Official TV Show Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<p>Been watching a lot of shows lately. Every time I finish a couple I start a few more.</p><p> </p><p>

Finished watching Carnival Row, The Act, Trinkets, Good Omens, Counterpart S1, Umbrella Academy, Criminal (UK, Germany, Spain & France), Daredevil S3, Black Lightning S3, 13 Reasons Why S3, Derry Girls S2, Big Mouth S3, Inbetweeners S1-S3.</p><p> </p><p>

Currently watching Travelers S2, Sabrina S2, The Good Place, Always Sunny, Mr Robot, Handmaid's Tale S2, The Walking Dead and a bunch of crime documentaries on Netflix.</p><p> </p><p>

Probably a few more I've forgotten about.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="27929" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Been watching a lot of shows lately. Every time I finish a couple I start a few more.<p> </p><p> Finished watching Carnival Row, The Act, Trinkets, Good Omens, Counterpart S1, Umbrella Academy, Criminal (UK, Germany, Spain & France), Daredevil S3, Black Lightning S3, 13 Reasons Why S3, Derry Girls S2, Big Mouth S3, Inbetweeners S1-S3.</p><p> </p><p> Currently watching Travelers S2, Sabrina S2, The Good Place, Always Sunny, Mr Robot, Handmaid's Tale S2, The Walking Dead and a bunch of crime documentaries on Netflix.</p><p> </p><p> Probably a few more I've forgotten about.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I dropped Netflix a few days ago. I was not watching it that much and the price increase annoyed me. Therefore, I did not get to finish watching Criminal (UK) but that first episode was fantastic. David Tennant (his episode was the only one I watched) was fantastic as always.</p><p> </p><p> How do you feel about 13 Reason Why season three? I watched the first two episodes and dipped out. I found the show to be boring and lacking now that Katherine Langford was no longer on it. To me her character was the driving force of the show and without her the show just lacked something.</p>

I dropped Netflix a few days ago. I was not watching it that much and the price increase annoyed me. Therefore, I did not get to finish watching Criminal (UK) but that first episode was fantastic. David Tennant (his episode was the only one I watched) was fantastic as always.

How do you feel about 13 Reason Why season three? I watched the first two episodes and dipped out. I found the show to be boring and lacking now that Katherine Langford was no longer on it. To me her character was the driving force of the show and without her the show just lacked something.

I'm still enjoying the characters and season mystery, as well their handling of rape and abuse. They could do with trimming it down to 10 episodes, though. That was about the point I lost interest for a few days but it picked up again in the last few episodes. Some important events from previous seasons get paid off. The end of season 3 would actually make a good conclusion for the series except it's still popular so it will get at least 1 more season.

I've been super into The Wire lately. It's an HBO original, but a few years old now and it available streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

If you've never heard of it, It's a classic cop show set in Baltimore. Amazing cast. Idris Elba is so good. Just started Season 3 and was pleasantly surprised to see the guy who plays Littlefinger show up pre-GOT. Vladimir Kozlov showed up as some silent muscle! I think he did the show before he got into pro wrestling.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="RingRider" data-cite="RingRider" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="27929" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I've been super into The Wire lately. It's an HBO original, but a few years old now and it available streaming on Amazon Prime Video. <p> </p><p> If you've never heard of it, It's a classic cop show set in Baltimore. Amazing cast. Idris Elba is so good. Just started Season 3 and was pleasantly surprised to see the guy who plays Littlefinger show up pre-GOT. Vladimir Kozlov showed up as some silent muscle! I think he did the show before he got into pro wrestling.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It is so weird for me to see someone discover the Wire so many years later. I laughed a little at the Littlefinger sentence because when GOT initially came on the air I remember saying, "This show has Tommy Carcetti, the cranky guy from The Station Agent (Peter Dinklage) and Sarah Connor (Lena Headey)." To you he was Littlefinger on The Wire and to me he was Tommy Carcetti on GOT.</p><p> </p><p> When the Wire aired I did not know that Idris Elba was British. I was thrown through a loop when I read that he was British, mainly because his American accent is so spot on. I was so used to British actors doing terrible American accents (Peri from Dr. Who is a very good example of what I am talking about) that I did not think any of them capable of pulling off such a good American accent.</p><p> </p><p> Obviously I am not sure what shows you have watched but if you are into the Wire I have some I would recommend to you. Check out Homicide: Life on the Streets, it aired in the 1990's on NBC and it may come across as a little dated (I have not watched any episodes since they originally aired) but it was a great show and a lot of actors from it show up on The Wire. It was written and produced by David Simon who created the Wire.</p><p> </p><p> Also check out the Corner which was a mini-series that proceeded the Wire on HBO and it was also written by David Simon. This show focuses on drug use and how it impacts family. I am not one to get emotionally attached to characters but this one got me.</p><p> </p><p> Then there is David Simon's current HBO show The Deuce. This deals with some of the same elements that the Wire deals with. I am not sure how much I can talk about this show on here, I do not want to go against the TOS here. This show deals with NYC in the early 1970's up until the mid-1980's. More specifically Times Square back during that time, which was a hellhole back then.</p><p> </p><p> Lastly, I would say check out OZ if you have not already done so. Most people would say The Wire or Sopranos were the best dramas on HBO and it is hard to argue that. To me OZ was always my favorite. When it first came on the air there was nothing like it on television. It was almost a shock to the system. Granted now it will probably come across as dated because we are used to seeing this sort of stuff on television, but it was such a great show.</p><p> </p><p> Also, a lot of actors from OZ showed up on the Wire. Including Seth Gilliam who seems to show up on every television show I have watched in the past twenty years (OZ, Teen Wolf, Walking Dead, The Wire)</p>

