Total Championship Wrestling: Tuesday Night Wars

There is one WAY to adjust Rick Law, actually. I'm not sure you want to do it, though. As is stand, Rick Law's style should be "Entertainer", which fits him well, but doesn't fit TCW. My guess, is that if he was "Brawler" or "Regular Wrestler", he can work within the style better.

The thing with Rick Law is, you CAN make him work with the current product. You can't say the same thing for Rocky Golden, at least in the short and mid-term.

The thing is, Rick Law is young, AND a lot more skilled. I would put the belt on him instead. Better babyface, better entertainment skills, better... well, almost everything EXCEPT Star Quality, which isn't that low anyway.

However, if you are telling you can't make it with Rick Law, you aren't the Bigpapa42 we have come to know and love. ;)

I haven't recalculated the new values for the new product, but I can say that Rocky Golden's Brawling stat is not exactly shining, and has very weak Technical skills. That hurts him, but more than that, his Perfomance skills hurt him more. Seriously, that B- against Dread could have been a C+.

Two, Bigpapa42, if it were me, I'll take this opportunity to make at least ONE adjustment... just one if it I'm permitted only one. Lower Realism from "Medium" to "Low".

Tradition, Mainstream, Modern... what more do you need? It's old yet new, methodical yet crisp, cutting edge yet old school, familiar yet different. That's how I see it. :)

I never thought that Law's type might have an affect... Hmm...

I'm still wavering on the idea of adjusting the product. Its like editing workers - just something I try to avoid. But it might make sense here. Its not so much that I am concerned over the match grades - a few could have been better, obviously, but its not killing the diary or anything - but rather I just don't know that I incorporate it properly into how I envision TCW. I'm pretty sure Realisim was lower on 2008, and I build most of my plans and ideas for TCW around that product. A fairly realistic, performance over popularity product isn't really what I build my ideas on.

Firstly - ampulator - lighten up man - this is a diary - it's all about entertaining the readers, not about whether BP tries to get the grades that YOU think he should. Constantly harping on about Rocky is getting seriously boring.

I have to admit that I enjoy it. I tend to enjoy almost any off-topic discussion, so long as it pertains at least a little to the diary itself. I particularly like the conerns that amp has regarding Rocky Golden because its a feeling I think a segment of TCW fans would have. Its like going from having Ric Flair in his prime as your permanent champion to a guy who is a mix between Hogan and Cena, with matches that might be technically fairly decent (dependent on the opponent) but tend to follow a fairly standard formula. I actually have a Total Mark segment planned fairly much on that topic (minus the real world references, of course).

Pfft... as If I cared that I bored you. :p *joke* Seriously, I LOVE Bigpapa42's work. It's not him that I'm frustrated with. It's TCW's new product. I hated to say this, but it quite frankly doesn't make a lot of sense.

And it's not so much what grades I think he should be getting as much as the game not bieng cooperative with Bigpapa42. Seriously, a Dread vs. Rocky Golden match CAN WORK to higher grade... just not with TCW's current product.

If it was in USPW or even the SWF, a Dread vs. Rocky Golden match has the potential to a be massive fued.

I've had the "if only this wasn't TCW..." thought a few times with a few match results. Such as the last PPV, where Law main evented against Golden. I didn't feel the B was terrible, but knowing that match could have gotten an easy B+ in the SWF with their overness and momemtum... When I had Golden in Supreme in 2008, he regularly pulled some fairly strong grades just because his overness was always high. He had actually developed less in that game, a full year in, than he has in this game after just 5 months. Golden pulled an A* match against Faith with no chemistry, and Cornell is a better work.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the product setting, Realism, was also set to Medium in 2008. The difference is in TEW2010, TCW also has Modern set at Medium. Hence, the performance-based product.

However, I have an odd suspicion that will work better with "Modern" than "Realism", though this maybe unfounded.

I have to admit that I enjoy it. I tend to enjoy almost any off-topic discussion, so long as it pertains at least a little to the diary itself. I particularly like the conerns that amp has regarding Rocky Golden because its a feeling I think a segment of TCW fans would have. Its like going from having Ric Flair in his prime as your permanent champion to a guy who is a mix between Hogan and Cena, with matches that might be technically fairly decent (dependent on the opponent) but tend to follow a fairly standard formula. I actually have a Total Mark segment planned fairly much on that topic (minus the real world references, of course).

And I think this pretty much sums up WHY Lex Lugar never went over Ric Flair, despite the 1000 or more title shots he had. ;)

Actually, the product setting, Realism, was also set to Medium in 2008. The difference is in TEW2010, TCW also has Modern set at Medium. Hence, the performance-based product.

However, I have an odd suspicion that will work better with "Modern" than "Realism", though this maybe unfounded.

So it was. When I was started to plan this about a year ago, I was trying to take the TCW product into consideration as a key point of basis. Guess I just overlooked the Realism being set at Medium....

And I think this pretty much sums up WHY Lex Lugar never went over Ric Flair, despite the 1000 or more title shots he had. ;)

True. And great point of comparison, since Luger is part of what Golden is based on.

