Tamara McFly vs. Emma Bitch

Freddie Datsun vs. Eddie Howard

Sammy the Shark vs. Jared Johnson

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE

Steve Flash vs. Fumihiro Ota

At least Jeremy hasn't stolen Flash from you to run the NOTBPW book like he did me. And while Ota is a good challenger and worthy to hold the Empire title, Steve just won it, and should be your banner carrier for awhile.

FOR THE TRI-STATE REGIONAL TITLE

Ford Gumble vs. Honest Frank

Frank can hold this title, but he really belongs around the main event.

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

Wright always seems more likely to retire sooner than Whistler.

FOR THE NYCW WOMEN’S TITLE

Never bet against the bookers wife

Still sticking with my no Ota policy. Plus I think Flash should have this in the bag.

Pretty much what Dragonmack said.

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

As a new reader, I'd just like to say how much I've been enjoying reading this dynasty. KUTGW.

Card for NYCW Summer in the City:

Flash should continue to reign over the championship.

I'm gonna go draw with this one.

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

Because it's Whistler... He's the balls.

If you make the wife lose, you'll never hear the end of it. Tamara McFly for enventual Empire Champion...

I've noticed how much your behind Natural Storm, but I just don't see Eddie going over Datsun.

Just because JJ's on his way to the title.

Thanks to all of y'all who've posted predictions, and welcome to QFresh who joins us this month, modelling the funk new pic for the Toronto Terror. Just to remind everyone that the show will be going up tomorrow rather than Sunday, due to me having a busy weekend. Follow-up will still be going up Monday, though.

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE Steve Flash vs. Fumihiro Ota

FOR THE TRI-STATE REGIONAL TITLE Ford Gumble vs. Honest Frank

Draw

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

FOR THE NYCW WOMEN’S TITLE Tamara McFly vs. Emma Bitch

NYCW Summer in the City

Saturday, Week 4, August

Live to DVD from The Ministry

Audience: 1,000 (SOLD OUT!)

Pre-Show/DVD Extras

Cameron Vessey vs. Animal Harker

I’ve devised a new test for my top workers; it’s called the Harker Test. It basically goes something like this- if you can get a better-than-awful match out of Animal Harker then you deserve to hold the Empire title. This was a comparatively great match, with Vessey covering for Harker’s weaknesses by simply not letting him get any offence in. This worked surprisingly well- for all Harker’s weaknesses his selling isn’t actually that bad- and the inevitable Vessey Driver got a good reaction, though that might just be because nobody likes Harker at all.

Winner: Cameron Vessey Match Rating: D

The Show

“It’s Saturday Night at the Ministry, which means it’s time for another exciting NYCW Show! Fans, I’m Rock Downpour and it’s time for NYCW Summer in the City!”

“Y’know, Rock, has anyone ever told you that you’re kind of embarrassing?”

“Says the man with pipe-cleaners for arms. Fans, we’ve got an amazing card for you tonight- the NYCW Frontline is in action as Whistler takes on Lee Wright, Ford Gumble defends the Tri-State Regional title against Honest Frank, and Freddie Datsun takes on one half of the Tag Team Champions, ‘The Giant’ Eddie Howard. And in our main event this evening, Steve Flash defends the Empire Title for the first time against The Super Ninja Fumihiro Ota!”

“Steve won the title last month by defeating Black Hat Bailey. And you know what? I’m gonna say it, Steve was the better man there. Not that it’s saying much- Bailey was on the way out, and yeah on any other day he’d have left Steve in the dust but when you’re about to retire then you’re going to be a bit distracted. Tonight, though, Ota is going to make Steve’s reign the shortest in NYCW history”

“Don’t forget, though, that the last time these two men met Steve was the victor. Ota’s good, but that’s a major mental disadvantage to come into a match with”

“You’re assuming that Ota thinks like a normal man. Newsflash Rock, he’s a ninja, they don’t feel fear or pain or whatever. And it’s worth pointing out that now Ota will have Steve’s number- watch for the forearms and dropkicks, don’t try and out-wrestle him and stay clear of the Flash Bang”

“But the whole threat of the Flash Bang is that it can connect at a moment’s notice- Ota’s an excellent wrestler but it’s hard to block a move that can come at almost any time”

“Hard, maybe, but not impossible- and if anyone can block the Flash Bang Ota can. And don’t forget the Ninja Strike- you talk about big moves that you can hit quickly you’ve got to mention that.”

