TEW 2010 General F.A.Q.

Considering the fact that every year there are a handful of questions that pop up on a weekly basis and that it's somewhat tedious trying to look through the every growing question threads, I believe a general F.A.Q. would be appropriate.

I will try to post the most common questions here. If I miss anything noteworthy or any of my information is inaccurate or inadequate, please post.

Note: This F.A.Q. is for general questions about game features and terminology and is not meant to be a tutorial. Also, I will try to avoid replicating the help file by, at the very least, providing a bit more detail on redundant info.

If you can't find your answer here or in the help file, this thread regarding TEW 08 may help. It seems that much of the information found there is still valid. If that still isn't enough, check the other threads or perhaps post your own!

If you are looking for help here, make sure you have read the help file first. Most questions will be answered there.

**Questions Regarding Workers**

Q. Why can't I get my workers to take sick bumps/work dangerous matches?

A. There are various reasons why workers will refuse risky spots or matches. One key factor is the worker's conservativeness. Matches that feature "High" and "Very High" content risks in particular will require workers that are very liberal minded. Another factor is the context of the given match. Workers are more likely to agree to such material at more important shows or more important spots on your card. A worker is much more likely to agree to a high spot during a PPV main event than during the dark match of a TV show!

Aside from the above reasons, physical condition and age are taken into consideration as well. Generally, common sense will point to why a worker denies such a match or angle. Conservative, older workers are less inclined to do risky things than healthier, younger, more liberal workers.

Adam Ryland has this to say on the matter:

Being Driven, Bold, young, a Spot Monkey \ Brawler \ Psychopath, and resilient are all attributes that will increase the chance.

Being Egotistical, Timid, Hesitant, old, a Puro \ Technician, and injury prone are all attributes that decrease the chance.

The smaller the show, the higher the score the worker needs to get to agree.

Q. What does Conservative/Liberal mean in TEW?

A. The Conservative/Liberal personality slider that was just added to TEW is a means to represent a worker's attitude towards risque products and the risky content of some angles/matches. Conservative workers will be less likely to sign with a promotion noted for a Risque product and they'll surely refuse to work a Barbed Wire match or something of that nature. Please note that the slider has nothing to do with political orientation.

**Questions Regarding Booking**

Q. What is "Perfect Show Theory"?

A. Perfect Show Theory is the idea of wrestling events needing to take the audience on a sort of rollercoaster ride of action in order to be most successful. In other words, the high and low points of a show should, generally, alternate to create "peaks and valleys". It should be noted that the last 2 or 3 segments of the show should be relatively highly rated. Having a valley as the second-to-last segment of a show is not recommended

As an example, a show featuring 7 segments rated, in order, as D-, D+, D+, D+, C, C+, C+ does not follow Perfect Show Theory.

However, a show with 7 segments rated C-, D-, C, D, C+, C+, B- is a better representation of a show booked to match PST.

The main event (the final match of your show) is by far the most important segment of all. The final show rating will normally be within a few percent of your main event's rating. After the main event, the second-to-last match and the first match are next in line for importance (respectively), but the main event really makes and breaks the end result.

(In addition to peaks and valleys, it's also generally good for shows to be slightly "top heavy". You don't want your first match to be so good that it burns out the crowd!)

Q. The Dirt Sheet says I was penalized for match length. Does that mean it was too long?

A. If it simply says it was penalized for length, that means it was too short. If you run a match that is too long, it will say something along the lines of "too long for those involved".

Q. I am booking exactly as my fed's expected match lengths suggest, but I still get match length penalties! Why?

A. The expected match lengths listed in the product are only used by the AI. When the AI is running this fed, it will generally stick to the expected match lengths as well as the adjacent ratios regarding singles matches, tag matches, etc.

The expected match lengths do not come into play when the user is booking a company at all. How long the audience expects a match to be is closely linked to how popular and/or skilled the workers involved are. No one wants to see The Minor Annoyance in a 60 Minute Iron Man match...

Q. I got a chemistry penalty and it didn't create a new chemistry entry between the workers in the given match. Why?

A. Penalties like "chemistry (motivation)" do not have to do with chemistry between multiple workers but rather between a single worker and the context of the match they are in. Some workers don't try as hard on smaller shows and some crack under pressure when placed in the main event. The seemingly inane news articles that pop up about various workers will key you in on some of the possibilities.

Q. How do I book loss of hair stipulations/high spots?

A. Both of these can be found in the road agent notes.

**Questions Regarding Company Management**

Q. How do I reinstate an inactive title belt/How do I activate a title belt I have purchased?

A. The title belt screen will only initially show active belts. Use the filter option to see all titles belonging to your company.

