The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

While I only watch WWE sparingly, I was curious about something. Someone PLEASE explain to me WHY Randy Orton is a main eventer? What was that slamming his fists on the ground thing last night? First he's this cerebral stalking type guy who moves slowly and calculating around the ring (which he doesn't pull off very well-he looks like he has back and neck issues), the he drops down and throws a sort of intimidation FIT? what is that?

He's an anti-hero who basically turned himself because people were so hot for him after he broke up with Legacy. His pop at WM was one of if not the biggest of the nights.

The fact they managed to turn him face and keep the stuff that fans actually cheered for is both great and surprising (considering how badly they botched his post Evolution turn)

It's good to see I can not watch wwe for 6+ Months and the main even picture hasn't changed (unfortunately) I really wish they'd develop some more young talent and give em a chance. Not this "nexus" thing, whatever that is..a bunch of young thugs??

One last thing..what's up with Jericho? I wish he'd leave, mainly because they given him these terrible gimmicks. Sit in the ring and cry about getting in a match? or he'll quit? GEEZ! Let him be the (oops hit the word filter) confident heel he was when he came in as Y2J and great great promos and bury his competition that way (like he did to the Rock when he did debut).

The rest is stuff that sounds very much like someone who just fell onto planet Earth and started picking up WWE...I can't even begin why Nexus works or what's up with Jericho w/o recapping the last 6 months of storylines.

EDIT: Not a criticism of you, per se, but what can you expect from people on a message board? An essay on how those storylines developed. ;)

This.

Seriously...WWE has ZERO reason to make any risky moves. That's why they run the same match 47 times in a row, that's why their storylines are so predictable,that's why you can watch RAW once a month and be caught up on things...they're totally on cruise control

Ya know, I think this is part of the reason I liked the Sheamus/Morrisson match last night so much. It was such a welcome change of pace from the typical episode of RAW, and gave me a few flashbacks to the wild brawls of the Attitude Era I grew up watching. Morrisson getting tossed off the ramp, flipping in mid-air, and landing on his feet was AWESOME, as was his crossbody off the... whatever you call the screen that's about a third as tall as the titantron. Probably didn't hurt they're a pair of my favorite guys in the modern WWE...

And Melanie, you want them to develop new youngsters, but... not Nexus? The whole point of which is to have a bunch of rookies united to create havoc for the established veterans invasion style? Maybe they are just thugs, but it's still the hottest storyline the WWE have had in probably three years or more, and in the end they WILL have at least one established young star out of it in Wade Barrett, and some of the other guys in it will probably be around for awhile when it's all said and done, too. Gabriel seems firmly established as the number two in Nexus, is an incredible in-ring talent, and currently holds a clean pinfall on John Cena.

Meanwhile, they ARE building more young talent towards the top. In truth, Sheamus, The Miz, John Morrison, Drew McIntyre, and Dolph Ziggler are all relatively young (Sheamus is the oldest at 32) by wrestling standards and, (again by wrestling standards) really haven't been around in the WWE THAT long, and I'd say all of those guys have seen sizeable pushes in the last couple of years.

Yeah, Orton, Cena, HHH, The Undertaker, ect are still at the very top of the card, but they're also proven commodities. As long as they sell tickets and merchandise, there's ZERO reason to move them down. Those guys I listed in the paragraph above haven't proven they can consistently do that yet, and as we've discussed in this thread... why should the WWE take any risks? Why rush to build the company around John Morrison and kick Cena out of the spotlight? You can't rush/poorly book these things. If you do, they'll just pull another Kozlov situation... they had him beat tons of guys at the very bottom of the roster and some local talents, and then they immediately jumped him to the very top. No one (other than me) cared, and it bombed.

By the end of the year, Barrett will be champion. Sheamus was around for, what, less than a year before he had his first reign last year, right? Looks to me like the WWE is building a new main event as quickly as they can without risks.

$3.75 beer specials? Hot damn!

