North American Maps

Kentucky is a varied state as much as people want to believe we are all rednecks and barefoot.

The extreme southeast and eastern parts of Kentucky(the mountains) are very country and somewhat backwards to anyone used to modern living. The people there are born there and live there until they die. The like it that way and the slow pace of living.

The "bigger" cities of Lexington and Louisville are quite a bit different while not truly being big cities. Northern Kentucky up near Cincinnati is like Lex/Lou are. Still not big city style, but not country at all. Western Kentucky, I don't know about as I've never been that way.

Northern Kentucky University is in the Great Lakes Valley Conference for sports.

Who said people in Kentucky are rednecks and barefoot? Or are you putting your generalizations of Southerners out there for us?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with you GDE that Kentucky is a varied state. We all are. Every state has its rednecks and every state has its city dwellers. And they all have people that can be anywhere in between. I just want to point out that Kentucky is considered a southern state by the US Census Bureau. I personally feel it would be better placed in either the Mid-Atlantic or South East.

I grew up in one of the more populated places in West Virginia and it certainly fit some stereotypes...but now I live on the coast in Florida and if you go to the central part of this state it's much like W.V. without the hills. Point is stereotypes exists, but they don't group together geographically as much as you'd think.

As for Kentucky, my mom is from Lexington but I haven't seen much of the state besides that. My feeling would be either South East or Mid Atlantic...but that's just how it feels. Anyways, I've never heard debates about classifying states into regions besides census reasons for the government . But here, I think it's used as a convient way to break down the United States without having a 50 state mess in TEW...it's not supposed to be used as a geography lesson. The regions seem fine to me...nothing is so outrageously wrong that I think it deserves fixing.

I agree with you GDE that Kentucky is a varied state. We all are. Every state has its rednecks and every state has its city dwellers. And they all have people that can be anywhere in between. I just want to point out that Kentucky is considered a southern state by the US Census Bureau. I personally feel it would be better placed in either the Mid-Atlantic or South East.

Yeah I got to agree with that as well. I live in Rhode Island and we have rednecks up here as well. And with only four states above us I think it is safe to say that Rhode Island is far from the South but like I said we still got our rednecks up here.

Shouldn't deciding what cities and states are where be completely based off the locations file in the Cornellverse and not what our opinions are about real life geographical cultures?

According to that, Kentucky is Great Lakes

Louisiana is South East

Kentucky in Great Lakes makes no sense to me but that's how Adam put it.

I can't remember where it was posted, but I'm sure Adam mentioned that regions are divided geographically, not politically/culturally. So Kentucky goes with the Great Lakes for no other reasons then 'it looks right' and 'its close to the Great Lakes'.

Also, I had time today, so the first post is updated with Japan now. Enjoy!

I was born in Kentucky.

I've lived in Kentucky 29 of the 43 years I've been alive.

I currently live in Kentucky. The population of the town I live in is approximately 4800.

I have family that lives in extreme southeast Kentucky. I love them and don't you mess with them, but they are a different type of person than "city" folk. The lifestyle is a LOT slower and they like it that way.

As for the region discussion, Kentucky borders 3 states that touch a Great Lake while it borders 1 state that touches the Atlantic Ocean.

Guest deathcroc

This discussion has made me think, "why shoehorn a whole state into one category"?

If SE Kentucky is more "southeast" than "great lakes", then put those locations in southeast and then the locations in the northern parts of the state fit into the Great Lakes area.

Much like many states fall into two different time zones, then locations in a state could fall into two different TEW location areas.

No offence to Adam, but I'm assuming that he didn't have first hand knowledge of where those vague, and oft disputed, lines between cultures are, and therefore had to go by something when assigning areas for the US - that being state borders.

This discussion has made me think, "why shoehorn a whole state into one category"?

If SE Kentucky is more "southeast" than "great lakes", then put those locations in southeast and then the locations in the northern parts of the state fit into the Great Lakes area.

Much like many states fall into two different time zones, then locations in a state could fall into two different TEW location areas.

No offence to Adam, but I'm assuming that he didn't have first hand knowledge of where those vague, and oft disputed, lines between cultures are, and therefore had to go by something when assigning areas for the US - that being state borders.

