TEW10 Render Thread

I had my first proper play around with textures (T-shirt and tattoos), transparency maps (T-shirt) and lights this afternoon and came up with this...

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Altverse/DorothyGayle.jpg

...I'll be the first to admit my lighting isn't the greatest but, in general, I'm pleased with the outcome. I realise her face is basically the default V4 but I spent so long working on the rest of the image that I couldn't be bothered, which is also the excuse I'm using for the somethings-not-quite-there-yet facial expression :p

And no, I'm not Glenn Charpantier - he just made the background. :D

Very cool jhd, it's awesome to see you rendering again. I'd say the tats are just about perfect, right opacity i.e. not too dark and of course. And of course, respect for the DAVE top.

Great stuff guys, it's also nice to see some of your work Chris as I think you had pretty much stopped rendering (well at least posting your work) around the time I got a hold of Poser.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very cool jhd, it's awesome to see you rendering again. I'd say the tats are just about perfect, right opacity i.e. not too dark and of course. And of course, respect for the DAVE top.

Great stuff guys, it's also nice to see some of your work Chris as I think you had pretty much stopped rendering (well at least posting your work) around the time I got a hold of Poser.

/agree about jhd's render.

The first time I threw up some render's, was when there really weren't that many as good at everything (meaning, Posing, clothing, and rendering)..... How do I put it. I was hoping to set the standards higher. You come in and BANG! Standards were set:)

When everyone started staying up to date with the new models (David and such at the time), I kind of was left in the dust, as I didn't have any of the newer stuff. I think you and me are amoung the few to still use Poser (for example). Daz is the new craze, yet I haven't been able to get into it (although I have it, lol). It's faster it seems, but the new materials folder and such in poser are just not shown in DAZ, which makes alot of the stuff I mess around with unusable in DAZ.

... and about 66 million for the ComVerse to do :p

Hey, we're getting there :p Well over half the 1160 workers have renders now, I think we may even be ready for a beta in the next few months :eek:

I've played with Daz a bit but what do I need to buy so all my render's faces look different?

Is it different models i.e Michael, Freak etc. or are there pack where you can pick noses and other things

What you need to pick up is Micheal Morphs++ (Victoria Morphs++ for female renders), that'll allow you to play with things a LOT more. There are face morphs you can then download and apply to the figure if you wish or do your own with the sliders. Hope that helps ;)

I've played with Daz a bit but what do I need to buy so all my render's faces look different?

Is it different models i.e Michael, Freak etc. or are there pack where you can pick noses and other things

You'll need the morphs++ pack which you can find here for M4;

http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/michael-4-morphs?item=7878&spmeta=rq&_m=d

It is on offer if you buy it today (it'd be about a tenner) but, to be honest, it has been on offer almost constantly for the last three weeks. If you don't want to rush into buying then just keep checking, there's bound to be another sale or three on over the next month.

I went for M4 Complete;

http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=7879

...plus a higher res texture (the Elite textures are the best, obviously). After that you should be fine with freebies.

You'll need the morphs++ pack which you can find here for M4;

http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/michael-4-morphs?item=7878&spmeta=rq&_m=d

It is on offer if you buy it today (it'd be about a tenner) but, to be honest, it has been on offer almost constantly for the last three weeks. If you don't want to rush into buying then just keep checking, there's bound to be another sale or three on over the next month.

I went for M4 Complete;

http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=7879

...plus a higher res texture (the Elite textures are the best, obviously). After that you should be fine with freebies.

Thanks, how long has it took you to get to the standard your at now (which is great)

Edit: Also does the second one include everything that is in the top link?

Thanks, how long has it took you to get to the standard your at now (which is great)

Well before my computer died I did about three weeks worth of Daz. The current renders were started about two weeks ago(ish). It's just a case of practising - getting a face to look like someone else is hard (which is why mine don't really look like the originals) but it's still a good place to start. There's loads of renderers at the moment and I've always found them to be most helpful.

Edit: Also does the second one include everything that is in the top link?

If you open the What's Included & Features it will tell you but M4 Complete basically includes Michael 4 Base (which you won't need to download again), the morphs++ I mentioned, a hair style (which I used for Sean McFly), the standard textures (which you will already have) and the clothing collection seen here;

http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/stylin-for-m4?item=8044&_m=d

To be honest, you could easily get away with just Morphs++, especially if you are only doing headshots. Hair you can get for free and a lot of clothing you can find for free too. I would consider getting a better texture than default though - ideally Elite, but only when on sale.

Thanks a lot, now to do some thinking.

Do you get the free stuff from renderosity?

No problem. Yeah the free stuff you can get from all over but Renderosity and ShareCG are the two I use most of the time. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

No problem. Yeah the free stuff you can get from all over but Renderosity and ShareCG are the two I use most of the time. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

If I do get into it I will, thanks for the tips

And sharecg and mostdigitalcreations are VERRRRY usefull

EDIT: lol, jhd1 beats me to it again

Thanks

All this talk about rendering got me in the mood.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p366/celdom/Full/ZackSnakebite.png

Tried something a little different in that I decided to do the legs. I found posing legs an awfully foreign concept, and it turns out I don't have a very good pair of boots in my Runtime. Oh well, 'twas fun at least.

All this talk about rendering got me in the mood.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p366/celdom/Full/ZackSnakebite.png

Tried something a little different in that I decided to do the legs. I found posing legs an awfully foreign concept, and it turns out I don't have a very good pair of boots in my Runtime. Oh well, 'twas fun at least.

Very cool render, and very cool hair.

What's the hair name? :)

That would be Hikari Hair. Morphed some, with a few layers set to transparent, to make it look more manly.