I have to agree with Comrade, whose internet persona has forever been changed now that he's got a photograph and not what's-his-name the European Giant. There's no reason to change the formula. All the youngsters on WWE (Rhodes, DiBiase, Morrison, Miz, Nexus, Ziggler, etc) are getting the kind of pop that in TNA is reserved for main eventers. And I mean that by percentage of the audience, not number-totals.

I have to agree with Comrade, whose internet persona has forever been changed now that he's got a photograph and not what's-his-name the European Giant. There's no reason to change the formula. All the youngsters on WWE (Rhodes, DiBiase, Morrison, Miz, Nexus, Ziggler, etc) are getting the kind of pop that in TNA is reserved for main eventers. And I mean that by percentage of the audience, not number-totals.

Boris Kiraykin. Russia's next leader.

I really hope you're aware the photograph isn't me :o

And Boris may return, but... my current avatar just amuses me so.

Although I agree 100% to what PeterHilton said, I wanted to ask a few questions concerning this post?

While I only watch WWE sparingly, I was curious about something. Someone PLEASE explain to me WHY Randy Orton is a main eventer?

1. He generates more heat then any other heel... in fact he generates chants, cheers and everything else you would want a Main Event person to do... to an extreme. RKO chant last night for example. What would you desire in a Main Eventer?

What was that slamming his fists on the ground thing last night? First he's this cerebral stalking type guy who moves slowly and calculating around the ring (which he doesn't pull off very well-he looks like he has back and neck issues), the he drops down and throws a sort of intimidation FIT? what is that?

He does what he does, somehow it works. I am like other's thinking he needs a different thing for what he's doing, but I guess the shake your head like a wildman would be too easily compared to Stone Cold, so he does the snake thing instead (viper, etc.). How would you have him act?

It's good to see I can not watch wwe for 6+ Months and the main even picture hasn't changed (unfortunately) I really wish they'd develop some more young talent and give em a chance. Not this "nexus" thing, whatever that is..a bunch of young thugs??

Difference's.... Kane, John Morrison, Shaemus, The All American American, and the leader of Nexus for just a couple I've noticed. Kane I always knew could step up for it whenever they needed him, Morrison I'm happily surprised with. Far as developing more young talent, I don't know anyone that is doing more with young talent?

Now if you mean hire them, make them world champion within' a month of their arrival, sorry... I can't see them ever being that ignorant.

One last thing..what's up with Jericho? I wish he'd leave, mainly because they given him these terrible gimmicks. Sit in the ring and cry about getting in a match? or he'll quit? GEEZ! Let him be the (oops hit the word filter) confident heel he was when he came in as Y2J and great great promos and bury his competition that way (like he did to the Rock when he did debut).

I keep thinking he's about ready to take another break, but at the same time I feel like he would go out as a good guy, but probably not as usefull to the WWE that way. Jericho has made more people stars while being a heel, then anyone else I can think of. I don't mean just moving people on to the Main Event, but making people remember the other persons name with promo's and such as well. Unbelievably one of the best I have ever seen as far as things like that are concerned.

I don't remember him ever being as good as he is right now. Perhaps because he's older and feels he aleady had his "great" years, and is just trying to help other's make a few of their own. If this IS the case, and I can't help thinking it is, then I'm just going down saying my hat is off to Chris Jericho, and I'm officially always going to be a Jericho fan because of this. Funny, how I never liked him before, yet now I think the world of him when other's are putting him down.

Update on WWE NXT on SyFy

Source: PWTorch.com

WWE's NXT TV series is now down to three remaining episodes on Syfy. NXT was scheduled to lead into the premiere of Smackdown on Syfy on October 1, but the program has been changed.

Instead, Syfy is advertising a "Countdown to Smackdown" one-hour special that will air at 7:00 p.m. EST leading into Smackdown's live premiere at 8:00 p.m. EST.

The three remaining NXT episodes on Syfy are tonight, on Sept. 21, and on Sept. 28. WWE has not announced yet where the remaining portion of Season 3 will air, but it likely will be on WWE's website barring another TV channel picking up the series.