“Well grappling fans, there you have it- two great wrestlers, two dangerous moves. Now let’s get down to ringside and get this show on the road!”

I’d hoped the popularity of tonight’s main event would lift the rating on this hype video a bit, but sadly that wasn’t the case.

Rating: D-

This was a good match, and probably should’ve gone in the opening slot instead of the hype angle. Eddie’s a pretty decent big man, and Freddie’s been playing the battling babyface ever since he first went to USPW, so this was the kind of straight-ahead storyline that NYCW fans really go for. We also threw in some interference to keep the tag storyline going, when DC Rayne attack Freddie, only for Dean Waldorf to come out and hit a big release German Suplex on Eddie to even the odds. In the end Freddie got the win, nailing Eddie with a Crucifix Pin for the 1-2-3.

Winner: Freddie Datsun Match Rating: C

No sooner has the match ended than Cameron Vessey and Old School Principals hit the ring, laying an almight beatdown on Freddie. However, it’s only seconds before the rest of the Frontline come charging out of the back, making the save. The pop for this wasn’t great, but it was no worse than 90% of our angles.

Emma Bitch vs. Tamara McFly

Okay, maybe I panicked a bit early about the women’s division. Yes, Emma was clearly a bit out of it, but even high she can coast by on star quality and charisma. As for Tammy, well, she’s always good, and tonight was no different. If there was a problem with her work tonight, it’s that Emma wasn’t selling Tammy’s offence particularly well, although she’s still young and can probably improve pretty quickly. Tammy got the win here, putting Emma on the mat with the McFly Roll.

Winner: Tamara McFly Match Rating: D+

Backstage at the Interview Position Whistler’s on hype duty for his match

“LEE! Tonight, I’m taking first blood for the Frontline! I’m gonna pummel you, I’m gonna nail the Rebel Yell, and I’m going to leave you lying on that canvas wondering what just hit you! And I’ll tell you what just hit you: The Frontline, Daddy! HOOOOOOOO!!!!!”

Whistler’s long series of losses have rather impacted on his popularity, so this didn’t get the ratings it could have.

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

It says something about the quality of these two guys that even when they’re both on an off day this was still a pretty good match. Admittedly Whistler’s off days are rather insignificant since he’s more about charisma than workrate, but Lee’s a really good worker, even if he’s showing every single one of his 50-odd years when he wrestles. In the end Whistler got the win here, nailing the Rebel Yell to score the victory.

Winner: Whistler Match Rating: D+

As always with Jared, this was a good match, although credit should probably go to Sammy as well. Both of these guys are promising young guys, and whilst JJ is definitely going to be a big star one day Sammy needs to be kept strong so we can continue to keep him in the midcard for as long as possible. With that in mind I had this one go to a double disqualification after Jared brought a chair into the ring, only to be countered by Sammy swinging a golf club like Nick Faldo on a bad day.

Winner: None Match Rating: D+

Back at the Interview Position, Ford’s on hype duty for his match against Frank

“Frank you ain’t Old School- just an *******. So, tonight, I’m just gonna kick your @ss”

Another promo, more VFM from Ford.

