USPW: A Slow Ride To The Top

Backstory

Some of you know me and some of you do not and are reading me for the first time. I'm the guy that has a bit of a reputation and not in a good way. I'm one of the guys who has started more diaries than I should. But I am looking for a fresh start here in 2010. Granted, I may get fired or something as I learn to navigate my way around the brand new game. But that's alright. It happens.

Why USPW?

USPW almost feels like my child in a way because of all the time that I've dedicated to this promotion. I like the changes that were made to it and I do intend on making some changes myself. Of course I will try a slower build as I have no intentions of getting away from what makes USPW great.

Final Thoughts

Well, readers, here we go again. I'm gonna be honest with you: if I get fired then I will probably start a new diary as I am not keen on trying any other promotion. But by the same token I am playing with Owner Goals on because I like having those restrictions. And you're gonna see a little backstage stuff here. You're gonna see a little in-ring action and a little of this and that peppered in for good measure. Sit back, take a load off and get ready because Sam Strong and USPW are on a collision course with the big boys and it's not gonna be pretty. Now on with the show...

Alt Work

Credit for the alternate pictures goes to their respective artists. You guys do great work and it is definitely appreciated!

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ROSTER

USPW World Champion: Enygma

USPW Television Champion: Andre Jones

USPW National Champion: Peter Valentine

USPW Womens Champion: Raven Robinson

USPW World Tag Team Champions: The People's Team (Freddie Datsun and Des Davids)

Main Eventers

Chris Caulfield

Enygma

James Justice

Bruce The Giant

Tyson Baine

Upper Midcarders

Nicky Champion

The Force

Jumbo Jackson

Peter Valentine

The Masked Avatar

T-Rex

Midcarders

Freddie Datsun

Java

Tribal Warrior

Andre Jones

Danny Rushmore

Giant Redwood

Mick Muscles

Lower Midcarders

Captain USA

Des Davids

Anger

Openers

Pete The Hillbilly

Darryl Devine

Enhancement Talents

Al The Hillbilly

Women's Division

Alicia Strong

Raven Robinson

Belle Bryden

Cherry Bomb

Managers

Seduction

Sheik Mustafa

Announcer

Danny Jillefski

Colour Commentator

Shane Sneer

Referees

Baby Jamie

Robbie Sanchez

Road Agent

Micky Starr

Sam Strong

Commissioner Doom

Tag Teams

Champion Force (Nicky Champion and The Force)

Savage Fury (Java and Tribal Warrior)

The Hillbillys (Al The Hillbilly and Pete The Hillbilly)

The People's Team (Freddie Datsun and Des Davids)

The Titans (Tyson Baine and T-Rex)

The Towers of Power (Danny Rushmore and Mick Muscles)

Stables

The Sneer Corporation:

Anger

Danny Rushmore

Jumbo Jackson

Mick Muscles

Shane Sneer

Guest KingOfKings
Iv'e always enjoyed your diaries. They are actually one inspiration for me doing my current SWF diary, good luck with this!

Iv'e always enjoyed your diaries. They are actually one inspiration for me doing my current SWF diary, good luck with this!

Thanks a lot! Always appreciate having a reader and I am always glad to see another C-Verse diary out there. Hope you'll be around when the prediction contests start. I still have some backstory stuff to get to before I get to my first show.

I know your excited for an updated USPW as am I. That being said are you really sure you want to start a diary already? You said yourself you've been known to stop and start again if things get out of control or you get fired. That being said I've seen a few bugs addressed already that cause your game to time out or other things. Adam has said their fixed in the full version don't you want to wait for atleast the full version to come out?

Its risky starting a diary before the full game even comes out. The game could crash, there are bugs to be worked out. Again I know your excited and I think its great that you wanna do a diary but don't you want to try and hold off until at the very least the full version comes out and you get a chance to get a better handle on the game? I mean with it being released hours ago don't you want to "catch up" so to speak? Anyway good luck with whatever you do just some friendly advice from one USPW player to another.

