The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

So TNA should build their stars? In like a developmental system or what

That is what Ring of Honor is for!:D Seriously, if I was TNA I would look into getting back the working agreement that they once had with ROH. That way they could send maybe their less over workers down there to get some work in.

The WWF fans fought to get MY Network here on my cable system and we did get it. The shows on there suck, but we get it. Who knew that wrestling fans could be such a strong lobby.

TNA should push their stars of TV.

Like instead of say, jobbing them to a fat past-their-prime tag team, maybe have them showcase their tag team skills and abilities by beating aforementioned tag team and having a run with the tag titles. Or instead of being pinned by a fat-out-of-shape-past his prime Jim Neidhart, maybe actually get to win on TV.

TNA doesn't have a dev system, so it's different for them. They should use the "stars" to make new ones.

Yeah 1.5 was the original number. And 2.4 is actually better then Smackdown as they are around a 2.1/2.0 lately if I remember correctly as far as the numbers have been released.

Just a quick reminder. Ratings for network t.v are different. Ratings are calculated by number of viewers divided by number of available homes. Therefore if your available in less homes then you need less viewers to get a bigger rating.

For instance Superstars beat Impact during their New Years Eve Knockout Special. Superstars got a .70 to Impact's .69 Big deal right? Well look at this Impact averaged a million viewers while Superstars had just over 760,000 viewers. However Superstars is seen in fewer homes than Spike therefore they need fewer viewers to get a bigger rating.

So even IF you can say 1.5 plus .9 is a 2.4 which is so in accurate. There is no way of knowing how many of those same people watched it on Monday night as well. If there is anything TNA has shown they have a VERY dedicated 1.0 rating fanbase. I find it very strange that they had the same number of viewers.

That being said even IF you say that Impact drew a 2.4 rating thats still not enough to really be in SD's class. Spike is on 100 million homes to where as MyTV is network television and available in 99 percent of homes in America.

So the ratings look close but in reality there are millions of homes that have SD available to them that Impact doesn't thus making the average rating lower if even more people are watching.

The more obvious route is that SD is on Friday nights. SD is aimed at 18-34 males, I don't know about you guys but I'm gone on Friday nights. Heck I was gone tonight didn't give SD another look.

So yeah Impact has a long long way to go before they get the viewers SD has.

Just a quick reminder. Ratings for network t.v are different. Ratings are calculated by number of viewers divided by number of available homes. Therefore if your available in less homes then you need less viewers to get a bigger rating.

For instance Superstars beat Impact during their New Years Eve Knockout Special. Superstars got a .70 to Impact's .69 Big deal right? Well look at this Impact averaged a million viewers while Superstars had just over 760,000 viewers. However Superstars is seen in fewer homes than Spike therefore they need fewer viewers to get a bigger rating.

So even IF you can say 1.5 plus .9 is a 2.4 which is so in accurate. There is no way of knowing how many of those same people watched it on Monday night as well. If there is anything TNA has shown they have a VERY dedicated 1.0 rating fanbase. I find it very strange that they had the same number of viewers.

That being said even IF you say that Impact drew a 2.4 rating thats still not enough to really be in SD's class. Spike is on 100 million homes to where as MyTV is network television and available in 99 percent of homes in America.

So the ratings look close but in reality there are millions of homes that have SD available to them that Impact doesn't thus making the average rating lower if even more people are watching.

The more obvious route is that SD is on Friday nights. SD is aimed at 18-34 males, I don't know about you guys but I'm gone on Friday nights. Heck I was gone tonight didn't give SD another look.

This is an incredibly well put-together statement. Good job.

So Monday did a 1.5 and Thursday did a .9 and you think you can add this up for a final rating? I'm sorry but that that might be the stupidest thing I read on these boards in a few days, and beleive me it has some stiff competition. The ratings don't work like that. TNA needs to stick to defeating ECW, before moving on to Smackdown, or even Competing with RAW for that matter.

If we are doing totals for ratings why aren't we including AM RAW that runs Saturday mornings? It generally does a .6-.7

I Never said 1.5 + 0.9 = 2.4 I said even if you ad half of the 0.9 you get close to Smackdown plus I am not an American so I didn't know exactly how Neilson works. And why wouldn't one include replay's for total ratings? Plus this was kind of a one of night so the Amazing red analogy is not valid imho.

I Never said 1.5 + 0.9 = 2.4 I said even if you ad half of the 0.9 you get close to Smackdown plus I am not an American so I didn't know exactly how Neilson works. And why wouldn't one include replay's for total ratings? Plus this was kind of a one of night so the Amazing red analogy is not valid imho.

You don't count replays because it could be the same fans watching again.

The replay did a 0.9 rating. Even taking into account people that watched it twice or thought it would be a new show (and decided to stick around) that is still a very good rating. If you ad say half on top of the 1.5 you get close to Smackdown ratings.

Here is the original post I didn't know the availability part of the ratings so thanks Stennick. The second one where I did get to 2.4 was in response to Stennicks first post where he mentioned that number and asked if the 1.5 was Monday's.

Smackdown pulls over a 2 consistently...Impact pulls around a 1...this time a 1.5...how is that even close?

Yeah most people don't know actually. Lots of people look at SD's low number and think that. They thought it when it was on the CW as well. Its just a case of being on two networks that are available in every home. So pulling in the same viewers as RAW pulls in would result in a much lower rating than RAW. Thats why I made the Superstars/Impact example. Impact drew 250,000 more viewers but lost the ratings by one tenth of a point due to Superstars network (WGN) being available in less homes.