But it also creates a catch-22. Part of the reason Luger was unlikely to be successful (and wasn't) as WCW world champion was because he never did go over Flair. He lacked that legitimacy. The booking - the heel turn when he won it - didn't help much either. That legitimacy could have helped more fans accept the lesser wrestler (Luger) as a legitimate world champion. It was actually with that thought that I had the Golden-Cornell match at the second PPV and had Golden win clean. To try to give Golden that legitimacy for the readers.

Well, they wanted Ric Flair to rub off on Lex Luger, like what Ric Flair did with Ricky Steamboat and Sting.

Problem was, Ricky Steamboat and Sting were both athletic, charismatic, and better workers. Lex Luger was bigger, a bit dull, and less athletic. They wanted him to be WCW's version of Hogan/Warrior/Cena, but he just didn't have the charisma or even the look. I mean, his body looked fine... it was his face. I'm not saying he's ugly, but he didn't look much like a babyface.

And never really improved in the ring. In fact, he got WORSE. By the end of the WCW, he was a shadow of himself, and he wasn't even that impressive in the first place.

Actually, I find Sting's career had been in the shadow of Ric Flair's until he became "Crow" Sting. He was pretty hot, but he never reached "it", until he became the "Crow" Sting.

As for Cena, now that you mention it, he feels like the Lex Luger, especially the "All-American" one during his time in WWF, which was a Wrestlecrap induction.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Logos/TV%20Logos/TCWTotalWrestling.jpg

TCW Presents Total Wrestling

Tuesday, Week 3, May 2010

Utah Park Reservation (South West)

<object height="25" width="27"><embed src="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="25" width="27"></object>

Chapter Eleven

Revelations

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Staff/Alt%20Small/JasonAzaria_alt1Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Staff/Alt%20Small/KyleRhodes_alt1Small.jpg

Jason Azaria & Kyle Rhodes

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Logos/Promotion%20Logos/TCWBanner.jpg

The TCW logo fades into a shot of the crowd as the Total Wrestling theme song plays. Some of TCW's biggest and best moments are highlighted as part of the shows opening video montage. Notably, few of the highlights are of the HGC days of the promotion. It highlights the current crop of TCW talent.

Jason Azaria: Bringing you the very best in professional wrestling, this is... Total Championship Wrestling! I am Jason Azaria, and with me is my broadcast partner, Kyle Rhodes.

Kyle Rhodes: Good evening to one and all. Tonight, we start with Tommy Cornell...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small%20Alt/TommyCornell_alt5Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small%20Alt/WolfHawkins_alt3Small.jpg

Tommy Cornell & Wolf Hawkins

In-Ring Promo

The fans don't hide their feelings when it comes to Cornell and Hawkins – they boo heartily as soon as the music hits. Cornell emerges, followed closely by Hawkins. Despite their issues last week, the pair seem to be together again. They take their time moving down to the ring, with both sneering and glaring at the fans as they move down the ramp. When the finally climb into the ring, “Rough Justice” calls for the microphone.

Tommy Cornell: I'm gonna tell you lot a little story. A true story. So listen up, right....

He pauses, leering into the camera with intensity.

Tommy Cornell: Ten years ago, a young man walked into this promotion. Had big talent and big dreams, but knew naught a soul. Had a bit of a reputation as a trouble-maker, he did. This young man didn't find things too friendly backstage. Not so easy when you don't have no friends, right. But he found a friend. Or more accurately, a friend found him. A legend by the name of Dread took this young man under his huge wing and taught him a thing or not. Not just about being a wrestler but about this business.

Cornell pauses, sneering at the fans.

Tommy Cornell: Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Dread phones the men in charge of TCW, the Home Office, and says "I'm done in Japan, and I'd like to come back for one more run". They said sure. Dread asked for two things... to be paid decently and a world title shot. "The title shot we can do", he was told... but the pay...not so much... They offer this former world champion, this legend an amount similar to what they pay some replaceable curtain-jerker. Right then. Nice job, Home Office.

"Rough Justice" allows the biting criticism of the Home Office sink in for a moment. Behind him, Hawkins isn't looking too happy either.

Tommy Cornell: So Dread called up that young man and asked for some help. Asked him if it was worth taking this deal, accepting far less money than he was worth. The advice that was given was simple... Take the deal and you'll be taken care of. See, that young man was no young man anymore, then. He had become a legend himself. A five-time world champion. Successful, respected... and wealthy... So Dread was told he would be taken care of... and he will be...

With a smirk, Cornell turns...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Hired%20Alt%20Small/Dread_alt8Small.jpg

Dread

With that, the massive Dread strides out onto the stage. He stands beside Wolf Hawkins, behind Tommy Cornell. The hierarchy, with Cornell in front by himself, is clear. In a fine-tailored suit, Dread towers over the other two men... He even dwarfs Cornell, who is not small by any measure.

Tommy Cornell: See, I'm going to make sure that Dread is taken care of properly. Its called loyalty, right. Its about respect and paying someone back.

The fans, realizing that Cornell is basically saying that he pays Dread and the big man works for him, boo. "Mr. TCW" stops for a moment and grins at them.

Tommy Cornell: This was perfectly timed, then. Last month, when I got tossed out of the building, I got reminded why a bit of backup never hurts. I try to count on Hawkins here, but he apparently has his minds on other things...

Hawkins doesn't react to the verbal jab. He maintains his stoic sneer. Cornell then turns to his apprentice, pointing at Hawkins. The fans collectively hold their breath, wondering what is about to happen.