I know your excited for an updated USPW as am I. That being said are you really sure you want to start a diary already? You said yourself you've been known to stop and start again if things get out of control or you get fired. That being said I've seen a few bugs addressed already that cause your game to time out or other things. Adam has said their fixed in the full version don't you want to wait for atleast the full version to come out?

Its risky starting a diary before the full game even comes out. The game could crash, there are bugs to be worked out. Again I know your excited and I think its great that you wanna do a diary but don't you want to try and hold off until at the very least the full version comes out and you get a chance to get a better handle on the game? I mean with it being released hours ago don't you want to "catch up" so to speak? Anyway good luck with whatever you do just some friendly advice from one USPW player to another.

I may not actually get to the in-game part of the diary before the full version comes out. I plan on doing up a bit of a backstory for this diary that will include things not within the game, i.e. how The Masked Avatar came to begin booking for USPW. That gives me plenty of time to write some backstory for the promotion.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/uspw2/TheMaskedAvatar.jpg

[The scene is backstage within a locker room of a local high school in Aiken, South Carolina. I just finished my run-in on the main event and then headed back here to get a shower and maybe head out to get something to eat. These little independent shows sure don't pay much money but they are something, right? They are something to keep my mind fresh and ready for when a big company comes calling. Oh, who am I kidding? Definitely not myself. I stepped into that locker room, expecting it to be empty when I was surprised to see an old friend sitting on one of the benches.]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/uspw2/ShaneSneer.jpg

[shane Sneer. I had worked with Shane back in the days of SCCW. He was the owner of the company down there but when his business went bankrupt he went to work for Danny and Sam at USPW. It is sort of odd to see him down here and my right hand went out and gavehim a handshake.]

The Masked Avatar

"What are you doing down here in the slums? Shouldn't you be collecting your big paycheck up with Sam and Danny?"

Shane Sneer

"Oh, I'm still collecting that paycheck. Don't worry about that. But I thought I would give the less influential people a look down here."

The Masked Avatar

"Sometimes you do need to see what you're stepping on, right?"

[The two of us had a good laugh at that. It was definitely good to see Shane but again I am left to wonder: why?]

Shane Sneer

"Listen, I've got a business proposal I need to run by you. Can I buy you dinner?"

[i thought about that for about the equivalant of a second and then nodded.]

The Masked Avatar

"If you're buying you better make it a big dinner. How about steak?"

Shane Sneer

"Sounds good but you need a shower first, Avatar. I'm not taking anyone that smells as bad as you anywhere with me."

The Masked Avatar

"Make fun of me all you want, Shane. I'll be the one spending your money. I'll meet you outside when I'm done."

[shane nodded and then walked off. A business proposal, huh? I wonder exactly what Shane is up to...]

This isn't going to be the same without the Dude being USPW champion. At least he is still on the roster. I can't wait to see how you are going to write Enygma.

Yeah, even though I picked USPW I don't even have a clue on how to write for him. At one point I gave him a Delirious style character, but something tells me that a character like that would not work as a Cult size promotion's World champion.

It's interesting to see what you are going to do with the new and improved USPW.

Right on then. I know we're all in a state of euphoria so I thought I'd just chime in for a minute and say my peace. So enough jibba jabba on with the back story I say.

You know I will be following, I am a little surprised to see this up so soon. And if Anger isn't pushed, we will riot!

This is definitely interesting, as USPW is much more interesting than in TEW08, and you know, with really no other diaries, I'll be following this one. Your shows seem so right of length that I can actually read them :p

Good to see a USPW diary, I would've put money on you being the first person to start one off. :)

Looking forward to this, there's some great changes been made to them!

Awesome, enough said :)

I am back, big A! Let's get started!!!

I'm all about backstories with a dinner involved lol. Keep up the good work!

This isn't going to be the same without the Dude being USPW champion. At least he is still on the roster. I can't wait to see how you are going to write Enygma.

