The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Stennick

Escape Room, I watched it a while back but can't really remember it (other than the premise) so I might have to revisit it.

It Follows, it was fantastic! :cool:

The Fear Street Trilogy I thought was a bit meh. I didn't finish watching the third one.

Sleepaway Camp, i've watched them all except for Return. My thoughts echo yours.

Ginger Snaps, loved this series of movies!

Dog Soldiers, great movie. I also love The Descent and Doomsday which are also Neil Marshall movies.

Feast 1, 2, and 3, sounds familiar but i'm coming up blank.

Hatchet franchise, cheesy horror fun with Kane Hodder!

Harbinger Down, never heard of it.

Mandy, never heard of it.

Horror of Dracula, is a classic!

Brotherhood of the Wolf, great movie.

I Saw The Devil, never heard of it.

High Tension, never heard of it.

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, i've watched it many years ago so i've forgotten what happened. Definitely one to revisit, especially with a cast like that!

Hammer Horror, I think i've watched everything that Hammer ever did, or at least that's been released on DVD or shown on TV.

Carnival of Souls, an absolute classic!

Ghost story, never heard of it.

Nosferatu the Vampyre, i've seen the silent movie version but not this one.

The Masque of the Red Death, anything Vincent Price is great!

Tucker & Dale vs Evil, hilarious movie!

Lords of Salem, the atmosphere and music on the record is haunting but I think it lost it's way a bit towards the end. Plus seeing Meg Foster (an early crush of mine) looking like THAT ruined me. lol

Suspiria, i've seen it and think it was good, if a bit screechy, and the colour palette makes your eyes want to bleed.

Phantasm movies, loved this series with The Tall Man. "BOYYYY!!!"

Castle Freak, never heard of it. But if Jeffrey Combs is in it then i'm going to watch it. The Stuart Gordon movie that utterly freaked me out as a child was his 1987 movie, Dolls. I kept a close eye on my He-Man figures after watching that one... :eek:

From Beyond, never heard of it.

Dagon, never heard of it. Gore doesn't bother me though, which leads me on to...

Braindead (aka Dead Alive), hilarious and brilliant movie with gore cranked up to 11. Somewhat mind-boggling that Peter Jackson made Bad Taste and this movie but went on to direct the billion dollar Tolkien franchise!

Pumpkinhead, cheesy fun, and Lance Henriksen is great in it.

The Gate, never heard of it.

White Zombie, is a classic. I actually watched this again not too long ago.

The Invisible Man, is another classic, and I agree that the effects still hold up today.

The Seventh Seal, is yet another classic.

Zaat, think i'll skip this one! lol

Hereditary, I know this won a lot of awards and praise but it bored the pants off me. I can't put my finger on why but it just didn't tickle my fancy. I actually laughed for a good few minutes when "the scene with the sister" happened (i'm sure you know what i'm referring to), but i'm pretty sure that wasn't the director's intention. :p

Midsommar, similar to Hereditary it won some awards and praise, but the problem with this one is that I could see where it was going from the beginning. Essentially I was on autopilot for the majority of the movie just waiting to see the end. I don't want to recommend what I think is a better movie similar to this in case someone hasn't seen Midsommar, and if they have it would spoil the plot of the movie I would recommend.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Midsommar, similar to Hereditary it won some awards and praise, but the problem with this one is that I could see where it was going from the beginning. Essentially I was on autopilot for the majority of the movie just waiting to see the end. I don't want to recommend what I think is a better movie similar to this in case someone hasn't seen Midsommar, and if they have it would spoil the plot of the movie I would recommend.

Thanks for the recommendations!

You would not be talking about a certain Christopher Lee classic, if you are then yes I agree. I thought Midsommar was terrible, I mean how does one make a boring horror movie?

Forgot to mention if you have not done so already, please for the love of all that is holy stay away from Lost Boys 2. That movie was horrible as the day is long.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, never heard of it.

The Collector + The Collection, loved both of these! It's a shame production was shut down on the third movie.

Overlord, pretty sure i've seen this but I might be thinking of another movie.