Rating: D+

Okay, so Ford’s not a great top-line wrestler, but these days he’s here as much for his promos as his wrestling, and it’s not like he’s a disaster in the Squared Circle anyway. As for Frank, he’s an entertaining talker, a solid worker and a died-in-the-wool cheat, so any match from him is guaranteed to be entertaining. This was no different, as Frank used every dirty trick in the book (which he wrote, and is currently taking up three floors of the Smithsonian) whilst Ford settled for simply trying to beat him up. It didn’t work, though, as Frank beaned him between the eyes with brass knuckles before getting a pinfall with a handful of tights and his feet on the ropes to score the victory (not that he’ll hold the title, but we needed dirty play to justify holding it up again next month)

Winner: Honest Frank Match Rating: D+

When in doubt, put two good workers in a storyline and let them at it. Admittedly this is pretty much a stopgap story until I can think of way to resolve Cameron/Ford, but on the basis of tonight’s match there’s no real rush. This was a good match, number 5 on our top 10, and whilst it didn’t really reach the standards of our greatest matches it was still more than acceptable. It helped that Ota and Flash kept things strictly technical- our fans tend to have a long-lasting love of well-executed technical wrestling, and given that these two are masters of technical wrestling there was a lot to like here, alongside the usual forearms and dropkicks from Steve and Ota’s chops. In the end this one went to Flash, who nailed the Flash Bang for the victory.

Winner: Steve Flash Match Rating: C

Overall Rating: C-, a good rating reflective of a pretty good show.

I’ve devised a new test for my top workers; it’s called the Harker Test. It basically goes something like this- if you can get a better-than-awful match out of Animal Harker then you deserve to hold the Empire title.

I have to try this in my NYCW game, I am in 2014 and the guy still has not improved at all. In fact everytime his contract comes up I keep on saying I will fire him and I never end up doing so.

I have to try this in my NYCW game, I am in 2014 and the guy still has not improved at all. In fact everytime his contract comes up I keep on saying I will fire him and I never end up doing so.

It is difficult to get ride of Harker- you keep thinking he has to get better, but he never does. I ended up canning him in early 2011, and ended up paying Lee Wright loads of money to get over it.

Anyway, Another show in the bank and let's see how the predictions broke down this month:

Regis: 3/6

KingOfKings: 3/6, coincidentally having made the same predictions as Regis

Dragonmack: 4/6

BHK1978: 4/6

QFresh: 4/6

So, it's a three way tie between the dynasty writers (all of which I'd advocate reading...QFresh in particular is doing something really different). So, all three guys can claim as prizes 'NYCW: The Very Best of Black Hat Bailey' featuring an exclusive interview with the former Empire Champion, plus eight of his very best NYCW matches.

Moving on, the next post will be Wednesday as usual, with the show once again going up Saturday due to a busy Sunday.

Being back in Canada was, Hugh reflected, rather a mixed blessing. On the one hand, it was good to finally be back in Tim Hortons country (he’d had something like four coffees and counting in the twenty four hours since they crossed the border), and Tammy was clearly happy to see her nephew again, which was definitely a plus in Hugh’s book. On the other hand, he knew that sooner or later Vicky was going to try and talk him into retiring again, and he didn’t have the energy to tell her where she could stick it.

Sure enough, as the afternoon of Roger’s birthday party rolled around Vicky made a beeline straight for Hugh, who had fortunately loaded up on Coffee before hand (two cups at the hotel, plus three at Tim Hortons and another one on takeaway) and was therefore in a fairly decent mood.

“So Hugh, Tammy tells me that you’re running the book at NYCW now.”

“Yeah, have been since January. So retirement? Not happening even more so than it’s usually not happening, Vicky, so drop it”

“God, Hugh, do you ever relax? Actually, I’ve seen how much coffee you drink so don’t bother answering that. And look, I know I go on at you about retiring, but I’ve got your best interests at heart okay? You’ve got a great legacy at North of the Border, and before this year I’d have said you hadn’t done anything except cheapen that. I mean, you didn’t exactly cover yourself in glory at CGC, did you? And as for HGC and USPW, well, do you really want me to talk about it?”

“Not really, no. And what do you mean ‘before this year’?”

