NYCW: Old School 'Til We Die

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE- OLD SCHOOL VS. FRONTLINE

Atom Smasher © vs. Cameron Vessey

Smasher finally beats Vessey one-on-one, to secure his rightful claim to the title and bring the Era Of Vessey to a screeching halt.

FOR THE NYCW TAG TEAM TITLES

The Ring Generals © vs. Fury & Finesse vs. The Lone Star Express vs. Natural Storm

Champion's advantage carries the day.

Steve Flash vs. Honest Frank

Heel challenger for face champ.

FOR THE TRI-STATE REGIONAL TITLE

Sammy the Shark © vs. Remmy Honeyman

Maybe... sure, why not?

FOR THE NYCW WOMEN’S TITLE

Stephanie Wade © vs. Amber Allen vs. Miss Wrestling vs. Tamara McFly

No hotshots!

The New York Doll vs. Cowboy Buck Winchester

Unexpected development and a solid midcard push makes the Doll the likely winner this time around.

Lee Wright vs. Kentucky Bill

JOBBER!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYCW Big Time Wrestling III

Live to DVD from The Home of Old School

Saturday, Week 4, April 2012

Audience: 1,737

Pre-Show/DVD Extras

Emma Bitch vs. Sally Anne Christianson

The women’s division become very focussed on the same four girls just recently, so I wanted to get the others out there and see what they could do. The answer, at least according to this match, is ‘not much’- Emma’s drugs habit was more of an issue than usual due to her morale (why does everybody get so pissy about getting a couple of months off?) and Sally’s too green to make much of a difference off her own bat. I gave this one to Emma- Sally may be Vicky’s girl but she ain’t getting the wins just yet.

Winner: Emma Bitch Match Rating: D

Ford Gumble vs. Rick Sanders

I would’ve quite happily put this one on the main show, but there wasn’t time for it, and in any case I didn’t think to book it ‘til I was putting the dark matches together earlier today. At this stage Rick’s a tag guy with little or no chance of a major singles career, but he’s a good worker and has the fundamentals to carry just about anyone to a good match. As for Ford, when you’re not putting him in a main event he’s a solid worker, and whilst I’m not always sure I can count on him he’s capable of delivering the goods, especially a worker like Rick who can make up for his average fundamentals. Given that he’s a good bit younger than his opponent Ford took the win, nailing Rick with the Savate Kick at the 10 minute mark.

Winner: Ford Gumble Match Rating: C-

The Show

Lee Wright vs. Kentucky Bill

We’ve had better squashes, but then the whole point of a squash match is to fill time and provide the winner with momentum so who cares how good it is? As for the actual competitors, Lee continues to defy all laws of basic common sense and continue to wrestle despite his age, so I kinda feel obliged to keep him in the main event (plus he’s tough as all h*ll), and Bill’s a good jobber with the talent to go further if I ever get the urge. Given that he’s one of our main event stars and Bill’s one of our lowest ranked stars Lee took this one, forcing Bill to tap out to the Wright Stuff.

Winner: Lee Wright Match Rating: D+

Stephanie Wade vs. Amber Allen vs. Miss Wrestling vs. Tamara McFly

Whoops. This one was meant to go to Stephanie, to allow her to retain the title, but evidently there was a miscommunication between me and Bailey and Tammy walked out of this one the champion. Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing- Tammy did a good job as champion last time, and Stephanie’s yet to really impress me as a worker- but it does rather put a spanner in my plans going forward. Still, the match itself was a decent one, as all four girls are solid workers, and even managed to play into the continuing saga of Stephanie and the loaded boot, as she went for the Superkick on Tamara, only for Tammy to dodge and leave Miss Wrestling on the receiving end. Steph was then tied up by Amber in the Cross Armbreaker, whilst Tammy rolled Miss Wrestling up for the pinfall, scoring the pinfall seconds before Steph tapped out.

Winner: Tamara McFly Match Rating: C-

For the first time tonight we’re back at the NYCW Interview Position, where Cameron’s on hype duty for the main event

“I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking that when Atom Smasher managed to win my belt last month at Manhattan Mêlée then the Era of Vessey ended, and I was done here. Well I’m sorry folks, but like it or not the Era of Vessey is still going strong- I am still the best thing in the business, and tonight I’m taking my title back. Atom Smasher, you already know that I hate your guts, but when we get in that ring tonight you’re gonna feel the full extent of my hatred. I am gonna bend you, I am gonna break you, and I am gonna leave you lying in a hospital with no career and no title.”

