The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Jones's reach is all fine and dandy for his striking, but how about for his chokes? This is the third time he's put someone away with one of those freaky power guillotines of his: O'Brien, Bader, and Machida.

I think Jones is probably the #1 P4P fighter in the world right now. If he cruises through Rashad, there will be no doubt in my mind. And the dude is only 24 years old. Incredible. His legacy in this sport will be as big as he wants it to be.

Jones's reach is all fine and dandy for his striking, but how about for his chokes? This is the third time he's put someone away with one of those freaky power guillotines of his: O'Brien, Bader, and Machida.

I think Jones is probably the #1 P4P fighter in the world right now. If he cruises through Rashad, there will be no doubt in my mind. And the dude is only 24 years old. Incredible. His legacy in this sport will be as big as he wants it to be.

He has a good case, but if he beats Rashad, then he is definitely the P4P fighter in the world, because he's beat almost all contenders.

It's not so much that. There will always be contenders. It's more of how there's seemingly no weaknesses. How do you beat Jones? Elite muay thai couldn't come close, elite MMA boxing was never a threat, elite karate managed all of a couple good punches before getting dropped and choked out.

In my opinion, he's like GSP. His wrestling is good enough to determine where he wants the fight to take place, and while there may be fighters out there better than him in either striking or jiu-jitsu, there's no one out there that's better in both. If Rashad's wrestling isn't good enough to keep him out of that conundrum, who else would, could, have more than a puncher's chance? Jones will just take down any striker and stand and trade with any grappler. Just like the only fighter blueprint to beat GSP is to essentially be a better GSP, that's where it looks like Jones is heading, if he's not already there.

So yeah, I think Jones is like GSP, except Jones has more power and better chokes. That's pretty scary.

Great win for Mir, although I almost vomitted when I saw Nogueira's arm break.

When Jones missed the vast majority of his strikes in the first round and Lyoto landing a couple of his own, I thought to myself, "huh, maybe I overlooked Machida". However when Jones got in close and took the Dragon down I thought, "ah, that's what I expected to see".

When Jones had the McKenzitine locked in and Machida's arm dropped I was pretty amazed. It was the moment Jones kind of looked down at Machida when he had been in the choke for a while as if to say, "I think you're done" then when he released the hold and Machida flopped to the floor like a sack of old washing, I could just hear Jones saying to himself, "yeah, you're done son". Very, very cool.

Now, I don't dislike Jones at all, but I think he was a bit cocky coming into this fight. He claims he was "confused" in the first round, but I could tell he was bit too cocksure of himself and gave the first round to Machida. When he began to uncork a little bit on Machida, though, it was pretty much the end for Machida.

Machida's not used to getting hit, and he doesn't like it. It's not that he has a weak chin or poor striking defense, but he literally doesn't respond well to it. It also seems, once he gets sucked into his opponent's fight, it's the beginning of the end for him. He seems to be only able to fight one style. Effective as it is, if he is unable to implement it, he's got little else.

Zombie/Hominick was a good stoppage, because Hominick was clearly out. That kimura looked sick. Jones finishing Machida was almost as sick but in a totally different way. Also, there is a very strong rumour going around that Overeem is out of the Lesnar fight and Mir is taking his place. Whatever it is, it's apparently to do with the pre-fight testing, but it's rather hush-hush at the moment. This was a great UFC.

Forgot to mention the creation of a four man tournament to crown a Flyweight (125lbs) Champion on the March 3rd card in Australia, which is currently an FX event. The participants are:

Ian McCall vs. Demetrious Johnson

Yasuhiro Urushitani vs. Joseph Benavidez

The winners face off at a late date.

The one thing worth pointing out after the Mir/Big Nog fight, is that Mir was getting clobbered in stand-up before pulling out the kimura, so whilst this highlights his submission skill, I would still heavily favour Lesnar if they fight again.

More tiny people...I really couldn't care less about flyweights. I already get slightly annoyed sometimes by bantamweights, especially Cruz with his pitter patter, and 125lbs is just a weight where I don't think I give a crap who can beat the other up. Still I'm sure there'll be some crazy stuff to change my mind, but on a base level I care a lot less.

