The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

<p>I quite enjoyed the show myself. I've heard more than a few folks criticize it for being a glorified house show, but that's kinda my kinda thing. I love a show that's pretty much all wrestling, with the jabber-jabber kept to a minimum. I'm watching those WWE Old Schools on the Network all the time, and those are pretty much house shows. The two matches I was looking forward to the most - Buddy Murphy vs. Cedric Alexander and Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles - really came through for me, and the Shield six man, as well as the New Day tag match weren't bad either. I was happy to see Buddy win the Cruiserweight title, and get some pretty good pops for it in his hometown.</p><p> </p><p>

I thought the Charlotte/Becky Lynch match was solid, just not so sure about the finish. Not a big fan of the Bellas, and I'm not altogether sure on Rousey at the moment, so that one didn't do all that much for me.</p><p> </p><p>

I liked.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Rayelek" data-cite="Rayelek" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Am I the only one who thought Super Showdown was terrible? Sure some of the wrestling was good, but from a story perspective, literally every face or hometown hero won their match, which basically just made it feel like a glorified house show. Which is a lot like how Beast in the East and Greatest Royal Rumble felt. I'm really starting to get annoyed with how WWE books these big foreign events to be some big deal and then throws mediocre product on 'em.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's the point. These events are designed to generate global interest and potentially big revenue streams. It's working well for the WWE. I thought the booking for the matches was pretty good considering. The problem is that they didn't plan far enough ahead so they have too many events crammed together in a short space of time.</p>

Enjoyed the NXT 3-way, and I like Ricochet......but hated the way they jobbed the UK Champion to a secondary champion. The Face of Brand shouldn't be losing to a second-tier champ from another brand. Especially with the new brand just starting their own shows. They should have let Adam Cole take the pin.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>NXT main event was great. So was the Dream/Ciampa/Nikki segment.<p> </p><p> Mae Young Classic had 4 good matches. Deonna vs Xia and Yim vs Kaitlyn were my favorites this week.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I do not have the network so I only saw the very first show of the first round. However, I went over my buddy's house tonight and we watched it and I have to say it was a great show.</p><p> </p><p> Deonna is simply amazing in the ring, I think both her and Tegan Nox are going to be future stars. </p><p> </p><p> I did not even recognize Kaitlyn when I saw her. She looks even more attractive than she did before. Really enjoyed her match with Mia Yim, maybe it was because they were the only two on the show who I have watched before. I mean I have heard of Deonna Purrazzo before but I never actually saw her wrestle prior to this show.</p>

Agreed, she has improved a lot from last year and I already thought she had the potential to go far. If she manages to stay injury free she could become a big name.

Speaking of which, Deonna Purazzo should definitely get signed and sent straight to the main roster, she's been killing it so far and looks ready to go already. I also think they should sign Aerial Monroe who lost in the first round... she looked great in her showing and should definitely be up there. And if they can get a hold of Mercedes Martinez for the main roster too, she's been fantastic in both years and looks like a natural heel, which is always good too. :)

Is Xia Li the one running the kung fu gimmick? She was prettt neat. I’m a few episodes behind on MYC. Hopefully I’ll be caught up after tomorrow.

I’d love for Mercedes to get signed. I’ve enjoyed her for years via SHIMMER.

I still wish Cheerleader Melissa would get a chance. I don’t understand how she hasn’t been offered a deal yet.

Women's wrestling is by no means my area of expertise, but I have no idea why Santana Garrett hasn't been offered a deal by one of Impact or WWE yet. I've seen her pop up all over the place and she's always great.

Cheerleader Melissa has generally been great when I've seen her too. I thought Impact had something with her when they made her Alyssa Flash years ago but for some reason they never gave her a proper shot and she was stuck in a lame sidekick gimmick for Kong. :(

Women's wrestling is by no means my area of expertise, but I have no idea why Santana Garrett hasn't been offered a deal by one of Impact or WWE yet. I've seen her pop up all over the place and she's always great.

