The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Big thumbs up for Ken Shamrock vs. James Toney...:rolleyes:

I don't even know what to say about this. Surprise, surprise, it's in Texas. That means we'll probably be seeing 'Super Ken' again. Either that or he's being paid to take a dive, neither of which would at all surprise me. I was told at a recent event by someone who trains with the Lion's Den guys that Ken's knees are so bad right now that he can no longer do double or single leg takedowns.

A couple of years ago I thought he'd turned into a joke...now I just feel sorry for him. It's hard to respect a guy who doesn't respect himself.

Oh and the best part? As if this wasn't already enough of a joke, it's likely going to be a mixed rules fight. 1st round stand up, 2nd round MMA etc.

Everything is speculation at this point but I was thinking it has to be some actual medical problem, not something like PED's as others have done it and not been fired. Such as either failing his pre-fight blood work (HIV), or pre-existing injury he didn't disclose but could have. "Oh yeah by the way I got a concussion last week in training camp". It has to be something that Nate himself had some control over or Dana wouldn't be pissed and fired him. Thiago pulled out with that brain thing and Dana was supportive so it can't be something like that.

edit: Kind of a PS and once again speculation but wonder if he pulled out cause of anxiety/panic type stuff like Karo did, that could get him fired.

There has to be something else going on here if at 11am he was right where he wanted to be. Maybe it is me but something didn't look right about Marquart's face, now that could of been due to the weight loss. There is supposed to be a press conference at 4pm EST today where an explanation is expected to be given. Very odd stuff indeed.

Is it the weight cut? He was 172.6 at first, then 170.8, and actually didn't look like a dried up husk like Mayhem did when he did his cut, or Anthony Johnson, when he does his weight cut everytime. He looked a lot smaller, but not dried up. It makes me wonder...

He failed his medical. Would you fail a medical for drugs in the system or would they flag it up separately? You also tend to hear of fighters failing tests after the fights too. Plenty of fighters have failed and not been given a lifetime ban or even a cut from the UFC. I don't know much about the drug testing system in place but what limited stuff I know or think I know contradicts the series of events here.

I'd guess it's a medical condition or disease he's hidden from everyone all along.

I predict it to be a serius medical deise, like and STD, which i was reading could be the likely cause.

They've said it's not serious. Could be an STD, hence why he didn't know about it and was heartbroken about not be able to fight, why he said he'll be back and it's quite a bad image for a professional athlete to have, hence the firing.

Maybe.

Enough people have said Nate was fine for making the weight that I'd say that's unlikely to be the problem. If it was, I doubt Dana would fire him over it plus Nate is apparently also not going to be allowed in Strikeforce, so it's far worse than that. I'd say it's probably some kind of serious, communicable disease, likely Hep C or something.

Enough people have said Nate was fine for making the weight that I'd say that's unlikely to be the problem. If it was, I doubt Dana would fire him over it plus Nate is apparently also not going to be allowed in Strikeforce, so it's far worse than that. I'd say it's probably some kind of serious, communicable disease, likely Hep C or something.

Wait, if something like that is the case, how long has Nate has had it? Dana might fire someone over that, but he seemed a bit more pissed off than usual, under similar circumstances. He would release the guy, but state "come back when he has crap together" something along those lines.

Wait, if something like that is the case, how long has Nate has had it? Dana might fire someone over that, but he seemed a bit more pissed off than usual, under similar circumstances. He would release the guy, but state "come back when he has crap together" something along those lines.

I think it would seriously piss Dana off if it came out that not only did Nate have some serious disease but that he'd known about it for some time and not told anyone. If this was something that even Nate only found out about in the pre-fight testing, then Dana would have been more understanding and not fired the guy in such a terse manner and put him on the Strikeforce blacklist. It could be Hep C, an STD or anything, but whatever it is, it was something that really pissed Dana off, and I think the odds favour it being something Nate has kept secret that the pre-fight testing uncovered. I guess it could be weight-related, but for Dana to go off like that makes me think it's a disease.