The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Stennick

I tried to watch Asteroid City last night and just could not get into it. From what I've read its a retro setting in the mid 50's, its sci fi, it has Tom Hanks. The picture looked great they did a great job with the colors I just was bored of the story about 30 minutes in. I'll try to revisit down the road but man I was bummed. 

Ahh yesss. More movie discussions! Asteroid City is on my short list. I was hoping for the retro sci fi feeling. I've enjoyed the two Anderson movies I've seen, Fantastic Mr Fox and Isle of Dogs. I thought they were terrific. Hopefully I have better luck with Asteroid City than you did. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ninja Turtles was pure magic. Seeing it again next week. I cannot wait for the eventual sequel. My eyes were glued to the screen the entire duration. I was a few weeks from turning 4 years old when Secret of the Ooze came out and my earliest memory is seeing it at the drive in with my Mom and Dad. There was a guy in a fuzzy Raphael costume at the drive in and I thought in my child brain it was the real Raph. The guy in the suit had a good Raph impression though at least. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 9:36 PM, Jaysin said:

Ninja Turtles was pure magic. Seeing it again next week. I cannot wait for the eventual sequel. My eyes were glued to the screen the entire duration. I was a few weeks from turning 4 years old when Secret of the Ooze came out and my earliest memory is seeing it at the drive in with my Mom and Dad. There was a guy in a fuzzy Raphael costume at the drive in and I thought in my child brain it was the real Raph. The guy in the suit had a good Raph impression though at least. 

My cousin and myself were obsessed with the 87 Turtles cartoon and when the movie came out it was like a religious experience for us. (even if the farm scenes kind of drag that film down for a 8 year old kid and were likely put there to placate adults with expanding on the April/Casey relationship). I think I prefered the Secret to the Ooze and I disliked Turtles 3 all together. I enjoyed the 2007 movies and the last two movies as well so I'm looking forward to this. 

37 minutes ago, Stennick said:

My cousin and myself were obsessed with the 87 Turtles cartoon and when the movie came out it was like a religious experience for us. (even if the farm scenes kind of drag that film down for a 8 year old kid and were likely put there to placate adults with expanding on the April/Casey relationship). I think I prefered the Secret to the Ooze and I disliked Turtles 3 all together. I enjoyed the 2007 movies and the last two movies as well so I'm looking forward to this. 

They made some SERIOUS changes to Splinter, but Jackie Chan was so good in the role that I didn't even care. He brought love, kindness, and gravitas to the role. One of the best parts of the movie is the turtles actually act and sound like young teenagers for once. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Blue Beetle this week and it's easily the best DC film since The Batman. So much fun, heart, love, action, and fantastic special effects. Wasn't perfect, but it sets up some cool stuff going forward. Really happy Gunn is keeping Xolo on as a Jaime because he was great. The post-credit scene sets up a sequel.

2 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Saw Blue Beetle this week and it's easily the best DC film since The Batman. So much fun, heart, love, action, and fantastic special effects. Wasn't perfect, but it sets up some cool stuff going forward. Really happy Gunn is keeping Xolo on as a Jaime because he was great. The post-credit scene sets up a sequel.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Whoa!
How did I not know there was a Blue Beetle film? I'm assuming it's Jaime Reyes and not Ted Kord, but does that mean there's hope for a Booster Gold film!?

8 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Whoa!
How did I not know there was a Blue Beetle film? I'm assuming it's Jaime Reyes and not Ted Kord, but does that mean there's hope for a Booster Gold film!?

It's Jaime in the movie and it was awesome. Without going into spoilers, Ted is still a very important part of the plot. Also, Gunn confirmed a few months back that a Booster Gold series was in the works. 

Gunn has been one of my favorite filmmakers since Slither and watching him grow from indie horror director to co-head of a studio has been a treat. 

I will say, this movie is disconnected from previous DCEU movies. Other heroes are mentioned, but not shown. Hopefully going to go see it again. Really hoping the drive in does Ninja Turtles and  Blue Beetle.

2 hours ago, Jaysin said:

It's Jaime in the movie and it was awesome. Without going into spoilers, Ted is still a very important part of the plot. Also, Gunn confirmed a few months back that a Booster Gold series was in the works. 

yes-mr-bison.gif

I adore Booster Gold so much. Between that and it being confirmed that All-Star Superman is a big influence on the next Superman movie, I'm finally hopefully for DC stuff that doesn't involve Batman!

26 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

yes-mr-bison.gif

I adore Booster Gold so much. Between that and it being confirmed that All-Star Superman is a big influence on the next Superman movie, I'm finally hopefully for DC stuff that doesn't involve Batman!

Ted Kord and Booster are one of my fave bromances in comic history. They are just so fun 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 3:36 AM, Jaysin said:

I still have the framed 3 ft movie poster from the 1990 TMNT movie up on my wall In the "nerd cave". I loved Turtles as a kid so may see if I can steal my cousins kids to "take them" to watch it at the cinema. 😆 To be fair, even as an adult I still love TMNT.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fleisch said:

I still have the framed 3 ft movie poster from the 1990 TMNT movie up on my wall In the "nerd cave". I loved Turtles as a kid so may see if I can steal my cousins kids to "take them" to watch it at the cinema. 😆 To be fair, even as an adult I still love TMNT.