Yeah, even though I picked USPW I don't even have a clue on how to write for him. At one point I gave him a Delirious style character, but something tells me that a character like that would not work as a Cult size promotion's World champion.

It's interesting to see what you are going to do with the new and improved USPW.

I wanted to toss out a Thank You to everyone who's posted here so far. It truly is the reader feedback that can raise a diary or sink one. I do write for a promotion that I enjoy but by the same token I hope that you all enjoy what I write.

As far as some of the new names here in USPW: Enygma, Tyson Baine, etc. I do have some plans for each of them and just how they are going to get told in a story sense. Of course I'm not gonna let the cat out of the bag just yet. This will just give you USPW fans reason to stay tuned!

And as for Anger and James Justice? Definitely have plans for them both. -zips my lips-

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/uspw2/TheMaskedAvatar.jpg

[i had gotten a shower and gotten changed within the locker room into a more fitting black suit that went with half my mask. Now, you wouldn't think that a guy wearing a wrestling mask and a suit would attract much attention on the street, right? Well, you would be wrong. There are some new-timers and some old-timers who know who I am from this promotion or that promotion that I've worked for. I have been working for promotions since 1992, trained at 15 years old for the ring. I have been moving in and out of territories ever since, wrestling on some of the grandest stages of them all and wrestling in high school gyms as I did tonight. But enough about my past.]

[i headed out to the nice towncar that Shane had rented and we road toward Prime Steakhouse in downtown Aiken. We mostly shot the **** along the road but I did notice that he avoided talking about wrestling. This struck me as odd since Shane has always been one to brag and right now he has a lot to brag about. USPW may be the number three promotion still but they are quickly gaining on both TCW and SWF. They have some hot storylines going and with Shane as the Head Booker he had a lot to brag about. I made sure to make a point within my mind to bring it up during dinner.]

[We got to the steakhouse and were seated. He ordered a bottle of wine and that really made me raise a brow.]

The Masked Avatar

"Shane, you know I'm more of a beer and chips type of guy. Now, you've been avoiding talking about wrestling. What's going on?"

Shane Sneer

"Well, I was gonna wait until after dinner to talk with you about this..."

The Masked Avatar

"Come on now, Shane, shoot me straight here. You know I'm more of a straight talker than anything else."

Shane Sneer

"As I know you have been watching, USPW has taken fire. We have continued to elevate our wrestlers and it is looking like we are going to catch TCW soon and then SWF. Quite honestly, I'm stretched too thin, my friend. I am working behind the scenes, doing the booking, doing the managing thing, doing the colour commentating. It's all become far too much for me and I am starting to suffer from some serious health issues."

The Masked Avatar

"I'm sorry to hear that, my old friend. Is there anything that I can do?"

Shane Sneer

"I am glad you asked that, Avatar. There is. I am looking to drop some of my behind the scenes duties. I would like to speak with Sam about you becoming my successor to the booking duties in USPW."

[My eyes just about lit out of my head. Booking duties for one of the hottest companies in the world? He's got to be ribbing me, right? Right?]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/uspw2/SamStrong.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/uspw2/ShaneSneer.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/uspw2/TheMaskedAvatar.jpg

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE QUITTING BOOKING?!?!"

[That was actually the first words that I heard through the door coming from the man who I was hoping would be my future employer. Of course I had accepted Shane's offer to take over the booking duties with USPW. I would be a fool not to. They have some of the hottest storylines around. A main event storyline between the mysterious Enygma and Tyson Baine, both slight newcomers to USPW. They have a storyline running between two long-running USPW wrestlers in James Justice and 'The Jurassic Power' T-Rex. They also have a major storyline running between Bruce The Giant and 'The Hardcore American' Chris Caulfield to determine the next challenger for the World Heavyweight Title currently held by Enygma. As I stood outside the door, I put my ear slightly up against it so I could listen in on the conversation between Shane Sneer and Sam Strong.]

