The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Arrows" data-cite="Arrows" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Can anyone give me a logical explanation for why they're making Brock look completely pathetic? I really don't understand making the one guy who's actually proven himself to be a legit bad-ass, look helpless against someone anyone with knowledge knows he'd destroy.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I thought the same thing. The whole tantrum/hitting the table with a chair was pretty weird. Up until now, we've been fed this notion that he's a "legit bad ass". If he really is then he'd go toe-to-toe with Big Show & the two would fight it out until one couldn't get back up. That's what being a "bad ass" is all about in wrestling; never backing down.</p><p> </p><p> The booking was weird at best.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bull" data-cite="Bull" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>We unfortunately seem to be in a day and age where people would rather pay to see the names as opposed to the talent and skill. ..</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Also keep in mind that a majority of WWE's 'creative' staff and suchlike are not 'wrestling people' They are instead 'TV' people. So the fact doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they're more focused atm in looks over substance. It also wouldn't surprise me if, despite Bryan being really on fire now, that he doesn't end up near the World Title picture for a long while yet. </p><p> </p><p> As for Brock, I put it down to some kind of petty 'revenge' from those on high for Brock up and leaving when he did. WWE HAS been known to do that to workers on occasion. Wouldn't be surprised if he lost to Show.</p><p> </p><p> On another note, I mark for The Wyatt Family.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Arrows" data-cite="Arrows" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Can anyone give me a logical explanation for why they're making Brock look completely pathetic? I really don't understand making the one guy who's actually proven himself to be a legit bad-ass, look helpless against someone anyone with knowledge knows he'd destroy.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Its pretty easy to dissect WWE booking IMO. It's the show before their PPV event. They have to make the guy thats going to lose look strong going into his loss. Otherwise, if he looks weak before taking a loss, its almost like double the damage kayfabe wise. It's actually kinda smart when you think about it that way.</p><p> </p><p> As for Batista, he was far from the best big guy in the WWE but he was entertaining as a heel and he was a guy who could be carried to a really good or great match if he was with the right talent. HHH got a really good match out of him, HBK and Taker got a lot of good matches out of him, even he and Orton had a technically good (but kinda boring IMO) match before.</p><p> </p><p> A good Batista match is possible. Just pair him with a Sheamus, Bryan, Ziggler, etc. type of talent who can have great matches with a broomstick and they can get the job done.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="dpoolez" data-cite="dpoolez" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Its pretty easy to dissect WWE booking IMO. It's the show before their PPV event. They have to make the guy thats going to lose look strong going into his loss. Otherwise, if he looks weak before taking a loss, its almost like double the damage kayfabe wise. It's actually kinda smart when you think about it that way.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Rule of Opposite Momentum</p><p> </p><p> <a href="http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/16/wrestling-wrap-up-the-big-show-cries" rel="external nofollow">From the IGN Wrestling Wrap Up when it was Cena mocking Laurinaitis before their match "Plus, the ultra-scientifically accurate science meter – the Opposite Momentum Rule – scientifically dictates that Cena will scientifically lose."</a></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bull" data-cite="Bull" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>We unfortunately seem to be in a day and age where people would rather pay to see the names as opposed to the talent and skill. ..</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This has always been the case with pro wrestling, Hulk Hogan, Goldberg, Randy Savage, Warrior, Hall and Nash, and many many more have drawn crowds based on names and not wrestling ability.</p><p> </p><p> The attitude era was built around this look at the match levels there was never great wrestling matches, just solid storylines based around the names that they had.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="dpoolez" data-cite="dpoolez" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Its pretty easy to dissect WWE booking IMO. It's the show before their PPV event. They have to make the guy thats going to lose look strong going into his loss. Otherwise, if he looks weak before taking a loss, its almost like double the damage kayfabe wise. It's actually kinda smart when you think about it that way.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I get Show coming out on top the show before the PPV. It just seems like Show and Brock would both benefit more from a GOOD brawl, back and forth, won by Show. Brock being a wuss does little for either man.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Arrows" data-cite="Arrows" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Can anyone give me a logical explanation for why they're making Brock look completely pathetic? I really don't understand making the one guy who's actually proven himself to be a legit bad-ass, look helpless against someone anyone with knowledge knows he'd destroy.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The logical explanation is that they want Brock to be booed so they can't just have him come out and murder guys, that will turn him face as soon as he goes up against someone the crowd doesn't like. Since he's still got probably the best legit athlete resume in the past 50 years, he can afford to look a bit silly on TV so that it's not a foregone conclusion that he's winning his match on Sunday.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="jwt13" data-cite="jwt13" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This has always been the case with pro wrestling, Hulk Hogan, Goldberg, Randy Savage, Warrior, Hall and Nash, and many many more have drawn crowds based on names and not wrestling ability.<p> </p><p> The attitude era was built around this look at the match levels there was never great wrestling matches, just solid storylines based around the names that they had.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The first paragraph is pretty true, the second is pretty out there. There were tons of great matches in the Attitude era. They did a better job of creating new stars, since they pretty much had to, but it was a lucky coincidence that they also had a bunch of great wrestlers who were waiting for a break.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lazorbeak" data-cite="lazorbeak" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The logical explanation is that they want Brock to be booed so they can't just have him come out and murder guys, that will turn him face as soon as he goes up against someone the crowd doesn't like. Since he's still got probably the best legit athlete resume in the past 50 years, he can afford to look a bit silly on TV so that it's not a foregone conclusion that he's winning his match on Sunday.<p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> The first paragraph is pretty true, the second is pretty out there. There were tons of great matches in the Attitude era. They did a better job of creating new stars, since they pretty much had to, but it was a lucky coincidence that they also had a bunch of great wrestlers who were waiting for a break.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You can only make someone look weak so many times before weak is all people see.</p><p> </p><p> Agree with the second paragraph completely. It may not have been the best "technical wrestling" I've ever seen, but Kane, Taker, Rock, Austin, Trips, Angle, Jericho, and so on and so forth down through much of that roster, put on some amazing matches quality and story wise. Exciting matches almost every night.</p>