This wasn’t quite as high calibre as Cameron’s promo from last month, but he’s still one of our most reliable promo men so it got an excellent reaction.

Rating: C-

The New York Doll vs. Cowboy Buck Winchester

This was an okay match, but I was hoping for something better. The major problem was, unusually, The Doll- he was having a bit of an off night and wasn’t on top form. Against Buck, who to be frank is too green to be a great worker, that made for a match that was a decent enough brawl but lacked the energy to be really up to scratch. The story was simple enough- Doll was as vicious as ever, but this time Buck came prepared and countered Doll’s attempts to put him out of commission with some high-impact brawling of his own, slamming Doll into the turnbuckles and throwing him out of the ring so he could whip him into the barriers and steps. In the end Michael called for the double DQ on the grounds of…well, on the grounds that the two guys were more interested in just beating the h*ll out of each other than in the match.

Winner: None Match Rating: D+

Once again we’re back at the interview position, where Kristen’s on hype duty for Sammy’s match

“There’s nothing quite as pathetic as a tag-along, Remmy, so you’ll understand when I say that I really don’t see how you came to deserve this title shot. So, tonight, Sammy’s going to finally prove to everyone in this company that you don’t deserve the spot you’ve been given, that you’ve done nothing but hang onto the coat-tails of past-their-prime hacks like Steve Flash and Ford Gumble and that you ain’t nothing but a low-down little worm”

This was…well, one of the worst reactions I remember having to a promo. I’m not quite sure why that is- Kristen’s a good talker and Sammy and Remmy have decent overness- but at a guess I’d say that the storyline needs some added pep before it gets more mic time.

Rating: D-

Sammy the Shark vs. Remmy Honeyman

Kristen’s promo might have been disappointing, but this was a good match, as might be expected from two of our most reliable midcarders. We went with a story of brawling vs. technique- Sammy using his superior brawling ability to counter Remmy’s slight technical edge, whilst Kristen did her bit distracting Michael from ringside to give Sammy a chance to work in a couple of dirty tricks in order to gain an edge. In the end, though, Remmy almost proved too much for the champion, and it took interference from DC Rayne, who hit Remmy with the Storm Damage whilst Michael’s back was turned, for Sammy to gain the breathing room he needed to hit The Ace in the Hole and retain the title.

Winner: Sammy the Shark Match Rating: C-

Before the tag match, the tell-tale intro to ‘Liar’ brings out Honest Frank, mic in hand

“You know, I was looking at the plans for next month’s show, Rumble in the Bronx, and I noticed that after I beat up that old fossil Steve Flash I’ll have a free slot next month. So, Atom Smasher? If you manage to retain the title tonight, I figure it’s time for you and me to have a go-round for the title- it’s been way too long since I had a shot at gold, and I think now’s the time for me to have a shot. But don’t worry, I’m gonna play fair. To cheat the win would just devalue the title, and I have no interest in foul play.

“After all…Would I Lie To You?”

Frank’s always good value on the mic, and this segment was pretty much business as usual.

Rating: D+

Natural Storm vs. The Ring Generals vs. Fury & Finesse vs. The Lone Star Express

This match was an out-and-out clusterf*ck, but that kind of match can work really well in the right circumstances, and any set of circumstances featuring these four teams counts as right. The major problem with this one, and the one that stopped this matching the best output of the division, was that we didn’t have much of a story for this one: it basically revolved around each team hitting their spots in succession, and whilst that can work as a story in and of itself it’s not as involving as our usual narratives. Naturally enough this one went to the champions- any one of these teams could hold the belts, but I’m not done with The Ring Generals in the top slot just yet.

Winners: The Ring Generals Match Rating: C

After the match we go backstage, to Victoria Stone’s office, where Fury & Finesse are apparently trying to browbeat the commissioner into giving them what they want

“Look, you’ve already had two separate title shots this year, plus at least one other opportunity back in 2011. And you’ve lost every time, so exactly why should I give you another chance at the titles?”

Rhino looms over Victoria, clearly trying to intimidate her, but for once his tactics clearly aren’t working

“Back off Rhino, unless you want a face full of Superkick- Johnny Bloodstone you ain’t, boy, not yet.”

