The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Would that be something they could have known about for a while and asked him to solve though? As it seems they heard about it weeks ago, he led them on, but they still had Brenneman in reserve.

yeah, you could see he was cutting as well.

Anyways Marquardt is screwed, he ether will fight for bellator or DREAM, nether big in the casual mma fans eyes.

Would that be something they could have known about for a while and asked him to solve though? As it seems they heard about it weeks ago, he led them on, but they still had Brenneman in reserve.

Could have been. If he'd played it down to them or convinced them that he could find a doctor that would clear him to fight.

Ahh, for a minute there I though they were going to show the hype video they use at live events on the FB stream.

If you've never been to a live UFC you probably won't have seen it, but it's one of the most epic highlight vids ever committed to film, and its set to 'Baba O'Riley' by The Who. Almost worth the price of admission in itself.

Yeah the Who vid is on youtube, very popular, they should play it actually on TV.

Morecraft looked out cold for a second there. A lot of fights actually not being stopped quick enough for my liking atm.

edit; I f'ing love Mitrione. A few weeks ago Helwani read out a tweet I sent on his show to Mitrione saying I'd never seen him fight but he was becoming one of my favourite fighters, now I have and he still is =D

And yet I think I'd rather every fight was done like that :p

Well, the problem isn't so much he's standing up the fight because of boring ground game, it's that he's standing them up way too quickly. The guys are barely 9 seconds on the ground and he stands them up.

Give them some time. If neither are reallly doing anything, and after repeated warnings of action, THEN stand them up.

Just saw Anik retweet this. Not sure if there is actually anything to it as I have no idea who this guy is but according to @DrJCBenjamin (apparently a real Doctor).

UFC Nate Marquardt got suspended. I reviewed the PA medical forms. Most likely cause for the suspension is...Refusal to take drug test!!

Just saw Anik retweet this. Not sure if there is actually anything to it as I have no idea who this guy is but according to @DrJCBenjamin (apparently a real Doctor).

It's Jonny Benjamin, he is a real doc and is noted for his work in combat sports. He can be pretty sensationalist at times, but I see no reason to doubt it coming from him.

If it's true then Nate is an idiot.

....you've GOT to be kidding me.

Edit: So I was looking at NBCsports.com's interview with Greg Serb of the PA commission. They can't say why they've suspended him, but that they have indefinitely suspended him, and he says they will probably reinstate him unless something else comes up. Also, no fine is likely is to come up at this point in time.

It's Jonny Benjamin, he is a real doc and is noted for his work in combat sports. He can be pretty sensationalist at times, but I see no reason to doubt it coming from him.

If it's true then Nate is an idiot.

Then shouldn't Nate have took the drug test?

Holly ****, KO of the year right there

And FoN goes Lentz vs. Oliveira. Apparently Dana White thinks the way that the accidental illegal knee was mostly the referees fault, not of Oliveira. Why would he give him teh FoN then? And, of course, SoN goes Lauzon, with his sick Kimura with a triangle lock. You know, Lauzon's kimura was more devastating because of his triangle.

Just saw Kongo/Barry after falling asleep last night, crazy fight but the ref praise is ridiculous, he tries to stop the fight, fails and just lets it carry on. That's another one that ought to have been stopped, but the comeback was awesome.

Actually, I really don't think it should have been stopped. Even on the second Kongo knockdown, where he Jesus'd, he still began moving immediately. He wasn't stationary for any length of time at all after either knockdown, which is probably why the ref let it go.

Actually, I really don't think it should have been stopped. Even on the second Kongo knockdown, where he Jesus'd, he still began moving immediately. He wasn't stationary for any length of time at all after either knockdown, which is probably why the ref let it go.

Agreed - the fact that Cheick recovered enough to continue fighting and land a couple of fight ending blows just moments later says to me that he was ok to continue.

At the same time, I don't think it would have been the most criminal of fight stoppages had it happened. I've reffed a couple of fights before and I was more nervous than any time I've competed myself. I think it was a bold call by the ref to let the fight continue, and ultimately, it was the right one.

Agreed - the fact that Cheick recovered enough to continue fighting and land a couple of fight ending blows just moments later says to me that he was ok to continue.

At the same time, I don't think it would have been the most criminal of fight stoppages had it happened. I've reffed a couple of fights before and I was more nervous than any time I've competed myself. I think it was a bold call by the ref to let the fight continue, and ultimately, it was the right one.

Thing is one of the arguments I've often seen in the "MMA is safer than boxing" discussions is that in boxing fighters can get dazed and get a chance to recover and take further damage. Kongo may have recovered very quickly but he was still rocked badly twice and the damage from those blows remained. Had he not hit a huge punch out of nothing there'd have been questions over why the ref allowed him to take further damage.

My main irk is that the ref charged in and then changed his mind because he couldn't stop Barry, or at least that's how it seemed. Once your hand is on a fighter and you effect them like that you have to go through with the stoppage.