Related to NXT in Canada, The Score will continue to air NXT after Syfy drops the series in the U.S. NXT is currently listed on The Score's schedule for Oct. 6 and 13. (Thanks to Devin Cutting.)

I really hope you're aware the photograph isn't me :o

And Boris may return, but... my current avatar just amuses me so.

That's Bruce Campbell? Huh. Guess I don't recognize him without seeing his hair or something.

Didn't really figure it was you, but for some reason some people I just REALLY associate with their images. Remi changed his avatar, and he hasn't been the same since. On the other hand, Johnny Fenoli changes his frequently and he's pretty much the same every time.

While I only watch WWE sparingly, I was curious about something. Someone PLEASE explain to me WHY Randy Orton is a main eventer? What was that slamming his fists on the ground thing last night? First he's this cerebral stalking type guy who moves slowly and calculating around the ring (which he doesn't pull off very well-he looks like he has back and neck issues), the he drops down and throws a sort of intimidation FIT? what is that?

Orton looks like he's mentally retarded when he does this crap. I'm not trying to be offensive, he just comes across as handicap to me.

Casual fans still eat it up...which matters. Majority rules. Orton only doing what's unique to him the same way Hogan does it when he hulks up. Not everyone can be satisfied. If everyone was dissatisfied, I bet he changes up his routine. John Cena gets 1/4 of the crowd to go against him but it doesn't stop him from doing his trademark taunts and five moves of doom. That's why John Cena is featured because those 1/4, more like 1/6 to 1/8 aren't the majority. You probably get those folks at those ECW shows and you see why Paul Heyman couldn't make a buck off them.

Casual fans still eat it up...which matters. Majority rules. Orton only doing what's unique to him the same way Hogan does it when he hulks up. Not everyone can be satisfied. If everyone was dissatisfied, I bet he changes up his routine. John Cena gets 1/4 of the crowd to go against him but it doesn't stop him from doing his trademark taunts and five moves of doom. That's why John Cena is featured because those 1/4, more like 1/6 to 1/8 aren't the majority. You probably get those folks at those ECW shows and you see why Paul Heyman couldn't make a buck off them.

I know majority rules, but it gets kind of annoying when you hear "omg how can you not like Randy Orton?!?!" a thousand times. He looks stupid to me when he does that crap and he's just as boring in the ring as Cena to me.

But he was making a buck off them. The problem was he was expanding to quickly and spending more money then he was making in order to do so.

ROH is doing it right. They don't go above their means. Obviously they learned that from Paul Heyman. But they aren't like ballin' in terms of market share or anything. They are making business and continuing despite losing talent to the WWE and TNA throughout the years. They are what they thought they were.

Heyman may have made a buck off of them. But if you make your product to influence them (1/4, 1/8 of the typical WWE crowd that hate John Cena), is it worth it. Is it worth it for the WWE to get John Cena off TV to satisfy those who chant "He can't wrestle" or "Cena Sucks"? Maybe we should take Cena off...we'll hide his flaws (his appearance) just to appease them. That's pay dirt. Money maker. "Cena Wins We'll Riot" mentality.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="PeterHilton" data-cite="PeterHilton" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>He's an anti-hero who basically turned himself because people were so hot for him after he broke up with Legacy. His pop at WM was one of if not the biggest of the nights. <p> </p><p> The fact they managed to turn him face and keep the stuff that fans actually cheered for is both great and surprising (considering how badly they botched his post Evolution turn)</p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think it was sort of botch in-itself, at least early on. They weren't sure whether to turn Cody Rhodes, Ted Dibiase, or Randy Orton, or combination of two out of the three. </p><p> </p><p> There were points where Cody was getting crazy cheers, and even for Ted Dibiase Jr., no less. But they waited too long, and their storyline wasn't going anywhere. They chose to go the safe route and turn Randy Orton. I doubt they expected that BIG of a reaction, even though it had been brewing since his "I'm crazy!!!" days. They ran with it, instead of changing of his gimmick and/or character. And they kept his momentum up despite his losses.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Comradebot" data-cite="Comradebot" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Okay...<p> </p><p> Am I the only one who thought the Sheamus/Morrisson falls count anywhere match was pretty fantastic?</p><p> </p><p> Has to be one of the better matches the WWE has put on live TV in a while, particularly for a non-main event. I think the only thing that took away from it was the interference ending... but given the rules and the storyline, I wasn't shocked and kinda expected it.</p><p> </p><p> Loved Sheamus's reaction when he missed the kick and took out that chunk of equipment instead.</p></div></blockquote><p> It was a good match, probably better than most of WWE's recent matches. I have to say, the Orton/Cena match wasn't bad as well. </p><p> </p><p> What surprised me, though, was they let Orton win. Did he win clean? I wouldn't say so. But they let him win over Cena. I think it's their way of staunching the bleeding in the 18-29 market.</p>