“Oh come on, Hugh, you think I don’t pay attention to what my best friend gets up to? I’ve seen what you’re doing with NYCW, and it’s good stuff. Not fantastic, mind you, but more than good enough. Heard you made regional last month, as well: that’s more movement than NYCW’s seen in well over a decade. Keep that up and I’ll stop nagging you about your legacy. Oh, and I like what you’ve done with the women’s division”

“Figures you’d be into that, even if I prefer to think of it as the Tamara McFly Championship division.”

Victoria laughed uproariously at that, if you could call anything a stick like her did ‘uproarious’

“Man, you just never change, do you Hugh? Nepotism’s not just something you do, it’s something you actually enjoy

“Says the woman who booked her brothers and husband as the three top contenders to the Canadian Title”

“Oh, and you wouldn’t?”

“Of course I would Vicky, I’m an @sshole. I’d probably rub people’s faces in it too, just so they knew I didn’t give a d@mn what they thought. But hey, that’s why you’re one of the most respected women in wrestling and I’m known as the Halifax Hobgoblin”

“You’ve got to admit, it suits you”

The pair broke off at that point to watch Tammy spoiling her nephew some more.

“I ah…I heard about Jeremy taking over at North of the Border”

“Oh, that. To tell you the truth, I hadn’t even thought about it since he took over. It’s just a business thing, after all”

“Just a business thing? Vicky, he stole your d@mn company out from under your nose. Everyone knows that you were supposed to take over after Dan retired, and then Jeremy just comes in and takes over. You knows he’s appointed Farrah Hesketh as booker? I mean, Farrah’s okay I guess, but she adds whole new levels of meaning to the word 'sheep'. I mean, what the hell is he thinking?”

“You know, Hugh, there’s more to life than wrestling. You want to know why I kept nagging you to retire? It wasn’t just your legacy; it was the whole family thing. You’ve been married for what? Seven, eight years? And you’re still spending all your time on the business, because after things went south with that b*tch Nicole wrestling had become all you really cared about. You want to know why I didn’t take over when Dad retired? Because I decided that Lucy and Roger came first. What comes first for you, Hugh? Tammy, or the company?

“You might want to think about that, Hugh. ‘Cos you’re not going to be able to give Tamara that belt forever, and sooner or later you’re going to have to choose”

With that, Vicky was gone, picking up Roger to take him off to bed. Hugh, meanwhile, was left with the worrying feeling that Vicky had, as she so often did, hit rather closer to home than he liked.

Still, he’d always had a knack for ignoring good advice.

Card for NYCW Back in the New York Groove:

Steve Flash vs. Cameron Vessey

BRONX DEATH MATCH

Whistler vs. Honest Frank

THE FRONTLINE VS. THE OLD SCHOOL

Freddie Datsun vs. Lee Wright

FATAL FOUR-WAY FOR THE TRI-STATE REGIONAL TITLE

Jesse Christian vs. Jared Johnson vs. Sammy the Shark vs. Rick Sanders

Tamara McFly & Katherine Goodlooks vs. Connie Morris

Ford Gumble vs. Ant-Man

Vessey isnt at Flash's level for a long time

BRONX DEATH MATCH

Frank makes the better next challenger for Flash

Datsun has more value than Wright

While I could see Jared Johnson winning, I think Christian offers more short term value

two on one, and one of the two is the booker's wife, easy call

Ford Gumble vs. Ant-Man

Despite his flab, I see gumble as having more value

BRONX DEATH MATCH

Tamara McFly vs. Katherine Goodlooks vs. Connie Morris

Ford Gumble vs. Ant-Man

BRONX DEATH MATCH

Ford Gumble vs. Ant-Man

Card for NYCW Back in the New York Groove:

BRONX DEATH MATCH

Ford Gumble vs. Ant-Man

One day, but not yet, I think.

BRONX DEATH MATCH

More likely to cheat, less likely to retire.

Once again, less likely to retire.

The best combination of age, skills and push.

Tamara McFly vs. Katherine Goodlooks vs. Connie Morris

Edited to give the booker's wife the push.