Now, I don't dislike Jones at all, but I think he was a bit cocky coming into this fight. He claims he was "confused" in the first round, but I could tell he was bit too cocksure of himself and gave the first round to Machida. When he began to uncork a little bit on Machida, though, it was pretty much the end for Machida.

I don't think any fighter have ever had more people play amateur psychologist on him than Jones has. It's crazy. Even Rogan last night was trying to sell how tentative Jones was in the second, even while Jones was throwing head kicks and spinning back kicks.

More tiny people...I really couldn't care less about flyweights. I already get slightly annoyed sometimes by bantamweights, especially Cruz with his pitter patter, and 125lbs is just a weight where I don't think I give a crap who can beat the other up. Still I'm sure there'll be some crazy stuff to change my mind, but on a base level I care a lot less.

I think that's odd. The best organization in terms of fight quality these last five years has undoubtedly been the WEC, and there wasn't a single guy above 155 pounds there. The little guys with their incredible speed and seemingly unlimited cardio almost always deliver. The more little guys the UFC has the better. Especially considering that since there's not many sports for smaller guys to compete in professionally, that means the UFC can really get top-tier athletes, and not simply the guys who weren't good enough to play football.

I think that's odd. The best organization in terms of fight quality these last five years has undoubtedly been the WEC, and there wasn't a single guy above 155 pounds there. The little guys with their incredible speed and seemingly unlimited cardio almost always deliver. The more little guys the UFC has the better. Especially considering that since there's not many sports for smaller guys to compete in professionally, that means the UFC can really get top-tier athletes, and not simply the guys who weren't good enough to play football.

hockey. midget wrestling. can be used as the ball. :p

Great UFC card overall with some intense endings. You had the (tied) fastest KO in UFC history, Tito losing via "broken" ribs, Mir beating Nog via broken arm, and Jones putting Machida to sleep and dropping his ass. Very intense and good night overall.

REALLY looking forward to Rashad/Jones as I just don't see how in the heck Davis would beat Jones.

Also, I don't give a crap about 125, sorry. Big MMA fan and watch Bellator, DREAM, XFC, whatever's on HDNET but I just dont care about a big enough difference from 125-145. I cant take you seriously as a "worlds top fighter" when there are 7 other divisions who would beat you clearly on size alone (hence the major reason HW's draw so well and Cruz is always go main event). Also I would like to see them build some more 135 and 145 depth first as those divisions don't have many top contenders right now. Also while people make the midget jokes this will get dangerously close to reality. A midget is 4'10 or under, and youre going to have 5'0 guys fighting which is very close to literal midget fighting.

Also, I don't give a crap about 125, sorry. Big MMA fan and watch Bellator, DREAM, XFC, whatever's on HDNET but I just dont care about a big enough difference from 125-145. I cant take you seriously as a "worlds top fighter" when there are 7 other divisions who would beat you clearly on size alone (hence the major reason HW's draw so well and Cruz is always go main event). Also I would like to see them build some more 135 and 145 depth first as those divisions don't have many top contenders right now. Also while people make the midget jokes this will get dangerously close to reality. A midget is 4'10 or under, and youre going to have 5'0 guys fighting which is very close to literal midget fighting.

Exactly. Don't care how talented they are, at some point it begins to feel like a freak show. I remember watching Antonio Banuelos and feeling genuinely uncomfortable.

Exactly. Don't care how talented they are, at some point it begins to feel like a freak show. I remember watching Antonio Banuelos and feeling genuinely uncomfortable.

Here's the issue, though. We have tons of talented athletes that can't get into football, baseball, soccer, or basketball because they are too small. Why not put them into good use?

By the way, I don't care how much they weigh, as long as they have good fights. At the end of the day, that's what matters. Not their weight, but if they can fight. And if they can, who cares how weigh? A fight is a fight is a fight. They punch people, choke people out, and take people down. Doesn't really matter if they weight 125 or 265 as long as they can fight.