Tommy Cornell: I learned my lessons last week about letting you talk, Wolf. On the weekend, the Home Office offered my young friend here a match against Koshiro Ino at Total Mayhem. A match against anyone on the biggest stage TCW has is something you don't turn down, then. He accepts.

Hawkins looks taken aback for a moment, then nods his agreement. Cornell doesn't seem to care. He walks off the stage, and his two followers – the rising young star and the legendary bodyguard – turn to follow.

Grade: A*

Jason Azaria: So... Dread is working for Cornell?

Kyle Rhodes: It would seem that way. Are we seeing a new start to The Syndicate?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small%20Alt/ClarkAlexander_alt2Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/VS/VS1Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/TroyTornadoSmall.jpg

Clark Alexander vs Troy Tornado

6'3” + 275 lbs vs 6'2” + 237 pounds

The opening match is entertaining but only semi-competitive. Alexander gets in enough offense to ensure the match doesn't seem like a squash. But despite having forty pounds on his opponent, “Hawaiian Thunder” is unable to really make it count in his favor. Tornado spends some time posing and strutting, enraging both the fans and his opponent. Even referee Sam Sparrow seems to get annoyed after a bit. At the eight minute mark, Tornado begins to take things seriously and looks to be heading toward a victory, when a roar goes up from the fans. The match stops as Joey Minnesota emerges through the entryway. He stands on the stage, making no move toward the ring. Tornado's eyes never leave “The Philly Phenom”... which is an obvious mistake. Alexander tries to take advantage, hitting some quick offense before going for his Ice Breaker DDT, but Tornado counters it into a backdrop, then nails the bigger man with his Star Maker. It puts “Thunder” down for the three.

Troy Tornado Wins at 9:52 via Pinfall

Grade: B

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/TroyTornadoSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/JoeyMinnesotaSmall.jpg

Troy Tornado & Joey Minnesota

Post-Match Challenge

Tornado does no celebrating after referee Sparrow counts out the three. He turns and stares at Minnesota, glaring with both distrust at fear – angry at Minnesota making an unwelcome appearance but concerned that the situation might escalate.

Having stood nearly motionless since he stepped out onto the stage, Minnesota motions for a microphone. He is tossed one by a staffer. But he doesn't speak immediately. He paces back and forth across the stage for a moment, as if looking for the right words. A tittering cheer moves through the crowd, urging him on.

Joey Minnesota: Hollywood... you are... a... COWARD!

He shouts the final word emphatically, and the crowd roars their approval.

Joey Minnesota: Oh, you talk big. You're a tough guy when the cameras are rolling. But you can't hide what you are. See, this week I asked the Home Office for a match against you at Total Mayhem. They thought it was a fine idea. More than fine. But you... turned it down...

The fans boo. Minnesota nods. In the ring, Tornado is seething and slowly turning red.

Joey Minnesota: Turned it down... Did you have something better to do that night, Hollywood? A prior engagement? No need to answer, Troy. Its pretty obvious, Troy. You are a coward.

Enraged, Tornado calls for a microphone. He is handed one by the referee, and he swipes it out of Sparrow's hand. There is venom in Tornado's voice.

Troy Tornado: Hollywood is not a coward.

Joey Minnesota: Then accept the match.

Troy Tornado: I...

Joey Minnesota: …am a coward. You want to prove otherwise, accept the match. Its that simple.

Troy Tornado: I accept.

The crowd roars. But “Hollywood” isn't done.

Troy Tornado: You just made a big mistake, Minnesota. You think you can stand up to Hollywood? You think you are something important? Something special? You are nothing, Minnesota. Hollywood is completely capable of destroying anyone. But I am going to take special pleasure in ruining your hopes and dreams. The shining beacon of awesome that is Hollywood will always be here to remind you of your stupidity on this day, Minnesota.

Joey Minnesota stands on the stage, looking rather bored.

Joey Minnesota: Oh, are you finished now? Good.

With that, Minnesota drops the microphone and walks off the stage. Down in the ring, Tornado seethes.

Grade: A

Kyle Rhodes: At least Tornado didn't call himself “The Absolute Epicenter of Cool” this time....

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/KoshiroInoSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/VS/VS1Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/JoelBryantSmall.jpg

Koshiro Ino vs Joel Bryant

6'2” + 295 lbs vs 6'2” + 239 lbs

This one goes back and forth a bit. Ino is overpowering as he manages to put his size to work in ways that Clark Alexander could not in the previous match. Bryant resorts to the use of cheap tactics to stay competitive, but it seems to only be delaying the inevitable. Ino blocks an attempted low blow, and counters with a series of big elbow shots. It puts Bryant on his behind, and Ino drills him with several kicks. The fans sound their approval. An Ino Plex is followed by a Burning Hammer, which puts Bryant down for the three count.