Ford Gumble vs. Ant-Man

JOBBER!

Just realised there's a typo- the women's title match is triple threat, not handicap. It should be Tamara McFly vs. Katherine Goodlooks, not &.

That said, we all know who's going to win that one, so I'll assume unless otherwise stated that you picked the champ to retain

NYCW Back in the New York Groove

Saturday, Week 4, September

Live to DVD from The Ministry

Audience: 1,000 (SOLD OUT!)

Pre-Show/DVD Extras

Amber Allen vs. Gorgon

Amber’s probably the big future prospect for the women’s division, so I gave her a run out against Gorgon, who apart from the chemistry issues is probably our top heel. The result was a good midcard match, nothing really special but up to the usual standard for our midcard matches. It’s also worth noting that Amber sharpened up her performance skills before eating the loss, going down to the Hydra Bomb (Crucifix Powerbomb).

Winner: Gorgon Match Rating: D+

The Show

At 10 minutes this was probably a bit short for two of our bigger stars, but this was still a decent match. As is so often the case for our big matches, this was pretty much a straight-up brawl, with Freddie and Lee pummelling each other from pillar to post before Freddie got the win with the Patriot Press. A couple of other things to note about this one: Lee’s physical condition is definitely on the down-turn, which is probably not surprising given that he’s the wrong side of 50, but he covered for that with a really impressive effort. Sure, he’s on the way out, but it’s clear that he’ll go out swinging.

Winner: Freddie Datsun Match Rating: C-

Ford Gumble vs. Ant-Man

I’m growing increasingly uncertain about Ford’s future with the company. For one thing, when we renewed his contract this month he once again demanded a midcard title run, which is once again a pain in the @ss, and he never seems to put in much effort, as this match showed. Okay, so this was a squash, and Ant-Man’s definitely not the finished article, but I was hoping for something a bit better from these two. In the end Ford finished this one at the six-minute mark with the Savate Kick.

Winner: Ford Gumble Match Rating: D

For the first time tonight we’re at the NYCW Interview Position, where Cameron’s on hype duty for the main event

“Tonight, the future becomes the present. When I get in that ring with Steve Flash and win the Empire Title, you will see that the future of The Old School has become the Crown Jewel of New York City Wrestling. Steve, I’d like to say it’s nothing personal, but I actually hate your guts so it really is. You mess with me, Flash, and I will break your back and leave you crippled and begging on the streets like the trash you are. And you know what? I’m gonna love that.”

Cameron’s really coming together as a talker, and his persona is starting to develop- I’m starting to see him as a ****y young kid with a genuinely nasty side.

Rating: C-

We cross-fade to another interview, this time with Whistler

“Tonight, me and Frank are gonna settle this thing once and for all! In a Bronx Death Match, the only way you can win is to beat your opponent so much he stays down for a 10 count, and tonight Frank I’m gonna stomp a mudhole and walk it dry! HOOOOOO!!!!!!”

Whistler’s promos are still decent enough, but he just can’t get the reaction that he was getting at the start of the year.

Rating: D

This was a better match than I’d expected, although maybe that’s unsurprising given how good these four are. There were problems of course- Sammy’s starting to develop an attitude problem backstage, and whilst they’re both still pretty good neither Jesse or Rick are getting any younger- but for the most part things worked pretty well tonight. As to the finish, it basically came down to who’s got a guaranteed title run in their contract- a clause I really hate, by the way, as it’s always guys I’d never give the title to otherwise who ask for it- so Jesse took this one, slapping the Human Torture Rack on Rick whilst Sammy and JJ brawled at ringside.