Yeah most people don't know actually. Lots of people look at SD's low number and think that. They thought it when it was on the CW as well. Its just a case of being on two networks that are available in every home. So pulling in the same viewers as RAW pulls in would result in a much lower rating than RAW. Thats why I made the Superstars/Impact example. Impact drew 250,000 more viewers but lost the ratings by one tenth of a point due to Superstars network (WGN) being available in less homes.

Which is why Saturday Nights Main Event used to be such a big deal. A Main stream network pulls down like an 5 to 8 for a crappy regular sitcom.

Smackdown pulls over a 2 consistently...Impact pulls around a 1...this time a 1.5...how is that even close?

I said for this time not consistently and that 2.0 for Smackdown has been for the last 2 months or so before that they where a lot lower. 0.9 Is a lot for a replay that I do know especially when the original is a 1.5 so there must be a lot of original viewers in there. Even if it is just one third you get a 1.8 so ratings wise it is close to Smackdown. Total viewers still far of because of the different Network sizes (thanks Stennick). I am talking about this weeks show not Impact as a whole.

Which is why Saturday Nights Main Event used to be such a big deal. A Main stream network pulls down like an 5 to 8 for a crappy regular sitcom.

Thats exactly why it was a huge deal especially back then because there was no RAW or SD. It was Superstars or Prime Time just syndicated shows. Not too mention in the 80's USA didn't reach a 100 million homes. Hell I bet it didn't reach half that. So to get what four, five times maybe more of a potential audience was saying something.

Come to think of it even Prime Time and Superstars were just squash matches with a semi good main event and lots of stars with promos. To take that format which reaches less than half the homes SD and RAW reach with their competitive match, soap opera content and still pull down the ppv's and business they did is very impressive.

I said for this time not consistently and that 2.0 for Smackdown has been for the last 2 months or so before that they where a lot lower. 0.9 Is a lot for a replay that I do know especially when the original is a 1.5 so there must be a lot of original viewers in there. Even if it is just one third you get a 1.8 so ratings wise it is close to Smackdown. Total viewers still far of because of the different Network sizes (thanks Stennick). I am talking about this weeks show not Impact as a whole.

Your not grasping the concept that you cannot combine the ratings at all. I just looked up Smackdown for 2009 and the lowest rating it got all year was 1.7 Impacts highest is 1.5.

But that is really besides the point. MynetworkTV is on a 10th of the network Impact is on. If TNA was on mynetworktv they would be doing a .2 and if smackdown was on spike they would pull nearly a 4. You cant really just say they are close to smackdown.

So wait which has a bigger potential viewing audience MyNetwork or Spike? As Stennick says MyNetwork so their 2.0 equals a lot more actual people then a 2.0 on Spike would equate too. At the same time sabataged says Spike is bigger. Maybe both are the case with MyNetwork showing in more homes and Spike being a better known network.

I agree that in normal situations you can not use the replay number but this is not a normal situation.

PS lowest for Smackdown in 52 weeks was a 1.6 btw not that it really matters.

So wait which has a bigger potential viewing audience MyNetwork or Spike? As Stennick says MyNetwork so their 2.0 equals a lot more actual people then a 2.0 on Spike would equate too. At the same time sabataged says Spike is bigger. Maybe both are the case with MyNetwork showing in more homes and Spike being a better known network.

I agree that in normal situations you can not use the replay number but this is not a normal situation.

How is it not normal? Monday night war or not, it's still the same. The rules don't change.

PS lowest for Smackdown in 52 weeks was a 1.6 btw not that it really matters.

SpikeTV has about 10 times the viewers that MyNetworkTV has. If not more...Well the website I checked said it was 1.7 so whatever I guess.

Because a 0.9 is two thirds of a 1.5 and that 1.5 was achieved going head to head for two thirds with their biggest competitor and it was gotten in their normal time slot so there is reason to believe that a good chunck of that 0.9 are original/first time viewers.

Edit: which is not totally the case for AM Raw. What was AM Raw's rating this week btw? Plus it seems that it also uses a different format slimming down to 1 hour making it a different show of sorts.

If we are using replay then RAW is dominating with 4's, even close to 5 because they have AM RAW that slims RAW down to an hour and plays saturday mornings.

While we're in super fantasy land. Since AM RAW is only an hour, then we should double the ratings because if it was 2 hours long, it would have obviously doubled.

SpikeTV has about 10 times the viewers that MyNetworkTV has. If not more...Well the website I checked said it was 1.7 so whatever I guess.

Acutually Sab Mytv is in 90 plus percent of homes in America since its network television. The reason people don't know this is because it shows no new programming its all syndicated television cept for SD. However Spike T.V reaches just around a 100 million homes. If what I've read is true there is 150 plus single family homes in America. I don't know if "homes" is apartments and other such things or just purely houses. None the less My T.V has a POTENTIAL viewing audience of a 150 million roughly. Now do a 150 people watch it? No but when calculating ratings you go with how many homes its available in.

Viewers/Potential homes.

So if Impact draws in a million viewers it'd got 1 million/100 million.

So technically MyTV has more available homes but more people actually watch Spike. However the ratings aren't calculated by if people are watching your networked their calculated on who's watching versus who COULD be watching.

I hope this clears it up Hyde. In America we have NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, The CW and MyTV are the six network televisions that any home with a television can access. Then of course depending on your cable provider and your package you can access Spike T.V, USA, etc.

Guess I was right in my hunch that MyNetwork shows in more homes but Spike is the better known/viewed network thanks for clearing that up Stennick. And how is this debate stupid?As unfortunately by all accounts ratings matter.

I agree that one shouldn't normally ad replay ratings but don't you agree that in this case there is a good case to be made that out of the 0.9 a sizable portion where original viewers?