TEW10 Render Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a lot of junk on Renderosity. Lots of flatly lit, pointless images devoid of soul, trying to make up for it with sheer amount of things rendered and/or nudity. Most of it still gets good ratings. Hell, my little supervillain thing has recieved nothing but 5-star ratings. No one thinks it's a 3 or a 4? Come on. A 4 is above average. That won't hurt my feelings. So it almost comes down to how many people rate your work, as opposed to how good folks thing it is. Not that I've done too much research on this, but I look down at some of the top rated work with pity.

I wouldn't put too many 'requirements' on the term Rendering Master. To me, it's someone who consistently produces work that I like, work that is better than mine in some/every way, work than I want to emulate.

There's a lot of junk on Renderosity. Lots of flatly lit, pointless images devoid of soul, trying to make up for it with sheer amount of things rendered and/or nudity. Most of it still gets good ratings. Hell, my little supervillain thing has recieved nothing but 5-star ratings. No one thinks it's a 3 or a 4? Come on. A 4 is above average. That won't hurt my feelings. So it almost comes down to how many people rate your work, as opposed to how good folks thing it is. Not that I've done too much research on this, but I look down at some of the top rated work with pity.

I wouldn't put too many 'requirements' on the term Rendering Master. To me, it's someone who consistently produces work that I like, work that is better than mine in some/every way, work than I want to emulate.

So would you say that there will never be a overall rendering master? I don't think I've ever came across anyone I'd describe as a master. What I would say is "Fygomatic is the best morpher in the Daz/Poser field" or "no one does poser/daz textures like Fabiana". But at the same time I'd feel uncomfortable with describing either a master in their fields.

So would you say that there will never be a overall rendering master? I don't think I've ever came across anyone I'd describe as a master. What I would say is "Fygomatic is the best morpher in the Daz/Poser field" or "no one does poser/daz textures like Fabiana". But at the same time I'd feel uncomfortable with describing either a master in their fields.

One true master? No. Art is too subjective for that. Everyone has different tastes. Different strokes appeal to different folks. Some like elves. Some like beefy musclemen standing in the rain. There will be artists who stand above the rest, but no one who can be called the one true master.

Fygomatic's very good at morphing celebrities though. No doubt about that.

I think it's safe to say that at this point, the people at Pixar are "Rendering Masters".

:D

True but that is on a whole differen't level.

One true master? No. Art is too subjective for that. Everyone has different tastes. Different strokes appeal to different folks. Some like elves. Some like beefy musclemen standing in the rain. There will be artists who stand above the rest, but no one who can be called the one true master.

Fygomatic's very good at morphing celebrities though. No doubt about that.

I guess it depends on what you would class as art. I see what Pixar do as art, they model original characters, rig them, texture them, animate them and create technical masterpieces time and time again in their very own render engine. On the other hand I don't see what we do with Daz/Poser as art, at least not in the same terms as a classical or digital painter. I guess it could be argued that the final image could be regarded as art no matter how it is created, but I find it very hard to view anything I've done in Daz as art, no matter how pretty or polished the final image, I'll always view it as render and not art.

I put 'render' on the same level as Charcoal and Watercolours. It's the method, not the product. Pretty pictures are art. Deal with it.

I tried re-rendering the BSC girls a while back, with varying success. The cuts can be found in ewanite's re-render thread, but I also did full body pictures for a diary I doubt I'll ever get around to doing. Introducing first, from Hollywood, California. She likes sunsets, long walks on the beach and pissing off her movie-star daddy. Give it up for Britney Hollywood!

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p366/celdom/Full/Britney.jpg

I put 'render' on the same level as Charcoal and Watercolours. It's the method, not the product. Pretty pictures are art. Deal with it.

No one ever has the right to say "deal with it" in a difference of opinion, so leave the keyboard warrior stance at home, it doesn't work with me. :rolleyes:

If you want to consider yourself an artist for loading pre-made models, with pre-made textures, lighting a scene and hitting render then thats up to you, I wouldn't. Good renders take product knowledge and patience. Charcoals and water colours take skill. In my opinion.

I know that is no request thread, but I have some little questions about DAZ and don't know in which thread it is better to ask. So here I go.

I did some renders to with daz3d, not so good like these ones you show here, but I think for me ok. May be I will give you n example in the next few days.

I'm allways looking for good freebies, there are a lot for V4. But I don't find many M4 freebies. Need some Clothes and Hairs.

Same for Freak4. Can someone help me to find some good sides for freebies?

If not, some cheap hairs or clothes (wrestling like clothes would be cool)?

And Masks for Lucha-Renders, would be cool.

If I have them, I will create some more renders and post here, no problem.

Thanks!

Hmm. Maybe my statement came out less light hearted than it did in my head. I guess I use the term 'art' more liberally than some, gigantic murals of angels on ceilings are art. A 5-year old drawing a picture of a house with crayons is also art. If anything, I was paying you a compliment. Your work rocks. I consider it art.

... and yet I don't consider myself an artist. I have made little pictures that I'd consider art (using my liberal definition of the term) but my soul and my eye are not one of an 'artist'. Just a guy who uses various computer programs to occasionally create art.

Hmm. Maybe my statement came out less light hearted than it did in my head.

Yeah the internet has that problem, reading back my own message sounded aggressive when it was never intended that way :o

I guess I use the term 'art' more liberally than some, gigantic murals of angels on ceilings are art.

Giant murals of angels on ceilings are most definetely art, and are also very very awesome :D

A 5-year old drawing a picture of a house with crayons is also art.