The theater was packed with seemingly all ages. It was such a good experience. Made me feel like a kid all over again. I can't decide who stole the show more, Ice Cube or Jackie Chan, but everyone is great. 

• 1 month later...

I don't know anything about the franchise, but I watched the Five Nights at Freddy's movie with my boy tonight and it was a very solid movie. The reviews were tearing it to shreds, but my boy is obsessed with the entire FNAF world and he adored it. I really liked the cast for the most part. I guess there's rumors of a Rated R or Unrated cut? I'd like to see that as they really held back on the more intense horror stuff and it kind of hindered the final product I felt. I do hope it gets a sequel though and it's made almost twice it's budget despite being on Peacock and theaters. 

My partner isn't a horror fan, but she's giving them a shot because of how much I love them. I'm trying to show her the funnier and campy stuff instead of the intense gore or psychological stuff. Of the stuff I've showed her, she really liked Tucker and Dale vs Evil. I think it's impossible not to like that movie though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 4:31 PM, Jaysin said:

Gunn has been one of my favorite filmmakers since Slither and watching him grow from indie horror director to co-head of a studio has been a treat. 

I will say, this movie is disconnected from previous DCEU movies. Other heroes are mentioned, but not shown. Hopefully going to go see it again. Really hoping the drive in does Ninja Turtles and  Blue Beetle.

Millie was a useless character in the movie. Beyond annoying. Simultaneously entitled and playing the victim card. If this was real life, she's the kind of immigrant that gives immigrants a bad rep. I have never enjoyed George Lopez as an actor (if we can call what he does acting). That said, the movie was enjoyable overall. Grandma steals the scenes she's in. She's pretty awesome.

Showed my boy Ernest Scared Stupid tonight and it went over real well. Good to know that Jim Varney still has the magic even when kids have all this technology at their hands. He's only 10, but he's beginning to develop an interest in horror thanks to Five Nights at Freddy's. Looking for kid friendly horror/spooky movies/shows. We are going to watch the classic Goosebumps show, the Jack Black movies, and the new series on D+ when we have time, but any other suggestions? 

He has a fairly good grasp on what's real versus movie magic, but my parents introduced me to horror pretty much and I don't want to show him anything that's going to scar him like Fire in the Sky did to me. 😂

• 4 weeks later...

Saw Godzilla Minus One last night and holy moly, what a masterpiece. My 10 year old hates non-English speaking movies because he has issues with subtitles, but he loved this one. 

I need to show him the MonsterVerse movies, just nervous the 2014 might bore him before we get to the more action packed ones.

I just got home myself from seeing Godzilla Minus one and I’m having trouble finding words to properly express my feelings and I mean that in the best way. No hyperbole it is easily one of the best movies of the year hell probably one of the best movies of the last 5 years. Please please please don’t let any preconceived notions of what a Godzilla movie is keep you from seeing this film. 

I wish I didn't hate going to the theater, because it's going to be hell waiting for Godzilla Minus One to come out on streaming platforms. I had a feeling it was going to be good once I saw the director cite GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack as one of the main influences. Any kaiju movie directed by Shusuke Kaneko is a fantastic starting place for your Godzilla script.

22 hours ago, guyver3 said:

I just got home myself from seeing Godzilla Minus one and I’m having trouble finding words to properly express my feelings and I mean that in the best way. No hyperbole it is easily one of the best movies of the year hell probably one of the best movies of the last 5 years. Please please please don’t let any preconceived notions of what a Godzilla movie is keep you from seeing this film. 

My only complaint, and this is very minor, is Godzilla's eyes looked lifeless. 

21 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

I wish I didn't hate going to the theater, because it's going to be hell waiting for Godzilla Minus One to come out on streaming platforms. I had a feeling it was going to be good once I saw the director cite GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack as one of the main influences. Any kaiju movie directed by Shusuke Kaneko is a fantastic starting place for your Godzilla script.

I can't say enough good things about Minus One. It might be the best Godzilla movie ever and I have been obsessed with Godzilla my entire life. Goji 54 is a masterpiece, but Minus One is just as good

46 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

My only complaint, and this is very minor, is Godzilla's eyes looked lifeless. 

I can't say enough good things about Minus One. It might be the best Godzilla movie ever and I have been obsessed with Godzilla my entire life. Goji 54 is a masterpiece, but Minus One is just as good

I didn’t get that feeling myself but my only nit pick is the roar. It doesn’t have to be exactly like the OG but I think legendary did a better job with the roar. That being said what they did give us in no way is bad or diminished my enjoyment. 

• 2 months later...

Anyone But You, a modern retelling of Much Ado About Nothing (by the same director of Easy A) was an empty calorie movie, filled with situations created to get pretty people in various states of undress. It was nothing special, but largely inoffensive quality-wise. If 90s-00s type RomComs are in your wheelhouse, give it a shot.

15 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

Man, I want to give this movie a chance because Bill Skarsgard is a good actor, but Jared Leto Joker crossed with DMC reboot Dante is making it really hard to hope for a good Crow reboot.

I read a blurb of an interview with the director where he said Bill's look is inspired by the celebrities popular with Gen Z and that really put things into perspective. This movie isn't meant for me, it's meant for the kids discovering themselves just like I was when I saw The Crow as a kid. I'm still going to give it a shot because I'm a sucker for Bill and even the mostly garbage Crow sequels have good elements.