Winner: Jesse Christian Match Rating: C-

Back at the Interview Position, Emma Bitch and Connie Morris are on hype duty for their match

“Tamara McFly, you aren’t even on my level. I got the style, I got the moves, I got the sweet 420 million in my bank account. And what do you got? Nothin’, that’s what you got. Oh, I suppose there’s the women’s title, but any time I like I can take that off you just like that. And tonight, when me and the Missouri Monster Connie Morris take you and that bimbo nothin’ Kathy Goodlooks on, we’re just gonna ride straight through you. ‘Cos it’s time for Payback, and you know what they say: Payback is a bitch- and I’m the Bitch”

Emma’s a good talker, but was hampered somewhat by Connie- I had her playing the silent menace because she talks like Steve Flash, but unfortunately she’s not especially menacing either.

Emma Bitch & Connie Morris vs. Tamara McFly & Katherine Goodlooks

Well d@mn. I’d expected this one to be a decent match, but what we actually got was a fantastic tag match, just outside the top 10 in terms of quality. Admittedly these are all talented individuals, with Tammy and Connie in particular standing out (Connie for her amazing fundamentals, Tammy ‘cos she’s just always good). Emma, meanwhile, was as stoned as always, but was also as talented as always, and whilst she sells like a block of wood trapped in an ice cube she can throw a good punch and has a lot of charisma. In the end this one went to the heels, when Emma nailed Tammy with The Payback (Diving Reverse DDT) before tagging in Connie to score the pin (don’t ask me why, I don’t know what goes on in Emma’s head).

Winners: Emma Bitch & Connie Morris Match Rating: C-

Once again we’re back at the NYCW Interview Position, where Honest Frank is on hype duty for his match

“Tonight, I’m in a Bronx Death Match, against Whistler. Now, I know what you’re all thinking. You’re thinking ‘what chance does this yuppie have against a guy like Whistler?’ You’re thinking that a guy like Whistler, a real fist-fighter from down south, is going to beat the uptown boy like the little tool you all think I am

“Well, there’s one thing you’ve forgotten. I didn’t get started in the SWF or HGC or one of those sissy boy companies, I started out in the Xtreme Federation of Wrestling, where we would feast on pain and dine on death. When I came into wrestling I carried barbed wire in one hand and a burning chair in the other. And when the XFW closed and I went to DaVE, I was so nasty that they couldn’t hold me. Tell me this, Whistler, if DaVE couldn’t stop me do you really think you can? ‘Cos Brother, I am about to unlease a sh*tstorm you do NOT wanna be a part of!”

The reaction to this was as good as ever, and this gave Frank a chance to unleash a side of him we don’t often see these days. I don’t think it’ll be a constant thing, but it does people good to remember that Frank actually got started as kind of a psycho.

Rating: D+

Honest Frank vs. Whistler

The final blow-off to the Whistler/Frank feud went pretty much as all the other matches had- good, but not great. I’m not sure what the problem was- the whole point of the Bronx Death Match was that it played to both of their strengths and should have lifted the rating, but for some reason that didn’t really work tonight. Having said that, an okay match is still good enough, and this was definitely okay: Whistler’s not much of a worker anymore but he’s a decent brawler, and Frank’s managed to turn into a viable main eventer without me noticing. He really proved that tonight, beating Whistler from pillar to post before getting the win with a Painful Truth (Stinger Splash) onto the ringside barrier.

Winner: Honest Frank Match Rating: D+

Sure enough, Queen’s ‘Flash Gordon’s Theme’ brings out Steve Flash, ready for his match with Cameron Vessey. The next theme to play, though, is Nobou Uematsu’s Liberi Fatali, signalling the arrival of Fumihiro Ota at ringside. Rather than interfere, though, he simply sits down on the announce desk, apparently to watch the match. For once, this actually got a decent reaction: evidently the Flash/Ota feud’s doing better business than I’d thought.

Rating: D

I was a little wary of booking this one, as everyone knows Cameron’s Steve’s most likely next feud, but I justified it on the grounds that Ota and Flash can run a while longer and we need to know in advance if this one can work. Sure enough it was a good match, the first to enter the top 10 since June, and that’s with the huge amount of interference I threw in to fudge the ending. Since I wanted to leave the option of a feud open later, this one went to a Double DQ ending after Old School Principals and Lee Wright interfered, bringing out Freddie and Ford Gumble to even the odds.

