The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

I gave TNA another shot on their "restart" and it was just the same old crap. You know what would really shock me? A month of tapings where nobody turned heel or face! It's amateur. Without Panda energies money, TNA would have been dead already. Their booking philosophy is like this;

Week 1 - "Who shall we turn heel?"

Week 2 - "Who shall we turn face?"

Week 3 - "Let's turn the heel from week 1 back to a face"

Week 4 - "I know, let's shock everyone and have the heel who turned face, turn heel again!"

Week 5 - "Who shall we turn heel?"

And so it repeats.

I honestly can't tell if the fall itself was planned and Jeff just forgot about the stairs or not. Either way, he's going to die in the ring one of these days if he keeps doing crazy shit like this.

They needed an angle to write him off for a month since he can't get in the UK but apparently the spot went worse than planned and he got hurt for real

They needed an angle to write him off for a month since he can't get in the UK but apparently the spot went worse than planned and he got hurt for real

I just don't get why they even keep him around anymore, he's inconsistent at his best and a broken down addict at his worst these days and he can't even go into the country where TNA does a sizable chunk of business. What value does he possibly have to these morons?

In a business where it's impossible for anybody not named WWE to create stars in this country he means a lot. Angle is broken down and at this point Jeff is more reliable than him.

TNA's promotion has always been terrible but still he's a guy who at his peak was hotter than John Cena was. He could/should be one of the driving points behind their growth, I thought the Hardys and Dudleys feuding with the Wolves last year was a perfect example. You can use those kind of names to put new eyes on the young stars that don't have that profile.

In a business where it's impossible for anybody not named WWE to create stars in this country he means a lot. Angle is broken down and at this point Jeff is more reliable than him.

TNA's promotion has always been terrible but still he's a guy who at his peak was hotter than John Cena was. He could/should be one of the driving points behind their growth, I thought the Hardys and Dudleys feuding with the Wolves last year was a perfect example. You can use those kind of names to put new eyes on the young stars that don't have that profile.

Plus I believe Hardy is their best merch seller.

And I have now lost any faith in wrestling fans.

Jeff Hardy was even outselling John Cena IIRC during his world championship reign on Smackdown.

Jeff has always been able to connect with fans no matter and it seems he has cleaned up his act as I don't be he has gotten in trouble since he went to jail in 2011. From what I hear raising his daughter has caused him to settle down.

I gave TNA another shot on their "restart" and it was just the same old crap. You know what would really shock me? A month of tapings where nobody turned heel or face! It's amateur. Without Panda energies money, TNA would have been dead already. Their booking philosophy is like this;

Week 1 - "Who shall we turn heel?"

Week 2 - "Who shall we turn face?"

Week 3 - "Let's turn the heel from week 1 back to a face"

Week 4 - "I know, let's shock everyone and have the heel who turned face, turn heel again!"

Week 5 - "Who shall we turn heel?"

And so it repeats.

I think you have confused TNA with WWE and Big Show

And I have now lost any faith in wrestling fans.

You and me both. I just never got why the fans took to him so much and there is no doubt that they did/have taken to him. I just personally never got it.

I keep thinking to myself why would these people cheer for a junkie who cared so little for himself, his place of work, and his opponent that he would come on live PPV high. Then again I was a fan of Lawrence Taylor growing up so yeah I guess I have no room to talk.:o

I was a big Jeff Hardy fan as a kid because he was the notable high flier in WWE and had cool facial hair and dyed hair. But as soon as he hit a level where he had to talk, I lost all interest. His promo skills are really poor, even though he's got charisma, and generations that grew up watching him were hitting the scene and flying higher and moving faster and he just wasn't that impressive anymore.

And yet Hardy was picked as the chosen one and stunk up cards in TNA from 2004 onward. An enigma indeed, though I guess they rationalised it by claiming he brought in fans. And maybe he did just that. Or perhaps it was the quality wrestling that reeled in the fans. We'll probably never find out. That period had me literarly turn off the TV before the main event happened. Jarrett vs Hardy was just... not attractive as a main event.

I think you have confused TNA with WWE and Big Show

Well as I've not watched WWE properly since March, I wouldn't know.

