The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

If I was Dixie Carter....

I would bring in Paul Heyman to run creative. The writer's would have to go through Paul on what flies and what doesn't. It looks to me the product is never consistent week to week and really seems to take a step back at times.

I would bring in Jim Cornette to head the talent. Jim has an eye for talent and really knows how to get a worker over. His ideals are dated a bit creatively so this role would hide that flaw tremendously and would help anyone's career that will actually listen to him.

I say about 3 months of Paul and Jim at the helm would fix a lot of TNA's issues. It would never happen because Paul is on contract with WWE and Jim retired from the business after ROH. That would be a dream duo for me to steer the TNA ship from bankruptcy. They might even compete with WWE in about....5 years with that formula.

I would bring in Paul Heyman to run creative. The writer's would have to go through Paul on what flies and what doesn't. It looks to me the product is never consistent week to week and really seems to take a step back at times.

I would bring in Jim Cornette to head the talent. Jim has an eye for talent and really knows how to get a worker over. His ideals are dated a bit creatively so this role would hide that flaw tremendously and would help anyone's career that will actually listen to him.

I say about 3 months of Paul and Jim at the helm would fix a lot of TNA's issues. It would never happen because Paul is on contract with WWE and Jim retired from the business after ROH. That would be a dream duo for me to steer the TNA ship from bankruptcy. They might even compete with WWE in about....5 years with that formula.

The guy who said Kevin Owens would never be in the big time as head of talent? JR would be better

I don't care if you dislike them haha, that's irrelevant. They are not an indy because a) they are not an independently run company like EVOLVE, they are owned by a multi-million dollar broadcasting corporation, and b) they have people on signed contracts earning guaranteed money. They're basically like TNA business structure-wise, but with more people watching their TV, more people buying their PPV's and more people attending their live events. :)

They are a development for the development, more people watch TNA and even fairweather wrestling fans know about TNA. Only the IWC care about ROH because the normal majority of wrestling fans watch because of the story ROH doesn't have good enough writers to make you interested in there matches (neither does TNA at the moment for me)

ROH will always be the 3rd fiddle in American wrestling maybe 4th if Global Force has good production and writing.

Jim Cornette got ROH sold to Sinclair and saved them from Cary folding it but the actual product under him was absolute trash

It's no coincidence that it got better literally overnight once he left. The Adam Cole title reign had to build the company back up from dismal numbers during the Cornette regime.

I mean he has good ideas in theory...but he fell on his face when he had the ultimate Internet dream job of a guy with his rep getting control of ROH with the goal of making it bigger. No surprise that one of the biggest draws for ROH now are the Young Bucks who Cornette stopped booking during his tenure because he didn't think they were worth it.

If I were Dixie I'd sell TNA and leave wrestling.

Honestly, it's too late for TNA to become competition with WWE whatsoever. After Samoa Joe/Kurt Angle original feud occurred they started to lose some common sense in stories and would have such an inconsistent product. I mean in 2011 TNA wasnt good then after the Aces and Eights started in June of 2012 they started to do some better TV and then Chris Sabin won the title, Rampage Jackson and Tito Ortiz debuted and they started to suck again and now it's about time for a new company to become number two in the US and that's either ROH or GFW. Or Hell maybe HoH on the Fight Network. But TNA's time is up.

If I were Dixie I'd sell TNA and leave wrestling.

Honestly, it's too late for TNA to become competition with WWE whatsoever. After Samoa Joe/Kurt Angle original feud occurred they started to lose some common sense in stories and would have such an inconsistent product. I mean in 2011 TNA wasnt good then after the Aces and Eights started in June of 2012 they started to do some better TV and then Chris Sabin won the title, Rampage Jackson and Tito Ortiz debuted and they started to suck again and now it's about time for a new company to become number two in the US and that's either ROH or GFW. Or Hell maybe HoH on the Fight Network. But TNA's time is up.

It's never too late when there is still money behind the company. Look at how awful WCW was before the NWO put them in a whole new level.

No company will ever be a threat to WWE, but WWE can kill itself. You won't beat a company that has been around for 60+ years the brand and name is too cemented into fans that it will not ever be taken down by another wrestling company.

Jim Cornette got ROH sold to Sinclair and saved them from Cary folding it but the actual product under him was absolute trash

It's no coincidence that it got better literally overnight once he left. The Adam Cole title reign had to build the company back up from dismal numbers during the Cornette regime.

I mean he has good ideas in theory...but he fell on his face when he had the ultimate Internet dream job of a guy with his rep getting control of ROH with the goal of making it bigger. No surprise that one of the biggest draws for ROH now are the Young Bucks who Cornette stopped booking during his tenure because he didn't think they were worth it.

I wouldn't blame it all on Cornette....I also seen this shoot interview but yea he laid out a plan for them to get rolling but somebody always f'ed up the plan or screwed him on budget restraints.