<p>I really don't think Cena is the reason for their bleeding of the 18-24 market, in fact I haven't seen anything that claims they are bleeding in that department. Just because thats not their current focused demographic doesn't mean those guys are turning away in droves, or that their bleeding fans from that area. </p><p> </p><p>

I would agree that I thought they would go the Ted Jr. face turn and main event push and maybe they were going to go that route but the fans clearly wanted Randy as a face (I'm not sure why the guy is boring and bland to me). However there is no denying he gets a reaction and kudos for them for going with it. </p><p> </p><p>

I would have liked to have seen Ted take on a bigger role than just being the Million Dollar Man v 2.0</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="PeterHilton" data-cite="PeterHilton" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Monty looks his age. Unfortunately.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Neh just needs to get rid of the grey with some colour. Still looks in shape which is most important if he is ever to return. Hoyte + Brown though. TNA!</p><p> </p><p> And yes they are not a threat to WWE (yet) and the reasons are multiple including some out of their own control.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Linsolv" data-cite="Linsolv" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>$3.75 beer specials? Hot damn!<p> </p><p> I have to agree with Comrade, whose internet persona has forever been changed now that he's got a photograph and not what's-his-name the European Giant. There's no reason to change the formula. All the youngsters on WWE (Rhodes, DiBiase, Morrison, Miz, Nexus, Ziggler, etc) are getting the kind of pop that in TNA is reserved for main eventers. And I mean that by percentage of the audience, not number-totals.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Not true as the Impact zone is not much to rely on and the higher smark percentage at TNA shows. All these WWE youngsters so to speak are just getting a push because WWE booked themselves in a bind with NXT and because they lost Tista, Shawn and partly lost HHH and Taker who will leave soon.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I know majority rules, but it gets kind of annoying when you hear "omg how can you not like Randy Orton?!?!" a thousand times. He looks stupid to me when he does that crap and he's just as boring in the ring as Cena to me.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well Orton was also the IWC fave E heel for a while which has now cooled of and moved on to Miz. Who in my view has not gotten much better but just more accepted and the writers have given him better lines.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Stennick" data-cite="Stennick" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I really don't think Cena is the reason for their bleeding of the 18-24 market, in fact I haven't seen anything that claims they are bleeding in that department. Just because thats not their current focused demographic doesn't mean those guys are turning away in droves, or that their bleeding fans from that area. <p> </p><p> I would agree that I thought they would go the Ted Jr. face turn and main event push and maybe they were going to go that route but the fans clearly wanted Randy as a face (I'm not sure why the guy is boring and bland to me). However there is no denying he gets a reaction and kudos for them for going with it. </p><p> </p><p> I would have liked to have seen Ted take on a bigger role than just being the Million Dollar Man v 2.0</p></div></blockquote><p> Actually, it wasn't quite clear at that point. Orton wasn't getting much of a reaction at this point, mostly due to bad booking. But they had nothing more for him as a heel. They played everything out.</p><p> </p><p> And two, I never said Cena was the problem they are bleeding that market. He is the symptom, though. It is what it is now. They ARE bleeding that market, though. That's clear enough.</p>