<p>A few actors from The Wire were also in the mini series The Kill Point. Which is an excellent bank robbery/hostage series.</p><p> </p><p>

I’ve been watching American Housewife a lot lately, but I’m a sucker for cheesy sitcoms.</p><p> </p><p>

Just started Genndy Tartarovsky’s new series Primal. Super dark and violent</p>

I've been super into The Wire lately. It's an HBO original, but a few years old now and it available streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

If you've never heard of it, It's a classic cop show set in Baltimore. Amazing cast. Idris Elba is so good. Just started Season 3 and was pleasantly surprised to see the guy who plays Littlefinger show up pre-GOT. Vladimir Kozlov showed up as some silent muscle! I think he did the show before he got into pro wrestling.

Hmmm, this sounds interesting. Never heard about this show plus I like Idris Elba as an actor. Thank God in my Pattaya estate here I have HBO working again, I had some problems with if for the last days. Thank you for the tip, now I have a new show to watch.

Anyone else checking out Watchmen? I watched the first episode but haven't seen the second yet. Pretty good so far but I have a lot more questions than answers. That might not be a bad thing.

I haven't read the comic in like 10 years so trying to remember some of the finer details has been tricky. Hopefully it doesn't require all that much familiarity with the original source material.

It is so weird for me to see someone discover the Wire so many years later. I laughed a little at the Littlefinger sentence because when GOT initially came on the air I remember saying, "This show has Tommy Carcetti, the cranky guy from The Station Agent (Peter Dinklage) and Sarah Connor (Lena Headey)." To you he was Littlefinger on The Wire and to me he was Tommy Carcetti on GOT.

Not going to lie, upon initially watch GoT, I recognized Dinklage from Elf.

When the Wire aired I did not know that Idris Elba was British. I was thrown through a loop when I read that he was British, mainly because his American accent is so spot on. I was so used to British actors doing terrible American accents (Peri from Dr. Who is a very good example of what I am talking about) that I did not think any of them capable of pulling off such a good American accent.

He nails the accent beautifully. It reminds me of the urban legend of Hugh Laurie's casting on House. The story goes that after the audition the director/producer said "That's what I'm looking for! An American!"

Obviously I am not sure what shows you have watched but if you are into the Wire I have some I would recommend to you. Check out Homicide: Life on the Streets, it aired in the 1990's on NBC and it may come across as a little dated (I have not watched any episodes since they originally aired) but it was a great show and a lot of actors from it show up on The Wire. It was written and produced by David Simon who created the Wire.

Also check out the Corner which was a mini-series that proceeded the Wire on HBO and it was also written by David Simon. This show focuses on drug use and how it impacts family. I am not one to get emotionally attached to characters but this one got me.

Then there is David Simon's current HBO show The Deuce. This deals with some of the same elements that the Wire deals with. I am not sure how much I can talk about this show on here, I do not want to go against the TOS here. This show deals with NYC in the early 1970's up until the mid-1980's. More specifically Times Square back during that time, which was a hellhole back then.

Lastly, I would say check out OZ if you have not already done so. Most people would say The Wire or Sopranos were the best dramas on HBO and it is hard to argue that. To me OZ was always my favorite. When it first came on the air there was nothing like it on television. It was almost a shock to the system. Granted now it will probably come across as dated because we are used to seeing this sort of stuff on television, but it was such a great show.