Q. Why can't I make money?

A. Normally this issue comes up at one point or another, but most trouble seems to pop up when a company goes Cult. Cult sized companies have much higher "miscellaneous" costs than regional feds. Also, if your company, regardless of size, has inexplicably high expenses, there's plenty of possible reasons why. One possibility is that the company you are using has a drug testing policy. Another possibility is that your backstage rules offer things like catering or transportation. Also, keep in mind that travel expenses for workers start to build up and your merchandise intake can drop quickly if you offer a cut to a worker to get them to sign.

In general, cutting expenses an trying to squeeze the most out of what you can afford is the main obstacle in the game. It's not always easy. For cult companies, I recommend trying to get a PPV deal where you get at least 10% of the income. If you have good shows and are large enough, you can earn substantial money this way.

----------

So, there's the first batch of questions. If you think of more worth posting here, let me know!

Update the "sick bump" requirements thanks to this helpful post by Adam:

Being Driven, Bold, young, a Spot Monkey \ Brawler \ Psychopath, and resilient are all attributes that will increase the chance.

Being Egotistical, Timid, Hesitant, old, a Puro \ Technician, and injury prone are all attributes that decrease the chance.

The smaller the show, the higher the score the worker needs to get to agree.

As it works in peaks and valleys, you'll want to make sure you don't get two good or two bad matches together with the exclusion of the final two matches.

I suppose if you have 2 dark matches, it may be worthwhile applying the perfect show theory to them.

- Decent Dark Match

- Just Okay Dark Match

- Better Opening Match

I think the objective here is to not burn out the crowd otherwise your first match may be seen as a disappointment.

What annoys me is that for the very first match, dark or not, the crowd is always hot. And if you want to use some spare workers and have a dark match that ain't great, it can kill the mood, which to me doesn't make much sense because once the show proper starts, that's when the buzz kicks in.

As for post-show MEs...I guess they don't really have any effect on the crowd cause nothing comes after?

To be fair The Shape I've been to a couple of WWE tv tapings where the dark matches were so bad it killed the crowd for the start of the taping, so it can happen. I don't really remember specific matches but I remember one was a chavo match, he was the first person to come out and the crowd were silent. Ironicly it was a great show, a double smackdown taping, that ended with.....undertaker putting chavo in a casket! So Taker went to the back, big exit, then chavo got let out and his music hit and that was how the show started and ended, with chavo's music and no one caring.

Perhaps you should explain to people that Conservative/Liberal has nothing to do with the workers political preferences.

Conservative-Liberal Liberal workers are more open to taking part in matches and angles that have questionable content. Conservative workers will be less inclined to want to work for risqué promotions. (NB: This stat has nothing to do with a worker’s political views.)

I've seen several people completely mistaken about this already.

To be fair The Shape I've been to a couple of WWE tv tapings where the dark matches were so bad it killed the crowd for the start of the taping, so it can happen. I don't really remember specific matches but I remember one was a chavo match, he was the first person to come out and the crowd were silent. Ironicly it was a great show, a double smackdown taping, that ended with.....undertaker putting chavo in a casket! So Taker went to the back, big exit, then chavo got let out and his music hit and that was how the show started and ended, with chavo's music and no one caring.

I've learned not to use dark matches as throw-aways because they do bring the crowd's mood down if they're bad.

What I usually do is double-book my main eventers. So If I have Jack Bruce vs. Remo in the main event, the dark matches will be Jack Bruce vs. opener in a squash match, Remo vs. opener in a squash match.

Sure it's not innovative but they'll get solid ratings (often better then my midcard or tag team matches) and still give the low card guys a match to develop popularity and skills.

For me the "throw-away" time is the matches right after the opening act. You do an opening act, then a crappy match to cool the crowd down. This is where you put those jobber vs. jobber or jobber royal rumbles. Then you do a hot angle and then a hot match to get things heated back up again and continue on.

A TEW FAQ, on my GDS?

I kid, there's probably been one before, I've just never seen it.

Now if only we can expand this and get it stickied... (and then make one for the modding forum :p)

There are plenty of teenie questions worth answering, but I think focusing on the commonly wondered about stuff keeps things concise. As I start getting into games and come across things I wonder about or used to wonder about, this will continue to grow.

A sticky would be nice though. :D

Since I have seen the same question asked like 30 times, can you add a "promotions FAQ" or something and in it specify that the reason MAW loses money every months is because they have a drug testing policy that was not in TEW 08?

I added a more general question that addresses the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
I have found that getting people to lose their hair or masks is pretty much impossible. Some guys complain because their mask prestige is low, others simply refuse to lose it. Same with hair. Anyone has actually managed to book one of this sucessfully?

I have found that getting people to lose their hair or masks is pretty much impossible. Some guys complain because their mask prestige is low, others simply refuse to lose it. Same with hair. Anyone has actually managed to book one of this sucessfully?

Messing around with my NYCW game, The Masked Mauler was willing to unmask but wanted 2k to do so. Silver Shark wanted 3k. Insane Machine would do it but, it had to be on a big show. I dont think NYCW will be big enough to get too many people to agree to it.

Archived