Winner: None Match Ending: C

Overall Rating: C-, maintaining our run of good shows.

Mis-advertising! Women's match was supposed to be a triple threat! I'd have got it wrong anyway, but damn you, man, give me a chance to be wrong about the right match!

Also, 420 million? Damn it, Emma, you aren't even trying any more, are you?

Mis-advertising! Women's match was supposed to be a triple threat! I'd have got it wrong anyway, but damn you, man, give me a chance to be wrong about the right match!

Also, 420 million? Damn it, Emma, you aren't even trying any more, are you?

Sorry about that- I got mixed up between this show and a later one- I'll try to avoid that in future.

Follow-up will happen tomorrow, folks, I'm really busy today (plus I've just got up to Ernest Youngman's debut in-game).

Right then, folks, time for the follow-up. In the interests of fairness over the women's match mix-up, any vote for a participant is counted as a vote for that participant's team.

Dragonmack: 5/6

Clp605: 4/6

BHK1978: 4/6

QFresh: 3/6, probably due to lack of updates on your awesome dynasty man

Regis: 5/6

So, D-Mack and Regis both win this week, and as a reward get to ask an exclusive question to the booker of NYCW, Hugh Dansigny, to appear in our interview with him due to go up on Wednesday.

OK, for my question...

" Mr Dansigny, it seems that Cameron Vessey has gotten a significant push since coming to NYCW, perhaps more than someone of his limited experience deserves. How much of that is due to the backstage influence of one Larry Vessey?"