Looking at it now, I'm a bit disappointed. I'm at the stage where I can't be bothered to render unless I'm doing something really outlandish or intricate or unique, but I also can't sit for 4 straight hours fiddling with dials like I used to. Should have gone much farther with this chap; his shorts, maybe some tattoos... I failed me.

That would be Hikari Hair. Morphed some, with a few layers set to transparent, to make it look more manly.

Looking at it now, I'm a bit disappointed. I'm at the stage where I can't be bothered to render unless I'm doing something really outlandish or intricate or unique, but I also can't sit for 4 straight hours fiddling with dials like I used to. Should have gone much farther with this chap; his shorts, maybe some tattoos... I failed me.

The fact that you think work like that constitutes a fail makes me want to punch you in the ear. I think it is great!

Thanks. :)

It really looks amazing as is though. ^_^

Sure, he looks good (except for the chest hair) but I didn't really try out anything new with him. He's another generic wrestling guy made from my mix & match barrel of bits & bobs. Which is fine, but I want to push the envelope in terms of inventiveness and innovation. Less Drew McIntyre. More Goldust.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p366/celdom/Full/ZackSnakebiteCut.jpg

Sure, he looks good (except for the chest hair) but I didn't really try out anything new with him. He's another generic wrestling guy made from my mix & match barrel of bits & bobs. Which is fine, but I want to push the envelope in terms of inventiveness and innovation. Less Drew McIntyre. More Goldust.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p366/celdom/Full/ZackSnakebiteCut.jpg

When you put it in those terms, I can see what you mean. As a person who does mods, i can't get enough quality images of 'young, clean cut, wrestling guy' because they're easy to place and easy to create characters for. To me, that's incredibly useful.

But on your end, I'm sure you enjoy creating truly unique works that people instantly recognize.

If it makes you feel better, your render for GRIN is still one of the most unique renders I've ever seen on these boards. Nothing else even comes close to that look in a lot of ways.

The fact that you think work like that constitutes a fail makes me want to punch you in the ear. I think it is great!

Quiet, you. :)

Your renders are top notch. you do stuff with masks and props that are just insane. No need to cry out for attention. ;)

/agree about jhd's render.

The first time I threw up some render's, was when there really weren't that many as good at everything (meaning, Posing, clothing, and rendering)..... How do I put it. I was hoping to set the standards higher. You come in and BANG! Standards were set:)

When everyone started staying up to date with the new models (David and such at the time), I kind of was left in the dust, as I didn't have any of the newer stuff. I think you and me are amoung the few to still use Poser (for example). Daz is the new craze, yet I haven't been able to get into it (although I have it, lol). It's faster it seems, but the new materials folder and such in poser are just not shown in DAZ, which makes alot of the stuff I mess around with unusable in DAZ.

Yep, we're very much in the same boat now. It's too much hassle (and money) to keep up with half the stuff DAZ is churning out now. I do have M4, but tbh I don't actually enjoy rendering him. Not sure why exactly, although it's partly because he's a bit too effortlessly good to use and partly because I hate the way the bridge of his nose seems constantly messed up when morphing his face. I think J Silver still uses Poser. I haven't downloaded DAZ Studio myself or tried it, mainly for the same reason as you.

I struggle to just 'render' these days. Unless it's something specific or interesting that I want to render, it feels rather like just slapping random parts together and rendering for the result. I seem to be lacking inspiration somewhat these days. I guess that's part of the reason why I miss the old render request threads, (not wishing to open up that can of worms again tho) because despite many requests being fairly basic, there were several gems that popped up and resulted in renders that I won't have tried had I been left to my own devices.

Actually, it's ironic that PH's post is the one prior to mine as his avatar was probably the last unique render I put together on the forums that involved stepping out of a rendering comfort zone and experimenting a bit.

Thats funny that you talk about the request thread, cause I was thiinking of doing one the other day but I didnt know how the other renders felt, I just didnt want to be stuck doing all the request by myself :)(although it would help to get some characters for my mod also :))

Here is an off Topic one that I did

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/EkimNosneb/Warrior2.pnghttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/EkimNosneb/WARRIOR.png

I guess that's part of the reason why I miss the old render request threads, (not wishing to open up that can of worms again tho) because despite many requests being fairly basic, there were several gems that popped up and resulted in renders that I won't have tried had I been left to my own devices.

Thats funny that you talk about the request thread, cause I was thiinking of doing one the other day but I didnt know how the other renders felt, I just didnt want to be stuck doing all the request by myself :)(although it would help to get some characters for my mod also :))

Well...and this is just a suggestion...but it seems like the mods always seem to produce some great renders. I mean, some of sebs' best work ever was/is in the GDS Verse (and eventually in the default), the 77/77 CV mod has gotten amazing work from (again) sebsplex, SadisticBlessings, jtlant, Self, Trell, etc. And recently some of the most unique renders I've ever seen pumped out have been London's stuff in the community mod.

Maybe tag along with some people working on the mods?

Maybe tag along with some people working on the mods?

While it is always a cool idea, it never usually pans out for me, I've been apart of 4 mods since 07 and they usually dont pan out due to people dropping out or wanting all of there characters to be amazing while expecting mine or others to be garbage.

I might just start up another request thread but it will be set up the same way clarity had it set up back in the day, where you PM me and I will post it in the main page and after a few requests we stop taking them so we can catch up and then continue off of there.(probably wont be till after the holidays though)

Might be able to get into a render request thread. As usual for me, the more obligation I feel, the less likely I am to do something, but if some interesting ideas come about, who knows? I'm running low on ideas myself, and on the cusp of a rendering mood.

Archived