The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TLCJR4LIFE" data-cite="TLCJR4LIFE" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That La Mistica into Labell Lock was nuts.<p> </p><p> Also kind of suspicious that attention whore phil hasn't been running his mouth yet. It's very likely this is a work.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I agree. Punk usually is very vocal on Twitter but so far I havent heard about him saying anything about the WWE and his walk out, which is very odd considering the type of person he usually shows that he is in terms of vocalness.</p><p> </p><p> It's probably a work, I still wont believe otherwise unless he says something.</p>

You two realize he's still under contract until July right? Punk is technically breaching his contract right now by not working, if he comes out and says anything he'll most likely make it worse if WWE decides to take him to court over the situation instead of just granting him his release.

Plus I think being burnt out and keeping to one's self kind of go hand in had, no matter how vocal you are. Punk needs as much as an effective LOA from anything wrestling related to be able to recharge and rekindle his old passionate self. Being away from social media would certainly help.

<p>Yeah, I imagine the last thing he would want right now would be for every single tweet he makes to be completely swamped with replies along the lines of 'OMFG WUT HAPPEN?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'</p><p> </p><p>

Like just about everything else in this situation, there's solid arguments to be made for it being genuine or for it being part of the work.</p><p> </p><p>

Plus, he's a passionate guy, but he also seems to be a fairly astute one when it comes to negotiations, and it wouldn't be a smart move to burn all your bridges with the only show in town, particularly if it seems there's a chance they might give you what you want in order to get you to come back.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You two realize he's still under contract until July right? Punk is technically breaching his contract right now by not working, if he comes out and says anything he'll most likely make it worse if WWE decides to take him to court over the situation instead of just granting him his release.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Technically, I don't think CM Punk is breaching his contract just by not appearing at shows. Since all wrestlers are independent contractors who somehow all know to show up at the right arena, and not employees, the only way Punk is in breach is if his contract has a specified number of dates that he won't hit by July or similar clauses. Otherwise, he's just a contractor who isn't picking up any hours. Now, if he signed with another wrestling promotion, he might be in breach, but even then, WWE's contract language has to be specific because by nature an independent contractor should be able to work.</p><p> </p><p> But even if Punk technically was in breach, there's no way WWE would bring it into court, considering how hard they've worked to maintain the legal fiction that their wrestlers aren't employees.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You two realize he's still under contract until July right? Punk is technically breaching his contract right now by not working, if he comes out and says anything he'll most likely make it worse if WWE decides to take him to court over the situation instead of just granting him his release.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Not being sarcastic when I say this, but I didnt know/dont think that just saying that you walked out or that you're taking a break would do anything to hurt him. I dont think the WWE's that uppity that they'd even sue him if he did, either.</p><p> </p><p> Like another person said, when you add in the Independent Contractor thing that WWE's made a living drilling into everybodys mind, I dont think theres anything illegal about Punk speaking out about his walk out to a certain degree (he cant be a Zack Ryder and constantly whine about them id assume, but one or two tweets just giving his diehards a notice of where hes at right now)</p><p> </p><p> I am impressed by how Punk is handling everything if this is real. To me he came across as somebody who tries a little too hard to be a contrarian and a bit of a crybaby over his about to quit the WWE over Miz MEing WM 27.</p>

Yeah are you kidding me? Vince would love to sue Punk's ass off, maybe win and take back a little bit of that money he's paid him over the years. None of us are qualified to even begin to speculate how his contract or any of their contracts are set up however they are clearly not regular independent contractors.

Most of the time the entire point of being independent contractor is so that you're free to take whatever work you want when you want but thats not the case in the WWE. Punk can't just walk away and show up in TNA or even PWG or the NWA for that matter. So their contracts are set up in a way thats absolutely stunning that they get away with not having to consider them actual employees.