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="27892" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:24px;"><strong>Buddy Rogers’ New York Minute</strong></span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> We’re mixing it up a little bit this month, with a very special interview. Now, I know normally these go out through TEW.com’s main page, but I thought I’d flag it up here as it’s really interesting to NYCW fans. That’s right folks, almost three years after the last time he appeared on this site it’s my pleasure to welcome The Halifax Hobgoblin Hugh Dansigny to Radio Free Wrestling! </p><p> </p><p> Audio files are, as always, available to download from our home page: included here is the transcript.</p><p> </p><p> ***</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">TEW:</span></strong><strong> Well, Hugh, I guess the first thing to say is, welcome back to the site and it’s a pleasure to once again be talking to you</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> It’s good to be back man, always a pleasure to get the word out there.</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">TEW:</span></strong><strong> Now, we’ve covered a lot of your career in our previous interviews, so tonight we’re really focussing on your reign as booker. Starting at the obvious place, how did you come to take over?</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> I guess it was Christmas of ’09, I was asked to take over by Stomper and Bo Bailey, who was running the book at that point. </p><p> </p><p> <span style="color:#008000;"><strong>TEW:</strong></span><strong> Because you weren’t an in-ring competitor?</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> Yeah, basically. We have a few other guys who’ve been involved in the booking over the years- Frank, Steve and Mauler are all on the booking team- but I’m the only one who wasn’t an active wrestler at that point, and apparently that was the difference maker. They wanted someone who…not so much wouldn’t have an agenda or whatever, because all of our booking team are better than that, but who would have a different perspective on what was going on. When a wrestler books it’s difficult for them to be aware of everything that’s going on backstage, they’ve got to focus on their match and on the ring, whereas I can run around backstage making sure everything’s going according to plan and everyone knows what they’re doing.</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">TEW:</span></strong><strong> What about rumours of tension between Stomper and Larry Vessey? It’s rumoured that you were put in charge to counter Larry’s influence</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> That’s absolutely not true. I’ll admit that me and Larry don't like each other much, but any idea that I was put in to deliberately oppose or undermine Larry is completely untrue. The only reason I came in was because I was asked, and because I was given the chance to introduce a women’s division.</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">TEW:</span></strong><strong> Of course, the NYCW women’s division is probably the most notable aspect of your booking regime. What motivated you to come up with that?</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> I’m sorry, but that’s just…that’s probably the dumbest question I’ve ever been asked. You have noticed that my wife is a wrestler, right? Of course I wanted to start a women’s division, it’s just what you do- you get a job, you start looking at how you can help your friends and family out.</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">TEW:</span></strong><strong> So it was mostly nepotism, then? A desire to give your wife a job, and given her current push, the title?</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> It was entirely nepotistic, of course it was. I know this isn’t a popular view on the internet, but to me, nepotism is one of the most inherent parts of the wrestling business. You hire your family, you give them the big slots, and when the big leagues come along there’s less chance of losing your champions. It’s just common sense. And, I’ll be absolutely honest here, I genuinely believe that Tammy is the best candidate for women’s champion we currently have. </p><p> </p><p> <span style="color:#008000;"><strong>TEW:</strong></span><strong> Now it’s time for some questions from fans on TEW.com’s forums- this one comes from Dragonmack: " Mr Dansigny, it seems that Cameron Vessey has gotten a significant push since coming to NYCW, perhaps more than someone of his limited experience deserves. How much of that is due to the backstage influence of one Larry Vessey?"</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> I’m just gonna say this, and you can quote me on it, I don’t give a rat’s @ss what Larry thinks of my booking. Cameron’s getting the push he’s getting because he’s worked hard to improve his craft and produced good matches against a variety of opponents. I’ll admit that his victory over Larry, and the improvement in his physical abilities after he ran the London Marathon back in April, have certainly helped speed that push up, but Cameron’s getting his push because I chose to give it to him, not because Larry wanted it. </p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">TEW:</span></strong><strong> Strong words there. Now this one from Regis: "Mr Dansigny, which talent currently working outside of the United States and Canada would you like to bring into NYCW, given the chance?"</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> That’s actually quite a difficult question- NYCW’s always been a very American promotion, and it’s not always easy to integrate Japanes Puroresu or Wigan-Style technical wrestling into that. But one guy I would love to use is a British guy named Merle O’Curle- he’s a fantastic submissions wrestler from Belfast who I honestly believe would get over like gangbusters with the New York crowd. There’s also a couple of tag teams in Australia that I like, The Duo and The Master Minds, that could be a good fit for NYCW </p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">TEW:</span></strong><strong> One final question now, as we’re just about out of time: what are your plans for NYCW going forward?</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#FF8C00;">Hugh:</span></strong> Plans for NYCW are…well, I don’t tend to hammer out concrete plans for us, you can’t really tell what’s going to be happening, who we’re gonna have two or three months for now. But right now we’re looking to ride the Flash/Ota feud through to at least the end of the year, and The Frontline-Old School issue is going to run as long as we can keep both groups going. Right now our biggest problem is simply age- we’ve already lost Bailey to retirement, and Whistler’s looking to head that way. We’re looking into replacements, so watch this space guys!</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#008000;">TEW:</span></strong><strong> Hugh Dansigny, thanks for your time</strong></p><p> </p><p> ---------------------------------------------------------------</p><p> </p><p> The card for NYCW’s next show, NYCW The Battle of Broadway, looks like this:</p><p> </p><p> FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE</p><p> Steve Flash vs. Honest Frank</p><p> </p><p> FRONTLINE VS. OLD SCHOOL- THE WAR CONTINUES</p><p> Freddie Datsun & Ford Gumble vs. Cameron Vessey & Lee Wright</p><p> </p><p> FOR THE NYCW TAG TEAM TITLES</p><p> Natural Storm vs. Southern Justice</p><p> </p><p> Whistler vs. The New York Doll</p><p> </p><p> FOR THE NYCW WOMEN’S TITLE</p><p> Tamara McFly vs. Connie Morris</p><p> </p><p> Marv Statler vs. Jared Johnson</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <em>Right folks, next show up Saturday. After that, though, I'm on Holiday for a week and won't be back 'til next Saturday. So follow-up will be on the next Monday after that, most likely, then back to usual schedule</em></p>

Archived