It's never too late when there is still money behind the company. Look at how awful WCW was before the NWO put them in a whole new level.

No company will ever be a threat to WWE, but WWE can kill itself. You won't beat a company that has been around for 60+ years the brand and name is too cemented into fans that it will not ever be taken down by another wrestling company.

But WCW was getting about the same ratings as WWF at the time.

Also companies can be a future threat to WWE I mean you can't be 100% certain that WWE will be at the top forever. Also about not taking down a company that's been around for 60+ years tell that to the companies that went under in the 80's.

I wouldn't blame it all on Cornette....I also seen this shoot interview but yea he laid out a plan for them to get rolling but somebody always f'ed up the plan or screwed him on budget restraints.

Cornette is just like Russo, who he absolutely hates. He downplays the amount of pull he had (because he wasnt "officially" running things) but pretty much everyone that worked there at the time, even if they didnt have bad experiences with him said he was the one in charge and Delirious was just the guy in the position

I've literally never seen the guy admit that he made a mistake. He always takes credit for everything good that happened during that time period (which just by coincidence was pretty much only Steen related) and when people question other things he just shifts the blame elsewhere. Hell this even extends back to his OVW days.

Cornette is the one perfect being on this planet...according to Cornette

I watched The Wolves vs. Dirty Heels match one earlier. Enjoyed it. The production stank at the start, too many close-up shots that were poorly framed but other than that, real nice. Aries is a special talent. Mike Tenay was fabulous on commentary and bought the best out of Josh Mathews too, who I vehemently dislike as a commentator and a person - his tweets about making loads of money... >_>

Looking forward to watching Match #2 and Match #3, hopefully tomorrow. I'm also going to rewatch Angle vs. Lashley & EC3 vs. Spud soon. Is there anything else from 2015 that people recommend I watch?

But WCW was getting about the same ratings as WWF at the time.

Also companies can be a future threat to WWE I mean you can't be 100% certain that WWE will be at the top forever. Also about not taking down a company that's been around for 60+ years tell that to the companies that went under in the 80's.

WWE is and always will be the top dog, unless a company with equal money and star power comes around. But the star power is not there for any two-three people to bring a new power into the company and with the rise of the internet people don't wait for new stars to be made without bitching about the "company" pushing people down our throats.

It would take a McMahon to start a company that could beat WWE.

WWE is and always will be the top dog, unless a company with equal money and star power comes around. But the star power is not there for any two-three people to bring a new power into the company and with the rise of the internet people don't wait for new stars to be made without bitching about the "company" pushing people down our throats.

It would take a McMahon to start a company that could beat WWE.

It would take a company to put on a consistent good product and not insult the intelligence of the fans like both WWE and TNA have done in the past. Also with your comment about people complaining about someone being shoved down there throats, get your facts right that only happens in WWE I've never heard anything like that happening in another company.

Also with your comment about people complaining about someone being shoved down there throats, get your facts right that only happens in WWE I've never heard anything like that happening in another company.

Michael Bennett in ROH

Davey Richards in ROH

People used to endlessly complain about how TNA force pushed ex WWE stars

There are more examples

Cornette is just like Russo, who he absolutely hates. He downplays the amount of pull he had (because he wasnt "officially" running things) but pretty much everyone that worked there at the time, even if they didnt have bad experiences with him said he was the one in charge and Delirious was just the guy in the position

I've literally never seen the guy admit that he made a mistake. He always takes credit for everything good that happened during that time period (which just by coincidence was pretty much only Steen related) and when people question other things he just shifts the blame elsewhere. Hell this even extends back to his OVW days.

Cornette is the one perfect being on this planet...according to Cornette

Wow you really don't like Cornette huh? It's all good though...I guess I've always had a fondness for the guy because we share the same home state.

Wow you really don't like Cornette huh? It's all good though...I guess I've always had a fondness for the guy because we share the same home state.

It's not that I dislike him because he's funny and knowledgeable but he acts like a teenager who doesn't take any responsibility for his actions. He has said tons of things that I agree with (if you exclude his awful fantasy booking of the invasion), but when he's consistently proven wrong and then just acts like a child about it, it's off putting.

Also it happens more vigorously in WWE like with Cena and with Reigns

CEna is pushed because he sells a lot of merch and is incredibly over as an act with the younger kids and the females in the audience. I know none of us older wrestling fans wants to admit this, but its true. Also I would argue the last few years he's actually been doing a pretty good job of working with young stars to make them a big deal (see the Shield, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, to an extent Rusev, though they really need to transition him back to the M/E sooner rather than later otherwise his momentum is going to level off).