Crawl, good film and not what I was expecting.

Splinter, good low budget horror with an interesting "villain".

Train to Busan, i've heard good things about this one but never got around to watching it. Same with Parasite too.

The Wailing, never heard of it.

The Host, love this one. I came across it completely by chance many years ago when I was browsing through the DVD horror section and took a chance on it.

You would not be talking about a certain Christopher Lee classic, if you are then yes I agree.

I would indeed be referring to a Christopher Lee classic, and definitely not the abysmal remake!

I thought Midsommar was terrible, I mean how does one make a boring horror movie?

I've seen plenty over the years. I don't mind if a movie is low budget or even light on scares as long as it's still entertaining in some way. Killer Klowns From Outer Space is one example that springs to mind, campy 80's fun!

Forgot to mention if you have not done so already, please for the love of all that is holy stay away from Lost Boys 2. That movie was horrible as the day is long.

Unfortunately I did start to watch that but never finished it for obvious reasons. A glutton for punishment, I also tried watching Lost Boys: The Thirst and that was even worse!

I forgot to mention that if you enjoy Nosferatu the Vampyre, Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski made some other great movies together as well. Aguirre, Wrath of God in particular is one of my all-time favorite movies. I even almost recommended it above Nosferatu but besides Klaus Kinski being terrifying as usual it's not really a horror movie.

<p>Just finished the Soska Sisters movie Rabid. Nice practical effects and gore. The lead actress Laura Vandervoort has a good performance, but everyone else is just so so. CM Punk and AJ Lee have minor parts and do well with their small amount of screen time. </p><p> </p><p>

The Soska Sisters have a great eye for horror. </p><p> </p><p>

Which brings me to more horror recommendations</p><p> </p><p>

See No Evil 2- Directed by the Soska Sisters and a very fun slasher flick. I was one of the very few fans of the first See No Evil, but the sequel blows it out of the water. If you like old school slasher flicks, you'll most likely enjoy this. Plus, the goddess Katharine Isabelle is in it and that's always a good thing.</p><p> </p><p>

American Mary- Another Soska Sisters movie starring Katharine Isabelle. It's a body horror flick with impressive practical effects. Only complaint is the ending, but Isabelle is amazing in this and the ending is thus semi forgivable</p>

I've seen plenty over the years. I don't mind if a movie is low budget or even light on scares as long as it's still entertaining in some way. Killer Klowns From Outer Space is one example that springs to mind, campy 80's fun!

I am the same. The budget should never matter as long as the story is good. I am a fan of the 1960's television show Dark Shadows. The budget and even the acting were sometimes very bad on that show (Which is odd because a lot of the cast were from Broadway, but the show was live). That being said, the writing and the overall stories were pretty good if you are willing to overlook the other flaws.

Speaking of which I would add the two movies based on the show to the list. Which are House Of Dark Shadows (1970) and Night of Dark Shadows (1971). House is by far and away the better of the two movies but Night is not that bad. Both movies use the original cast members of the television show for their respective movies.

What I would not recommend is that abomination of a Dark Shadows movie that Johnny Depp put out. Which sucks because I like Johnny Depp and I knew he was a huge fan of the show. Therefore, I thought he would make a good movie based on it, but that obviously did not happen.

In regards to Midsommar I felt it was a far too long, pretentious arthouse movie. It went on and on and it was not nearly as well written as some people seem to say it was. There is a guy on YouTube called the Critical Drinker, who summed up why Midsommar was not good.

Unfortunately I did start to watch that but never finished it for obvious reasons. A glutton for punishment, I also tried watching Lost Boys: The Thirst and that was even worse!

You are a braver soul than me. After watching the second one there was no way I was going to go anywhere near the third one.

Just finished the Soska Sisters movie Rabid. Nice practical effects and gore. The lead actress Laura Vandervoort has a good performance, but everyone else is just so so. CM Punk and AJ Lee have minor parts and do well with their small amount of screen time.

The Soska Sisters have a great eye for horror.