<p><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Raw Review:</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Orton, The Authority & Batista</strong> - Solid segment. Although Batista got less of a reaction than Rock and Lesnar on their returns. He's like Rock-Lite.</p><p>

<strong>Big E & RhodesDust vs The Shield</strong> - Good match.</p><p>

<strong>Gunn vs Punk</strong> - Decent match. Road Dogg was dynamite on commentary. Punk the Royal Rumble Iron Man. I like it.</p><p>

<strong>Rey vs Del Rio</strong> - Didn't watch it. I don't mind match spamming so long as it's a fun tag match. Batista taking out Del Rio was the best part. Batista wearing skinny jeans was a bad idea.</p><p>

<strong>Lesnar & Big Show</strong> - Got the job done. The Rumble match against Lesnar should be the last high profile match of Show's career until he's ready to retire. Like Rey he's only there for his diehard fans and as a courtesy for being a loyal servant.</p><p>

<strong>The Usos vs Wyatt Family</strong> - The Wyatts are good stiff brawlers but the Usos really stepped it up a notch in this match. The Bryan run-in at the end was good.</p><p>

<strong>Kofi vs Orton</strong> - OK match. If Orton's arena escape from Cena isn't teasing a Falls Count Anywhere match at the Rumble then it was pointless.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Verdict:</span></strong> Average show. I get the feeling WWE were stupidly expecting a better pop for Batista. Hopefully he won't win the Rumble and he'll turn heel.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Rayelek" data-cite="Rayelek" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Anyone else a little disapponted that the Release Powerbomb on Del Rio was called a Batista Bomb? I much prefer the Sit-Out Powerbomb and hope that he uses that rather than the ugly release version on Raw.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> His Sit-Out version was always botchy and silly looking.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Arrows" data-cite="Arrows" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You can only make someone look weak so many times before weak is all people see.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I might agree with that if we weren't talking about Brock Lesnar. As I mentioned, he has more real life credibility than pretty much any heel in the last 50 years, so "showing his ***" a bit isn't going to make "weak all people see" the way it pretty much did with somebody like The Miz, especially if he goes out and beats the Show down the way he should at the actual show.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Arrows" data-cite="Arrows" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I get Show coming out on top the show before the PPV. It just seems like Show and Brock would both benefit more from a GOOD brawl, back and forth, won by Show. Brock being a wuss does little for either man.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> True. However, Brock's already played the cliche heel at least once to twice during the Triple H feud so honestly Show just outright making Brock act like a heel doesnt really bother me. He still looked pretty beast for a good majority of his run.</p><p> </p><p> I do get that Brock is supposed to be this beast, but I dont really see it as too much of a problem if WWE goes away from that every once in a while, especially considering who hes feuding with.</p>

<p>It really wasn't that bad. This whole thing about "looking weak" is talked about in a lot of places I see.. but honestly it's simply elementary. Heels will escape threats and attack in opportune fashion. The whole segment looked clunky but it got the point across.</p><p> </p><p>

Besides just cause Big Show appears boring at times doesn't mean he shouldn't be made to look strong, he is after all the only guy who can realistically throw Lesnar around. It could all come to circle with a Lesnar victory Sunday anyway.</p>

<p>Laz was pretty much 100% on point with his explanations behind why they're booking it the way they are. Classic scumbag heel stuff. We're supposed to hate Brock. IF they duke it out and he stands toe-to-toe with Big Show on Raw we'll start to like him again because he's a legit badass and that's clearly not the direction they want to take the character in.</p><p> </p><p>

I don't think Arrows is wrong wanting a good brawl, but Brock's "I'm saving my greatness for the PPV" mentality works out just fine in this case IMO</p>

<p>The Batista Returns show averaged 4.86 million viewers for all three hours but the big surprise comes from the hourly breakdown, which went as follows:</p><p> </p><p>

Hour one: 5.25 million</p><p>

Hour two: 5.00 million</p><p>

Hour three: 4.36 million</p><p> </p><p>

It was the highest rated Raw in 10 months. Not so suprising is the amount of viewers who tuned out before Orton & Cena closed the show.</p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131026094525/fallout/images/7/70/What-a-twist.jpg</span></p>

My son has been laughing at the screams of Brock for a few episodes now. At first I didn't think it was supposed to be funny, but over time I am starting to wonder if it's not. The first time I noticed it they must have showed it half a dozen times "looking back" at it. My son kept laughing the whole time, and imitating him (only making it ten times worse/funnier). Now it was mentioned here. I think maybe someone has a sense of humor.

Batista was garbage when he was full time. No reason for him to win the Rumble now. Plus, he posted this little diddy on Twitter. Classy :rolleyes:

Just wanted to thank everyone who supported my return. I missed you guys!! All you other negative Smarks can suck my balls! Haha!!! #onelife

So. Thoughts on Batista winning the rumble?

I hate the idea of a guy who is only going to stick around a few months and has been gone for years winning the rumble. I would rather have him get eliminated by someone not in the rumble or someone he just eliminated from the rumble. That way you can use the guy who screwed him over as his Wrestlemania opponent (has the added bonus of Batista not being in a title match).

Batista's back on a far more regular basis than Brock or Undertaker. Think Jericho, if you will. Plus he's a big name (that'll get bigger with GOTG) for the company of a recent generation that can still go in the ring and has history with more than a few of the current main eventers, so we've got ready-made feuds as well.