Cheerleader Melissa has generally been great when I've seen her too. I thought Impact had something with her when they made her Alyssa Flash years ago but for some reason they never gave her a proper shot and she was stuck in a lame sidekick gimmick for Kong. :(

She had a rubbish run in Impact as Brittany, bouncing between gimmicks cause they had no idea what to do with her. I'd love to see her get another proper run in Impact.

I feel for Cheerleader Melissa as her most high profile roles to date have always been hidden behind very OTT gimmicks that don't really give much opportunity to growth.

She had a rubbish run in Impact as Brittany, bouncing between gimmicks cause they had no idea what to do with her. I'd love to see her get another proper run in Impact.

I feel for Cheerleader Melissa as her most high profile roles to date have always been hidden behind very OTT gimmicks that don't really give much opportunity to growth.

With the Lucha Underground partnership it's possible she could return to Impact. I doubt WWE are interested.

<p>I don't think Santana Garrett wants to be signed, or rather tied down. She recently taped for WOW Superheroes, a project that strikes me as female empowerment and that seems to fit her like a glove. She works for Ring Warriors and MLW too and is one of the few "name" female indie wrestlers of the last five years still taking bookings now Mia Yim has signed. Pretty sure Santana was at Starrcast during the All In weekend too. If you check her social media she's always pimping different products and generally just seems very very busy all of the time.</p><p> </p><p> Cheerleader Melissa hasn't signed because WWE was running Lumbergill matches and giving the women 4 minute matches when Melissa was working 30-minute barnburners with Wesna. I don't think she works as much these days, pretty sure she only pops up when it's time for a SHIMMER weekender or another season of Lucha Underground. Missed the boat on WWE wanting actual talent, just like poor LuFisto.</p><p> </p><p> Mercedes Martinez is one of those that I reckon they'd like to bring in as and when they feel they need her but she's 36 and she hasn't got over enough with Full Sail to force their hand like Cedric Alexander did. She's like Allysin Kay to me, she's a good enough worker but I'm unconvinced of the upside away from what they can do in the ring. Sometimes, like in the cases of Lacey Lane, Rhea Ripley and even Deonna, the best wrestler of the lot, there's a look, a personality and a character that follows them that is both appealing and marketable to WWE. I don't think Mercedes, or Cheerleader Melissa for that matter, have all the tools that make it logical to invest serious resources in them given their respective ages. Compare them to Shayna Baszler.</p><p> </p><p> Speaking of the Mae Young Classic generally, it has been pretty good so far. Perhaps a notch below last year's at this point but I feel like the focus has switched. Last year was about opportunity, they had lots of unsigned talent and they worked extremely hard to have good matches and raise their profile. This year's has been more character focused for sure with PC talent being given more of the limelight.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Greylocke" data-cite="Greylocke" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Enjoyed the NXT 3-way, and I like Ricochet......but hated the way they jobbed the UK Champion to a secondary champion. The Face of Brand shouldn't be losing to a second-tier champ from another brand. Especially with the new brand just starting their own shows. They should have let Adam Cole take the pin.</div></blockquote><p> Yeah I'm with you on that. Dunne was put over strong because he hit the Bitter End and was probably about to win, but the fans didn't pop for it nor Ricochet's Springboard 450. Bit deflating at the end. The match was good though. My guess is that these three will captain the teams for War Games next month.</p>

<p>Just watched the MYC and was thinking: shouldn't they make a Women's Tag Team tournament somewhere in the near future? Just a yearly event, quite like the mixed tag they did. Due to the brand split, it simply isn't viable to make a permanent title (yet). It's like what TNA tried (alongside the millions of 'unique' things they tried without success because they half-assed things). A women's tag title in a division with 8 people is just moronic.</p><p> </p><p>