Anyway Punk is gone, the show is better off for it and I'm able to enjoy the show just a slight bit more with him sitting at home in Chicago.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="petecrimson00" data-cite="petecrimson00" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>good god can they try to hype Batista any more? Not digging it, wont dig it. In a period where the WWE is trying to evolve a 45 year old who wasn't anyting more than a body when he was in his prime, WHY in a period with so much talent oozing in the WWE ready for the future, is THIS who they pick to main event?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Guardians Of The Galaxy.</p><p> </p><p> The belt is now nothing more than a prop for movie hype interviews for a little publicity. Someone should sneak Bryan into Avengers 2. Then he'll win the belt.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Arrows" data-cite="Arrows" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Guardians Of The Galaxy.<p> </p><p> The belt is now nothing more than a prop for movie hype interviews for a little publicity. Someone should sneak Bryan into Avengers 2. Then he'll win the belt.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> if they can't see Bryan is more over than this guy they are BLIND.</p><p> </p><p> on a seperate note, this divas match is absolutely botchtastic. Really wonder why they let some of these girls anywhere near a ring, someone is gonna end up with a broken neck or paralyzed.. why is this division even still there? they don't take it seriously, half the girls can't work, and its still only eye candy despite the PG product..</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Arrows" data-cite="Arrows" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Guardians Of The Galaxy.<p> </p><p> The belt is now nothing more than a prop for movie hype interviews for a little publicity. Someone should sneak Bryan into Avengers 2. Then he'll win the belt.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> And this is why I hate the WWE these days.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="foolinc" data-cite="foolinc" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You guys realize that WWE is booking Daniel Bryan like NWA Dusty Rhodes right?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> yes. doesn't mean it isn't frustrating as hell</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Stennick" data-cite="Stennick" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah are you kidding me? Vince would love to sue Punk's ass off, maybe win and take back a little bit of that money he's paid him over the years. None of us are qualified to even begin to speculate how his contract or any of their contracts are set up however they are clearly not regular independent contractors.<p> </p><p> Most of the time the entire point of being independent contractor is so that you're free to take whatever work you want when you want but thats not the case in the WWE. Punk can't just walk away and show up in TNA or even PWG or the NWA for that matter. So their contracts are set up in a way thats absolutely stunning that they get away with not having to consider them actual employees. </p><p> </p><p> Anyway Punk is gone, the show is better off for it and I'm able to enjoy the show just a slight bit more with him sitting at home in Chicago.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I am qualified to speculate, at least. I read the brief Raven and co.'s lawyers filed in their lawsuit against WWE that was dismissed because of standing issues. I also saw how WWE quietly settled the Brock Lesnar lawsuit before a judge made any ruling. Vince might "love" to sue (although I doubt it, the WWE has always been pretty slow to go to court, mostly because they can't control the outcome, and it's kind of a money pit when you're a big corporation), but like I said, it's doubtful whether he has a case. The way the law is now, wrestlers are independent contractors, which means that they have autonomy as to where, when, and how they wrestle matches for WWE. Obviously that is not true in reality, but just going home might not be a "breach of contract" the way it would if you're an employee. And the last thing Vince would need is somebody countersuing him for all the health insurance and tax savings WWE has made by not providing it to their wrestlers. </p><p> </p><p> And I'm not sure why Vince would even want even more of Punk's money (the money he already earned? How is he getting that in a breach of contract suit? Maybe they could find some way to pretend it's a tort?)? Wrestlers get a smaller cut of the gross than any athlete or actor outside of dinner theater. If a program with Punk could make Vince money in 6 months, do you really think he'd be too mad at Punk to bring him back in? I mean Austin went home, Christian jumped to TNA, Jesse Ventura sued Vince (and won) for royalties, Brock quit, then looked like he was going to re-sign, then WWE sued him, and all of them came back to WWE when there was money to be made.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="petecrimson00" data-cite="petecrimson00" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>They shoulda just gave the belt to Cena tonight.. not like we don't all see it coming.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> If anything, I'm seeing the belt go to Batista, then to Bryan at SummerSlam.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Arrows" data-cite="Arrows" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If anything, I'm seeing the belt go to Batista, then to Bryan at SummerSlam.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> If I was coming into the WWE creative team after the Royal Rumble, that'd be exactly how I'd play it.</p><p> </p><p> Do my very best to keep Batista as a face until Mania, get the match with Orton out of the way, then turn him heel and give him a run with Bryan - Batista is a much better heel, and he's good enough to use the natural heat he already has and turn that up a notch. As for Bryan, he could adopt a 'naked Mideon' style gimmick and still be massively over right now. It'd also be a nice natural conclusion to the whole arc - Bryan winning the belt from the guy who 'stole' his opportunity in the first place.</p><p> </p><p> Orton-Bryan has been done too much recently for me to be excited about that match - I honestly don't know what they're going to do with Orton post-mania, because he's utterly stalled right now - the character has been so inconsistently written and booked, we don't know whether he's playing his 'viper' role, the 'corporate champion' role, or the 'snivelling, cowardly champion' role, and it's impossible to invest any kind of emotional reaction in him, and for once, it's not entirely his fault.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Target Practice" data-cite="Target Practice" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If I was coming into the WWE creative team after the Royal Rumble, that'd be exactly how I'd play it.<p> </p><p> Do my very best to keep Batista as a face until Mania, get the match with Orton out of the way, then turn him heel and give him a run with Bryan - Batista is a much better heel, and he's good enough to use the natural heat he already has and turn that up a notch. As for Bryan, he could adopt a 'naked Mideon' style gimmick and still be massively over right now. It'd also be a nice natural conclusion to the whole arc - Bryan winning the belt from the guy who 'stole' his opportunity in the first place.</p><p> </p><p> Orton-Bryan has been done too much recently for me to be excited about that match - I honestly don't know what they're going to do with Orton post-mania, because he's utterly stalled right now - the character has been so inconsistently written and booked, we don't know whether he's playing his 'viper' role, the 'corporate champion' role, or the 'snivelling, cowardly champion' role, and it's impossible to invest any kind of emotional reaction in him, and for once, it's not entirely his fault.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't see Batista turning heel until, at the very least, mid August. Once Guardians is out of the way, they're free to do whatever they want again.</p><p> </p><p> Actually had a fun conversation with a friend the other night about what to do with Orton, Trips, Kane after Mania. Not gonna mention it because there's ZERO chance it happens in any universe, but yeah. They'll probably just disband the group randomly and try to pretend it never happened by June.</p>