Mr Anderson Heel & Face turns - how many? I've lost count.

Samoa Joe Heel and Face turns - how many? I've lost count.

Austin Aries Heel & Face turns? What is he now?

Bully Ray Heel & Face turns - How Many? I've lost count. (I know he's not in TNA any more but it is still valid)

Kurt Angle... Christian (when he was there), Booker T (when he was there), Abyss, Magnus, Hulk Hogan (when he was there), Any Knockout, Eric Young, Bobby Roode, James Storm, etc, etc, Every single roster member has been on either side so how can you build a franchise player when the guy you have as the face of the company is someone who has either A) Turned heel to win the belt B) Is a face who loses the belt due to a crooked decision?

Jeff Hardy turns heel to win the title. aligns with Immortal. Magnus turns heel to win the title, aligns with Team Dixie. Bully Ray turns heel to win the title unveiled as Aces & Eights President...

I'm not one of these TNA "haters" or WWE "bashers", I'm a wrestling fan and want to see a good product, from any company and would love to see TNA put on great shows, but their clueless booking and seeming lack of creativity prevents that. It's not a shock when someone who has been face for 10 minutes suddenly turns heel, it doesn't create that "I must watch next week" moment. TNA talked up about a new start on a new network and within show #1 they turned 3 people heel - the tapings sound even worse!

I hope that clarifies that it was in fact TNA I was referring to, and not WWE or Big Show.

You and me both. I just never got why the fans took to him so much and there is no doubt that they did/have taken to him. I just personally never got it.

I keep thinking to myself why would these people cheer for a junkie who cared so little for himself, his place of work, and his opponent that he would come on live PPV high. Then again I was a fan of Lawrence Taylor growing up so yeah I guess I have no room to talk.:o

This is the same business where Goldberg, Warrior, Hogan, etc were all massive stars how can you possibly be shocked? Charisma on a TV screen trumps everything

This is the same business where Goldberg, Warrior, Hogan, etc were all massive stars how can you possibly be shocked? Charisma on a TV screen trumps everything

Not shocked at all, my point was that he wrestled while he was messed up. Granted I am not sure if anyone else has ever done that but with him it was so clear and yet the fans still love the guy. I just do not understand why that is the case. His charisma even mystifies me as I find him to be very bland. That being said it is there as people still love the guy no matter what he does, I am just saying that I personally never got it.

His charisma even mystifies me as I find him to be very bland. That being said it is there as people still love the guy no matter what he does, I am just saying that I personally never got it.

Amen, my brother. When they've been presented as solos I've always related far more to Matt than I ever have Jeff. Matt may not be the showman Jeff is but his characters and gimmicks have always felt real and genuine. Matt's able to make me believe he is whatever promoters would have me believe of him for story's sake. With Jeff, it feels like he's supposed to be wrestling's answer to Ferriss Bueller. We're all supposed to just love the guy by osmosis for different reasons. We're supposed to see him as a man for all seasons. Instead of the "Charismatic Enigma" I'm surprised they don't promote him as the "Social Superhero" because to hear creative types tell it nobody's supposed to be able to resist his overwhelming charm. It's like Matt's a mere man and Jeff's a cartoon character. All this love for a guy who's all flash and dash and almost too good to be true? I don't get it.

Amen, my brother. When they've been presented as solos I've always related far more to Matt than I ever have Jeff. Matt may not be the showman Jeff is but his characters and gimmicks have always felt real and genuine. Matt's able to make me believe he is whatever promoters would have me believe of him for story's sake. With Jeff, it feels like he's supposed to be wrestling's answer to Ferriss Bueller. We're all supposed to just love the guy by osmosis for different reasons. We're supposed to see him as a man for all seasons. Instead of the "Charismatic Enigma" I'm surprised they don't promote him as the "Social Superhero" because to hear creative types tell it nobody's supposed to be able to resist his overwhelming charm. It's like Matt's a mere man and Jeff's a cartoon character. All this love for a guy who's all flash and dash and almost too good to be true? I don't get it.

