The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Stennick

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Shang Chi. I liked it more than most of the Marvel movies I've seen recently. I think. It's not a hot take to say these things are all very similar, and this one shares a lot of the issues I had with Black Panther/Black Widow/Captain Marvel etc. Big CG finish with no heart. Too many side characters pushing the lead to the side. Unclear/no real arc for the main character. Magic weapons. A lot of the fantastical elements are shot so matter-of-factly too. I miss Steven Spielberg look-of-awe reaction shots when seeing amazing things.

But the action in the first half was exactly my cup of tea. I forgot how much I liked martial arts movies. I'm looking forward to seeing Shang Chi (and Katy) show up in further movies. Which is another running theme. "This movie was fine... but I can't wait for their next movie!".

Watched Shang Chi. I liked it more than most of the Marvel movies I've seen recently. I think. It's not a hot take to say these things are all very similar, and this one shares a lot of the issues I had with Black Panther/Black Widow/Captain Marvel etc. Big CG finish with no heart. Too many side characters pushing the lead to the side. Unclear/no real arc for the main character. Magic weapons. A lot of the fantastical elements are shot so matter-of-factly too. I miss Steven Spielberg look-of-awe reaction shots when seeing amazing things.

But the action in the first half was exactly my cup of tea. I forgot how much I liked martial arts movies. I'm looking forward to seeing Shang Chi (and Katy) show up in further movies. Which is another running theme. "This movie was fine... but I can't wait for their next movie!".

The last couple movies (Shang Chi and Eternals), I think maybe expectations are too high. The storytelling has never been that great when they move outside of the comics story.

My expectations on these movies are the same as they were with Thor, GoTG, Ant-Man, etc. These are introduction movies that are setting up something bigger, although they try to give us a decent origin story of how they become who they are. The next time we see them, they will be almost or totally full powered. My biggest gripe of Shang Chi is those are bracelets not rings (rings in the comics). I figure there is bigger reason they went this way, as they do changes from what I expect quite often, but have a way of keeping their personalities (or giving them better ones) to make them more interesting then their comic counterparts. I'm not going to get into the big "woke" type pushes they been saying and doing, as I believe the good parts of that will shine through and the bad ones will be corrected like they have done all along (no matter which way they went).

They're still rings even if they don't go on your fingers because well, they're literal rings

I just finished Shang Chi and found it to be very entertaining.

I'm hoping they find a way to use Wenwu more as he's one of the MCU's most developed villains and it would be a shame if he's a one and done.

The movie version of the rings take their design from iron rings, metal bands associated with Chinese martial arts. I can't remember which Gordon Liu film it was (I want to say 36th Chamber) but it opens with him showing off multiple weapons he's proficient with, including iron rings, plus a few other kung fu movies have scenes where the hero trains with them. This became good as visual shorthand for "this guy punches really hard" in Hong Kong cinema (and I believe some anime as well). I think this was a (probably accidental considering the massive dump on Chinese culture that was the Mulan remake) brilliant change. Considering as well that The Mandarin was originally created as Stan Lee's take on the Fu Manchu, "Yellow Peril" caricature, leaving the rings as finger jewelry leaves part of that "exotic evil from the Far East" stereotypical design intact, while a simple change to iron rings helps further ground the setting in Chinese culture to those who are familiar.

Sorry for that wall of text. I actually knew something about a topic for once and just kept typing.

Batista has been one of the most pleasant acting surprises of the last decade. He's become such a great actor that I actually get excited for a movie if he's been cast in it.

On the topic of great acting, I highly recommend Drive if you haven't already seen it. I don't know if it's just because of Ryan Gosling or what, but Drive and Blade Runner 2049 almost feel like companion films.

I definitely agree on Batista being a pleasant surprise. There's a project being shopped around featuring Batista and Jason Mamoa in a buddy action flick. There was a bidding war going on for it. Not sure where it landed, if anywhere yet. I'm rather excited though.

I haven't seen Drive, but I'll change that in the near future.

Oh, those two would be great for a buddy cop movie! Those two are already seriously tempting me to get AppleTV+ just to watch See (also Ted Lasso). Not to mention that it'd be a great break from current trend where apparently all action comedies must star The Rock, Kevin Hart, Ryan Reynolds or some combo of the three.

I love all three, but yeah it does seem that's the trend right now. I have enjoyed the majority of their recent releases though. I'm also considering AppleTV+ for Ted Lasso and See!

• 2 weeks later...
Red Notice seems like the kind of movie I'd enjoy, but the history nerd part of my brain won't let me ignore the fact the jeweled eggs only date back to the 19th century AND they're meant to represent Easter. It's like if the sequel involves stealing the StairMaster of Charlemagne. Actually, I might watch that lol

You definitely need to turn your brain off for Red Notice. It doesn't hide that it's ridiculous and stupid. It's just fun as hell.

Same with Ryan Reynolds other semi recent Netflix movie 6 Underground which was balls to the wall dumb as hell, but so so fun.

I don't really feel any hype towards The Rock movies anymore. Dude's charismatic as hell, but he plays the same character every movie. And I don't really enjoy Gal Gadot either, so that's 2/3 main characters. Keep in mind I'm not that critical at all :p

On a positive note, I got tickets to watch NWH on both the 15th and the 17th. It's the movie I'm most hyped about outside of GotG Vol. 3 in 2023.

<p>I watched Upgrade tonight and it was phenomenal. I'm a sucker for anything in the cyberpunk genre, but adding action, horror, and dark humor to it is a recipe for greatness. </p><p> </p><p>

It's like a modernized take on the original RoboCop and I mean that in the best way possible.</p>

<p>I have been making my way through Taika Waititi's movies and last night I watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople.</p><p> </p><p>

Boy oh boy was it good! Sam Neill is his usual brilliant self and Julian Dennison is hysterical. It made me feel good, sad, and excited at various moments. Can't recommend it enough.</p><p> </p><p>

I only have two of Taika's movies left, Eagle vs Shark and Boy.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Mootinie" data-cite="Mootinie" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25823" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah, Hunt for the Wilderpeople is lovely. I especially liked what Taika brought to Thor: Ragnarok too, it's one of the better entries in the MCU I feel.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Ragnarok actually rubbed me the wrong way a little honestly. I thought it had too much comedy. There's still a lot I enjoy in it, but I just wish the comedy was toned down. Ragnarok the event should be a very big, serious ordeal and yet it was treated like a joke. I love Taika and I think Love & Thunder is going to be amazing, I just wish he had approached Ragnarok a little different is all.</p>

Just finished Kid Who Would Be King and it's very, very good. Might even make my top ten King Arthur related movies list. I'm really sad it failed financially because I doubt it'll get any sequels. Not that they set it up for any, but I could see ways to do a sequel if they chose to.

Andy Serkis's son Louis Ashbourne Serkis is the star and I think he has a super bright future.

*edit*

Just finished the Army of the Dead prequel Army of Thieves and it was incredible. I enjoyed the original quite a bit, but Ludwig was clearly the breakout character so it was nice that he got an origin story. It's a very good heist flick with Ludwig as the main character. He is insanely likable and charismatic in the weirdest way. The final safecracking sequence is pretty intense and fun to watch. If you enjoy heist films, this should be right up your alley.