The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

Great promo, but I honestly don't think its even the best of Punk's career, let alone the best ever.

Considering what he said and how it played out, it is easily in my top 5 of all time. Punk always delivers gold on the mic and his work on the indies proves that as much as his tenure in WWE.

What made this promo so great to me personally was that it blurred the line so well that for a moment I thought he was shooting. That's what wrestling is supposed to do. It is supposed to allow me to suspend my disbelief and that promo did it. The only thing that came close to that from recent memory was when I thought Santino was going to win the 2011 Royal Rumble.

I rarely get into WWE or wrestling as a whole for that matter to the extent I did during that promo. Well done Punk, that was phenomenal.

Great promo, but I honestly don't think its even the best of Punk's career, let alone the best ever.

Well In WWE, they don't let people do that. When was the last time the internet BLEW up after someone promo. When something happened in WWE its ALWAYS 50/50, some people like it some don't. EVERYONE came on here (and other websites) and loved it. 100%. He said stuff the fans were thinking. He said stuff fans (and WWE employee) thought would never be said, and said it with out ease. To me that makes it one of the best promo ever.

His Facebook page too. It's pretty funny how it's all going, especially with people like Maryse, Josh Matthews, Grisham, JR and Austin praising the promo on Twitter.

Edit: He single-handedly got ROH trending on Twitter. Now how many people can do that :p

that would be great if CM Punk singlehandedly gets ROH tv coverage. Would love to see more wrestling on TV, especially the ones with the small cult followings that don't get the TV that WWE/TNA get. Sure, we can all dream =/

Well In WWE, they don't let people do that. When was the last time the internet BLEW up after someone promo. When something happened in WWE its ALWAYS 50/50, some people like it some don't. EVERYONE came on here (and other websites) and loved it. 100%. He said stuff the fans were thinking. He said stuff fans (and WWE employee) thought would never be said, and said it with out ease. To me that makes it one of the best promo ever.

WWE pretty much never allows that. And again, I don't disagree that it was a great promo or that it was awesome to hear him say stuff we all wish we could say. Saying stuff that a lot of fans wish they could, having the IWC react in a positive manner... those things don't really affect whether I think a promo is great. The shoot-work promo by Joey Styles garnered a similar reaction, from what I know. I look at factors like intensity, "realism" and delivery when I measure how "good" a promo was. And like London, does it allow me to suspend disbelief and simply enjoy?

I would still put Punk's "this is Straight Edge" promo from ROH above it.

Punk wouldn't have a 90 day no compete clause in his contract since it expired. That only happens if someone is released or asks for their release.

your right, my mistake Jay.

Although that makes me even more certain an agreement is in place. why give him this push and TV time on the way out if he's not going to resign?

WWE pretty much never allows that. And again, I don't disagree that it was a great promo or that it was awesome to hear him say stuff we all wish we could say. Saying stuff that a lot of fans wish they could, having the IWC react in a positive manner... those things don't really affect whether I think a promo is great. The shoot-work promo by Joey Styles garnered a similar reaction, from what I know. I look at factors like intensity, "realism" and delivery when I measure how "good" a promo was. And like London, does it allow me to suspend disbelief and simply enjoy?

I would still put Punk's "this is Straight Edge" promo from ROH above it.

Well I hasn't seen 99% of his ROH promos. I agree intensity, "realism" and delivery make a great promo and I think all the extra stuff is bonus. I also feel that those 3 things he knocked out of the park.

Well I hasn't seen 99% of his ROH promos. I agree intensity, "realism" and delivery make a great promo and I think all the extra stuff is bonus. I also feel that those 3 things he knocked out of the park.

I highly recommend checking out some of his ROH work. Both matches and promos. You can see what Punk can really do without the WWE restraints.

your right, my mistake Jay.

Although that makes me even more certain an agreement is in place. why give him this push and TV time on the way out if he's not going to resign?

The knowledge that when Punk has taken enough time off to where he feels ready to get back into wrestling, he's going to want to do with WWE because it's the only game in town where Punk can make serious money.

I'm probably going to take some heat for this but...

I like Cole's commentary. Sometimes it can get obnoxious, but a lot of the time I truly do find it entertaining and smart, such as when Punk walked out on his match with Kane. Cole's commentary during that was spot on.

"This is true. This is real. THIS IS STRAIGHTEDGE!"

Man, that was fantastic.

Yup. Still probably my single favorite promo ever. Obviously the impact wasn't as big as something like Stone Cold's Austin 316 promo but the instensity that Punk had in that ROH promo was just so genuine.

CM Punk perhaps had his 3:16 moment. Really hooked on the MitB PPV because of Cena - Punk and MitB -ladder matches which I love. Best PPV of the year coming up? I also like the huge array of different outcomes for the match especially considering that we get two new MitB briefcases at the PPV.

One thing that few people haven't mentioned about CM Punk's promo was the fact that he used the term 'wrestler' in it which is been forbidden for years and years. Loved the promo and I also like all the comments from fellow wrestlers on twitter. I'm hyped.

It was a cracking promo but part of the charm was the fact he went outside the box and basically broke kayfabe. He attacked people we all hate. He said what we were thinking.

I can't help but feel with all 'best promo ever' talk people are confused as to why they liked it. They marked for breaking the fourth wall. It was well delivered as everything with Punk is, but nothing he's ever done has caused this much of a stir and it's the fourth wall breaking that did it.

I like Cole's commentary. Sometimes it can get obnoxious, but a lot of the time I truly do find it entertaining and smart, such as when Punk walked out on his match with Kane. Cole's commentary during that was spot on.

I completely agree, when he was an actual storyline character it was crap, but his commentating different and picking out the mistakes of the others (sinc lets face it they are hopeless :p) is funny, he is often right, rather than the others who just say heel are bad, I like faces!

As for the promo yeah amazing one of my favourites (granted I haven't seen the This Is Straight Edge (Where can I find it?) but I enjoyed it a lot!) I hope that this was all written/ devised by Punk after they gave him a little brief and then looked over by whoever. Makes it a lot better if he came up with the content, which I reckon he did.

Also, the Colt Cabana shout out was awesome as was the best bit IMO about The Rock headlining Wrestlemania and him not making him SICK THAT WAS AMAZING!

This Is Straight Edge (Where can I find it?)

http://www.gamespot.com/users/sephy37/video_player?id=dXMxlmD-5bkEszfb

I hasn't seen it before either, it was good. But I put his WWE and ROH stuff on different levels, you can get away with more stuff in ROH and you can say wrestler, etc etc. I still think last night was great, I would say (don't think I'm wrong either but saying it) one of his best in WWE.

Guest codey

This reminds me of something that just irritates me for no reason. In a regular match without a countout finish, the ref counts a slow, normal count. But in matches like that where guys intentionally get counted out, the ref counts fast as ****. I understand why it's done (no one wants to sit through a slow count when they know the outcome) but it's just one of those pro wrestling tropes that annoys me.