Koshiro Ino Wins at 11:12 via Pinfall

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/GhenghisRahnSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/VS/VS1Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/ElmoBenson_alt1Small.jpg

Genghis Rahn vs Benny Benson

6'2” + 275 lbs vs 5'10” + 215 lbs

Another battle of big versus small, but small seems to hold the advantage here. Benson doesn't attack Rahn head-on, but uses his speed to launch quick offense at the veteran brawler, who grows enraged that he cannot get his hands on “Captain Excitement”. There is an overriding sense of anticipating on the match, due to Rahn's partner Eddie Peak being at ringside, glaring at Benson with cold and piercing eyes. Everyone is waiting for the moment that Peak decides to interfere. It never happens. Instead, Benson manages to work over “The Arizona Assassin” quite effectively, avoiding most of the counter-offense from the bigger man. Benson shows off his athleticism with some leap frogs and a springboard drop kick, finally hitting the Shockwave from Next Year running Enzuigiri kick. There is a bit of a pop from the crowd as Benson pins Rahn and gets the three.

Benny Benson Wins at 8:59 via Pinfall

Grade: C-

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/ElmoBenson_alt1Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/EddiePeakSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/GhenghisRahnSmall.jpg

Benny Benson, Eddie Peak & Genghis Rahn

Post-Match

After the win, Benson calls for a microphone. Looking rather unhappy, Rahn slides out of the ring and stands beside his tag team partner. Peak glares up at Benson with burning intensity in his eyes.

Benny Benson: Pain and agony and joy and mayhem... Am I afraid of you, Peak? No, I'm not. You don't scare me at all. I don't believe in scary monsters in the closet anymore... I know you're just a big bully and I know you'll never break me.

Benson stares right down at Peak, eye to eye and showing that he's not intimidated at all.

Benny Benson: You wanna face me again? I'll step in this ring with you anytime. So yeah, I'll fight you at Total Mayhem. And this time... I'll beat you....

Benson drops the microphone, staring hard at Peak. The monster grins and starts to go after the lightweight, but Genghis Rahn holds him back.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small%20Alt/RickLaw_alt24Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Staff/Staff%20Small/JasmineSaundersSmall.jpg

Rick Law & Jasmine Saunders

Sit-Down Interview Video

A video is shown – a sit-down interview between Jasmine Saunders and Rick Law. The pair are on a standard television interview set, with both seated in low back chairs that are angled but face toward the camera. Law scows and does not look happy at all.

Jasmine Saunders: Thanks for sitting down with me for some questions, Rick.

Rick Law: I don't wanna be here. I don't wanna answer your stupid question. Home Office says I have to. That's the only reason I'm here.

Jasmine Saunders: Oh... well, aright. Thanks for cooperating regardless.

Law says nothing, glaring rather hatefully at TCW's resident interviewer.

Jasmine Saunders: You stated that your feud with Rocky Golden is “personal”. But you two came into Total Championship Wrestling at roughly the same time, and you used to be friends...

Rick Law: Rock was never really my friend. Not really. He's no one's friend. What people don't understand about their beloved champion is that he's a liar and a user. He will does do what is in his own best interest. The stupid fans hate me and Cornell for doing that, yet they love Rock for it.

Jasmine Saunders: So you don't feel you're treated fairly by the fans?

Rick Law: I don't care about the fans anymore. Used to. Then I realized how easily manipulated they are. Idiots. I make a decision to further my career by joining The Syndicate and they hate me for it. Rock got here ought-six and spent how long lying and cheating and doing whatever it took to win a match... then he says “Oh, I've changed” and the fans just love him. All idiots. The Home Office is no better. See, I get that Rock has a million dollar look. He looks like he belongs on the cover of a fitness magazine. But he's champion because of the chances he was given. I had to fight and claw my way up the card, where he kept being given these chances.

Jasmine Saunders: You don't feel Rocky Golden is a deserving champion?

Rick Law: He beat Cornell alright. Twice. Can't say undeserving. Just not a very good one. He's not skilled. He's not scientific. He's just heart and charisma. But I'm going to take that heart away from him. I am going to make him quit at Total Mayhem.

Jasmine Saunders: If he accepts the stipulation.

Rick Law: If he's a man, he'll accept. If he's a damned coward, he'll say no.

Jasmine Saunders: There has been some debate as to what match should be the main event of Total Mayhem 15... your world title match with Rocky Golden or the Final Reckoning match between Tommy Cornell and Ricky Dale Johnson. Do you...

Rick Law: I don't give a damn. I'll take Rock's belt whether we open the show or close it.

Jasmine Saunders: Alright, Rick. Just one more question...

Rick Law: No, we are done. I've had enough.

Law stands up, ripping the microphone pinned to his shirt off and stomping off the set.

Jasmine Saunders: Harsh words from a harsh man....

The segment ends...

Jason Azaria: Sit-down interviews are not something we often see here in TCW.

Kyle Rhodes: Something tells me that we won't see another one with Rick Law anytime soon.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small%20Alt/AaronAndrews_alt3Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small%20Alt/ChanceFortune_alt3Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Hired%20Small/JamesPrudenceSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/VS/VS1Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small%20Alt/SammyBach_alt13Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Hired%20Alt%20Small/Acid_alt9Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Hired%20Alt%20Small/HellMonkey_alt3Small.jpg

The L.A. Connection & James Prudence vs Sammy Bach, Acid & ???

