Official TV Show Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

Wheel of Time starts off too rushed (particuarly the first 3 episodes) but it gets better every episode. It looks great and the music and casting are well done, IMO.

If you're a book reader you need to treat it as a different turning of the Wheel than the Books. Adapting 14 books into potentially 8 seasons of 8 episodes means a lot of the source matieral has to be cut or changed. The Behind the Scenes and Animated Shorts help to explain and flesh some stuff out.

• 3 weeks later...

My latest month of Disney+ is coming to an end.

I really enjoyed Hawkeye. Eventually. I hated the first episode, and thought Kate Bishop came off like an entitled rich girl being mean to her mother for no reason. But she turned it around, showcased a fun personality, and I want to see more of her in the MCU now.

I tapped out of What If? after two episodes. Just not into the animated fan fiction, even though the action in episode 1 was really cool.

I loved Brickleberry. An over-the-top, offensive, nothing-matters cartoon romp. I had seen the spiritual successor Paradise PD a while back, and I think I liked this more. My cup of tea.

Only Murders In The Building. Nice little show. Streaming needs more half-hour comedies.

Saw the first episode of Book of Boba Fett. Boring. I was bored. Any mystique that the character had when I first saw him has completely gone at this point, and I'm not sure what the guy has that would make me root for him. I'll probably watch the rest with my next D+ subscription. I do like me a Star War.

The wife has already jumped onto Netflix (I'm cheap, so two streaming services at once feels horribly wasteful to me) as she LOVES The Witcher. Season 2 is fine. Less ambitious than season 1, but the actress playing Ciri improved immensely. She actually has personality now.

The wife has already jumped onto Netflix (I'm cheap, so two streaming services at once feels horribly wasteful to me) as she LOVES The Witcher. Season 2 is fine. Less ambitious than season 1, but the actress playing Ciri improved immensely. She actually has personality now.

Is Yennefer less of a sociopath in this season? I got really tired of her "I was treated badly by my family so I'm still the victim even when I'm putting the lives of everyone around me in danger!". I get that she's supposed to be deeply flawed, but there are zero redeeming aspects to her in season one.

Is Yennefer less of a sociopath in this season? I got really tired of her "I was treated badly by my family so I'm still the victim even when I'm putting the lives of everyone around me in danger!". I get that she's supposed to be deeply flawed, but there are zero redeeming aspects to her in season one.

She's still kinda terrible, but isn't actively putting people in danger... as much. Has a habit of always needing to do the exact opposite of what she's being told to do, even if that contradicts her goals in previous episodes. She flip flops, and it's hard to tell if that's an intentional flaw, or just messy writing.

She's still kinda terrible, but isn't actively putting people in danger... as much. Has a habit of always needing to do the exact opposite of what she's being told to do, even if that contradicts her goals in previous episodes. She flip flops, and it's hard to tell if that's an intentional flaw, or just messy writing.

Well at least I'll be expecting it this time. Curse you Henry Cavill and your fantastic portrayal of Geralt forcing me to watch!

• 3 weeks later...
I just finished this last month and loved it

When Kevin and Holt reconnected in the rain I cried so hard :o

Such a phenomenal show. I wish there was more, but I'm glad they stopped before the quality dipped.

Anyone else watching Star Trek: Prodigy? I just watched the latest episode and it's so much fun. I'm not a die hard Trekkie/Trekker/whatever, but I do enjoy most everything I've seen over the years. Prodigy reminds me of the mid 90s Nickelodeon show Space Cases in some ways.

• 2 weeks later...

Binge watched Reacher on Amazon Prime. I would have liked to have taken my time with it, but my Prime membership expires tomorrow and I'm too cheap to spend £7.99 for another month.

I really like the Jack Reacher novels, and enjoyed Alan Ritchson in other things (mostly Blue Mountain State) so this was right up my alley. His version of Reacher is maybe younger and more emotionally vulnerable than I imagine him, but he has the size... which based on criticisms of the Tom Cruise movies was a point of contention for some fans. Good action. Maybe a little long. Really hope it does well so they can adapt the other 20+ books.

