Official TV Show Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

<p>I enjoyed Final Space. The first season more than the second. The first season's framing device gave it a good tone, I thought.</p><p> </p><p>

Haven't seen Brickleberry, but enjoyed Paradise PD with mostly the same cast/creators. I dug it. Some fun cartoons out there to burn through in a few days and never really think about again.</p>

I enjoyed Final Space. The first season more than the second. The first season's framing device gave it a good tone, I thought.

Haven't seen Brickleberry, but enjoyed Paradise PD with mostly the same cast/creators. I dug it. Some fun cartoons out there to burn through in a few days and never really think about again.

I also enjoyed season one more than season two, but season two hit me on an emotional level quite a few times so I still loved it. It's a genuinely good sci fi adventure series. I'll definitely be watching season three whenever it comes out.

Just realized I never finished Mythic Question: Raven's Banquet so gonna try to knock that out.

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Recently finished the new Netflix show Hoops. It was so funny I ended up watching the whole thing in one sitting. Can't wait for another season.</p><p> </p><p>

Finally watching Harley Quinn. Only a few episodes in, but I love that they went with vulgar and violent content. The voice cast is super entertaining. </p><p> </p><p>

Bane's voice being a parody of Dark Knight Rises Bane is cracking me up.</p>

I used to watch The Walking Dead on AMC every week, and I don't remember why but I stopped watching it, so I said screw it and just started over on Netflix, there is a scene where a guy who was with the main group in season one comes back in season eight, and if I kept up the weekly viewing rather then the binge watching I would've been really lost and had no idea who that guy was or what was going on.

The Walking Dead is definitely better when you binge it. I'm almost done with it, any suggestions on what I should watch next?

I just finished watching the first two seasons of Cobra Kai on Netflix, and very much enjoyed that. I always loved the Karate Kid movies as a kid, especially the first one, (Mr. Miyagi is one of my all time favorite characters), and I was more than happy to revisit that universe from a new perspective.

I always wanted to watch the show, but it wasn't until it came over to Netflix that I really had the chance.

Without spoiling anyone, there were certain aspects that I thought may have been a little over the top... I imagine you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it... but all in all, I really loved the show, and I can't wait for Season 3.

It's a heck of an emotional thrill ride, in my humble opinion.

I used to watch The Walking Dead on AMC every week, and I don't remember why but I stopped watching it, so I said screw it and just started over on Netflix, there is a scene where a guy who was with the main group in season one comes back in season eight, and if I kept up the weekly viewing rather then the binge watching I would've been really lost and had no idea who that guy was or what was going on.

The Walking Dead is definitely better when you binge it. I'm almost done with it, any suggestions on what I should watch next?

It really depends on what you like. I would say Fear of the Walking Dead is worth the watch, if you like the original. There are things done on FOTWD that make it the better show at times.

Pluto has a dedicated Survivor, The Amazing Race, Dark Shadows, and Dr. Who channels. I might never stop watching Pluto.

The only problem with the Dr. Who channel is, it is always Tom Baker episodes. Yes they do show other original Doctors but it is not as frequent as Tom Baker.

I can understand why because he is the most popular of the original Doctors (I was going to call him the 4th Doctor but the way the new show screwed everything up and made it an unwatchable SJW mess, who know what number he is now). But come on does it really need to be the 24/7 Tom Baker channel?

I understand that most of the first two Doctors episodes are lost, but I think from Pertwee onwards they should have every episode available. It would be nice to see some McCoy era stuff or any of the other original Doctors for that matter.

• 3 weeks later...

The Radio Times polled 50,000 people to determine who the best Dr. Who of all-time is. Here are the results...

1 - David Tennant 10518 / 21%

2 - Jodie Whittaker 10423 / 21%

3 - Peter Capaldi 8897 / 18%

4 - Matt Smith 7637 / 16%

5 - Tom Baker 3977 / 8%

6 - William Hartnell 1983 / 4%

7 - Paul McGann 1427 / 3%

8 - Christopher Eccleston 1144 / 2%

9 - Jon Pertwee 1038 / 2%

10 - Patrick Troughton 915 / 2%

11 - Sylvester McCoy 462 / 1%

12 - Colin Baker 359 / 1%

13 - Peter Davison 351 / 1%

This has to be recency bias, there is no other way to explain the top five. I like David Tennat and Matt Smith just fine and maybe a case could be made for them being ranked as high as they are. But nobody can convince me that Jodie Whittaker or Peter Capaldi should rank that high. Jodie's episodes are bleeding viewers and I never felt like anyone held Peter in high regard. Or at least in high enough regard to rank him as high as he was ranked.