705 lbs total combined weight vs 675 lbs total combined weight

The L.A. Connection and James Prudence emerge first. Then the un-stable duo of Sammy Bach and Acid, lead by Karen Killer, emerge and make their way down to the ring. The unknown third member of the heel team gets a grand entrance, as the lights drop and “Down with the Sickness” by Distrubed plays. The worker who emerges is introduced as Death Monkey, which at least partially explains why he wears a black monkey mask. A stocky lightweight with a build somewhat similar to that of Acid, he makes his way down to the ring in a hurry, diving between the top two ropes in an entrance similar to that of Acid, and rolling to his feet. He gets a decent pop from the segments of knowledgeable TCW fans who recognize him for his work in Japan.

The match gets underway and its mostly about the heels. The Connection duo manage to get in some offense, but its moreso Acid and Death Monkey getting in plenty. Bach plays it cool, tagging into the match for short bursts and seemingly content to allow his "children" to do most of the work. Chance Fortune manages to get himself isolated by the heels for a time, and he does a decent job as the babyface in peril, eventually managing to tag in his partner Andrews. But "Ace" is laid out shortly after by a superkick from Bach, who calmly returns to the apron as he is admonished by the referee. A short time later, Acid locks Prudence into the Acidity Test Death Lock STF hold and the blond middleweight has to tap out.

Bach, Acid & Monkey Win at 9:19 via Pinfall

Grade: B-

Kyle Rhodes: Did that guy just wrestle the match in a monkey mask?

Jason Azaria: I believe he did, Kyle.

Kyle Rhodes: “Death Monkey”... Bach and his friends.... every week... just weirder...

Jason Azaria: Indeed.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/RockyGoldenSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Staff/Hired%20Managers%20Small/SaraMarieYork_alt3Small.jpg

Rocky Golden & Miss Sara

In-Ring Promo

The TCW World Heavyweight champion Rocky Golden and his lovely girlfriend, Miss Sara, make their way down to the ring. They take their time as they interact with the fans on the way down the ramp. They finally climb into the ring, with the champion holding open the ropes for his beloved. They play to the crowd a bit more before Rocky takes a microphone.

Rocky Golden: It was in August last year that I won this title from Tommy Cornell. I won it by pinning him clean. For eight months now, I've faced everyone. Tommy Cornell. Sam Keith. Eddie Peak. Rick Law. Last month, I beat you clean, Law. Now you want me to agree to an “I Quit” match. Well, I'll you something, Law... I've never quit. Not once. Not ever. You are not going to be the man to make me say those words. Nothing you can do to me will make quit. Nothing.

The fans roar their approval.

Rocky Golden: So yes, I absolutely agree to your match stipulation.

They roar even louder.

Miss Sara suddenly snatches the microphone out of the hand of the champion. He looks surprised, then accepting.

Miss Sara: You wanna know if Rocky is a man, Rick Law? Rocky is more man than you will ever be!

The fans roar their approval for this as well.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Hired%20Small/GregKeithSmall-1.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Hired%20Small/MatthewKeithSmall-1.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/VS/VS1Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/GuideSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/ScoutSmall.jpg

The Keith Boys vs The New Wave

470 lbs total combined weight vs 470 lbs total combined weight

The Key Boys get a pretty negative reception, but that's partly due to the presence of their much-hated father Sam Keith. The long-reigning TCW World tag team champions get a big reception. The match itself is good old fashioned tag action. It starts off a bit slowly, as Guide has a bit of fun as he teases locking up, then backs away from Greg Keith. They go to lock up again, and he spins around the youngster to a waste lock and delivers a quick suplex. Matthew tags in and he gets much the same treatment from the veteran tag star. Sam Keith is furious, yelling from the floor. The first half of the match is mostly The New Wave as they show off their perfect teamwork. Their timing is simply impeccable and they put together tandem moves that virtually no other team in the world can pull off. The Keith twins try some teamwork, but they simply do not have anywhere near the timing or experience together. It takes a moment from “The Living Legend” Sam as he climbs onto the ring apron to yell at Scout, which provides enough of a distraction for Matthew to hit a sudden running neck snap. The twins them manage to isolate Scout and they work him over, batting the champion. The pull of a nice tandem sequence when they work together to emulate their father's trademark corner chop sequence. They try to pin Scout several times, but Guide is there to make the save before being shoved back to his corner. He shouts encouragement at his partner, with the fans clearly behind the champions. They tease the hot tag several times before Guide finally makes it into the match. He unleashes on the two youngsters, then stops to stare at Sam Keith disdainfully which earns a pop from the crowd. The champions put together a string of offense that culminates in their Wave of Mutilation tandem tower legdrop and then Guide pins Matthew Keith for the win.

The New Wave Win at 13:54 via Pinfall

Kyle Rhodes: The Keith twins might have endless promise, but The New Wave just taught them a bit of a lesson, I think.

Jason Azaria: Very much so.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/EddiePeakSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/VS/VS1Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small%20Alt/RickyDaleJohnson_alt12Small.jpg

Eddie Peak vs Ricky Dale Johnson

6'5” + 325 lbs vs 6'4” + 295 lbs

With full pre-match entrances and Shawn Doakes doing the wrestler introductions, this one has the feel of a big match. Eddie Peak comes out first, and the crowd boo him heartily. "The Predator' Ignores it - he's focused on the task ahead of him. Ricky Dale Johnson gets a big pop from the fans. Once both men are in the ring and introductions are underway, there is an intense staredown and referee Eugene Williams has to keep the two men from starting things early. The two veterans have faced each other a number of times, and the results are always entertaining.