Shane Sneer

"Look, Sam, you know better than anyone that I have been thinking about this for awhile. I have put it off and put it off because of how well the company has been doing. However, I cannot put it off any longer. My well of stories is starting to run dry."

[i could almost hear Sam pacing back and forth on the carpeted floor.]

Sam Strong

"What am I supposed to do while you cool your heels and get recharged? There isn't a single person in this company that I'd truly trust with my book except for you. Micky is a great guy. So are Peter and Bruce and Danny. However, I know Micky doesn't want the book and neither does Danny. Peter and Bruce, while they are great friends of mine, I'm not entirely sure how much I could trust them with the book not to use it to put themselves over. That doesn't leave me with a whole lot of options, Shane."

Shane Sneer

"I know it doesn't, Sam. But I wouldn't leave you out in the cold with no one to book your shows so I went out and found a replacement."

Sam Strong

"You went out and found a replacement without asking me first? That sounds promising."

[i tried to ignore the sarcasm in Sam's voice.]

Shane Sneer

"This guy is the genuine article and someone who has been around the business for a very long time. 17 years to be exact. He knows how to run things and I am thinking he will command some respect from the boys even though he's never been World Champion before. He's waiting outside right now."

Sam Strong

"So not only do you go out and find a replacement behind my back but you also bring him here to my home? Shane, that's not good. You know better than that."

Shane Sneer

"Just trust me, Sam. Let me introduce him to you."

[shane made it to the door before Sam could talk him out of it. He opened the door and I stepped inside, looking right toward Sam Strong. The look on his face was absolutely priceless. His big eyes bulging out, his jaw dropped. For once the usually talkative Sam Strong was speechless and I was smiling behind my mask.]

The Masked Avatar

"Good afternoon, Sam. It's been a long time..."

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/uspw2/SamStrong.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/uspw2/ShaneSneer.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/uspw2/TheMaskedAvatar.jpg

[seeing Sam again reminded me of the last time that I saw him. It was shortly after he retired from in-ring competition back in 2005. I was working an indy show and somehow they had gotten enough money to pay for him to make an appearance. He thought he was just going to be there to get the crowd fired up. Backstage, the promoter at the time had offered me a large sum of money to go out there and injure him for real. Some type of grudge or something that he has against Sam. I came walking out to the ring and I attacked Sam from behind, whispering in his ear to lay down and sell the attack and we'd both get some money from it. He sold it and we were both able to get over on the promoter and split the sum of money that I was paid.]

[i was brought back to reality when Sam cleared his throat and I looked to him out of the eyeholes of my mask.]

The Masked Avatar

"I am sure that you never thought you'd see me again."

Sam Strong

"After that night back in Greenville? I'm surprised you were able to still find jobs in the southeast after word got out that my legs weren't broken."

The Masked Avatar

"Well, it's nice to have some connections still around after all these years, Sam."

Sam Strong

"But, you know, right now I am in the position of the guy who got the wool pulled over his eyes. I'll be honest with you, I don't like it."

The Masked Avatar

"I know you don't, Sam. I never figured you would. But you and I, we go way back. One of my very first matches was against you though I am sure you don't remember it."

Sam Strong

"No, I am afraid I don't. But, then, I've taken a lot of blows to the head over the years."

The Masked Avatar

"That's true."

Shane Sneer

"I knew you two would get along. Sam, Avatar here has pitched me some ideas over the years. Some of them I have even used and taken the credit for. That is one of the reasons that I couldn't think of anyone better to take my place in this chair, in this seat at the booker's table."

Sam Strong

"Getting Shane's glowing recommendation is big for you, Avatar. He is someone who has owned a company and who I have a lot of respect for. Right now we are in a bit of a situation here without a booker. So here's the bottom line for you: I am going to trust Shane's judgement and give you that seat at the booker's table. However, I am going to be giving you guidelines that you have to follow or live up to. If you do not follow or live up to them then I will fire you. Now, come here at 10 AM sharp tomorrow morning and we will have a contract lined up for you to sign. I can't pay you much but the better you do the more money you will make. Do you agree?"

The Masked Avatar

"Thank you for this opportunity Sam, Shane. I won't disappoint you."

[i extended a hand and shook both Sam's and Shane's hand, glad that I wear a mask. If I didn't, they would be able to see the shock and happiness but that is definitely hidden. I assumed it was time for me to go and started to turn to leave when someone else entered the living room...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/uspw2/AliciaStrong.jpg

[i was taken by a definite surprise when Sam Strong's young daughter Alicia came in wearing a light t-shirt and a pair of shorts. She was sweating and showing that she had obviously been working out. Throughout the years, she had been accompanying her father to various shows so I had gotten to meet her before but now she seems so grown up. I felt like a dirty old man looking at the woman who is around 9 years my junior. She was wiping her face with a towel so I thought about slipping out...]

Alicia Strong

"AVATAR!"

[Her happy squeal got my attention and I turned around just in time to get mauled into a hug. I laughed and returned the hug, trying not to linger too much in it.]

Alicia Strong

"What are you doing here? Has my Dad finally wisened up and hired you?"

Sam Strong

"Something like that. Alicia meet the new Head Booker of USPW."

[Alicia stood there in shock for a moment and then flashed a business smile to Shane.]

Alicia Strong

"Sorry to hear you're giving up the duties, Shane. You have really done a great job."

[shane nodded modestly before Alicia turned back to me.]

Alicia Strong

"Welcome aboard, Avatar. So when do I get to see you book yourself to lose your mask?"

[i had to laugh at that. She'd been trying to get a peek underneath my mask ever since she was little.]

The Masked Avatar

"Not any time soon I'm afraid Alicia. Look, it's been great seeing you and I know we are going to catch up soon but I need to get all ready for my move here. I'll be back at 10 AM tomorrow morning sharp."

[i nodded to all three of them before turning to make my exit and head out to the beat up old rental car that I used to drive here in. Working Indy Shows doesn't afford you much money to buy anything decent. Hopefully this job will allow me to buy a new car since I totalled my last one. As I walked out the door and got into my car, I saw Alicia step to the window and wave at me. I waved back and then started up my car and headed to the hotel. I would be getting an apartment soon and all would be well with the world, right? Well, one thing is for sure, Alicia Strong has definitely grown up.]

Great backstory...

Well, apart from Strong being a moron - who gives a damn if Peter Valentine wants to book himself to win the World title, he's Peter Fricking Valentine, let him do whatever the hell he wants?!

Still, Masked Avatar is the next best thing...

Sweet! I'm glad that you chose to do another USPW dynasty. I will be reading and predicting!

Glad to have some more continuity of my readership from my Long Hard Road diary. Good to see you here and glad you'll still be reading and predicting and hopefully commenting as well!

Nice back story. Count me in!

And by the same token it is great to have new readers as well. Feel free to comment about anything having to do with the diary at any time. And I hope you'll still be around to make predictions once this really begins with the game stuff after the full release version comes out.

Great backstory...

Well, apart from Strong being a moron - who gives a damn if Peter Valentine wants to book himself to win the World title, he's Peter Fricking Valentine, let him do whatever the hell he wants?!

Still, Masked Avatar is the next best thing...

Great to see you back, Jaded. IIRC, I seem to recall you writing a wonderful Watcher diary with the D.O.T.T. stuff back in the day. Do I have the right guy?

As for Peter Valentine, I am quite sure that once I get the game fired up and my owner goals set that I will have a goal of a Valentine push. So you can look forward to that one.

And the reason I picked Masked Avatar is because of his whole 'embodiment of old school' which I think really fits USPW.

Very nice work. Looking forward to more of this

Thanks for reading! As said above, I hope you'll be here when the in-game portion gets fired up and the prediction contests begin. Those are always fun and people can win a prize too!

Archived