“Look, Mrs. Stone, I appreciate that our standing may have been affected by one or two unfortunate results, but I still think we deserve another shot. Tonight’s encounter was unfairly stacked against us- we didn’t just have to be better than the champions, we also had to outclass two other teams, both of whom are more experienced than us. As a demonstration of skill that match didn’t allow us a proper chance to show what we can do”

“You’re Old School, Youngman- what you do is cheat like crazy and make my life difficult. You want another title shot? Get rid of Queen Emily, kick Cameron in the face and then we’ll see about it”

For a second it looks like Youngman’s going to hit her, but remembering the Commissioner’s feared superkick he calms himself down (though not without effort)

“Look, how’s this? Next month, at Back in the New York Groove, you give us a non-title match against the champions, just the four of us, no interference, no other teams. If we win that one then I figure we get another shot at the title”

“Okay, fine. But I see anyone from The Old School interfere in that match, then I’m personally going to come down and kick your teeth in, you got that?”

Ernest and Vicky are good talkers, which always makes for good angles, and the crowd always enjoy Fury & Finesse’s matches with the champs, so the reaction to this one was as good as you’ll see in NYCW.

Rating: C-

Back at the NYCW Interview Position, Atom Smasher’s on hype duty for the main event

“Tonight, the plans of the Frontline Foundation have reached apogee, and like the great asteroid Rama the champion of Atomic Fury will tonight sweep aside all those who would oppose him and cast into the great starless Rift of Baal-Ireboth, thence to be destroyed by the great beast that lurks beyond time and space. Tonight, the force that flows through all living beings, the great atomic energy that flows down from the great champions of old, will be felt across the land, and the dark side will be destroyed once and for all, consumed in the purifying fire of Diaspar”

Atom Smasher’s our biggest name and our best talker, so this was always going to get a good reaction. Having said that, the pop was this was excellent- up there with our best matches

Rating: C+

Steve Flash vs. Honest Frank

I’ve finally managed to pin down the problem with Steve’s matches of late: he’s starting to decay physically, and he’s started to develop bad knees that hold him back in matches. Most specifically that means that his aerial moveset is limited to stuff like splashes and moonsaults that don’t place too much pressure on his legs, but it also has the unfortunate effect of severely limiting his dropkicks: he still hits them like nobody else, but unfortunately he can only hit two or three a match now. Even with his physical problems, though, Steve’s still one of the best on our roster, and against a capable worker like Frank that made for a decent match, and a rare example of Steve practising ‘steakhouse wrestling’- normally his moveset allows for a little more flash than most of our guys, but tonight he stuck to his technical game with the occasional dropkick thrown in for good measure. Frank, meanwhile, has the knack of being able to work essentially the same match every show and still make it entertaining, largely thanks to his charisma and a decent grasp of psychology (plus the fact that he’s usually working against Steve Flash, which probably helps). In the end this one went to Steve via DQ, after Frank miscalculated on Bull’s positioning and nailed a low blow in full view of the ref.

Winner: Steve Flash Match Rating: C

Atom Smasher vs. Cameron Vessey

Well, we’re two for two on quality title defences since Smasher took the belt. This was an excellent match, built around a clash of power games- for all he’s a smaller guy, Cameron’s got a lot of muscles mass- which made for an exciting, if perhaps rather slower than usual, encounter. Still, that kind of slow-and-heavy style has it’s place, and with a hot storyline behind them every spot in this match was greeted with a considerable pop from our crowd, especially the trademark spots like Atom Smasher’s one-handed scoop slam or Cameron’s turnbuckle powerbomb and delayed vertical suplex. However, I still have one concern about this match: we had a hot storyline behind this one, and in fact behind last month’s four-way match, and I’m not yet sure how good Atom Smasher’s going to be without the heat to give him a boost. Not that I’m worried he’ll be bad, but Cameron’s run with the title was such a success that it’s hard not to worry about how good his successor’s going to be. In any case he walked away from this one the winner, reversing a second attempt at the delayed vertical suplex into a german for the win.

Winner: Atom Smasher Match Rating: B-

Overall Rating: C, and a new best-ever show. Don’t why that is- nothing on the undercard made the top 10, and even the main event was only number two on the list, but like h*ll am I complaining.

Another week, another show. Let's see how the predictions went:

Boltinho: 2/7

Regis: 3/7, though it would have been 4 if I hadn't mephed up the booking of the women's title match

BYU 14: 4/7

Dragonmack: 6/7

So, this week's clear winner is David 'The Dragon' Mack, who gets the right to ask a question of any NYCW superstar currently on roster. And closing out tonight we've got last week's question from Regis:

For Miss Wrestling: "Why the mask and pseudonym? What do you have to hide, huh?"