I think thats entirely too much complexity for locations. I really see no need to divide states. There are enough locations the way it is do we really need to split states? About the only time this map even matters is when your playing a historical mod thats about the only time when the type of fan you encounter in each territory is drastically different from another. Even then its not like east Kentucky liked one kind of match and west Kentucky liked it another.

People that are not fans of the series now complain with how in depth and complex the game is compared to its earlier incarnations. Thats going to be even more of a case with TEW 10 and yet people still find a way to make seemingly the most minor things into even more unnecessarily complicated things.

Thanks, only one small thing I noticed since I'm from Missouri. You listed cities, and you have Kansas City as part of Kansas, which puts it in another region. The main part where wrestling shows are put on is actually in Missouri, so that could throw things off if you wanted to run a show there.

While this is true (when you fly into MCI, you're in MISSOURI, not Kansas), I don't think there's a way to really fix it.

And GDE's point makes me laugh since it underlines the misconceptions inherent with certain regions/states in the US (and in the UK as well, but to a different degree). Tell people you're from New York and an image forms in their mind. Tell 'em you're from West Virginia or Kentucky and a completely different image forms ('Deliverance'-esque probably) which might be as far from the truth as the New York image can be (we have country/backwoods folks in this state too :p).

But those maps are awesome! Thanks for doing them :)

Ok, I don't have a map, but I guess this would be a good place to post it, forgive me if I've missed any countries out (although I'm sure I haven't) or if you think they should be in another area.

Europe

Central Europe:

Austria

Belgium

Czech Republic

Germany

Netherlands

Poland

Switzerland

Scandinavia:

Denmark

Finland

Iceland

Norway

Sweden

Mediterranean:

France

Greece

Italy

Portugal

Spain

Eastern Europe:

Albania

Belarus

Bosnia & Herzegovina

Bulgaria

Croatia

Estonia

F.Y.R.O. Macedonia

Hungary

Latvia

Lithuania

Montenegro

Romania

Russia

Serbia

Slovakia

Slovenia

Serbia

Montenegro

It's not 1992 any more dude, come on... :p They became The Union State Of Serbia And Montenegro in 1992, and then separated into two countries in 2006.

Otherwise though, pretty much spot on.

Whoops, I must have been working from a really out of date map! I'll fix that.

I had made a thread a while ago about some maps and D-Lyrium came up with these ones, figured they would help

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/EkimNosneb/TEWUKMap.jpghttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/EkimNosneb/TEWAUSMap.jpg

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about those. See, once upon a time I contributed to the community in a meaningful fashion. :D The lack of towns/cities/counties/territories probably renders them quite useless unless you're already familiar with where stuff is, but I'm sure dse will find them useful in making a proper map. Or maybe not, since they're both (Australia especially) a bit common-sense.

Yea I thought about that, this might be easier

http://www.singlesdatinguk.com/images/uk_map_cities2.GIF

Orange is North.

Purple, Yellow and Green are Midlands (sorry, Welsh people).

Pink and horrible brown colour (what are you trying to say about my region, bastards?) is South.

Australia, like Canada, is fairly conveniently divided up in real life:

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.co.uk/time-zone/australia/_derived/map.htm_txt_australia-map.gif

Green is Western.

Pink and... darker Pink are Central.

Orange, Yellow and Blue are Eastern, where all the people actually live.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I've been playing Death of the Territories as NWA: Chattanooga. There are only 4 Very Small locations in South East, and 1 of those doesn't have much of a fanbase, so I've been running shows in the other 3. But when it comes time to record the results, I may write that the show was held in some town in Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana or Ohio. There's no real need to change the maps or areas from my perspective. Thanks for everyone contributing maps!

logically it is considered the southeast in reality.

although the game does consider it the great lakes area. which i have no problem with. atleast it makes sense....

although, louisiana should be apart of the mid south and so should arkansas. i live in north east texas near the texas/arkansas/la border and it is commonly referred to as the mid south area of the us. i believe bill watts of Mid South Wrestling fame would frequently tour Louisiana with his "Mid South" territory.

but i do see what u mean with the south east becoming way smaller if arkansas and louisiana go to the mid south region. although i do seriously doubt colorado is considered mid south. but therein lies the problem. when breaking up states into territories, certain border states could play a role in more than one area. and thats what i like to believe when i am playing. if im in arkansas i picture it as the blending area of the southeast and mid south and realistically anyone who promoted there would have an unquestionable affect on both the south east and mid south.

just my two cents.

• 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived