The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Stennick

It fits between Civil War and Infinity War.

I really would love for each movie to stand alone while still being part of the larger universe. They have chosen to make each movie a vehicle for the next one.

Decided that I'll probably just wait when it's fully free on Disney+, which will probably be 3 months. Fair enough. Apparently, it actually seems to resolve around Belova, which was my favorite (side) character in the series, despite being annoying as hell. Seems she's more of an "ally" in the movie, so we'll see how that plays out.

Meanwhile I've watched the Cap: Winter Soldier movie, which was fine. Accidently, I put on "Falcon & Winter Soldier" first, which was a series and was dated way after that movie. I was like "wth?" and it took me over 15 min. to realise I pressed the wrong button. :p

• 3 weeks later...

<p>If movies could have a child, Jungle Cruise would be the spawn of Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies. It's so damn cheesy, old fashioned, and has likable characters. But most of all, it's just plain old FUN. It harkens back to older adventure movies that didn't rely on convoluted or complex plots. I am a fan of complexity in my stories, but sometimes you just need an escape and Jungle Cruise is a great escape. Not everyone is going to like it, but I'm certainly hoping between Jumanji and Jungle Cruise that there's a revitalization of the adventure film genre. </p><p> </p><p>

I also watched The Suicide Squad and James Gunn is a visionary. What a breathtaking, violent, gory, fun, sweet, action packed MASTERPIECE. I cannot say enough good things about this movie. Gunn's directorial debut Slither showed that he's a fantastic filmmaker, but over the years he's grown so damn much. He is able to take lame characters like Polka Dot Man and Peacemaker and turn them into great characters. Polka Dot Man in particular is a tragic character with a lot of heart played perfectly by the always amazing David Dastmalchian. Even the oversaturated Harley Quinn is done masterfully and in line with comic book incarnations over the years. Gunn understands comic books and how to translate them in all their whackiness to the big screen. </p><p> </p><p>

Also, Idris Elba as Bloodsport is wonderful and has a great character arc. Stallone as King Shark is a delight.</p>

<p>I watched Suicide Squad but it was just decent in my book. You mean the new movie "The SS", but I'm confused why it's not just called SS II. I purchased the comic book series (New52) and the charm was that several of the main characters died, which is kind of the point of the whole arc. In the movie, I can't remember anyone of note dying at all, which bugged me. </p><p> </p><p>

I've also been catching up on the Marvel movies on Disney+ and I actually liked most of them. The most surprising one was Guardians of the Galaxy 2, which had the most emotion. I had zero hype but after going through a series of movies the internet indicated as essential for the Avengers series, the movies do get more interesting. Not enough to hype me into seeing Black Widow in the theater, but it was entertaining. Still need to see Endgame, but I'm sure I got enough background to somehow enjoy it.</p>

<p>Yes I mean the new one. The first one had some promising parts, mostly Margot Robbie, Will Smith, Joel Kinneman, Viola Davis, and Jai Courtney, but as a whole was a mess.</p><p> </p><p>

The new one, important characters die. There's a unique/cool threat/mission. The writing is infinitely better and the direction is better. Then again, James Gunn had creative control and David Ayer didn't. </p><p> </p><p>

The new one might be my favorite comic book movie. It feels like a comic book movie come to life.</p>

In the last couple days I've watched The Nice Guys and Nobody.

The Nice Guys was super, super fun. Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe had a lot of chemistry together and Gosling's high pitched screams were hilarious. Shane Black is such a fun filmmaker. To my knowledge, I don't think I've ever been let down by something he directed. No, not even Iron Man 3. I genuinely enjoyed that.

Nobody was incredible. I had no idea it was written by the writer of John Wick. If I had known that, I probably would have watched it sooner honestly. Because of him, I picked up a movie called The Package starring Stone Cold and Dolph Lundgren. Super excited to check that out after work tonight. If you're a fan of action movies, Nobody will surely please you.

I now second the new Suicide Squad being awesome. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I actually loved it more than Guardians. It felt like I was watching a blockbuster version of a Troma film.

Back in I want to say 2000 (Could have been 1999) I was Lloyd Kaufman's driver for a day. He was showing one of his movies at the film festival I was interning at and so they gave me the job of being his driver. Nothing exciting really happened, he was a very nice guy.

I liked Suicide Squad a lot. Sucks to hear that it did not do well money wise but I guess when you offer it on HBO Max. People are going to watch it on HBO Max (Which is what I did.).

Back in I want to 2000 (Could have been 1999) I was Lloyd Kaufman's driver for a day. He was showing one of his movies at the film festival I was interning at and so they gave me the job of being his driver. Nothing exciting really happened, he was a very nice guy.

I liked Suicide Squad a lot. Sucks to hear that it did not do well money wise but I guess when you offer it on HBO Max. People are going to watch it on HBO Max (Which is what I did.).

I heard the Delta variant also likely played a hand into the low box office numbers. It's really a shame because it's a wonderful flick. I've been quoting King Shark at work and it's driving my coworkers crazy.

It's a shame it's only out in cinemas over here. I'm excited to see it, but the pandemic still exists, and I won't be going out to the movies until it doesn't. I doubt I'm alone, so I'm not surprised at how it's performing. If they released it like Black Widow, as an extra payment on a streaming channel, they'd already have my money.

EDIT: Not that I'm complaining. I'm excited for the movie and hope the money men don't see it as a flop and count out the franchise.

Back in I want to say 2000 (Could have been 1999) I was Lloyd Kaufman's driver for a day. He was showing one of his movies at the film festival I was interning at and so they gave me the job of being his driver. Nothing exciting really happened, he was a very nice guy.

I've always wanted to have a chance to talk to Lloyd Kaufman and pick his brain. It amazes me that a man responsible for so many insane movies intended to offend as many people as possible is as down to earth as he is. And just because it needs to be said, The Toxic Avenger is an American classic that deserves a place in the Library of Congress.

• 2 weeks later...
Man, I finally watched the film What We Do In the Shadows and what a freaking movie. I laughed almost the entire time.

If you have not done so already, you should check out the television version of What We Do In the Shadows. It is one of the best comedies on television right now. The new season comes back on September the second on FX.

If you have not done so already, you should check out the television version of What We Do In the Shadows. It is one of the best comedies on television right now. The new season comes back on September the second on FX.

Its on my radar absolutely. The show having a new season is what actually spurred me to check the movie out.

That sounds interesting. I can't find it on Disney. Is it only on Hulu? Bummer. :(

If you're referring to What We Do In The Shadows, I purchased the movie and the series is from FX, so it would be on Hulu as all of FX and FXx's shows are Hulu exclusive as far as streaming in the States is concerned

• 3 weeks later...

After browsing through the Disneyplus movies, I came across an interesting live action one called Cruella. Definitely worth viewing imo.

... well it was better than any of the Marvel movies I saw. :p

I finally suffered through Endgame. No need to repeat the internet's comments. Once in a while, they're actually right.

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost October and therefore spooky season. I usually go on a horror movie marathon for the month which always involves the Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th movies without fail, but i'd like to see something too which I haven't watched.

Give me some of you favourite horror movie recommendations that I may not have seen. It's going to be tricky because i've watched hundreds, as i've probably watched horror more than any other genre over the past thirty years, but I might hear of a gem which has eluded me. If it was released in cinemas though then i've likely already seen it.

The "modern" movies i've seen that I can think of off the top of my head are the Insidious movies, Sinister, Don't Breathe, The Quiet Place, all of the Conjuring universe, all of the Purge movies etc.

I enjoyed Escape Room haven’t seen the sequel that came out this year though. It Follows was solid and I really like the premise. The Fear Street trilogy on Netflix overall was good. All of the Sleepaway Camp movies the first has a great ending, 2 and 3 are so terrible they’re hilarious and Return is an ok follow up to the original.

I second the It Follows suggestion. Brilliant movie.

Some that I love off the top of my head:

Ginger Snaps

Dog Soldiers

Feast 1, 2, and 3

The Hatchet franchise, especially if you're a Friday the 13th fan

Harbinger Down

Mandy

Horror of Dracula

Brotherhood of the Wolf

I Saw The Devil

High Tension

One of my personal favorites is Dr. Terror's House of Horrors it came out in 1965. It is an anthology horror movie and might be tough to find. They used to show it on AMC (In the States) every year back in the 90's but I cannot recall the last time I saw it. It has an awesome cast as well. Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Michael Gough (Who played the Toymaker on Dr. Who and later Alfred in Tim Burton's Batman movies), Donald Sutherland, and Roy Castle.

I am usually not all that fond of anthology movies, but this actually works.

Also, if you are looking for good old horror movies you cannot go wrong with any of the Hammer horror movies. Sure they probably look dated by today's standards but they are still very good.

1962's Carnival of Souls is pretty good. The only reason why it came to my mind is that I am looking at the DVD for it right now.

This next one might be another that might be kind of bland by today's standards but it scared the crap out of me when I was a little kid. Ghost Story from 1981. Another movie with a good cast Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., and John Houseman star in it.

Those are some older horror movies that you might not have gotten a chance to see.

I second Dog Soldiers and Hatchet. Hopefully my list doesn't just repeat a bunch of recommendations I've made before.

Nosferatu the Vampyre - Werner Herzog gives his own spin on the silent classic and Klaus Kinski's real life lunacy adds an extra creepiness to several scenes because you can tell he improvised something and startled the other actors.

The Masque of the Red Death - Vincent Price at his best, 'nuff said.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil - Fantastic parody of killer hillbilly slasher movies.

Lords of Salem - Rob Zombie dials back his usual excesses to deliver a surprisingly good surreal horror movie.

Suspiria (the original one) - A golden example of why Dario Argento needs to be listed among the great horror directors.

All five Phantasm movies - Each film is different in tone but they all keep an unsettling dreamlike feel to everything on screen and anchored by great performances from two extremely underrated actors: Reggie Bannister and Angus Scrimm.

Castle Freak - It feels like I'm insulting this movie to acknowledge it's straight-to-video. One of Stuart Gordon's (Re-Animator) absolute bests with Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton being amazing as usual.

From Beyond - Same thing as Castle Freak except this came out in theaters. Though I actually think Castle Freak is better.

Dagon - My personal favorite Stuart Gordon film. Despite the name, it's actually an adaptation of Shadow Over Innsmouth. The gore might be a bit too much for some and there are a few silly moments, but I think it winds up part of what makes Dagon so memorable.

Braindead (aka Dead Alive) - Hilarious low budget zombie movie from New Zealand directed by Peter Jackson before he became famous.

Pumpkinhead - Criminally underrated monster movie with an equally underrated performance from Lance Henriksen.

The Gate - Canadian horror film that shows you can do PG horror and make it good.

White Zombie - Underrated Bela Lugosi movie with surprisingly anti-racist undertones for a movie from 1932 set in Haiti. Yes the metal band of the same name got it from this.

The Invisible Man - Probably the only classic Universal horror film I'd say actually held up. The effects hold up great and when I laughed, it was with the movie, not at it.

The Seventh Seal - I'm not sure if this really counts as a horror movie but it definitely has its spooky moments and it's just a really great film.

(Bonus joke suggestion) Zaat - Made by an industrial safety company looking to branch out that is totally not one of the dullest things I've ever seen and definitely wasn't so bad that it made me regret even watching the MST3K episode on it.