Seeing Timothy Olyphant in Mando and Book of Boba Fett made me want to revisit Justified. I only ever saw the first season back when it originally aired and then never got around to finishing it. Only a few episodes in, but Olyphant is like perfect in the role of cowboys no matter the setting. I think I'll finally check out Deadwood after I finish Justified. Reacher is on my radar as well.

• 2 months later...

After I finished Justified, I tried to get into The Expanse. I made it three seasons in and I felt like I was forcing myself to watch it just to finish it. I'm somewhat of a completionist when I start a series, but Expanse just doesn't hold my interest at all.

Started the anime Vinland Saga since it finally got an English dub and I am enjoying that quite a lot.

Finished Our Flag Means Death a couple nights ago and it was phenomenal. It goes into a direction I did not expect and I really hope it gets another season.

Started Peacemaker yesterday and now I only have one episode left. So, so, good. James Gunn is a genius and Cena is clicking big time in this role.

Probably going to binge Doom Patrol and Titans. I saw the first seasons of both, but it's been awhile so going to start from the beginning.

• 4 weeks later...

Binged the first part of Stranger Things 4 today, thought it was amazing as per always. Really loved it a lot. Stranger Things and Cobra Kai are the things that keep me subscribed to Netflix.

Saw that new Ricky Gervais stand-up comedy special as well. Enjoyed that a lot. Good stuff.

Started watching "ObiOne Kenobi" on Disney+ and boy, was it boring. I like Star Wars and - like the movies - the production values are good. But I literaly fell asleep. A contrast with the Mandalorian, which did make me at least watch it.

Talking about Gervais: I finally finished the Office US and the last few episodes of the 9th and last season were wonderful.

MINOR SPOILERS: So one of the Inquisitors has a history with Obi. That might be intriguing. Apart from that, there's just nothing hooking me to the next episode.

Obi-Wan is solid so far. Hopefully it kicks up a few notches in the last few episodes. But I also enjoyed Boba Fett despite lukewarm reviews.

Halfway through Strangers Things S4 and they managed to maintain the quality. In fact I think it has the potential to be the best season yet.

I really enjoyed the first episode of Kenobi. Gonna watch the second tonight.

But I also enjoy slow burn type stuff.

Unrelated, but when they announced Mr Mayor was cancelled I was miffed. Then I got caught up and watched the Titi B episodes and the show deserves cancellation for that character alone. Anytime TV or movie writers try to be hip and use social media trends, it comes off really poorly and the actress playing her is awful as well.

Ted Danson and Bobby Moynihan deserve better, so hopefully they land somewhere else. Hell, Danson was most of the reason I watched the show in the first place. He's one of the best TV actors ever.

I really enjoyed the premiere of The Orville: New Horizons on The Hu last night. Really great show. So great, I declared, that it felt like it could have been a 1990s show. That's HIGH praise coming from me! Like I've said before, I've heard the phrase "breath of fresh air" all my life, but I can honestly say I REALLY feel it with The Orville. This show... is indeed a breath of fresh air.

• 1 month later...

Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan is one of the best casting choices the MCU has ever made. Despite them changing her powerset up, she is absolutely perfect as Kamala. She's full of charm and charisma and is infinitely likable.

Almost makes up for them picking a lifeless piece of bread to play Carol Danvers.

I finally gave Love, Death & Robots a chance recently and instantly fell in love! It's got so many things I adore in one package: gorgeous animation, bloody violence, memorable sci-fi settings, cosmic horror and a pitch black sense of humor. I read it started as an adaptation of the magazine Heavy Metal and that influence is crystal clear. It's like a TV version of the 80s movie except not horrifically overrated.

Seems I didn't post it in here, but I watched the last two episodes of Stranger Things in one sitting when they premiered, and they were fantastic!

Also, this past episode of The Orville: New Horizons was in particular outstanding, and could be my favorite of the series so far. Good stuff.