The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

I just read through the past few pages and a few things that stuck out to me:
  • Linsolv is a voice person and the lack of responses after his (revealing) post made me laugh. ;) But seriously, I'm an Orton fan as well. I thought he was the absolute coolest person when he was doing his RNN Reports when he hurt his shoulder in 2002. The Legend Killer gimmick was by far the coolest gimmick WWE had done in the past 10 years.

For the record, it's not like, a "thing." I spent 3 years working really hard at improving my voice, and as a result I have a healthy professional respect for people whose voice impresses me.

It'd be like if you spent years working on a degree in carpentry, then you found out that John Cena is a gifted carpenter. You'd like him even though he might not be that great of a worker.

On the discussion of Killings changing up music, attire, or anything... why the heck should or would he? He's getting an incredible (cheap) reaction from every city WWE goes to. The "what's up?" is so easy that a two year old can catch on. He just picked up a championship and WWE is proving that they don't hold anything against workers who have jumped between WWE and TNA multiple times (like Killings has). Whether or not it's a stereotype is irrelevant. Butts are in the seats at their events and when Truth's music hits... those butts are out of their seats chanting, "WHAT'S UP?!"

He's the very definition of a popular midcarder. I wouldn't change a thing about the guy.

Truth's rapping may not to be everyone's tastes, but there's no doubt about it that he is over. And the thousands who pop when he comes out and 'rap' along with him all buy into it.

C'mon fellas...keep up here.

I just said why there should be a change:

"And if you're going to create some breakout black superstar then the gimmick has to feel authentic and I honestly think that any new black viewers who tune in to WWE who also happen to be fans of hip hop are going to look at Truth and say 'WTF? when did Treach from Naughty By Nature start wrestling?'

And they are going to immediately tune out because the WWE clearly has no frickin clue because R Truth as a rapper (a CURRENT rapper) is phony as hell."

If all you want is a popular face midcarder to work the crowd, awesome.

But since the discussion way back when was about creating a crossover star to appeal to a black audience the E covets, then he can't be your guy. Because he's so off the mark that it's likely to turn people off.

He's not a rapper. He's like some ridiculous approximation of what a hopelessly out of date corporation thinks a rapper should be.

C'mon fellas...keep up here.

I just said why there should be a change:

"And if you're going to create some breakout black superstar then the gimmick has to feel authentic and I honestly think that any new black viewers who tune in to WWE who also happen to be fans of hip hop are going to look at Truth and say 'WTF? when did Treach from Naughty By Nature start wrestling?'

And they are going to immediately tune out because the WWE clearly has no frickin clue because R Truth as a rapper (a CURRENT rapper) is phony as hell."

If all you want is a popular face midcarder to work the crowd, awesome.

But since the discussion way back when was about creating a crossover star to appeal to a black audience the E covets, then he can't be your guy. Because he's so off the mark that it's likely to turn people off.

He's not a rapper. He's like some ridiculous approximation of what a hopelessly out of date corporation thinks a rapper should be.

I didn't say he was a rapper or that's what I want. But it sure as hell is what WWE wants - simple and effective. You guys already discussed why Killings shouldn't be the black star they push to the moon (the consensus was Kofi) because he's 35+ years old. Someone said MVP is a midcarder for life, but I think Truth is a midcarder for life as well. As long as he keeps getting fans to pop and jump out of their seats he's doing the job they're paying him to do.

For the record, it's not like, a "thing." I spent 3 years working really hard at improving my voice, and as a result I have a healthy professional respect for people whose voice impresses me.

It'd be like if you spent years working on a degree in carpentry, then you found out that John Cena is a gifted carpenter. You'd like him even though he might not be that great of a worker.

I didn't say you had a "thing", just a "voice person". It's like someone calling me a "computer person" because I've spent 10+ years doing everything and anything with computers.

On a related note to your Cena example - I absolutely hate Sheamus, but I found out a few months ago that before he became a full-time wrestler he worked as an IT technician. I thought that was cool.

I didn't say he was a rapper or that's what I want. But it sure as hell is what WWE wants - simple and effective. You guys already discussed why Killings shouldn't be the black star they push to the moon (the consensus was Kofi) because he's 35+ years old. Someone said MVP is a midcarder for life, but I think Truth is a midcarder for life as well. As long as he keeps getting fans to pop and jump out of their seats he's doing the job they're paying him to do.