See I can agree with that. Perhaps i'm old fashioned with what I would consider "art mediums". But in saying that I personally would view Photoshop/Painter as an art medium but not Daz/Poser, perhaps I'm looking too much at the process and not the end product. :confused:

If anything, I was paying you a compliment. Your work rocks. I consider it art.

My own view on my rendering is that I think I do a pretty good what would be considered an off topic render around here, fantasy kind of stuff. And lighting would be my strongest point. But in terms of renders for TEW & WMMA I see myself as well behind yourself, Clarity, Trell etc. But in my mind I wouldn't call my off topics or anyones TEW renders art. Again perhaps I'm thinking more of the process and not the end product :confused:

... and yet I don't consider myself an artist. I have made little pictures that I'd consider art (using my liberal definition of the term) but my soul and my eye are not one of an 'artist'. Just a guy who uses various computer programs to occasionally create art.

This part really struck a chord with me and perhaps it's my way of thinking as well, although I've done well to confuse myself so far :confused: When you said this I thought more of the end product rather than the process. The painter doesn't manufacture his own brushes or paint, these are tools. I guess the same could be said of the Daz/Poser models.

I don't know anymore lol, but I think your view above suits my current mindset best. I don't think I'd consider a renderer as an artist, but could view their images as art.

I'm off to lie down now....... Wibble :confused:

I could consider a renderer an artist, but it depends on the guy. Some people have an arty mindset. I personally don't. This came up a lot in 'art college' where we'd be shown enormously pretentious films by smug, ponytailed lecturers, and while everyone else raved about symbolism and 'use of shadow' I'd bitch about the crappy dialogue and lack of coherent story.

I also can't draw, and paint hates me.

I know that is no request thread, but I have some little questions about DAZ and don't know in which thread it is better to ask. So here I go.

I did some renders to with daz3d, not so good like these ones you show here, but I think for me ok. May be I will give you n example in the next few days.

I'm allways looking for good freebies, there are a lot for V4. But I don't find many M4 freebies. Need some Clothes and Hairs.

Same for Freak4. Can someone help me to find some good sides for freebies?

If not, some cheap hairs or clothes (wrestling like clothes would be cool)?

And Masks for Lucha-Renders, would be cool.

If I have them, I will create some more renders and post here, no problem.

Thanks!

It's not a request thread, but only of terms of people asking for us to make them renders. Questions about Daz in here are encouraged. The more folks doing these the better. The main place for freebies is Renderosity.com, so that should be your first stop. I regularly scour that place for new stuff, or even stuff I skipped over in the past. There's also a freebies section on the Daz3d community forums, but I can't say I've been there often. I do remember there being a big list of free Hair on there at one point, with plenty of M4 stuff.

Masks... No idea. Struggled with that myself.

EDIT: List of Free Hair http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=94410

Couple of my M3 guys. The Archangels of Death. Raphael & Uriel.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p366/celdom/Self%20UK%20Temp/Raphael.jpghttp://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p366/celdom/Self%20UK%20Temp/Uriel.jpg

Can't say I've ever happened upon any. I tend to use the M4 Bodysuit and make everything invisible except for the little bit around the wrists.

On a similar topic, I've struggled to find a good M4 mask. The only one I found had no eyeholes, and I really don't want to have to get into transmaps. I feel I've got a couple of good masked characters inside me (giggle) so if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged.

Like Self said, using the bodysuit and hiding areas is one method. Hard to say with wrist bands beyond that, I've got some for M2 via and old wrestling set, but I've never seen it for any other models. Maybe try thinking outside the box a little and look for... I don't know, Barbarian props or something and see if there are some gauntlet-things or arm protectors you can resize and use.

Now though, I mainly make wrist and hand taping by just creating it on the body/skin texture itself.

Basic transmapping isn't too taxing. If you can make a texture, you can make a transmap. Create image, give it a white background, make some black shapes on it (the black bits become the see-through portions), apply it and reposition shapes if needed until your openings are wherever you want them to be. I use Sharby's freebie Spiderman mask (not sure if the download is still valid anymore at renderosity) for many of my masked renders, you'd have to make a transmap for it, but it's not specifically for M2 or anything, so it would probably work. At worst you can manually position it.

Like Self said, using the bodysuit and hiding areas is one method. Hard to say with wrist bands beyond that, I've got some for M2 via and old wrestling set, but I've never seen it for any other models. Maybe try thinking outside the box a little and look for... I don't know, Barbarian props or something and see if there are some gauntlet-things or arm protectors you can resize and use.

Now though, I mainly make wrist and hand taping by just creating it on the body/skin texture itself.

Basic transmapping isn't too taxing. If you can make a texture, you can make a transmap. Create image, give it a white background, make some black shapes on it (the black bits become the see-through portions), apply it and reposition shapes if needed until your openings are wherever you want them to be. I use Sharby's freebie Spiderman mask (not sure if the download is still valid anymore at renderosity) for many of my masked renders, you'd have to make a transmap for it, but it's not specifically for M2 or anything, so it would probably work. At worst you can manually position it.

I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been. I can do wrist tape by tweaking things like you and Self said. In my mind I was thinking taped hands (like Punk/HHH) but put down wrist tape. I've tried doing as the bolded says, I'm just not that good at doing it yet lol.

Very cool Trell. Any particular place I should be looking to find tats like that?

nope, i just searched google for hours till I found ones that I liked :), any tattoo designs will work, all you need to do is cut the white out and put it on the skin

Archived