The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Looking at the weigh ins Carwin isn't as much smaller than Brock as I thought and I'm leaning more and more towards him.

I can't wait.

A lot of people are sneaking over to the Carwin side of the fence this week... Not sure why. Carwin put on a lot of muscle for this fight, you can tell... He's not going to beat Lesnar unless he KO's him in the first couple of minutes(wouldn't be that big of a shocker considering his resume). But all of that extra muscle he's put on is going to hinder him, especially if he can't stop Brock's explosive shots. He's not going to bench press Lesnar off of him like he did Gonzaga, and if he does, I'll never doubt a member of Jackson's camp again.

People see Brock and they go "Wow, that guy is massive. That must be why he wins..." But in actuality it's the fact that he's massive coupled with goliath retard strength and speed that someone his size shouldn't even have. As much cyborg joking that Fedor got, I think we should honestly be looking at Lesnar as a real cyborg...

Not only am I picking Lesnar to win this, but it'll be in violent fashion around the second round.

I'm not going to let the fact that Fedor had a stupid game plan and lost sway my opinion that Lesnar is going to absolutely demolish Carwin. The guy is tailor-made to be beaten by Lesnar. Lesser wrestling, and much much slower... Only helps Lesnar that the guy threw on more muscle before the fight. The only reason Carwin is even here right now is because Frank Mir focused on the same thing Carwin is now... Putting on muscle instead of drilling technique. Not to mention Frank's fatal overconfidence in his stand-up. Fighting muscle with muscle against Lesnar when you don't have all of his athletic gifts is just absolutely stupid.

There's lots of things speaking for Lesnar. The speed difference is going to be ridiculous, probably more than it was in Evans - Rampage. Brock is a better technical striker (in the sense that he usually keeps his hands up and his chin tucked.) He is credentially a better wrestler. He's going to have, what, like six months training with an excellent camp coming into the fight and he's clearly got an aptitude for the game.

But I think people are overestimating Brock's wrestling ability since both Herring and Couture stuffed his shot and I wouldn't be surprised if Carwin could either sprawl effectively or use the cage the way he did in the Gonzaga fight to repeatedly get back to his feet. There's also the possibility that he'll be successful in pushing Lesnar against the cage and, while not doing what he did to Mir (who looked absolutely lost in there) he might get some knees in on Lesnar's power leg or maybe score with some small punches.

On the other hand this is a guy who was outstruck by Neil Wain, fights with his front leg so ridiculously exposed it'll take three leg kicks to chop it down, has an unknown gas tank, ate three counter shots from Gonzaga and only throws 1-2s.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I have no idea who will win. I'm still favoring Lesnar but I wouldn't be surprised to Carwin get the nod. I suspect we'll know within two minutes who has the wrestling advantage and that's going to dictate the rest of the fight.

I am calling Lesnar hits an F-5 but it only stuns the beast Carwin so Brock goes to the top of the cage and lands a shooting star press(this time without the concussion). And as Bruce Buffer is announcing the winner and White is putting the belt around Lesnars waste the lights go out.....Quaw Quaw Quaw.....Lights on...stomach kick followed by EVENFLOW...Lesnar is out and Raven is your new Heavyweight Champion!!!!!!

Quote the Raven Nevermore!

There's lots of things speaking for Lesnar. The speed difference is going to be ridiculous, probably more than it was in Evans - Rampage. Brock is a better technical striker (in the sense that he usually keeps his hands up and his chin tucked.) He is credentially a better wrestler. He's going to have, what, like six months training with an excellent camp coming into the fight and he's clearly got an aptitude for the game.

But I think people are overestimating Brock's wrestling ability since both Herring and Couture stuffed his shot and I wouldn't be surprised if Carwin could either sprawl effectively or use the cage the way he did in the Gonzaga fight to repeatedly get back to his feet. There's also the possibility that he'll be successful in pushing Lesnar against the cage and, while not doing what he did to Mir (who looked absolutely lost in there) he might get some knees in on Lesnar's power leg or maybe score with some small punches.

On the other hand this is a guy who was outstruck by Neil Wain, fights with his front leg so ridiculously exposed it'll take three leg kicks to chop it down, has an unknown gas tank, ate three counter shots from Gonzaga and only throws 1-2s.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I have no idea who will win. I'm still favoring Lesnar but I wouldn't be surprised to Carwin get the nod. I suspect we'll know within two minutes who has the wrestling advantage and that's going to dictate the rest of the fight.

That's a good point about Carwin's stance, if you remember back to Lesnar's victory over Mir, one good leg kick from Brock left a red welt on Mir's inner thigh. Maybe we'll see some leg kicks from Brock tonight?

I still like Brock via ground and pound, but I don't think it's a given. So much could happen, that's why MMA is so great.