Miss Wrestling: It's not about hiding, it's about making a statement. I'm the greatest wrestler on the women's scene right now, better than anyone else: I'm not just a great female wrestler, I am Wrestling, and my name makes that clear to everyone. As for masks, I'm not hiding anything it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

Buddy Rogers’ New York Minute

Well, Big Time Wrestling has been and gone, and it’s time for another round of the New York Minute. This month, I’m happy to bring you an exclusive transcript of a recent interview Radio Free Wrestling conducted with NYCW owner, road agent and the only man in the world Hugh Dansigny has ever called ‘The Governor’, ‘The Stomper’ Derek Bradford. As always, the interview is available for download from TEW.com’s homepage

TEW: We’re here talking to NYCW owner The Stomper, and I guess there’s only one question we can start with: are you finally going to hang up the boots for good?

The Stomper: Y’know, I’ve been talking about it on and off for months now, and I can’t say whether or not it’s gonna happen. Some days I feel like I could walk away right that second without looking back, and some days I can’t imagine leaving it behind. Right now nothing’s written in concrete, but there’s no set plan to retire this year.

TEW: Having got that out of the way, I guess the next major topic is NYCW- you opened the company in 1988, and in September of this year the company will celebrate it’s 24th Anniversary. Did you have any idea when you started the company that it would last this long?

The Stomper: Yep. You gotta look at it the way I did- back in ’88, the SWF numbers were down but the TWL was holding pretty firm and up in Canada North of the Border was pulling in great crowds- it was obvious to me that there was a crowd for old school, traditional wrestling on the East Coast that wasn’t being catered to. And that kind of audience has the advantage that it doesn’t go away- Old School doesn’t feature much by way of blood, violence or sex, so you’re gonna get families, young children, the kind of fanbase that doesn’t necessarily follow wrestling but will always come to the shows and spend money. So any company that plays to them is going to be around a long time.

TEW: The other thing that really stands out about NYCW is the fact that it’s still the same company it was in ’88- you look at the SWF, OLLIE, Burning Hammer, or any of the other companies that were around back then, even more modern set-ups like the Coastal Zone or 4C, they’ve all undergone changes over the years as different bookers or owners come in and try and put their stamp on the company. Obviously, NYCW’s never changed hands in a business sense, but how’ve you managed to maintain that creative continuity in terms of the overall vision?

The Stomper: A lot of times, when a company undergoes a big overhaul or changes a lot, it’s because the guys with the money don’t know as much about wrestling as they think they do. I’m thinking particularly of guys like Komine in Japan or Troy Winner- they’ve got money and they like wrestling, but because they’re not in the business in the same way that a worker would be, they’re much more open to just doing whatever seems like a good idea. So you get guys like Prince Jafar or Joey Poison, or any one of the half a dozen guys who’ve run Burning Hammer over the years, who basically do whatever the hell they like and then just talk the money man into backing their play. Here in New York, though, if you’re running the book it’s because I put you there, so everybody who’s done that over the years knows exactly what they should be doing and how NYCW should be run.

TEW: Balanced against that perspective, of course, is the argument that the creative team needs to have the freedom to develop the company as they see fit- that growth can only come through developing the company’s identity.

The Stomper: Speaking for myself, and as a man who’s been in this business for 45 years, that’s complete B.S.- a company grows because of the talent, not because of what the bookers are doing. People don’t say ‘oh, check out that company, the booker’s really good’ they say ‘check out those guys, they’re f*cking bad@ss’ or ‘did you see what that guy did last night?’ The job of the booker is just to frame the talent in the right way, and that’s just a matter of doing the same half a dozen things in a slightly different way.

TEW: Moving closer to the present day, a lot of people have identified the last couple of years as some of the best work NYCW’s ever done- what’s your take on that?

The Stomper: I don’t know about saying best- for one thing, if I say that and Hugh sees it, and he would, I’d never be able to get his ego under control. But there’s a lot of positives in what he’s done for the company, the way he’s managed to integrate a lot of more contemporary action, stuff like Ota’s Japanese style or the women’s division, into the company and still stay very Old School and Traditional. That’s not always an easy thing to do, but he’s done a great job of that and really gets what NYCW is about.

TEW: Has there ever been an occasion where he’s done something that you’ve really disagreed with, creatively speaking?

The Stomper: Nothing really major, and a lot of the time if I don’t agree with it he’ll pass it off as a mistake or an experiment and abandon it himself, but there’s been a couple of thing that we’ve really clashed on. The best example is Atom Smasher- when he first came into the company Hugh basically treated him as just another guy he could throw into the main event, when it was obvious that he was our biggest star and should be pushed as a big name. Obviously, though, Hugh got behind him quite quickly once he saw how good Smasher can be. And I was never convinced by the Brass Knuckles title- that was just Hugh getting bored and spending money to keep himself interested- but we’ve abandoned that now in favour of a new title, the NYCW Veterans Title, which is much more oriented around what we do and the kind of product we put out.