Also, Peter Davison being last? The hell? Colin Baker being last or next to last I can get on board with, but nobody could convince me that Peter Davsion deserves to be that low.

I would also say William Hartnell is ranked too high on this list as well. Sure for nostalgic purposes it is good to see him up there, but the episodes that did survive to the mordern day are not very good from a production standpoint (It was the 1960's, so of course that would be the case) and even from a storytelling standpoint. The pacing of some of those episodes were terrible.

How is Paul McGann ranked seventh? He was only in one movie and two short films. Is he ranked so high purely because of the books?

My list would be:

1. Tom Baker-He is not my personal favorite but I would say his shows were some of the best written shows. Genesis of the Daleks is probably my favorite serial of all-time for Dr. Who.

2. Jon Pertwee

3. David Tennant

4. Christopher Eccleston- I know he was only there for one series but I really do not recall one dud out of any of his episodes.

5. Peter Davison

6. Matt Smith

7. Sylvester McCoy

8. Patrick Troughton- My personal favorite Doctor. But he is like William, where the writing was not great for a lot of his episodes. Or at least the ones that I watched. I mean there are parts I loved about his final serial War Games, but it did drag on forever.

9. William Hartnell

10. Peter Capaldi- I liked him just fine as the Doctor but he had some major duds when it came to stories. Also, I hated when he always played the guitar, I am not sure why it annoyed me so much but it did.

11. Colin Baker

12. Paul McGann- He's last only because I personally do not have much to go on. I did not read any of the other media about his Doctor. The TV movie they made was not very good, though the two short movies (I think it was two, though I could be wrong) were pretty good.

I did not rank Jodie Whittaker because I have never watched anything with her as the Doctor. From what I have read, it would seem I made a wise decision. I personally do not like the agenda that BBC is trying to put forth with her casting and the way they are writing her epsidoes. The funny thing is I really liked her and her character on Broadchurch.

I am mostly ignorant of Dr Who as I've only seen the Christopher Eccleston series, but I loved him so much I couldn't continue on. I tried, but he had a certain magnetism that I loved. When I restart my HBO Max subscription in a few weeks I'll be starting Dr Who from his series and hopefully watching past it.

I have the same problem with Game of Thrones. Ned was the only real likable character in season one and they killed him off. I couldn't continue past season one because of it. I'll rectify that some day.

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Oh man I have a new obsession! It's a Netflix original called Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts and it's absolutely amazing. Great animation, vivid colors, and the voice cast is stellar. I watched over half of season one today. </p><p> </p><p>

Speaking of the voice cast, Gza from Wu Tang does one of the voices and I popped pretty big for that.</p>

• 1 month later...

As a true child of the 90s, and a certified lover of nostalgia, I checked out the new Saved By The Bell on Peacock, (yes, I've got that one as well. It's got SeasQuest AND ExoSquad among its list of shows, not to mention ALL 419 seasons of Saturday Night Live... my hands were tied).

I was kind of expecting bad, but I thought it was pretty good actually. Not sure if it matches up with the original, but it was a solid effort nonetheless.

Wait, Peacock has ExoSquad!? I may have to sign up just to watch that and then cancel.

Yeah, Peacock has ExoSquad in its entirety. Very glad to see I'm not the only one that remembers that show. Sad they only ever released the first season on DVD. FTR, that MIGHT be on the free version. You have to upgrade to the premium version to get all the new stuff or most of their main things like SNL, but ExoSquad MIGHT be available on the free version, not sure.

As a true child of the 90s, and a certified lover of nostalgia, I checked out the new Saved By The Bell on Peacock, (yes, I've got that one as well. It's got SeasQuest AND ExoSquad among its list of shows, not to mention ALL 419 seasons of Saturday Night Live... my hands were tied).