Age is never an issue. It's about how "old" you are in terms of being new to the audience. Batista became a major star well into his 30s.

But you're right. If all they want is a hype man..fine.

I'm disappointed at you. There's a TNA thread for this *tsk tsk*

Unless....INVASION????

I'm criticizing his look. That's my point. He LOOKS dated.

You're a wrestler..you tellin me it's not a fair criticism of a guy who hasn't changed his look since the end of the Attitude Era?

Hey Anderson was being debated here, it was a showing of a recent good promo of his. What should I have done? Posted I have put up a link as evidence of Anderson's so far good promo work in TNA by linking the Sacrifice A hole promo in the TNA thread?:p

Invasion? Hmm TNA has that all the time. All the big names are coming to TNA!! Hogan told me so lolz.

Age is never an issue. It's about how "old" you are in terms of being new to the audience. Batista became a major star well into his 30s.

But you're right. If all they want is a hype man..fine.

At first I didn't really agree with your "age is never an issue" statement because I feel Batista is just one of the few examples of a 30+ year old guy making it in the wrestling business. But then I had to look at it in TEW "terms"... I just signed Rocky Golden away from CGC in 2020 and he's 37 years old. Obviously past his prime and who knows how many "good" years left. I understood what you meant after looking it like that. TEW makes everything so clear sometimes. :o

I just read through the past few pages and a few things that stuck out to me:
  • Linsolv is a voice person and the lack of responses after his (revealing) post made me laugh. ;) But seriously, I'm an Orton fan as well. I thought he was the absolute coolest person when he was doing his RNN Reports when he hurt his shoulder in 2002. The Legend Killer gimmick was by far the coolest gimmick WWE had done in the past 10 years.

On the discussion of Killings changing up music, attire, or anything... why the heck should or would he? He's getting an incredible (cheap) reaction from every city WWE goes to. The "what's up?" is so easy that a two year old can catch on. He just picked up a championship and WWE is proving that they don't hold anything against workers who have jumped between WWE and TNA multiple times (like Killings has). Whether or not it's a stereotype is irrelevant. Butts are in the seats at their events and when Truth's music hits... those butts are out of their seats chanting, "WHAT'S UP?!"

He's the very definition of a popular midcarder. I wouldn't change a thing about the guy.

Once or twice if you count the jump back.

Yeah I agree he's playing a character on television. As far as McMahon changing his character up via music. McMahon is a legendary character and easily one of the top five most recognizable characters of the last 15 years. So him changing something that is identifiable with him is a lot different than R Truth has has been a mid carder at best his entire career.

He was a main eventer and close to main eventer for TNA for quite a while. Point still stands as those where the early days. Just to clarify.

At first I didn't really agree with your "age is never an issue" statement because I feel Batista is just one of the few examples of a 30+ year old guy making it in the wrestling business. But then I had to look at it in TEW "terms"... I just signed Rocky Golden away from CGC in 2020 and he's 37 years old. Obviously past his prime and who knows how many "good" years left. I understood what you meant after looking it like that. TEW makes everything so clear sometimes. :o

How many guys in TEW are still wrestling in their 60's? Not many if at all.

Ric Flair is working the occasional match. Lou Thesz and "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers had their last match in their 70's. Jimmy Valiant officially retired in 2004 after 40 years and passed his name on to a friend of mine. Ivan Koloff retired within the last decade putting him at least near 60 since he is 67 now. And there are a lot of other old timers still working the indies well above the average TEW retirement age.

Ric Flair is working the occasional match. Lou Thesz and "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers had their last match in their 70's. Jimmy Valiant officially retired in 2004 after 40 years and passed his name on to a friend of mine. Ivan Koloff retired within the last decade putting him at least near 60 since he is 67 now. And there are a lot of other old timers still working the indies well above the average TEW retirement age.

That is a big difference, we are not talking indies. In the current wrestling climate and especially the WWE/SWF's low intensity and danger style, as long as you work a reduced schedule and the worker stays fit a worker can be an asset well into their 50's.