As soon as the bell rings, it's a war. The two big men go after each other and throw bombs. For the opening five minutes, it's a sprint. They go for big moves and hit them. RDJ hits a short-arm lariat with fury, but misses the follow up big boot. Peak counters with a series of forearm shots then finals himself laid out by the big boot that “The Lone Star Hero” had previously tried for. It appears that the popular cowboy will take control... but he gets hit by a huge spinebuster and Peak takes over. From around the six minute mark, he begins to work over his opponent. There is a precise methodology beneath the wild brawling of Peak, as he batters away at RDJ. After a dozen minutes, the multi-time TCW world champion begins his comeback, with vocal support from the fans. The actions slows a bit as the damage they have inflicted upon each other shows through. They trade pinfall attempts. Then, at just past the quarter hour mark, the match is interrupted by Tommy Cornell wandering down the ramp to ringside. The fans escort him with boos. He stands at ringside and watches as the match continues. There are several more near finishes. The Cornell makes his presence felt, reaching up and pulling down the middle rope, so that when RDJ whips Peak into the ropes looking for a lariat, the big man goes flying through the ropes to the floor. The referee misses it, but RDJ doesn't. He begins to shout at his long-time nemesis, with Cornell putting on his most innocent face. When referee Eugene Williams admonishes RDJ and isn't looking, Cornell stomps on the still-down Peak. This enrages Johnson more, with the ref chastising him more. “Rough Justice” finally takes the chair from beneath one of the timekeepers, smashing Peak in the head with it. He then wanders to the opposite side of the ring. Finally paying attention, the ref begins to count Peak out. RDJ waits, then leaps to the floor to roll Peak back into the ring. Knowing what his eternal rival has done to his opponent, RDJ is quite obviously hesitant to take advantage. He is left with little choice, as he goes for the pinfall and the ref is inches from the three when Peak kicks out. After receiving a Southern Justice Nadowa choke slam, Peak is unable to kick out.

Ricky Dale Johnson Wins at 21:21 via Pinfall

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small%20Alt/TommyCornell_alt5Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small%20Alt/RickyDaleJohnson_alt12Small.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/BlankPartSmall.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Small/EddiePeakSmall.jpg

Tommy Cornell, Ricky Dale Johnson & Eddie Peak

Post-Match

The post-match is chaos. Ricky Dale Johnson does not celebrate at all, clearly taking no joy in a victory. Cornell somehow seems to take exception to this, climbing onto the ring apron to yell at his rival. Referee Williams looked frightened as he attempts to stop Cornell from climbing into the ring, desperately gesturing for outside help. While this is going on, Peak rumbles to his feet and tries to shake out the cobwebs. Its unclear if he understands what happens, but its clear he blames as he hits the big veteran with another huge spinebuster. Before he can do any more damage, TCW officials swarm the ring and try to keep the three men apart.

Kyle Rhodes: I have the feeling we may see a rematch between Eddie Peak and Ricky Dale Johnson at some point in the future.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/Main/Grade/grade_a.jpg

Love the addition of Death Monkey and the twist in the Peak-RDJ match. I knew RDJ would win, but never expected Cornell to make the assist. Can't wait to see (or read) Peak's reaction when he realizes what happened. It appears to me Peak is being elevated to main event as evidenced by the big match intros and interaction with RDJ-Cornell...although he is still facing Benny Benson at TM...is he being elevated?

Love the addition of Death Monkey and the twist in the Peak-RDJ match. I knew RDJ would win, but never expected Cornell to make the assist. Can't wait to see (or read) Peak's reaction when he realizes what happened. It appears to me Peak is being elevated to main event as evidenced by the big match intros and interaction with RDJ-Cornell...although he is still facing Benny Benson at TM...is he being elevated?

I wanted to use the match for stoyline purposes, but a straight-up disqualification seemed... too easy. Too predictable. This kept Peak looking strong, didn't make RDJ seem heelish, and I think its easy enough for Cornell to have reasons to do what he did.

Yes, Peak is being elevated. But I am doing so gradually. I did consider dumping the storyline with Benson with some quick wrap-up rather than the Total Mayhem match I had been planning... but I figured I would play it out as I had planned things initially.

An A match between RDJ and Eddie Peak... in a performanced-based promotion. This shocks me. They are good, but their in-ring skills doesn't even suggest such a match.

Really? Good chemistry helped. But even without that chemistry, I wouldn't have expected less than a B. RDJ had an average of B for Performance skills and Peak is B+. Add in good overness and momentum for both, plus a storyline bonus for Cornell's appearance, and you get that.

Glad to see Death Monkey in the promotion gives me another reason to read this as he is one of my favoriote guys in the c-verse.

Early plans for this project had the idea of "avoid the workers used very commonly in diaries"... and I clearly gave up on that, for the most part. Hell Monkey is so damned talented and the freaky idea of a dude wrestling in a monkey mask (I know he's supposed to take it off for the actual match) fits in so well with how I conceive of Bach's stable...

Really? Good chemistry helped. But even without that chemistry, I wouldn't have expected less than a B. RDJ had an average of B for Performance skills and Peak is B+. Add in good overness and momentum for both, plus a storyline bonus for Cornell's appearance, and you get that.