TEW: We’re almost out of time, but there’s one more question I’d like to ask- you’ve said that you’re not sure when you’ll retire, but have you ever thought about who you’d like to take over NYCW after you’ve gone?

The Stomper: I think there’s a point where you’ve got to accept that when you choose to retire you can’t dictate what’s going to happen afterwards- you can’t say ‘Only this man can take my company’. But there’s a couple of guys who really seem to get what NYCW should be about, and if I could choose who took over after I retired I’d have to go for either Ota, who really respects Old School wrestling but doesn’t get hung up on it, or Remmy Honeyman, who honestly reminds me of how I used to be when I was his age- he’s really passionate about traditional wrestling and could be a big talent for the company going forward.

TEW: Well, that’s all we’ve got time for this week. I’d like to thank our guest, The Stomper, and reminds folks that NYCW will as always be holding their next show, Back in the New York Groove, in The Home of Old School on the last Saturday on the Month. ‘Til next month then, Goodnight and we’ll see you at the wrestling.

The card for NYCW Back in the New York Groove currently looks something like this:

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE

Atom Smasher © vs. Honest Frank

FOR THE NYCW VETERANS TITLE

Lee Wright vs. Steve Flash

Remmy Honeyman vs. Fumihiro Ota

The Ring Generals (Statler & Waldorf) vs. Fury & Finesse (Ernest Youngman & Rhino Umaga)

Sammy the Shark © vs. Dazzling Dave Diamond

Tamara McFly © vs. Stephanie Wade vs. Amber Allen

Miss Wrestling vs. Connie Morris

OOC Note: Next show will be up Saturday, but after that I'm not sure- we've pretty much run out of written-up shows, and with Christmas and Uni both tasking up a lot of time we may go on something of a hiatus over the holidays. Hopefully not, mind you, but at this stage I can't guarantee a regular schedule for the next few weeks

Not a chance he's getting dethroned so early.

For sheer quality.

Keep Fumi strong, even if there isn't much for him right now.

The Ring Generals (Statler & Waldorf) vs. Fury & Finesse (Ernest Youngman & Rhino Umaga)

I have a hard time voting against these guys.

Hey, I've been right every other time I've voted for him.

Why not? there can be a bit of back-and-forth in a few months, but not yet.

Because she's cool.

Really liked the Stomper interview. Great insight.

A sporadic schedule is fine. Letting this wither away is not!

He's always been the man

Flash is the perfect holder

Its not Remmy's time yet

Its NYCW so old and staid gets it

I like DDD

Question for Honest Frank : How do you feel about these new wave of wrestlers that have come in and edged you out of the spotlight?

Just wanted to apologise for the lack of a show this week, folks- Uni work is now getting very busy, so for the next week or so I'm basically working almost exclusively on essays. Expect it this Saturday, as by then I'll have finished uni and should have some time on my hands.

NYCW Back in the New York Groove

Live to DVD from The Home of Old School

Saturday, Week 4, May

Audience: 1,810

Pre-Show/DVD Extras:

The New York Doll vs. Bradley Blaze

Doll’s contract is up for negotiation, so I figured this would be a good chance to keep him onside for when we actually make the deal. As you might expect from these two, this was a solid match, based almost entirely around high-energy brawling and playing to the crowd. Unfortunately, whilst both guys are good at what they do they don’t have what you’d call extensive playbooks, and whilst Doll’s had some rapid improvement in the past he’s yet to really extend his playbook in any meaningful way- he’s developing the ability to do more, but not to the extent that it’s made an impact on his moveset. In any case, though, he and Bradley are both solid hands in the ring, and this was a good match, which ended with the Doll nailing Bradley with the New York Death Drop for the win.

Winner: The New York Doll Match Rating: D+

The Show

She’s been wrestling for less than a year, but already Brooke’s becoming one of the centrepieces of the women’s division, as was proved by this rather extraordinary opener. Admittedly a large part of her success is simply due to her style- as a pure technician she’s ideally suited to NYCW- but she’s also got star quality and charisma to spare, and her talent is way beyond what you’d expect for someone with her inexperience. Having said all that, though, let’s not take anything away from Connie, who’s basically a female version of The Masked Mauler- average in-ring skills, excellent fundamentals and a positive personality behind the scenes. And like Mauler she’s not much more than a lower-card workhorse who loses to the big stars, as was demonstrated here when she went down to the Brooke Breaker at the 10 minute mark.