I was kind of expecting bad, but I thought it was pretty good actually. Not sure if it matches up with the original, but it was a solid effort nonetheless.

Do they have that one season of SNL when everyone was fired with the exception of Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo?

Man SNL is so terrible now. I understand that it goes in cycles and I have not watched this year. But every time I would watch last year, it seemed like every joke would just fall flat. The only time the show was half-way decent was when Eddie Murphy was brought back to host because he's Eddie Murphy.

The same thing goes with Late Night talk shows. All it is, is Trump this, Trump that. It might have been somewhat funny at first but when every monologue they do is about Trump and half the time they are not telling jokes they are just lecturing us about how bad he is, it just gets old and I am not even a Trump supporter.

I am not sure what Stephen Colbert is going to do now that he has to try and be funny again. Jimmy Fallon and James Corden are both just lame and their skits are just not funny. Then you have Jimmy Kimmel the ultimate corporate sell out. He used to be edgier when he was on the Man Show, now he is a shell of his former self.

It is pretty telling that there was a poll recently done about who was America's favorite talk show hosts and numbers one and two were Johnny Carson and David Letterman. Because they were good at their jobs, especially NBC era David Letterman. It is pretty sad when Carson who has been off the air for what thirty years is still considered the best.

Watch old clips of Carson on YouTube and you will see why he is considered the best. Or watch Letterman and see how there were some guests he just had total disdain for and he did not even try to hide it.

At this point, I say they should bring in Graham Norton from England because at least he is actually funny. Okay sorry about the rant.:D

Letterman wasn't funny to me. The only time I ever watched his show was when he had a musical guest I enjoyed.

Conan O'brien, Craig Ferguson, and Craig Kilborn will probably always be my favorites. I haven't watched in quite a few years but I also really used to enjoy Kimmel.

Do they have that one season of SNL when everyone was fired with the exception of Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo?

Man SNL is so terrible now. I understand that it goes in cycles and I have not watched this year. But every time I would watch last year, it seemed like every joke would just fall flat. The only time the show was half-way decent was when Eddie Murphy was brought back to host because he's Eddie Murphy.

For the record, when I got excited because Peacock had every season of SNL, I was excited because I'd get to watch all the shows I grew up a fan of in the 90s, with my favorite cast including Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Mike Myers, Adam Sandler, Norm MacDonald, David Spade, and of course Chris Farley, LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!!!!!

Not to mention the classic episodes from the 70s and 80s that I either hadn't seen before, or didn't remember all that well.

Couldn't really tellyou anything about 2020 SNL, as the only thing I've really seen is Bill Burr's monologue and one of the skits he was in on YouTube, (I like Bill Burr, what can I say?).

I'm almost strictly an 80s and 90s guy.

:o:D:o

If there was such a season as the one you mentioned, I'm pretty sure it's there.

As for talk shows, they've never really been my thing, but I watched my share of Jay Leno back in the 90s, as well as Conan O'Brien. I watched a little Jimmy Fallon a few years back, but I haven't kept up with it. And I watched The Colbert Report until it ended, and The Daily Show up until Jon Stewart left. I don't have anything against the new guy, FTR, I just kinda stopped is all. I watch Johnny Carson on Antenna TV from time to time. And when Robin Williams is the guest on there, I DVR it. I always like the old stuff.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Season three of Final Space finished up, so I am rewatching the first two seasons before starting it. So damn entertaining

I remember watching s1. I thought it was cancelled. Is s2/s3 good?

Infinity train and Final space was on my list.

Disney has been knocking it out of the park lately with its TV animation. The Owl House and Amphibia are both fantastic. The Owl House in particular is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite Disney cartoons. On top of being the best family horror-comedy since Gravity Falls (the creator of which does several voices on The Owl House) it's shockingly heartfelt and sincere in between all the dark humor and creepy parts.

Disney has been knocking it out of the park lately with its TV animation. The Owl House and Amphibia are both fantastic. The Owl House in particular is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite Disney cartoons. On top of being the best family horror-comedy since Gravity Falls (the creator of which does several voices on The Owl House) it's shockingly heartfelt and sincere in between all the dark humor and creepy parts.

Well those have now been added to my list of stuff to watch