Which brings me to more horror recommendations

See No Evil 2- Directed by the Soska Sisters and a very fun slasher flick. I was one of the very few fans of the first See No Evil, but the sequel blows it out of the water. If you like old school slasher flicks, you'll most likely enjoy this. Plus, the goddess Katharine Isabelle is in it and that's always a good thing.

American Mary- Another Soska Sisters movie starring Katharine Isabelle. It's a body horror flick with impressive practical effects. Only complaint is the ending, but Isabelle is amazing in this and the ending is thus semi forgivable

The Soska Sisters are all sorts of awesome. I have never had a chance to see anything they directed but they did write a Black Widow comic mini-series which was one of the better comics I have read in a long time. I have also watched interviews with them and when I did have Twitter a few years back, I was a follower and they were nothing but nice to their fans. Which if you know anything about people who write comic books, that is something that does not happen very often. More often than not, a good amount of people who work on comics are raging a holes.

I really need to check out some of their movies and for anyone who has not had the chance to do so, check out the Marvel Comics miniseries by the Soska Sisters called Black Widow: No Restraints Play.

I am just going to do a back-to-back because this is an entirely different topic.

I saw The Many Saints of Newark and I thought it was very good. For those who don't know what that is, it is a prequel to The Sopranos. It shows Tony as a pre-teen and a teenager and although the focus is not on the character of Tony it does show you how Tony became who he was.

Also, I have to say Vera Farmiga just killed it as Tony's mother. It was truly like watching a younger version of the way Nancy Marchand played the character. Vera just nailed it with the mannerisms and the way she would look at the other characters.

Corey Stoll did an okay version of Uncle Junior. But the thing is he sounded nothing like Junior. Now I understand that an adult voice can change with age, just listen to Al Pacino in either of the first two Godfather movies and then listen to him in the third one. But Corey's voice does not even sound anything remotely like Dominic Chianese's voice. I don't know, just a minor thing but it did take me out of the any scene Corey was in.

BHK, I highly recommend American Mary and See No Evil 2 if you decide to check out a Soska Sisters movie or two. American Mary is brilliant until the ending, but I like I said about Katharine is amazing in it.

I also seem to be in the minority in hating the ending, so maybe you guys might dig it.

Just finished the Soska Sisters movie Rabid. Nice practical effects and gore. The lead actress Laura Vandervoort has a good performance, but everyone else is just so so. CM Punk and AJ Lee have minor parts and do well with their small amount of screen time.

I was actually a bit disappointed with Rabid. Have you seen the original? If not, check it out.

See No Evil 2- Directed by the Soska Sisters and a very fun slasher flick. I was one of the very few fans of the first See No Evil, but the sequel blows it out of the water. If you like old school slasher flicks, you'll most likely enjoy this. Plus, the goddess Katharine Isabelle is in it and that's always a good thing.

I liked both but preferred the sequel too as it was more of a typical slasher, I wish there were more sequels as he could have easily become a "Jason"-like icon. The one part of the original I didn't like was the terrible CGI ending - you know what i'm on about!

American Mary- Another Soska Sisters movie starring Katharine Isabelle. It's a body horror flick with impressive practical effects. Only complaint is the ending, but Isabelle is amazing in this and the ending is thus semi forgivable

Great film, and my fave of the Soska Sisters. Katherine Isabelle is fantastic in it.

I am the same. The budget should never matter as long as the story is good. I am a fan of the 1960's television show Dark Shadows. The budget and even the acting were sometimes very bad on that show (Which is odd because a lot of the cast were from Broadway, but the show was live). That being said, the writing and the overall stories were pretty good if you are willing to overlook the other flaws.

Speaking of which I would add the two movies based on the show to the list. Which are House Of Dark Shadows (1970) and Night of Dark Shadows (1971). House is by far and away the better of the two movies but Night is not that bad. Both movies use the original cast members of the television show for their respective movies.

What I would not recommend is that abomination of a Dark Shadows movie that Johnny Depp put out. Which sucks because I like Johnny Depp and I knew he was a huge fan of the show. Therefore, I thought he would make a good movie based on it, but that obviously did not happen.

Never heard of the TV show or movies, other than the Johnny Depp one which I haven't watched.