Winner: Miss Wrestling Match Rating: C

No sooner has the match finished than we’re headed to the back, where The New York Doll’s being his usual angry self

“Look Vicky, I don’t give a good god-d@mn about what you’ve got planned, next month at Riots on Wall Street I want another go at that no-good redneck Buck Winchester”

“Y’know, Doll, you’d get a lot more results if you were polite to people once in a while. I don’t know how many times I’ve got to say this, but I’m not here to do whatever you tell me. I’M in charge around here, and you’ll wrestle who I tell you to wrestle”

“Oh really? I’m telling you Vicky, you do NOT wanna get me angry. Stay Down, Stand Back or Get Whacked, because if you get between me and the Cowboy I am going to take you down, and make real sure it hurts every step of the way!”

“You sure you wanna do this? Because the only outcome I can see is you getting a face full of my boot, and I hate to think what that might do for your career. Concussion is such an ugly thing, you know?”

Doll looks about ready to attack the Commisioner, but just about manages to reing himself in.

“Alright, what the hell ever. All I wanna do is get in the win with Buck Winchester, you understand? I don’t care what kind of stupid bull-cr@p stipulation you put on it- Texas Whipping, Bronx Death Match, even a custard pie ball pit match or something, I just wanna fight that guy, okay?”

“You know what? I like that. Whatever match I want? Okay, well because you showed the right kind of fighting spirit you’ll have your match, with no stupid stipulations or special rules. But you even think of stepping out of line or getting heavy with me again, and I promise you I will kick your teeth in, you got that?”

This didn’t get a great rating, but considering it was a fluff piece to move Doll/Buck along it was okay.

Rating: D

Sammy the Shark vs. Dazzling Dave Diamond

This was a good match- nothing really outstanding, but a solid encounter nonetheless. Sammy’s done a good job as Tri-State champion- sure, he’s never really outshone the tag division or risen up the ranks off the back of his title run, but to be totally honest that’s not what the Tri-State division is about. See, for me a midcard title is for the lifers- the guys who aren’t going to be rising up the card but who will be here long after the big stars have retired or been snapped up by Supreme or Cornell, the guys who you can always slot in on the card, confident in the belief that they’ll do exactly what you want of them. Sammy is probably our biggest lifer- chances are that when Steve’s retired, Smasher’s gone back to the big leagues and Cameron’s knocking ‘em dead off in Japan or wherever, Sammy’s still going to be here and still be one of our most reliable stars. As for Dave, he’s another potential lifer who’ll probably spend his career flitting between singles and tag matches and mid-lining both- he’s a good worker, but I don’t know that I’d go for him as a champion. In any case, this one went to Sammy, after Natural Storm interfered whilst Kristen had the ref distracted and nailed Dave with A Storm is Coming, setting him up for the ****y pin from Sammy.

Winner: Sammy the Shark Match Rating: C-

For the first time tonight we’re back at the NYCW Interview Position, where Honest Frank is on hype duty for the main event

“Tonight, I’m taking on Atom Smasher for the Empire Title. Now, I know you’re a big name Smasher, but this is the first time you’ve held the title, whereas me? I’m a two-time champion, and tonight I’m looking to make it three. But I know you- you’re a tough guy, big powerful worker, and more to the point you’re so far round the twist that nothing I say is going to get through to you. So I’m going to put this in Smasher-talk for you.

“When the fourteenth moon of the fifteenth planet rises over the atomic solar seas of the shadow-moon, then shall the atomic champion be cast down by the master of honesty and truth, for he is a no-good jobber that couldn’t win a match with a man with one leg”

This one didn’t get a fantastic reaction, but it still did a solid job

Rating: D+

Backstage, Amber Allen is getting ready for her match when Miss Wrestling and Natural Storm come out of her blind side and beat her down, nailing A Storm is Coming and leaving her laid out on the floor.

Rating: E

Tamara McFly vs. Stephanie Wade vs. Amber Allen

This was a solid match, but I’m starting to think that Stephanie isn’t really going to deliver for us as champion. For one thing, she never seems motivated, and that’s kind of a problem when she’s got the likes of Amber and Brooke breathing down her neck. As for Tammy, she’s great but deserves a chance to drop back a bit and not have to carry the division, especially considering she’s also the franchise player of the CWWF, whilst Amber needs to polish her fundamentals up a bit before she can carry the division. The story for this one was simple: Steph attempted to use her loaded boot to take advantage, but both Tammy and Amber (who made it to the ring after the bell had rung, still feeling the effects of the attack) were able to counter it but couldn’t seal the deal and take home the win. In the end Steph took the win, nailing both her opponents with the loaded superkick.

