I'll start on the TEW2010 version of this thread. Can't post screenshots, for obvious reasons, but here's a product I've been playing with for a while. I call it Workrate Based Sports Entertainment (or WBSE):

Key Feature - Traditional, Mainstream, Modern

Medium - Realism, Lucha, Daredevil

Everything else at 'none'.

Intensity - 20%

Danger - 40%

Analysis:

- Rated more on performance than popularity

- all workers must be packaged with a gimmick

- fans don't like highly risky gimmicks

- simple gimmicks, fans won't 'get' subtle gimmicks

- fans don't like highly risky angles or matches

- no afternoon TV time slots on some networks

- quite favorable for sponsorship

- immune to industry changes/no young lion code

This is looking to me like an ideal product for 0/0/0 promotions. With skilled workers, you can pump out shows rated at least 2 grades above your bottomed out popularity. With just the unemployed women in the C-Verse (sadly, I can't tell exactly who but none of the big names), I pull off a show rated 49 (D+?) right out the gate. I usually dislike mainstream but I found that most of the gimmicks that seemingly everyone can use (without tight ability level requirements) are simple, so it works better than my normal Cult with subtle gimmicks (that require workers to have 'Medium' or better in some categories). Also, since overness is usually easier to improve than in-ring skill, having a performance skewed product with lots of popularity influence allows me to cherry pick a lot more and grow more organically.

Just food for thought. :)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really surprised by how well the product works. Looks similar to my Traditional Grab Bag product that I created and used in my TEW 108 diary only yours has a block on afternoon TV time slots. If you have the time, I would love to know how well my product of choice does in 2010.

I'll start on the TEW2010 version of this thread. Can't post screenshots, for obvious reasons...

With just the unemployed women in the C-Verse (sadly, I can't tell exactly who but none of the big names)...

Just food for thought. :)

Congratulations, Remi, before reading this post I didn't think I COULD be more jealous of the developmental team.

I was wrong. :mad::mad::mad:

(But wil still try your product out when I get the game. :) )

I think I like the idea of this product better then the other one you showed us previously. I know I haven't commented on this before, but I have used your products in promotions I used starting at nothing/nothing.

Anyways, if it works as you say, bravo, as I think this could translate into an entertainment product a bit more easily, and hopefully these are taken into consideration in 2010 as well. Meaning, that small changes to your product don't lose your fans as much as drastic changes. I probably will give this a try with 2010 right off the bat, and probably work out a product I eventually want to run and figure out how many steps I will need to get there from this (going slowly, by changing after a few months of rising in size).

As someone that is new to this "Pimpin Products" thing, i've just got a couple of questions for Remi or anyone that can help.

I'm assuming that 0/0/0 is a brand new fed, is that right?

Do you change or tinker the product if you take over a bigger company like TCW or SWF (coz i never have)? So in essence if you take over SWF do you run with their product for realism or take the view that you are now in charge so the product will be how i want it?

Also being new to this i have no idea what does what. I have just read the 08 help file and i think i get an overview but if i gave an overview of how i wanted my company would people on this board be able to help me work it out using the TEW settings?

add a little hyper realism and watch your fed really take off. I think with hyper realism though your fans wont like risky matches which defeats the purpose of Key feature: modern.

Nice product.

Hyper Realism isn't needed to do that and adding it brings its own issues. For increased risk tolerance, there are other product features that can accomplish that without bringing hybrid into the mix. Cult, Risque, Hardcore, all add risk tolerance in various ways (gimmicks, angles, matches, respectively, as a rule of thumb).

I'm assuming that 0/0/0 is a brand new fed, is that right?

Yes. Or an existing fed brought down to that level (like I often do with QAW or WINNOW).

Do you change or tinker the product if you take over a bigger company like TCW or SWF (coz i never have)? So in essence if you take over SWF do you run with their product for realism or take the view that you are now in charge so the product will be how i want it?

Well, I think I've played SWF twice in 08 (few more than that in 2010) and I didn't change the product at all in 08. I like TCW's product so I don't usually tinker too much with it. Same with NOTBPW. I usually don't take over existing, active promotions and revamp their products since I think each promotion exists for a reason (speaking of the C-Verse here). There are exceptions, of course, like it's always (ALWAYS) crazy tempting to revamp NYCW's product.

Also being new to this i have no idea what does what. I have just read the 08 help file and i think i get an overview but if i gave an overview of how i wanted my company would people on this board be able to help me work it out using the TEW settings?

Here's what it comes down to. First, you learn basically what each product feature does. Often, it's common sense (Hardcore, Lucha Libre) on the surface but then you go deeper. If you figure out what kind of shows you want to put on and what kind of workers you want to use, then it becomes easier to tailor a product to that. Like, if you know that Traditional is the typical face vs heel thing with angles and storylines and strong in-ring focus, that's a good place to start (and where I tend to begin). Sometimes it's easier to just associate with what you're familiar with (Traditional = old school NWA, basically). Then you go on from there.