I'll add House Of Dark Shadows (1970) and Night of Dark Shadows (1971) to my list.

In regards to Midsommar I felt it was a far too long, pretentious arthouse movie. It went on and on and it was not nearly as well written as some people seem to say it was. There is a guy on YouTube called the Critical Drinker, who summed up why Midsommar was not good.

It may just been have because we'd watched "that Christopher Lee" movie so it seemed longer as we knew where it was going, but it did certainly seem long. Florence Pugh was good in it however. (and I think she was the best part of the Black Widow movie)

You are a braver soul than me. After watching the second one there was no way I was going to go anywhere near the third one.

Well I never got half way through Lost Boys: The Tribe before turning it off and I didn't last even as long as that for Lost Boys: The Thirst! :p

I echo Jaysin's comment, you should watch See No Evil 2 and American Mary by the Soska Sisters.

The obvious question: does anyone plan to see "Escape the Undertaker"? From what I've heard the New Day is their usual, natural self, but the Taker character is a bit of a sad, pathetic depiction of the character. That being said, should be an hour of fun nontheless. I'll watch it. :p

• 2 weeks later...
Just got home from seeing Halloween Kills and dear god the humanity. I enjoyed the movie but at a certain point the sheer stupidity of the people in the movie really took me out of it. I won’t spoil anything about the movie I will say the attention paid to the original that they continued to reference and incorporate into this new continuity was/is very well done. I’m looking forward to the conclusion next year and depending on how that sequel handles things I may change my mind but it feels like they probably could’ve trimmed some things down and made this a 2 hour movie to give us the full story.

Isn't that one of the main characteristics of the horror movie? Borderline retarded behavior? It's used to incite excitement in the viewer ("omg wth are you doing??"). But I guess it can be immersion-breaking if it's a little over the top, like Scary Movie (though there it's the exact opposite effect).

It is a characteristic but the problem is there are so many people that based on who the character is should know better than to do what they’re doing. I absolutely believe that in the heat of the moment when these horrible things are happening people can act stupid from the shock of it. But there are a bunch of people in this movie who have history with Michael who should already know not to do X that do X even when the situation is calm.

Just got home from seeing Halloween Kills and dear god the humanity. I enjoyed the movie but at a certain point the sheer stupidity of the people in the movie really took me out of it. I won’t spoil anything about the movie I will say the attention paid to the original that they continued to reference and incorporate into this new continuity was/is very well done. I’m looking forward to the conclusion next year and depending on how that sequel handles things I may change my mind but it feels like they probably could’ve trimmed some things down and made this a 2 hour movie to give us the full story.

I haven't seen the entire franchise, but are Michael's "powers" explained ever? Dude must be pushing 60 by now and shows no signs of aging. Unless it's someone new by now, but I doubt it.

I haven't seen the entire franchise, but are Michael's "powers" explained ever? Dude must be pushing 60 by now and shows no signs of aging. Unless it's someone new by now, but I doubt it.

One of the sequels in the original continuity tried to explain it away by making him powered by ancient Celtic evil surrounding Samhain or something like that. Nobody liked the explanation so I think everybody just kind of shrugged and went with "Michael Meyers can do what he does because he's Michael Meyers".

One of the sequels in the original continuity tried to explain it away by making him powered by ancient Celtic evil surrounding Samhain or something like that. Nobody liked the explanation so I think everybody just kind of shrugged and went with "Michael Meyers can do what he does because he's Michael Meyers".

A for effort on their part. I have enjoyed what I have seen of the franchise so far, wasn't sure if I had missed this detail. Now, I, too can shrug and say that's just Michael being Michael.

Saw Halloween Kills. I dunno. Maybe it hit me at just the right time, or from just the right angle.. but I loved the daylights out of it! I can't wait to see it again. I even mentioned somewhere in the wonderful world of social media that after forty years, Michael Myers may have finally surpassed the mighty Jason Voorhees.

Michael's ALWAYS had the cooler theme song.