Winner: Stephanie Wade Match Rating: C-

Once again we’re back at the Interview Position, where The Ring Generals’ new managed Haley Buck is on hype duty for their match

“Seems to me, every time we turn around Fury & Finesse are whining about not getting a title shot. Guys, it’s getting kind of old. You might be two of the best wrestlers in the world, but in the world of tag team wrestling there’s nobody better than The Ring Generals…well, maybe The New Wave or The Canadian Blondes. But they’re not in NYCW, so I don’t think we’ll have to wrestle them, unless they join us or something, but I don’t think they would, ‘cos, well, they’re kind of already working for other people. But, yeah, other than them, we’re definitely the best, and we’re easily the best team in this company, so you’re just not gonna beat us. Unless you cheat, which you might…but even then we’ll still win, ‘cos we’re just that good, ‘kay?”

This got a solid reaction, but I think Haley still needs some work. Her persona, essentially nice-but-dim, isn’t one we use a lot and I think we’re still working out how to make it really work.

The Ring Generals vs. Fury & Finesse

These guys have yet to match the Tag Classic from Manhattan Mêlée, but this was an excellent match, built around the same formula as usual. Namely, Rhino throws the generals around, they tag in and out and hit lots of double-teams, Ernest out-wrestles everything in sight, rinse and repeat as necessary. As for the managers, Haley did the usual face manager stuff- getting the crowd onside, starting chants, et cetera- whilst Emily was more directly involved, interfering every chance she got and distracting the ref when she couldn’t so her boys could get an illegal double-team in. In the end, this one went to Fury & Finesse, who used a distraction from Queen Emily to nail Statler with a double Yakuza Kick before taking Waldorf down with The Perfect Combination, winning the match and securing their future title shot.

Winners: Fury & Finesse Match Rating: C

Back at the interview position Kristen’s on hype duty for Ota’s match

“I tried to think of someone who I want to see beaten more than you, Honeyman, but I honestly couldn’t think of one. For months now you’ve been a thorn in the side of my Collective, and despite the fact that you’re not even fit to lick his boots you insist on trying to steal Sammy’s Tri-State Regional Title. Well, tonight, that comes to an end, because tonight, you’re wrestling the Silent Assassin Fumihiro Ota, and he’s not a man you can beat. Kiss goodbye to your career, Remmy, because after tonight you’re done”

This was a solid angle, if nothing really special.

Remmy’s a bit of a conundrum- on the one hand, he consistently hands in good matches, but on the other he’s shown barely any improvement for as long as he’s worked here. Granted, that’s partially because he’s already a very solid worker, but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t do with some improvement, particularly in his brawling and psychology. Admittedly Ota’s brawling wasn’t going to do him any favours, but given that the Silent Assassin is one of our top ring generals I’d expected Remmy to pick up at least a couple of tricks here and there, so his failure to do so was singularly disappointing. Not to take anything away from the match itself, though, which was as good a match as you’re likely to see in NYCW, with technical wrestling firmly plonked front-and-centre and the kind of story our fans can always get behind: Ota was equally matched by Remmy’s technical ability, forcing him to go to his aerial offence to maintain the advantage, whilst Kristen Pearce went through her entire repertoire of evil-manager-routines at ringside. In the end, though, it all counted for nought, as Remmy was able to roll through an attempted cross-body and hook Ota’s leg for the three-count.

Winner: Remmy Honeyman Match Rating: C

Back at the Interview Position, Atom Smasher’s on hype duty for the main event

“In the deepest halls of the shadow, there is no form of evil more base, more truly vile, than treachery and deceit. But tonight the Prince of Lies, the Champion of Treachery, meets his destiny, as laid down by the disciples of atomic energy, enshrined forever in the halls of long-past Babylon, the shining beacon alone in the night. Tonight, the champion of Atomic Justice will once again stand proud, passing through the universe casting down the servants of shadow and enshrining all that is good in the cosmic vaults, shining down upon earth from the depths of space”

The crowd always love Smasher’s promos, even when they’re more nonsensically tangential than usual.