Yes, but all of these guys "retired" at some point or another. They're doing these "bonus" matches after they've supposedly called it quits. You can do that in TEW with the handy-dandy editor. In TEW08 I had Marcus McKing set as occasional wrestler at 60 years old and had him do a feud with my top guy at the time (can't remember who). The matches weren't very good by any means, but you can still do it. :)

Yes, but all of these guys "retired" at some point or another. They're doing these "bonus" matches after they've supposedly called it quits. You can do that in TEW with the handy-dandy editor. In TEW08 I had Marcus McKing set as occasional wrestler at 60 years old and had him do a feud with my top guy at the time (can't remember who). The matches weren't very good by any means, but you can still do it. :)

Buddy Rogers retired a few months after his Main Event match in Japan in 1991. He was going to have a comeback match in 1992 but the fed went out of business and he passed away a few months later.

Lou lived till he was 84, but had his last match against Masahiro Chono in 1990 in Japan at age 74 when he became the only man to wrestle at least once in 7 consecutive decades.

Ivan and Jimmy on the other hand did finish up in the indies.

The Boogie Woogie Man passes the torch:

Buddy Rogers retired a few months after his Main Event match in Japan in 1991. He was going to have a comeback match in 1992 but the fed went out of business and he passed away a few months later.

Lou lived till he was 84, but had his last match against Masahiro Chono in 1990 in Japan at age 74 when he became the only man to wrestle at least once in 7 consecutive decades.

Ivan and Jimmy on the other hand did finish up in the indies.

The Boogie Woogie Man passes the torch:

I didn't know any of this to be honest. I really don't have any knowledge of wrestling back in those days besides what I've looked up myself. I was only three years old in 1992. :o

I didn't know any of this to be honest. I really don't have any knowledge of wrestling back in those days besides what I've looked up myself. I was only three years old in 1992. :o

I can take you back to the 70's, brother. I went to my first live event in 1975. I remember Ric Flair when he had brown hair. LOL

He was a main eventer and close to main eventer for TNA for quite a while. Point still stands as those where the early days. Just to clarify.

Yeah I figured when he won the championship and was a "main eventer" the company wasn't even seen on T.V. so I couldn't really count that as a legit main event run of any sorts. But yeah I remember that too, I actually remember him being a heel in Nashville and thinking 'that makes sense'

Do not even need to edit, just change their push on the day and then set it back post match.

You do if they're already retired from the wrestling business and you want to sign them.

I can take you back to the 70's, brother. I went to my first live event in 1975. I remember Ric Flair when he had brown hair. LOL

My knowledge of wrestling truly starts in the 90's. My older brother whose 29 started going to live shows in the 90's and I used to bug the crap out of him: "what happened?", "was it cool?", "who was there?", "did you see anybody you knew?", etc. It got to the point where I was really disappointed when he would go because I knew I was never going to be invited. I didn't understand why he didn't want me going at the time, but years later I realized - who wants their little brother (whose 8 years younger) tagging along with them to "grown up" shows?

I remember Dec. 8, 1997 like it was yesterday because my brother brought me to see the only RAW that ever happened in Maine with a bunch of his high school buddies. It was the first wrestling show I'd ever been to and I was 8 years old. I remember seeing Kane's entrance and almost crapping my pants. He was really scary back when he first debuted... at least to a little kid. :p

You do if they're already retired from the wrestling business and you want to sign them.

My knowledge of wrestling truly starts in the 90's. My older brother whose 29 started going to live shows in the 90's and I used to bug the crap out of him: "what happened?", "was it cool?", "who was there?", "did you see anybody you knew?", etc. It got to the point where I was really disappointed when he would go because I knew I was never going to be invited. I didn't understand why he didn't want me going at the time, but years later I realized - who wants their little brother (whose 8 years younger) tagging along with them to "grown up" shows?

I remember Dec. 8, 1997 like it was yesterday because my brother brought me to see the only RAW that ever happened in Maine with a bunch of his high school buddies. It was the first wrestling show I'd ever been to and I was 8 years old. I remember seeing Kane's entrance and almost crapping my pants. He was really scary back when he first debuted... at least to a little kid. :p

You know when Hulk Hogan went to Japan he had more moves in his arsenal then over here?