The answer is simple: it's the fact that he has the "IT" factor in the eyes of a majority of people. What is the "IT" factor exactly? Well, "IT" can't be clearly defined. "IT" is what makes fans say "I have to watch that guy". This is the case with Jeff in my opinion, especially in the early 2000's when he began to slowly but naturally stand out with his risk taking and the unique (at the time) look he began to sport with the wristbands, the hair, and face paint. It's evident he's not great on the mic when cutting promos, but his charisma is strongest when it's non-verbal, the natural aura he exudes while in the ring just grabs most fans.

Even with his troubles in the past, he hasn't done anything too horrific (like murder) that would prevent me supporting him. No one's perfect, take 90's HBK for instance, we all have our demons. It's how an individuals picks themselves back up after crumbling and whether they continue marching forward that matters. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Jeff has been more vigilant in keeping his act cleaned up since the birth of his daughter.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Killagy" data-cite="Killagy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The answer is simple: it's the fact that he has the "IT" factor in the eyes of a majority of people. What is the "IT" factor exactly? Well, "IT" can't be clearly defined. "IT" is what makes fans say "I have to watch that guy". This is the case with Jeff in my opinion, especially in the early 2000's when he began to slowly but naturally stand out with his risk taking and the unique (at the time) look he began to sport with the wristbands, the hair, and face paint. It's evident he's not great on the mic when cutting promos, but his charisma is strongest when it's non-verbal, the natural aura he exudes while in the ring just grabs most fans.<p> </p><p> Even with his troubles in the past, he hasn't done anything too horrific (like murder) that would prevent me supporting him. No one's perfect, take 90's HBK for instance, we all have our demons. It's how an individuals picks themselves back up after crumbling and whether they continue marching forward that matters. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Jeff has been more vigilant in keeping his act cleaned up since the birth of his daughter.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> If there was a like button, I probably would just hit the button for your post. Exactly how I think of him. Even with newer, younger, and more athletic wrestlers making the scene, Jeff still stands out to me.</p><p> </p><p> To BHK: You have to remember that the majority of fans that watch wrestling every week don't even have a clue how messed up he has been. You say it's obvious, and it is to anyone that would know to look for it. To the eye that has no reason to think that at all, it might not be so obvious. Most people that know, are people that read about the backstage happenings in wrestling, not the majority that only go to websites to see maybe see a spoiler or read what they missed on the show. </p><p> </p><p> We know because we read all types of wrestling news, and quite often repeat what we have read here for the rest of us. People on other forums are the same way about tv shows, or movies (especially Marvel movies) or a specific sport. They know all about the stars of the shows, things I don't know because that part doesn't interest me. I only care if the movie or tv show is good, not if the actor has problems with pain pills. That's about the best I can do for an anology, and perhaps that helps you understand better. You're not looking at Jeff Hardy objectively, you're looking at him with a whole books worth of knowledge on his personal life, which can make anyone subjective.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TheWrestlingMan" data-cite="TheWrestlingMan" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You know this new network may not be the biggest but they have advertised the hell out of TNA. I was watching a basketball game on ESPN tonight and I saw 4 TNA commercials in just the 2 hours the game was on.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's actually kind of exciting news.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TheWrestlingMan" data-cite="TheWrestlingMan" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You know this new network may not be the biggest but they have advertised the hell out of TNA. I was watching a basketball game on ESPN tonight and I saw 4 TNA commercials in just the 2 hours the game was on.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> So after all these years, they're finally taking Bully Ray's advice and actually advertising their damned show?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Swanton825" data-cite="The Swanton825" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So after all these years, they're finally taking Bully Ray's advice and actually advertising their damned show?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The reason for the previous lack of advertising and promotion of the show was entirely the network's fault, Spike TV, last I checked; Destination America were pretty loud and clear with their message after finalizing the deal with TNA about making Impact Wrestling a key part of their programming. The consistent promotion they're already doing proves how much they're all in. You rarely ever saw a commercial promoting Impact on Spike on any day other than the day before it aired, and that would be one or two at best.</p>

To be fair why would spike spend money on advertising when they could get the same numbers from a cops rerun. I don't know how much it can actually benefit TNA, but the fact that they are on an obscure channel means they can be by far the biggest thing on the channel, which of course means the network would be more interested in advertising it.