The reason I thought this is the "Ember-Moon"-like worker. Would make a nice tag team, right? Maybe somewhere along the line they could have Ronda and that new judo worker team up (if they ever turn her heel). The current Superstars and their history would make for some fine matches imo.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Just watched the MYC and was thinking: shouldn't they make a Women's Tag Team tournament somewhere in the near future? Just a yearly event, quite like the mixed tag they did. Due to the brand split, it simply isn't viable to make a permanent title (yet). It's like what TNA tried (alongside the millions of 'unique' things they tried without success because they half-assed things). A women's tag title in a division with 8 people is just moronic.<p> </p><p> The reason I thought this is the "Ember-Moon"-like worker. Would make a nice tag team, right? Maybe somewhere along the line they could have Ronda and that new judo worker team up (if they ever turn her heel). The current Superstars and their history would make for some fine matches imo.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> They have been pairing all the women up on both brands lately. I expect Stephanie to make an announcement at Evolution or the Raw after.</p>

<p>MYC:</p><p> </p><p>

Lane vs Satomura - Good match. Lacey stepped up.</p><p>

Io vs Deonna - Great match. I'll give Io a pass for her sloppy moonsaults for now because the ring size and turnbuckle height are different than what she's used to in Japan.</p><p>

Nox vs Ripley - Upsetting to watch but I'm glad they showed it. Pity they didn't realise how bad it was and stop the match earlier. Fair play to Rhea for not breaking character and the announcers for handling it respectfully.</p><p>

Yim vs Storm - Great match</p><p> </p><p>

I'm 23/27 for picks on complete matches.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

NXT:</p><p> </p><p>

- War Raiders vs Era was great. The finish was a nice set up for Wargames.</p><p>

- A wild Britt Baker appears</p><p>

- Nice to see the Chinese recruits given a chance. I would love to see Lorcan & Burch in the Wargames match instead of Mustache Mountain just to keep things fresh.</p><p>

- Great showcase for Nikki and Bianca. Cliffhanger!</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

NXT UK:</p><p> </p><p>

Solid start. Only issue is that the UK Women's Title match is at Evolution but they won't have time to show all the matches leading to it.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>MYC:<p> </p><p> Lane vs Satomura - Good match. Lacey stepped up.</p><p> Io vs Deonna - Great match. I'll give Io a pass for her sloppy moonsaults for now because the ring size and turnbuckle height are different than what she's used to in Japan.</p><p> Nox vs Ripley - Upsetting to watch but I'm glad they showed it. Pity they didn't realise how bad it was and stop the match earlier. Fair play to Rhea for not breaking character and the announcers for handling it respectfully.</p><p> Yim vs Storm - Great match</p><p> </p><p> I'm 23/27 for picks on complete matches.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, that Nox/Ripley match was really heartbreaking. Ripley seems to have had fun heeling on Twitter today about it, though.</p><p> </p><p> I'm 26/28 in my picks so far. The only ones I got wrong were Zeuxis/Monroe (for some reason I thought Monroe would win) and Lacey Lane over Taynara Conti. I admit that I only got Ripley/Nox right because it was the only match I had spoiled for me before the tournament aired, though. So I guess that might not count.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Crychon" data-cite="Crychon" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah, that Nox/Ripley match was really heartbreaking. Ripley seems to have had fun heeling on Twitter today about it, though.<p> </p><p> I'm 26/28 in my picks so far. The only ones I got wrong were Zeuxis/Monroe (for some reason I thought Monroe would win) and Lacey Lane over Taynara Conti. I admit that I only got Ripley/Nox right because it was the only match I had spoiled for me before the tournament aired, though. So I guess that might not count.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Tegan was rumored to make it to at least the Semi Final of the MYC (some think she would have won the whole thing) and the Final of the NXT UK Women's Tournament. I wonder how much of an adjustment they have had to make to the booking.</p><p> </p><p> I got Dawn/Matthews, Lacey/Kraven, Lacey/Conti and Xia Li/Karen Q wrong.</p>