Superman Pushes & Personality Changes

I'm looking for clarification on how (not) to warp my younger workers into selfish, egotistical jerks. Now I know that giving younger workers too many wins over more popular workers can give them massive egos, but I don't know if there's danger in...

...putting a younger worker in high-rated angles in a hot storyline so he moves rapidly up the card without wrestling a match.

...adding a younger worker to my commentary team, letting him rise up the card from that alone.

...giving a younger worker with high star quality losses to main eventers so he shoots on up the card.

So is it wins over more popular workers that I need to worry about, or is it any circumstance that causes a younger worker to gain popularity quickly?

I recall reading from someone (Mr. Ryland, Derek_B???) that a fairly rapid popularity increase can affect a wrestler's personality regardless of how it happens. If memory servces, it is more likely to be negative when it comes from wins over workers above them, because then its a combination of the wins and the rapid increase affecting them. But even just having them in regular angles with your most over talent can affect them -

The best experienced I had was in my diary game, taking a very talented young worker (Davis Wayne Newton) from F- to A* overness over the course of a year. He remained an extremelly positive influence in the locker room throughout. His overness increased on average of about one grade per month (so E+ to D-, for example) with a few bigger jumps occassionally. For the first 8 months or so, it was just from being on TV regularly. After that, he was associated with Rich Money and Remo, two extremelly over workers, which moved him up fairly quickly. This association allowed DWN to shoot up quite quickly, but he still almost never had wins over workers notably above him - always at level or below. He was in a couple of tag matches against top workers that his team won, but it was his partner taking the actual win.

I recall reading from someone (Mr. Ryland, Derek_B???) that a fairly rapid popularity increase can affect a wrestler's personality regardless of how it happens. If memory servces, it is more likely to be negative when it comes from wins over workers above them, because then its a combination of the wins and the rapid increase affecting them. But even just having them in regular angles with your most over talent can affect them
That's very helpful, Bigpapa42, thank you.

So the younger wrestlers in the SWF who start at high popularity, workers like Steve Frehley and Remo, as long as they gain a popularity grade per month or so and I don't make a habit of feeding them more popular workers, I can raise them up to A* without any personality changes? I'm usually cautious about pushing these guys too hard because they're so young, but it sounds like I could gently push either up to A* and even go for a World Heavyweight reign without having to worry about personality warps. Any danger in your experience from a young guy wearing a top belt?

And already starts with a very positive personality. The most obvious example I know is with a ref like Jez Macarthur who starts neutral and quickly goes bad.

DWN is a very positive personality. Which is why he might be more the exception than the rule for the kind of push I gave him - which certainly wasn't a "God" push, but it wasn't quite the rise up the card from 0% overness. He's one of my C-V favorites because he's young and talented but also a helluva good guy - how very very Canadian.

There seems to be a pretty clear causal relationship between wins/losses/popularity and humble/ego. If a worker starts developing an ego start having him lose. Battle Royals and six ways are helpful because they have more losers. I think for the other traits you may need incident reports to change.

That's very helpful, Bigpapa42, thank you.

So the younger wrestlers in the SWF who start at high popularity, workers like Steve Frehley and Remo, as long as they gain a popularity grade per month or so and I don't make a habit of feeding them more popular workers, I can raise them up to A* without any personality changes? I'm usually cautious about pushing these guys too hard because they're so young, but it sounds like I could gently push either up to A* and even go for a World Heavyweight reign without having to worry about personality warps. Any danger in your experience from a young guy wearing a top belt?

I had both Frehley and Remo at A* overness within the first 4-6 weeks of my diary game and they both consistently stayed there. For both, its a fairly short trip to A*, especially Frehley as I believe he starts out as the most popular SWF worker. In my game, both were pretty protected - they lost rarely and almost never to workers below them. I would say the win-loss ratio was about 6-to-1 or 8-to-1. But they did lose. Giving either a Goldberg push could have negative consequences, I think. But I didn't notice any negative trends. By memory, either might somtimes complain about losing to someone on equal footing or slightly below, but I don't think it ever affected their morale.

One worker who did complain about losing and have it affect their morale was Rocky Golden. He started out about B- when I signed him from TCW and he hit A* very quickly - faster than intended. He never that protected, so he lost more often than the likes of Frehley and Remo, with few of his wins coming aginst top opposition. Yet he would regularly have morale issues over how often he lost. Six TV wins in a row would be followed by a PPV loss to someone clearly above him - like Faith - and Golden would have a morale drop about losing too often. I never looked close enough to see if he starts out with some character issues or they developed because he moved up so quickly.

In regards to the win-loss ratio, I would probably be more careful with workers who start further down the card and/or younger. For example, in my TCW game, I'm targeting about a 1-1 ratio with Wolf Hawkins. Maybe even more losses than wins, at least for the first year or two. Once he hits the 24-25 range, like Remo and Frehley, I expect to not really have an issue giving him a similar treatment to them.

This has been a big problem for me. I love to build my younger stars and turn them into my main event. First i took Harry Smith and built it to the point it took about a year to make him main event but now he is a huge disruption backstage.

I did the same with Reid Flair but he is a minor disruption but refuses to lose to almost everyone, probably because he is my most over star. I had him build with Nick Hogan and although Hogan has not achieved as much he has recently become quite a disruption since i had him go solo.

Teddy Hart was becoming quite bad so i bumped him back down the card a bit and it seems to have shut him up.

I have Blade & Dallas Hart coming through the ranks and though they are getting hugely over with their performances they havent given me any trouble ... yet.

If a worker is an asshat (even a borderline one) before you Jesus push him/her, they'll be more of an asshat at the end of that Jesus push. You could push Melody Cuthill to the moon and she'd still be a positive influence backstage. The same might be true for DWN. It's what gives true value to workers who are level headed and good people, as well as being talented (and might even tip the scales if they're nice and not loaded with all the skill and talent in the world).

/nod.

The amount of impact can be significant, but it won't 180 a person. The standard "youngster" personality is a bit of an asshat though to begin with. Usually naive, mercenary and some other stuff that makes them very susceptible to becoming full-blown ass clowns if they get mega-pushed.

DWN will be a class act no matter how you push him.

Archived