Also, a lot of actors from OZ showed up on the Wire. Including Seth Gilliam who seems to show up on every television show I have watched in the past twenty years (OZ, Teen Wolf, Walking Dead, The Wire)

All of these are on my list to watch at some point. Particularly the Corner.

• 2 weeks later...
Currently watching: The Mandalorian, Counterpart S2, Rick & Morty S4, The End of the F*g World S2, Black Lightning S3 and His Dark Materials.

I like Black Lightning my only complaint is they sometimes play the background music too loud and it drowns out what the actors are saying. I have not really noticed it during this current season, but in previous seasons it was very noticeable. It got so bad that I started to watch it with the CC on because the was the only way I could understand what they were saying.

While I dig that Black Lightning's gonna be part of the Crisis crossover next month, I'm a bit apprehensive about that because BL has such a separation from the other shows and feels fairly "insular" compared to them, which do semi-frequently operate outside the scope of their core cities (Batwoman being in the previous crossover is why I include her in the latter rather than the former).

Like, just as a hypothetical, if Kasnia from Supergirl and Markovia from Black Lightning had just been merged to be the same country, that would've been an interesting thread to tie BL to at least Supergirl.

While I dig that Black Lightning's gonna be part of the Crisis crossover next month, I'm a bit apprehensive about that because BL has such a separation from the other shows and feels fairly "insular" compared to them, which do semi-frequently operate outside the scope of their core cities (Batwoman being in the previous crossover is why I include her in the latter rather than the former).

Like, just as a hypothetical, if Kasnia from Supergirl and Markovia from Black Lightning had just been merged to be the same country, that would've been an interesting thread to tie BL to at least Supergirl.

I could be wrong but I believe that, that is intentional. I think that BL and Supergirl are not in the same time stream (alternative earth's for lack of a better term) as Arrow and The Flash. I am not sure where LOT and Batwoman fit in. I would assume that LOT probably take place in the same universe as Arrow and Flash due to the Sarah connection. I have never watched Batwoman so I have no idea if her earth is different.

Yeah...first episode of Mandalorian was great. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. I have to admit that I have a soft spot for Jon Favreau stuff.

Any one else watching Watchmen? How about Wu Tang: An American Saga on Hulu?

I fell asleep while watching the first episode of the Watchmen and have not watched any of it yet. I am iffy about watching it though because from what I have heard it has a lot of far-left talking points in it and that is not something I want to see. I hate shows that try to preach a political agenda on either side of the coin. Like Jasin said, I might give it a shot when the season is over so I can judge for myself.

I’ll probably check Watchmen out when the season is over.

Probably going to check out NOS4A2 after I finish Castle Rock. Anyone see either of those?

Also got Disney+, so probably going to watch Gargoyles and the 90s Marvel cartoons.

NOS4A2 was hit and miss with me. There were some great episodes and some dull ones. Overall I would say it was decent. I was shocked that the lead was not American (I can't remember if she is English or Australian) because she nailed the New England accent (I live in New England, in fact the show was filmed in my state.).

I fell asleep while watching the first episode of the Watchmen and have not watched any of it yet. I am iffy about watching it though because from what I have heard it has a lot of far-left talking points in it and that is not something I want to see. I hate shows that try to preach a political agenda on either side of the coin. Like Jasin said, I might give it a shot when the season is over so I can judge for myself.

You do know that Watchman itself was a leftist book, right? Alan Moore is an anarcho-communist who wrote Watchman to critique the Reagan administration the same way V for Vendetta was written to critique the Thatcher administration.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BHK1978" data-cite="BHK1978" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="27929" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I could be wrong but I believe that, that is intentional. I think that BL and Supergirl are not in the same time stream (alternative earth's for lack of a better term) as Arrow and The Flash. I am not sure where LOT and Batwoman fit in. I would assume that LOT probably take place in the same universe as Arrow and Flash due to the Sarah connection. I have never watched Batwoman so I have no idea if her earth is different.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> They're alternate Earths. Arrow, Flash and LOT all take place on Earth-1, while Supergirl is on Earth-38. Batwoman is either 1 or 38 (I'm not sure which). As for BL, nobody knows what Earth they're on yet.</p>

Batwoman (and by extension the missing Batman) is Earth-1, first established in her Elsewords appearance last year. Many of the other Earths have already been destroyed in the lead-up to Crisis.

There's a possibility they all get merged during Crisis but I'd prefer Supergirl (and the future Superman show) and BL stay separate as it gives them more leeway with their world building.