Some aspects aren't as clear cut so an example might be in order. Pure is like the catch wrestling seen in the UK and Europe. Finlay-Regal at the Bash a few years back was an awesome example of a Pure match (and a reason why WWE's fans chanted 'boring' - WWE doesn't have Pure above say 'Very Low', if any at all). Also consider product type and worker type. Easy to figure what kind of worker shines in a product with Lucha Libre as a key feature but the others aren't as obvious.

A lot of the stuff I do is trial and error, having an idea of what each product feature adds (and subtracts) from the total package. Like, I go heavy on Traditional and Modern and add some Lucha and Daredevil because that works to the strengths of most women in the C-Verse (who tend to skew heavily to Cruiserweight and aerial styles). In simplest terms, think of Modern as 'early TNA X-Division'. There's actually an X-Division promotion in the C-Verse (WINNOW). In TEW, Modern equates to 'spot monkey style match pace' so Traditional tends to add balance (and sense) to the equation.

Hyper Realism isn't needed to do that and adding it brings its own issues. For increased risk tolerance, there are other product features that can accomplish that without bringing hybrid into the mix. Cult, Risque, Hardcore, all add risk tolerance in various ways (gimmicks, angles, matches, respectively, as a rule of thumb).

Yes. Or an existing fed brought down to that level (like I often do with QAW or WINNOW).

Well, I think I've played SWF twice in 08 (few more than that in 2010) and I didn't change the product at all in 08. I like TCW's product so I don't usually tinker too much with it. Same with NOTBPW. I usually don't take over existing, active promotions and revamp their products since I think each promotion exists for a reason (speaking of the C-Verse here). There are exceptions, of course, like it's always (ALWAYS) crazy tempting to revamp NYCW's product.

Here's what it comes down to. First, you learn basically what each product feature does. Often, it's common sense (Hardcore, Lucha Libre) on the surface but then you go deeper. If you figure out what kind of shows you want to put on and what kind of workers you want to use, then it becomes easier to tailor a product to that. Like, if you know that Traditional is the typical face vs heel thing with angles and storylines and strong in-ring focus, that's a good place to start (and where I tend to begin). Sometimes it's easier to just associate with what you're familiar with (Traditional = old school NWA, basically). Then you go on from there.

Some aspects aren't as clear cut so an example might be in order. Pure is like the catch wrestling seen in the UK and Europe. Finlay-Regal at the Bash a few years back was an awesome example of a Pure match (and a reason why WWE's fans chanted 'boring' - WWE doesn't have Pure above say 'Very Low', if any at all). Also consider product type and worker type. Easy to figure what kind of worker shines in a product with Lucha Libre as a key feature but the others aren't as obvious.

A lot of the stuff I do is trial and error, having an idea of what each product feature adds (and subtracts) from the total package. Like, I go heavy on Traditional and Modern and add some Lucha and Daredevil because that works to the strengths of most women in the C-Verse (who tend to skew heavily to Cruiserweight and aerial styles). In simplest terms, think of Modern as 'early TNA X-Division'. There's actually an X-Division promotion in the C-Verse (WINNOW). In TEW, Modern equates to 'spot monkey style match pace' so Traditional tends to add balance (and sense) to the equation.

Wow thanks!

So if i wanted strong Face vs Heel feuds but didn't really care for gimmicks that much and wanted that kinda "Go all out in every match" that ECW used to provide. I'd go with Traditional, Modern and daredevil... or anything else?

Wow thanks!

So if i wanted strong Face vs Heel feuds but didn't really care for gimmicks that much and wanted that kinda "Go all out in every match" that ECW used to provide. I'd go with Traditional, Modern and daredevil... or anything else?

Key traditional, medium modern, medium daredevil would get you 'rated more on performance', won't care about gimmicks, prevent Afternoon TV slots on some networks, favourable towards sponsorship and lets you not be rocked by industry changes - looks pretty good to me.

If you wanted to put realism in there as medium, it would make it 'rated much more on performance', but mean that you couldn't use cheap finishes or highly risky angles, and make getting sponsorship a little tough. Either of them sounds pretty good for the product you were talking about, depending on whether you wanted to be able to have overbooked stuff and run-ins.

Key traditional, medium modern, medium daredevil would get you 'rated more on performance', won't care about gimmicks, prevent Afternoon TV slots on some networks, favourable towards sponsorship and lets you not be rocked by industry changes - looks pretty good to me.