Rating: C+

Steve Flash vs. Lee Wright

I like the concept of the Veterans title- as a company NYCW’s always had more regard for the older wrestlers than the likes of 4C or CZCW- but there’s a couple of problems with it. For one thing, a lot of the guys who’ll be competing for the title, like Lee or Frank, are already in top title contention, which for me weakens the viability of the title (why go for this one when you can have a shot at the top title?). For another, rather more important, thing, there’s only one face in the company who can legitimately challenge for the title- Ford and Dave could just about make it into the age bracket but neither are what I’d call a veteran (or worthy of a singles title run, but that’s another issue entirely). In any case, we’ve got the title now and it’s my job to make it work, so this match was definitely a good thing. I was worried that Lee’s back and Steve’s knees might count against this one, but they simply worked round this by working a stand-and-strike match, with Lee throwing Japanese-style chops whilst Steve responded with forearm shots and the occasional dropkick. In the end this one went to Lee, who weakened Steve up with an attempt at the Wright Stuff before dropping him with a spinning clothesline.

Winner: Lee Wright Match Rating: C

Atom Smasher vs. Honest Frank

This was Smasher’s first title defence against someone other than Cameron, and his first chance to really prove himself as a champion. Well, I’m impressed: this was a strong match with a slightly storyline. Normally with these two we’d go with big powerful face vs. cheating heel, but Frank’s got an inch in height and 40 pounds in weight on the champ, so we went with him playing more of a bully and mixing his usual dirty tricks in with a more vicious, brawling approach. As for Smasher, he’s not the best underdog babyface, but he did a decent job of seeming slightly overpowered by his foe’s unusual offence, nailing only the occasional lariat or suplex, before storming back at the 10 minute mark with the one-handed scoop slam and an elbow drop that got him a strong 2-count. From there it was all the champion, as he used his high-impact offence to dominate proceedings, eventually putting Frank away with the Mushroom Cloud.

Winner: Atom Smasher Match Rating: C+

Overall Rating: C, and number 3 on the top 10, continuing a three-month run of peak shows.

Let's have a look at how the predictions went for this one, shall we?

Regis: 4/7

Boltinho: 2/7

Dragonmack: 4/7

ajcrible: 4/7

So, it's a three-way tie, but because it's christmas and I'm still writing more material for this dynasty (for more on the current schedule see later on in this post) I'll bestow this gift on my loyal readers: anyone, regardless of whether or not they've predicted, posted or even read this dynasty, can ask a question of any NYCW superstar they wish. I'll post ther answers as questions come up, with the tentative plan being to post them once a day for the next week or so.

Then, after New Years I'm hoping to return to a regular schedule, with the usual monday/wednesday/saturday postings. As I've said, material is still very much in progress, so things may become a little more broekn up as workload demands, but hopefully I'll be able to keep this going as a regular presence for a while yet.

<p>Okay, so there's (phenomenally) bad news and some good news, folks.</p><p> </p><p> Firstly, the bad news: due to a corrupted savegame and accidental deletion, I've lost this savegame. Unfortunately, that means that, due to a slow workrate and heavy essay load, this dynasty must also come to an end. I've been really enjoying this game and the dynasty, and losing it is bloody annoying (not least because I was actually starting to really nail a long-term dynasty and get some recognition). </p><p> </p><p> However, with that rather awful news behind me, I'm pleased to announce that plans are underway for a new dynasty, on a new continent with new faces you won't have seen before (in a dynasty by me anyway). You see, over in Australia there's a future company called Kingdom Championship Class Wrestling, who are notable for...well, let's look at the description, shall we?</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="27892" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Kingdom Championship Class Wrestling are a promotion from the west coast of Australia who favour a traditional approach to the sport, almost being a throwback to the style that was common on the independent scene of America during the 70s and 80s.<p> </p><p> As well as being noted for promoting technical wrestling, KCCW are also big on tag team work, and make doubles action one of the focal points of their booking.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> So, let's break it down:</p><p> </p><p> 1) A Throwback to Old School American Wrestling.</p><p> </p><p> 2) A Heavy Emphasis on Tag Teams</p><p> </p><p> 3) You can't see it from there, but they've got exactly the same product as NYCW</p><p> </p><p> So, as 2010 becomes 2011, 'The Deputy Prime Minister of Old School' 1PWfan (well if Steve Corino is the King then Dragonmack <em>has</em> to be Prime Minister) will be striking on a whole new continent, playing a game that will hopefully feature some new guys you won't have heard of before and some that Aficionados for C-Verse Australia will know. So, in the new year, I give you</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';">Kingdom Championship Class Wrestling: The Legend of Bonnie Rockworth</span></span></em></strong></p></div><p></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="1PWfan" data-cite="1PWfan" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="27892" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Okay, so there's (phenomenally) bad news and some good news, folks.<p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Sorry to hear that this one is ending, but also very excited for your new project!!</p>

Archived