<p>Yeah, that's my only concern - whether they're going to keep him face for the sake of promoting the film. From a strictly wrestling point of view, turning him would be a no-brainer, (he's already got more heat than Orton!) but that movie appearance complicates things.</p><p> </p><p>

Agreed that it'll be interesting to see where it all goes from here. I would imagine the CM Punk situation will factor in there somewhere as well - if he comes back (or if this has all been one giant work), that's going to change the whole picture rather dramatically.</p>

<p>The reason I say Cena will win, is he is in the Elimination Chamber and they are killing all Orton's credibility with losses to everyone it seems..</p><p> </p><p>

In a perfect world I'd love to see Bryan and go on to defend against Batista in the WM main event. I mean Bryan can carry about anyone to a classic.</p><p> </p><p>

Imagine Cena vs Batista.. no truly exciting anything</p><p> </p><p>

Imagine Orton vs Batista.. No truly exciting anything.</p><p> </p><p>

Imagine Bryan vs Batista, the ultimate underdog spots with Bryan using his speed against the power of Batista and it'd make for a great story.. which the WWE is lacking right now IMO. Especially considering their trying to gain prestige to a NEW single Heavyweight title.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Target Practice" data-cite="Target Practice" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If I was coming into the WWE creative team after the Royal Rumble, that'd be exactly how I'd play it.<p> </p><p> Do my very best to keep Batista as a face until Mania, get the match with Orton out of the way, then turn him heel and give him a run with Bryan - Batista is a much better heel, and he's good enough to use the natural heat he already has and turn that up a notch. As for Bryan, he could adopt a 'naked Mideon' style gimmick and still be massively over right now. It'd also be a nice natural conclusion to the whole arc - Bryan winning the belt from the guy who 'stole' his opportunity in the first place.</p><p> </p><p> Orton-Bryan has been done too much recently for me to be excited about that match - I honestly don't know what they're going to do with Orton post-mania, because he's utterly stalled right now - the character has been so inconsistently written and booked, we don't know whether he's playing his 'viper' role, the 'corporate champion' role, or the 'snivelling, cowardly champion' role, and it's impossible to invest any kind of emotional reaction in him, and for once, it's not entirely his fault.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> So you want Batista to win at Mania only to drop the title to Bryan? For me personally whoever wins the title at Mania shouldn't then drop the title in their first program after Mania. At this point I'm not real sure what to do with Bryan. Batista is winning the title and he'll get fed a rematch at ER and then from there go into a squash program of sometime setting up his big media blitz from Guardians. Ideally while all that is going on is when you pull the trigger on him losing. If you truly want to maximise your product you put eyes on not only Batista but whoever he's in a program with.</p>

<p>You know it's funny you mention the prestige of the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. I was thinking after last night's raw abotu what a weakling Orton's been booked as. I know heel champs often cheat to win but this guy has been on either on his ass or running away for months now lol.</p><p> </p><p>

I mean I know they want us to hate Orton, and at that I think the booking is effective, but man has he looked like crap since the unification!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="bigtplaystew" data-cite="bigtplaystew" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You know it's funny you mention the prestige of the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. I was thinking after last night's raw abotu what a weakling Orton's been booked as. I know heel champs often cheat to win but this guy has been on either on his ass or running away for months now lol.<p> </p><p> I mean I know they want us to hate Orton, and at that I think the booking is effective, but man has he looked like crap since the unification!</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> and in turn it's making the title look like crap IMO</p><p> </p><p> If you had no plans shoulda just gave it to Cena, and from me thats saying something, cuz I hate Cena. They jacked up the first "Undisputed" title, figured they'd have learned.. NOPE</p>