:cool:

Also, I think, and I may be wrong about this because it's been a minute since I've seen a lot of the older movies, that Michael has always been pretty much a normal, living breathing human being, albeit a very twisted one who liked to do awful things to people for various reason. You'd typically see him "killed" at the end of one movie, and the beginning of the next, it'd show that, although it looked like he'd been killed, he'd actually survived, and was coming back. I remember in one of them, he was washed away or something, and rescued by a guy living in a cabin out in the woods who nursed him back to health. Before leaving for his at that point annual rampage, he took special cared to kill the daylights out of his rescuer.

Can't remember which movie that was though. Like I said, it's been a minute.

This getting stronger as he kills thing could just be speculation in the new film, but it could be a decent way to explain his growing power without having to go into too much detail about it. It could be cool to not know exactly why he is like he is.

Is this new version woke in any way? I am so sick of all of the woke social-justice crap getting put into these franchise movies (Dr. Who and Star Wars I am looking at the two of you.). I stayed away from the new Halloween for this very reason because I heard that it was overly woke.

Funny that CQI13, should bring up Michael's age because I was wondering that as well. He would have to be in fantastic shape to be doing what he is doing at the age of 64. Yes, I looked it up and if you are to go by how old he was in the first movie, then he would be 64 or 65 depending on if he had his birthday or not.

Also, what does he do throughout the year when he is not doing his yearly killing spree? If he was locked up in a mental institution for his formative years, one has to question how he can possibly make it on his own after all of these years. I guess he does just fine but it is something I never really thought about before.

Is this new version woke in any way? I am so sick of all of the woke social-justice crap getting put into these franchise movies (Dr. Who and Star Wars I am looking at the two of you.). I stayed away from the new Halloween for this very reason because I heard that it was overly woke.

Funny that CQI13, should bring up Michael's age because I was wondering that as well. He would have to be in fantastic shape to be doing what he is doing at the age of 64. Yes, I looked it up and if you are to go by how old he was in the first movie, then he would be 64 or 65 depending on if he had his birthday or not.

Also, what does he do throughout the year when he is not doing his yearly killing spree? If he was locked up in a mental institution for his formative years, one has to question how he can possibly make it on his own after all of these years. I guess he does just fine but it is something I never really thought about before.

I don't think so, (and I'm pretty sick of the overly woke stuff myself). Didn't really see anything that seemed forced to me, honestly. :)

Also, as it relates to the age thing.... that did cross my mind as well. I don't have any answers. As for what Michael does for the rest of the year.... that doesn't really matter in this case. This picks up literally minutes after the last one ended, (which puts it in 2018, if that affects your calculations regarding his age), so he, far as I know, hasn't had to spend a year out in the wild just yet.

Late to the party, but I've watched TSS at least 5 times since it's released and it hasn't gotten even a little bit worse. It's easily one of my favorite movies of all time, seriously challenging the first Iron Man for the title of best comic book movie of all time to me. James Gunn is a phenomenal filmmaker, his ability to make us care about D-level DC villains should be commended, and it showed me that the genre is not as saturated as people say it is; there are soooooooo many obscure characters in DC and Marvel lore that, if explored the right way, can make for some money stories.

Ratcatcher 2 is the best character, no doubt about it. Hoping it catapults Daniela Melchior's career, she's got a ton of potential! The others here have already sung the praise for the other characters and actors, so I'll just say I second all of it as to not sound redundant. :p

But before I forget to mention, I have only watched him in TSS since his WWE Studios movies, but if his part as Peacemaker is any indicator, Cena has grown a ton as an actor. He was ROUGH in the past. Now, I look forward to watching him in more projects.

Watched Dune and I adored it! I had to struggle to not pause the movie multiple times just to geek out over the visual design to my brother. The acting is great (well, Rebecca Ferguson's acting in the first act came off stilted to me but it got better once they reached Arrakis) the direction is fantastic and Hans Zimmer finally managed to make another soundtrack that doesn't make me think of Inception. If part 2 is as good as this, I would like to nominate Denis Villenueve as the new king of sci-fi films. Between this and Blade Runner 2049, he's filmed the unfilmable twice now.