Wow... That slam from Harris was absolutely nasty. Dude's nickname should be "Ron Simmons". Gerald "Ron Simmons" Harris

Furthermore, forget drilling any other submissions... Just train triangles... What's the deal? Leben is maturing... WANDDDDDDDDDDERRRRLEEEEIII SILVA VS. CHRIS LEBEN would be an AWESOME fight to go into Japan with, please make it happen Prince Dana.

Some thoughts before I go to bed

Brock rules. People are gonna give him a lot of flak for his performance but he got caught, survived like three minutes of Carwin's punches and came back strong. Cain is gonna beat him though.

I love Chris Leben and I hate Akiyama. That fight was awesome and that was the best triangle of all time.

GRAPPLE MORE LYTLE YOU ARE VERY GOOD AT THAT ALSO IT'S FUN TO WATCH

Bonnar gets a win in a sloppy slugfest. This makes me happy.

Soritopouasdlou is so much fun to watch. He never stops grappling and working.

KO SLAM GOD DAMN. Gerald Harris has had nothing but tough undercard fights and I hope this means he gets a main card spot.

Brendan did what I thought he'd do.

Petruzelli... don't get caught by straight armbars. It's slightly embarrassing.

This card was absolutely fantastic.

If Lesnar beats Velasquez convincingly, I'm pretty sure the only person who can beat Lesnar is Nogueira if he can time travel back before all his damage set in... and even then it would have to be a no time limit match or scored under PRIDE rules where they had it for bottom more often. And that'd have to be a good night for Prime Nog.

I knew Leben was going to win after he survived Akiyama's ground game in the first round. Akiyama gasses, he's always a monster in the first round and then he's just somewhat game the rest of the way. I still thought he was on his way to beating Leben by decision, which would have sucked... So when Leben won by triangle, which didn't even look properly applied.... I couldn't believe it. Until I stopped and remembered Akiyama = gas tank zero.

It was certainly impressive. If Carwin's bombs couldn't put Brock away and Mir couldn't do anything with him on the ground, who can beat him? No one for a long time IMO.

I've been rewatching the footage and it seems like Brock only ate two or three clean punches and an elbow. The rest was hitting his hands or were the pitter patter punches Carwin started throwing once he punched himself out. I'm not saying Brock has a bad chin but he didn't take Mark Hunt levels of punishment.

Also Frank Mir isn't very good off his back. He's dangerous with submissions if you let him but positionally he's an idiot and he'll let people punch him in the face while working for things.

The good thing about we learned about Lesnar tonight is that he doesn't break like Frank Mir, Brandon Vera or fighters like this do. The bad things are that he couldn't take Carwin down until he gassed and that he was clobbered with a running uppercut.

I stick by my prediction that Velasquez either takes a dominant decision or late TKO stoppage. He doesn't have the ridiculous power Carwin has but he won't gas, won't punch himself out, has a much wider and crisper striking arsenal and has a very good defensive wrestling base and a good clinch game. He'll be giving up like 30 pounds to Lesnar but I think he'll be able to work through it.

I think it was a bad idea for Mir and Carwin to bulk up, their bodies were pretty clearly not used to the weight.

I just want to be part of Sherdog so I decided to hate him! :p That was pretty impressive for him to pull that submission as I wouldn't have ever guessed that he even knows what submission is! (Expect for Brock Lock of course!)

He's been training with an ADCC absolute champion for three years, I don't think it's much of a stretch that he's picked up a few submissions.

Also Frank Mir isn't very good off his back. He's dangerous with submissions if you let him but positionally he's an idiot and he'll let people punch him in the face while working for things.

It doesn't sound right but then again I can't think clearly right now for whatever reason. Give me an example.

It doesn't sound right but then again I can't think clearly right now for whatever reason. Give me an example.

His fight with Ian Freeman is the perfect example of everything that's wrong with Frank Mir and he hasn't changed a bit despite becoming the world's largest man in six months.

He gets outwrestled by an Englishman, decides it's a good idea to leave his face completely exposed while working for a heel hook, takes some nasty punches and from that point on the fight is over because when Frank Mir gets hit hard he gives up.

He's a good enough fighter in a bad enough division that he'll always be floating around the upper middle by beating guys like Kongo but he'll never reach the top again because of his wrestling deficiencies, his positional bottom game not being very good and most importantly his mental flaws.

I went to a UFC party last night. I sat in a room with 20 people. I was the ONLY one cheering for Lesnar. Every other one was a anti-wrestling dumbass who could only say that Lesnar can't fight he is just into that fake ****. Ummm ok Lesnar was one of the baddest amateur wrestlers known to man. Anyway...So Brock won me almost $200 last night. Better then that I got to make my rounds around the room and tell each one of them to kiss my ass