Oh, I expected a B. Just not an.... A. In any case, Eddie Peak is B+ in your game? That's good to know. He's one for the future, me thinks.

As for Pathlow, he's great, but unfortunately, I have nothing for him creatively. It's kind of odd that Sammy Bach's stable has all lightweights that's close to pushing to middleweights. :p

Glad to see Death Monkey in your TCW. One of my favorite c-verse guys along with Bach and Acid. One thing I notice is that all of Bach's members expect Bach himself have mask. I wonder if you're going to create one of those weird joker like mask for Bach because if you did I would mark so much!

All joking aside, another good show and you actually got your first A show so congrats. Keep the good work man!

Oh, I expected a B. Just not an.... A. In any case, Eddie Peak is B+ in your game? That's good to know. He's one for the future, me thinks.

As for Pathlow, he's great, but unfortunately, I have nothing for him creatively. It's kind of odd that Sammy Bach's stable has all lightweights that's close to pushing to middleweights. :p

Pretty sure the match has given me around a B before with their starting-level overness and no chemistry.

Pea has improved. About 2-4 points in each Performance category. That's about half as much as Golden has improved, but obviously Peak is much better to start with. I didn't expect that much improvement out of Peak due to his age, but I'm thinking the A Star Quality certainly helps.

The sizes I use are typically taken from the CV wiki if they are on there. All three were taken from there, except I bulked up Bach a bit (which was mentioned in kayfabe).

Glad to see Death Monkey in your TCW. One of my favorite c-verse guys along with Bach and Acid. One thing I notice is that all of Bach's members expect Bach himself have mask. I wonder if you're going to create one of those weird joker like mask for Bach because if you did I would mark so much!

All joking aside, another good show and you actually got your first A show so congrats. Keep the good work man!

The joker look for Bach would be cool, I have admit. If he requires evolution, that might be it. For the moment, I like that he is the "least weird" of his little posse.

And thanks for the congrats. I actually had a couple of A shows in the two month period before I started the diary but its nice to be seeing them again.

You're welcome for your A :p

Thanks!

I was actually going to mention that the Peak-RDJ was a "special request" in my Post-Show thoughts... but I didn't add any this time. I was thinking of a future feud between them before I found the chemistry and saw that match grade...

I just discovered that this was not actually the first A show of the diary. I was looking for the Rick Law alt you posted a while back and discovered that your March Week 4 show on page 21 was rated an A...it had the four way number one contender match that Cornell stole by coming in late.

Of course in my opinion every show is an A. (Ha, read that and try not to vomit in your mouth a little.)

I just discovered that this was not actually the first A show of the diary. I was looking for the Rick Law alt you posted a while back and discovered that your March Week 4 show on page 21 was rated an A...it had the four way number one contender match that Cornell stole by coming in late.

Of course in my opinion every show is an A. (Ha, read that and try not to vomit in your mouth a little.)

Good catch. I knew I had some in the earliest going, but thought my string of B+ went back to the start of the diary. Thanks.

The last comment didn't make me vomit... just made me think you are going to butter me up for awhile, then ask me to bring back American Buffalo... I'm on to you Buffalo Humps...

The way that Rocky Golden's not quite working out in-ring-wise, wants me to choke out the person (kayfabe) in the C-verse that thought it was a good idea to recommend Tommy Cornell to make the promotion a performance-based promotion... and choke out the other person in the C-verse who thought it was good idea it was good idea to put the title on Rocky Golden.

Here's the thing, though. Did TCW become a Performanced-based promotion first, or did the put the title on Rocky Golden first? If it's the first, then they it was a REALLY stupid idea to put the title on Rocky Golden.

If it was the second, it's looks less stupid, but it makes me wonder if someone idd catch the fact that Rocky Golden's not going to be able to work a performanced-based promotion.

The way that Rocky Golden's not quite working out in-ring-wise, wants me to choke out the person (kayfabe) in the C-verse that thought it was a good idea to recommend Tommy Cornell to make the promotion a performance-based promotion... and choke out the other person in the C-verse who thought it was good idea it was good idea to put the title on Rocky Golden.

Uh... it's a fake database for a text-based wrestling game. Rocky Golden as champion is designed to be a challenge for the player. And it's not like average wrestlers have never been champions in promotions you'd consider performance based.

Here's the thing, though. Did TCW become a Performanced-based promotion first, or did the put the title on Rocky Golden first? If it's the first, then they it was a REALLY stupid idea to put the title on Rocky Golden.

If it was the second, it's looks less stupid, but it makes me wonder if someone idd catch the fact that Rocky Golden's not going to be able to work a performanced-based promotion.

I've always looked at the switch to more performance-based as the evolution of TCW to fit Cornell's vision... whereas the choice of champion is like a challenge added to the promotion. To offset having Bryan Vessey added and such. In that sense, SWF has a world champion that needs a degree of protecting as well. Easier to do in their product, but I think you still need to be careful with him.

Uh... it's a fake database for a text-based wrestling game. Rocky Golden as champion is designed to be a challenge for the player. And it's not like average wrestlers have never been champions in promotions you'd consider performance based.

Yeah, I just think Golden is an added challenge.

