on you. Also the trick of renaming the show only works off course if you don't have any foreign contracts as they will remain in place under the original name giving you two shows instead of one.

You could always give the show the old name when you first use it and THEN change all of them at once.

Not entirely on topic, but if I want to change the time which my show is aired, do I have to wait for my show's contract to expire and renegotiate it at a later date?

I only ask, because I'm playing as WCW in 2000, I'm at a 'Global' level and no one will give me a 'prime time' show. I want to move Nitro from TNT and onto a bigger network, but I don't want to lose my prime time show, and be stuck with a late evening slot or something worse.

Archived