If you wanted to put realism in there as medium, it would make it 'rated much more on performance', but mean that you couldn't use cheap finishes or highly risky angles, and make getting sponsorship a little tough. Either of them sounds pretty good for the product you were talking about, depending on whether you wanted to be able to have overbooked stuff and run-ins.

daredevil doesnt effect anything. Go play with your editor more.

sounds like you accidently changed pure instead of daredevil actually.

? I was responding to the post made by gnrfan, which I quoted, where he asked about using traditional, modern and daredevil.

On a side note, daredevil DOES affect something - it brings in the note about TV. Gnrfan, you might want to just use traditional, modern and/or realism for the product you were asking about.

? I was responding to the post made by gnrfan, which I quoted, where he asked about using traditional, modern and daredevil.

On a side note, daredevil DOES affect something - it brings in the note about TV. Gnrfan, you might want to just use traditional, modern and/or realism for the product you were asking about.

Ah i thought you were talking specifically about daredevil not liking gimmicks and being performance based.

daredevil doesnt effect anything. Go play with your editor more.

Take your own advice. There isn't a single product feature that "doesn't affect anything". Not one. I can assure you that with daredevil in large amounts, you'll tend to have more use for your medical section (over time). Especially at National and above (when you'd typically be running multiple shows per week). So if you want to hear lots of Joey Styles' "OH MY GAWD!" (and the aftermath of such), more daredevil would be in order.

Are you actually only talking theory or have you actually played with the products you're suggesting? Anyone who has played with a product with hyper realism in decent amounts would know it's not really something that works to your favor most of the time (unless you're based in Japan and have access to a good number of workers who can work that style).

Jaded's suggestion is a good start. I'd say add some Cult, Risque, and Lucha to taste to get the overall balance you're looking for. Remember that the in-ring product isn't the only thing you're designing for. You also want to consider the out of ring stuff (angles, TV fit, risk level, and worker tolerances. Super high danger and intensity isn't a good idea if your people are brittle and gassed after 10 minutes of work).

Take your own advice. There isn't a single product feature that "doesn't affect anything". Not one. I can assure you that with daredevil in large amounts, you'll tend to have more use for your medical section (over time). Especially at National and above (when you'd typically be running multiple shows per week). So if you want to hear lots of Joey Styles' "OH MY GAWD!" (and the aftermath of such), more daredevil would be in order.

Are you actually only talking theory or have you actually played with the products you're suggesting? Anyone who has played with a product with hyper realism in decent amounts would know it's not really something that works to your favor most of the time (unless you're based in Japan and have access to a good number of workers who can work that style).

Jaded's suggestion is a good start. I'd say add some Cult, Risque, and Lucha to taste to get the overall balance you're looking for. Remember that the in-ring product isn't the only thing you're designing for. You also want to consider the out of ring stuff (angles, TV fit, risk level, and worker tolerances. Super high danger and intensity isn't a good idea if your people are brittle and gassed after 10 minutes of work).

I was talking data notes. daredevil doesnt cause any data notes to come up besides tv.

And I run a Key feature Modern, Heavy feature cult/risque/hardcore and medium realism/hyper realism and it works wonders.

Jaded's suggestion is a good start.

Thanks!

Quick question, Remi - I seem to recall seeing somewhere that in feds rating performance higher than popularity, high intensity raises match grades (through looking more realistic), with the trade-off being that it drains stamina more, as you referred to. Is the raising match levels thing true, or am I imagining it?

Thanks!

Quick question, Remi - I seem to recall seeing somewhere that in feds rating performance higher than popularity, high intensity raises match grades (through looking more realistic), with the trade-off being that it drains stamina more, as you referred to. Is the raising match levels thing true, or am I imagining it?

It is. It also causes fans to **** on wrestlers with low intensity like Teddy Powell if you have a vocal crowd. Maybe even if you dont.

It is. It also causes fans to **** on wrestlers with low intensity like Teddy Powell if you have a vocal crowd. Maybe even if you dont.

Hmm, haven't seen the pooping on low intensity worker thing ever. Even the dirt sheet doesn't note it so I'm kinda inclined to think it doesn't exist (plus or minus). I think there's more to it, personally. I'll have to dig a bit. As you might expect, running a women's promotion basically means low intensity workers by and large so that's something I need to look into.

Hmm, haven't seen the pooping on low intensity worker thing ever. Even the dirt sheet doesn't note it so I'm kinda inclined to think it doesn't exist (plus or minus). I think there's more to it, personally. I'll have to dig a bit. As you might expect, running a women's promotion basically means low intensity workers by and large so that's something I need to look into.

Think its the same E (E+) or lower like psych. I dunno, maybe there is more to it then intensity but why else would Teddy Powell be booed?

Im using TEW08 too while your using 10. Dunno if that really makes a difference. I'll play around with it tonight and give you the product setting that Powell gets booed in so you can toy around with it.

Archived