Honestly, I kinda assume most people who run TCW get the belt off of him within the first 2-3 months. I would have had this not been a diary game. He's held it since August, so its not like it would make for an abnormally short title reign for TCW, either.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Logos/TotalMark.jpg

Mark 15.0

Selling Out?

Richard Eisen is a sellout.

Tommy Cornell is a sellout.

Eric Eisen is a sellout.

_____ (Inset Name Here) is a sellout.

Some of my favorite wrestling forums have developed a rather maddening trend, which is posters labeling everyone and everything to be “sellouts”. It probably would not bother me so much if it was just one or two posters on those forums, but it seems fairly widespread. I cannot blame someone for being opinionated when it comes to profession wrestling, and for wanting to share those opinions. I have done that plenty. I just hate when those opinions are based on a rather illogical and stupid basis.

The idea of “selling out” is most common when it comes to music. And its usually nonsense there, too. There are two simple “facts” that usually make it nonsense. First, almost every band and artist make music to be heard. Second, most also evolve over time. So when a band evolves themselves toward something that is more mainstream acceptable, is that really such a terrible or unnatural thing? Short of a massive makeover to a completely different act, most bands “selling out” is rather understandable. Its not necessarily about making money so much as it is the band doing what it was originally intended to do in the first place – make music that people will get to hear.

In the words of Maynard James Keenan...

I sold out long before you ever even heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,

Dip sh*t

And then you bought one

When people are applying the idea of “selling out” to this business, they are typically doing it with unrealistic ideas of what this business is all about. First and foremost, professional wrestling is a business. It exists to entertain people and make money. Those two things are not separate. When one or the other doesn't happen, the business does not work.

When someone criticizes Richard Eisen for adjusting the product of his Supreme Wrestling Federation, whether to suit some mainstream trend or to appease his sponsors, they are failing to understand the SWF. Failing to understand that the SWF was built to follow mainstream trends and to attract sponsors. That for nearly forty years, that has been the basic formula to how the SWF build itself into a global giant. That is the very basis of Sports Entertainment.

When someone criticizes Tommy Cornell for putting over Rocky Golden clean, they are failing to understand this business. Idiot posters claiming that Golden doesn't belong in TCW and Cornell shouldn't put him over are, well, idiots. Yes, TCW is more about in-ring action than USPW or the SWF. The actual wrestling is taken more seriously and matters more. But the business still needs recognizable names. Its great every match a promotion on is a 5-star classic, but you need names to get people through the door. To put *sses into the seats. Rocky does that. Fans love him. And anyone who thinks that isn't “traditional” needs to take a long look at the history of the business to see how far a great look and charisma has always taken people.

Any time a well known and well liked indy wrestler makes the jump to a bigger promotion, they are accused of selling out. I saw it happen when TCW signed the likes of James Prudence and the Cali Dragons duo of Perez and James. Of course, these accusers can never really define why exactly a professional wrestler should choose not to to take a step forward in their chosen profession. Why exactly they should turn down the financial and personal security that comes from working for one of the bigger promotions in the industry, as opposed to making a few hundred dollars per show to stay in the indies. Unless there are specific circumstances, it would be stupid to turn down the opportunity they have been working towards attaining... yet that is apparently what some fans expect of them.

Being an insider is not what has given me this perspective to the idea of “selling out”. Being logical and having some understanding of how this business works does.

When I first saw the threads on “selling out” posted, I argued against it. Quite elegantly, I like to think. But that didn't keep more such threads from appearing. So I have simply given up. I have not stopped being annoyed at these “so-and-so sold out” threads on my favorite forums... but I've come to simply ignore them. Its just easier that way.

The Total Mark

Sunday, Week 3 May 2010

That total mark was right on the money Bigpapa42. Even in a performance based fed like TCW, it still comes down to overness to determine who your major stars are. It doesn't matter if you are the second coming of Dan Stone Jr in the ring if no one knows your name or cares about you. You still have to have the charisma to get the fans behind you, either to cheer as a face, or boo as a heel. Lets face it, in pro wrestling, it is charisma, and the ability to get the fans interested in you either way that is most likely to determine how big a star you become in any wrestling promotion, the ability to perform well in the ring is usually just an added bonus.

Even in the heyday of Ric Flair, and the performance based NWA, Dusty Rhodes was still able to make himself almost as big a star, and a credible world champion, based of incredible charisma and fan connection, and only a decent amount of ring skill, similiar to a Rocky Golden.

Was the above article a subtle dig at those no-good Rocky Golden haters?

They don't deserve a moment of The Golden One's time. They don't even deserve bronze.

Haha, no it wasn't. I don't mind the discussion of Golden and the TCW product as a whole, so I wouldn't intentionally discourage it.

I envision TCW as having some very critical fans, some of whom would really dislike Golden because they truly believe TCW should be nothing more than great match after great match. And he can't deliver that the way that Cornell could. Amp has some similar concerns, but he is really just looking at a game-play issues. In an actual game-world, Golden's value to a promotion would go well beyond what he can or can't do in the ring.

I've been meaning to do the "sell out" segment for awhile now. It was inspired by a debate on another wrestling forum I read a long time ago, about whether indy workers who take WWE deal are "selling out". I was actually going to make it much longer, with several more examples to tie in with the CV, but I felt it would become too much of a rant. So I held off.

Archived