Reigns is clearly supposed to be that young kids/ women wrestler to take Cena's action figure spot. He's not being presented for us, the older fans. I think they'd honestly be fine if he got a good "split" reaction ala Cena. The problem is the picked a guy who can't talk, which will be fatal long term. Instead of a vocal split crowd like Cena gets, he was getting a negative reaction from all. I actually think they've done a good job rebuilding him a bit with the younger kids/women crowd with the "I'm buddies with dean guys, remember!" storyline based on the reactions to him lately.

but his point still stands. Every wrestling company fast pushes who it thinks are stars. ROH does it, TNA does it, ect. The only reason people say WWE "does it more" is because the WWE has oversaturated the whole Wrestling market with it's ridiculous what, 5 hours of WWE television a week, plus all the additional stuff (NXT, pre and post Raw, ect) on the network.

CEna is pushed because he sells a lot of merch and is incredibly over as an act with the younger kids and the females in the audience. I know none of us older wrestling fans wants to admit this, but its true. Also I would argue the last few years he's actually been doing a pretty good job of working with young stars to make them a big deal (see the Shield, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, to an extent Rusev, though they really need to transition him back to the M/E sooner rather than later otherwise his momentum is going to level off).

Reigns is clearly supposed to be that young kids/ women wrestler to take Cena's action figure spot. He's not being presented for us, the older fans. I think they'd honestly be fine if he got a good "split" reaction ala Cena. The problem is the picked a guy who can't talk, which will be fatal long term. Instead of a vocal split crowd like Cena gets, he was getting a negative reaction from all. I actually think they've done a good job rebuilding him a bit with the younger kids/women crowd with the "I'm buddies with dean guys, remember!" storyline based on the reactions to him lately.

but his point still stands. Every wrestling company fast pushes who it thinks are stars. ROH does it, TNA does it, ect. The only reason people say WWE "does it more" is because the WWE has oversaturated the whole Wrestling market with it's ridiculous what, 5 hours of WWE television a week, plus all the additional stuff (NXT, pre and post Raw, ect) on the network.

And WWE having PPVs every two weeks now don't forget that

Sorry to disappoint, but every wrestling promotion has force-fed somebody to their audience.

New Japan - AJ Styles. Debuts to crickets, wins the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship within a month. Headlines a very important show the next month and fails to draw, but keeps his belt for a considerable time thereafter. Drops it to Tanahashi, so they can have a draw headline the Dome, but wins it back four months later. Yeah, he's fantastic, but this force-feeding was way worse than Roman Reigns.

All Japan - Akebono. Can't work all that great, but was trained by Great Muta. Also happens to be one of the famous sumo wrestlers of all time, but it's not like he's a major draw, otherwise why would he work in AJPW in front of 250 people? Yeah, he's a multiple-time AJPW Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion. Just won it back recently from Go Shiozaki.

Dragon Gate - T-Hawk. He's fairly over and fairly talented, but god damn are they strapping a rocket to this guy. From being a dominant tag guy to now beating YAMATO and BxB Hulk - two of Dragon Gate's biggest stars - in back to back tournament singles matches. He was also the last survivor in Dragon Gate's traditional scapegoat six-man cage match held every May at Dead Or Alive. He defied all the odds picking up two pinfalls before being the last to escape, confining Dragon Gate's John Cena, CIMA, to a head-shaving.

Then there's Michael Elgin in ROH, Jeff Hardy in TNA, etc etc. Yeah, it happens a lot.

AJ Styles is kinda different, they severely overestimated how over he would be in Japan based on TNA and he failed miserably initially

But AJ clearly got over during G1 and became a legitimate draw. Styles/Ibushi had a better advance for Sumo Hall of any non G1 show (usually the final) in years and Styles/Tanahashi before that was the biggest Sumo Hall attendance they had in years. I'd say the Okada push was more forced than Styles. Styles at least had a reputation of fighting Tanahashi (years ago) so he was established on that level, Okada was just a random megapush out of nowhere that worked.

Watching impact for the 2nd time since getting destination america. Play by play guys shouldn't be heel. Save it for the color commentators. Josh Matthews makes impact nearly unwatchable. Not to mention Josh Matthews is so bad at his job he makes heel cole look like bobby freakin heenan.

I haven't had the misfortune to tune in to TNA but honestly is Josh that bad? I always thought he was a great play by play but I do agree that a play by play should never be heel. It's a bad formula all around and really didn't work right when WWE did it with Cole.

but you mentioning Bobby Heenan does make me tempted to pull out some old WCW tapes just to hear his perfection again.

I haven't had the misfortune to tune in to TNA but honestly is Josh that bad? I always thought he was a great play by play but I do agree that a play by play should never be heel. It's a bad formula all around and really didn't work right when WWE did it with Cole.

but you mentioning Bobby Heenan does make me tempted to pull out some old WCW tapes just to hear his perfection again.

It all depends on who is doing commentary with him. Tenay brings the best out of him but he was with Pope this past week and it didn't really click.